Banned Member?

13»

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,980
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, H.I., very transparent.

ABX, I would like to remind you that you are not a moderator or an administrator on this site. Regardless of how your other dealings have been, this is CP. I can say without much doubt that your opinions on how to run a forum are not welcome. By the members and the admin./mods..

This forum is a better place because he is gone. End of story.

He was "given the hint" that he was walking out on a limb about to break and he chose to ignore it [after taking a swipe at the administrator, might I add] and ended up confronting many folks that were trying to help him out.

The last thread he was involved with was shot off the topic after his first post, never to get back on topic, even after being reminded to get back on topic a couple of times, until the thread author came back and simply said this.......
    analog97 wrote: »
    I started this thread asking advice on a simple question. Excellent advice quickly came in and confirmed my own experimentation. There is NO benefit to bridging the 125 watt Parasound amp and using it to drive a single 1.2 TL. It is much better to do the classic bi-amp configuration. So, thanks for your advice (again). :D Then, for some strange reason, this thread went South (pun intended to the Tampa guy). Nice to know there is an involved moderator. Thanks, whoever you are.

He was attempting to be everybody's "daddy" and teach us things he had no clue about. Even the basics. When asked a question, he would not answer them [If he even read some of them], pretty much throwing an intelligent conversation out the door. Progress cannot be achieved this way.

Then there was the cursing thing. Once in a blue moon seems acceptable on this forum, from what I have observed. When there are 4-5 per post....bye-bye. Especially when many of the the confrontations and cursing are directed at respected senior members.

The forum administrators and moderators IMO do a fantastic job of putting up with [some] folks / loose cannons. Sometimes they have to make a decision for the good of the forum. The decision was made. Deal with it.

Now, can we get back to talking about what this site is all about, that being audio?
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    edited October 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    Actually, he does. ABX's ip and ka7niq's last ip addy both trace back to Verizon in Tampa.
    Just read that. "Things that make you go hmmmmmmm".
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,440
    edited October 2007
    The lights are on, but no one is home.

Moving on.......
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited October 2007
    I'm movin on up . . . to the East Side . . .
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,574
    edited October 2007
    Applause.gif

310689372_2682641fbf_o.jpg
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited October 2007
    You are right, you are new here so stop your pontification and stirring up the pot and continue to reading!:rolleyes: You may have been a moderator or admin elsewhere but what I am seeing from you now is just a newb with a big mouth trying to lecture.

BTW your manipulation is very, very transparent.:rolleyes:

My ignore list was added to yesterday. Something like 25± posts and not one of them was worth wasting even a few seconds to read.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • ABX
    ABX Posts: 109
    edited October 2007
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Yeah, H.I., very transparent.

ABX, I would like to remind you that you are not a moderator or an administrator on this site. Regardless of how your other dealings have been, this is CP. I can say without much doubt that your opinions on how to run a forum are not welcome. By the members and the admin./mods..

This forum is a better place because he is gone. End of story.

He was "given the hint" that he was walking out on a limb about to break and he chose to ignore it [after taking a swipe at the administrator, might I add] and ended up confronting many folks that were trying to help him out.

The last thread he was involved with was shot off the topic after his first post, never to get back on topic, even after being reminded to get back on topic a couple of times, until the thread author came back and simply said this.......

He was attempting to be everybody's "daddy" and teach us things he had no clue about. Even the basics. When asked a question, he would not answer them [If he even read some of them], pretty much throwing an intelligent conversation out the door. Progress cannot be achieved this way.

Then there was the cursing thing. Once in a blue moon seems acceptable on this forum, from what I have observed. When there are 4-5 per post....bye-bye. Especially when many of the the confrontations and cursing are directed at respected senior members.

The forum administrators and moderators IMO do a fantastic job of putting up with [some] folks / loose cannons. Sometimes they have to make a decision for the good of the forum. The decision was made. Deal with it.

Now, can we get back to talking about what this site is all about, that being audio?
    Man, we see things so very differently.
    I read several posts from forum members trying to teach him about sound of wires and interconnects, LOL
    I have read the entire thread you speak about, since it was his last thread here.
    The thread was started by the guy you quoted, but got sidetracked way before Specal K ever arrived.
    There was a guy with a Crown amp in the thread, and several were bashing it.
    Special K did not start the thread going downhill.
    If you look past the posturing and flamboyant personalities involved, there is actually some knowledge contained in that thread on both sides.
    Sometimes, vigorus debate is a good thing, our country was founded upon it.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,163
    edited October 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    Actually, he does. ABX's ip and ka7niq's last ip addy both trace back to Verizon in Tampa.

He (ABX) must be one of the pissed off friends he mentions in post #53. I'm guessing KA7NIQ is probably sitting right next to him prompting him.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited October 2007
    ABX=Ka7niq

He is the only guy who uses "LOL" in nearly every post.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited October 2007
    There is some good debate here, if you look past personal opinions and evaluate what's being said objectively, some good points were made about seniority, strong opinion, saying the wrong thing to the wrong person, etc.

I like people with strong opinions, whether I agree with them or not. It shows passion, I don't think we see enough of that. Picking a fight, saying things just to piss someone off is wrong and shouldn't be tolerated. Bragging is not bragging if you've done it (Dizzy Dean - that one's for you Zombie)Being and **** is inexcusable is shouldn't be tolerated. Russ is correct membership is a privilege not a right.

I just hope we don't get too trigger happy in banning people. We need good, participating members. People who want to learn about hifi or have something to reveal to us.

Just one example. Most people don't like John K's opinion on cables, I think he has a good knowledge of classical music. I don't necessarily agree on his cable stance, but I like his music recommendations.

Discussions about Mercury in the Clubhouse could be relevant, too much emotion about it isn't.

Last but not least, let's not forget that the tasteful babe thread would get most of us fired at our jobs if we started a similar thread on the company's web page.

My point is the rules can be a little confusing because sometimes not everyone is treated equally. We had a member that could have been banned for making derogatory remarks about someone's sexual preference. Points, were made, apologies stated, maybe some lingering hard feelings, but we got over it. We're kind of like a cyber family, we should take the bad with the good, be respectful, express remorse, make peace with your brothers and sisters, or risk being banned. My advice is to practice good common sense when responding to a thread. Pissing people off for the sport of it can be dangerous. Then again, some people are just jagoffs:eek:

I'm off to the tasteful babe thread:D
    Carl

• shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited October 2007
    ABX=Ka7niq

He is the only guy who uses "LOL" in every post.

Kinda like doing this..... http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=5be_1192403126
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • ABX
    edited October 2007
    Very well said Carl.
  • ABX
    edited October 2007
    LOL LOL LOL LOL That was funny!
  • treitz3
    edited October 2007
    ABX wrote: »
    Man, we see things