Swearing at work boosts team spirit and morale

Danny Tse
Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
edited October 2007 in The Clubhouse
Go ahead, express yourself....get it off of your chest.....
LONDON (AFP) — Regular swearing at work can help boost team spirit among staff, allowing them to express better their feelings as well as develop social relationships, according to a study by researchers.

Yehuda Baruch, a professor of management at the University of East Anglia, and graduate Stuart Jenkins studied the use of profanity in the workplace and assessed its implications for managers.

They assessed that swearing would become more common as traditional taboos are broken down, but the key appeared to be knowing when such language was appropriate and when to turn to blind eye.

The pair said swearing in front of senior staff or customers should be seriously discouraged or banned, but in other circumstances it helped foster solidarity among employees and express frustration, stress or other feelings.

"Employees use swearing on a continuous basis, but not necessarily in a negative, abusive manner," said Baruch, who works in the university's business school in Norwich.

Banning swear words and reprimanding staff might represent strong leadership, but could remove key links between staff and impact on morale and motivation, he said.

"We hope that this study will serve not only to acknowledge the part that swearing plays in our work and our lives, but also to indicate that leaders sometimes need to 'think differently' and be open to intriguing ideas.

"Managers need to understand how their staff feel about swearing. The challenge is to master the 'art' of knowing when to turn a blind eye to communication that does not meet their own standards."

The study, "Swearing at work and permissive leadership culture: when anti-social becomes social and incivility is acceptable", is published in the latest issue of the Leadership and Organisational Development Journal.
Post edited by Danny Tse on

Comments

• Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited October 2007
    Apparently not true where I work.
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited October 2007
    Get you fired at a lot of places.....

I was chewing the HR director at my work a new **** for this particular redundant policy misprint in our policy handbook pertaining to a workmans comp issue and SHE told me that she didnt appreciate my use of swearing during our conversation ? I was like WTF did I say ? She said she didnt like the use of my word CRAP ....I mean who thinks the word crap is a swear word ? But I have seen people fired over profanity .....
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • Danny Tse
    edited October 2007
    Hmmm....

Here at my gov't office, I have heard the F-bomb used here a number of times during shouting matches and no one got fired. In fact, one of our ex-Commissioners here dropped several F-bombs during her first "meet-and-greet" with the staff. She even got promoted....she's now Arnold's Chief of Staff!
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited October 2007
    Just tell everyone that you have turrets (sp) syndrome or something. I can swear at work and no one cares. Well, ok. I work alone at home unless I'm traveling. :D
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited October 2007
    I probably don't get through a single day without a few eff bombs, emmer effers, and a what the ****.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited October 2007
    I even get to use the F-bomb when speaking to my clients. :D
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited October 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    I probably don't get through a single day without a few eff bombs, emmer effers, and a what the ****.

Don't you own the place? You can get away with anything!
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 5,150
    edited October 2007
    I think this policy is a lot more relaxed in Europe in general, especially "southern" countries like France or Italy. Britain is actually more staid and conservative in this respect in my experience, but here in the U.S. we are far more puritanical than even the British. Just my $0.02! (I would not hire any HR person that gave anyone hassle for using cr@p, BTW: they just don't know enought about human nature and what's important in the workplace to direct HR IMO.)
    Alea jacta est!
  • Demiurge
    edited October 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Don't you own the place? You can get away with anything!

I'm the minority share right now, so unfortunately someone can still step on my balls if I got too out of hand. Thankfully he's worse than me when it comes to rattling off a brilliant string of profanity that there's not much I could say to offend. :p

The problem with swearing in the workplace is if it's ever in earshot of a customer, which has happened before when the customer was on the phone and one of the shop guys called him "a total f*king ****," when he thought he was on hold. That wasn't fun having to explain. :o
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited October 2007
    I have been trying to watch the mini expolsions and verbal outbursts at work but it's not working very well. Some of the "under thinking" office people will be leaving for good in 2 weeks after some adjustments, so things might improve soon.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 5,150
    edited October 2007
    Danny Tse wrote: »
    Hmmm....
    ... In fact, one of our ex-Commissioners here dropped several F-bombs during her first "meet-and-greet" with the staff. She even got promoted....she's now Arnold's Chief of Staff!
    Arnold obviously appreciates poetry!
    Alea jacta est!
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited October 2007
    This story is BS
    ;)
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited October 2007
    I have to cuss at work, I'm a warehouseman, they expect it.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited October 2007
    Here we have to be so nice to the dumbass clients that it is neccessary to have a cursing fest right after the meeting

Steve: If you ever want to get out of the warehouse and start designing them, telling management what dumasses they are, and don't mind moving East, let me know.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • Demiurge
    edited October 2007
    Pfft, and give up those govie bennies? heeeeeeellllll no.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited October 2007
    I love it when the hot chicks at work swear, it's quite sexy.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Danny Tse
    edited October 2007
    Ron-P wrote: »
    I love it when the hot chicks at work swear, it's quite sexy.

X2 if they swear at each other
  • Polk addict
    Polk addict Posts: 558
    edited October 2007
    My work is school, and that is definetely true!!
    Chiranth
    hoosier21 wrote:
    Cobra + SDA's = dead amps laying all around.
  • Ron-P
    edited October 2007
    Danny Tse wrote: »
    X2 if they swear at each other
    Or me, that's even better.
    If...
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited October 2007
    avguytx wrote: »
    Just tell everyone that you have turrets (sp) syndrome or something. I can swear at work and no one cares. Well, ok. I work alone at home unless I'm traveling. :D

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/J_n4UZgKtek&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/J_n4UZgKtek&rel=1&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • Ron-P
    edited October 2007
    Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    If...
  • Polk addict
    Polk addict Posts: 558
    edited October 2007
    What daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ..................
    Chiranth
    hoosier21 wrote:
    Cobra + SDA's = dead amps laying all around.
  • Danny Tse
    edited October 2007
    Wow!! What did they blipped out?
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,185
    edited October 2007
    Ok I can see where that comes from...

When you get hired to do a job, you are expected to meet certain requirements. You are assigned certain tasks that warrant your paycheck.

Before you start to swear at work, check your self. Do you have a reason to express yourself in this manor? You must be on top of your game first. No holes , nothing. Only then can you stand on any leg and get anywhere .think about this. I see many lazy people crying about how much there job sucks. Well work in general sucks, thats life man. you want to be paid, do your effing job.

I also agree that swearing is a good thing when it's nessary to make a strong point. But again you need to be on your game first.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited October 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Pfft, and give up those govie bennies? heeeeeeellllll no.

Amen to that brothaaaaaa....:D
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited October 2007
    Rule 1: Avoid it as much as possible. You can get into a real sticky
    mess under current sexual harrassment laws.

I know pop culture embraces it, but many workplaces are cracking down.

When I worked for Digital Equipment, HR ****'s would come out to inspect the
    workplace. No pictures(including family) no Dilbert cartoons, no swearing.
    We all had to go through week long training in how not to offend or sexually
    harrass anyone. This included not using the term "girls". Seems that they
    preferred to be called "Ladies".
    The only things hanging on the wall better be a calander or phone list.
    This is caused by lawsuits and lawers. The current employer is much better
    than DEC was about this. Still better to err on the side of caution.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited October 2007
    Geez!

At my day job I hear swearing all the time. Sometimes I catch myself doing. Try not to but I'm only human.

At my part time job though! Boy! If this article is right then my boss makes that job the happiest job on Earth!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited October 2007
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    Rule 1: Avoid it as much as possible. You can get into a real sticky
    mess under current sexual harrassment laws.

I know pop culture embraces it, but many workplaces are cracking down.

When I worked for Digital Equipment, HR ****'s would come out to inspect the
    workplace. No pictures(including family) no Dilbert cartoons, no swearing.
    We all had to go through week long training in how not to offend or sexually
    harrass anyone. This included not using the term "girls". Seems that they
    preferred to be called "Ladies".
    The only things hanging on the wall better be a calander or phone list.
    This is caused by lawsuits and lawers. The current employer is much better
    than DEC was about this. Still better to err on the side of caution.

And was your morale raised these rules or decreased? Isn't that the point of the article? ;)
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited October 2007
    I was never a big fan of it in the workplace, but it wasn't too long ago that you could find **** mags in the magazine piles at work. Nude pictures in lockers, etc.. Nothing in public view of course.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited October 2007
    jdhdiggs wrote: »
    And was your morale raised these rules or decreased? Isn't that the point of the article? ;)

No. I was happy to leave. But still, the lesson was learned.
    Better safe than sorry. You will do what you are in the habit of doing.
    If you're in an office, keep it in check. If you're a Longshoreman, feel
    free to express yourself.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson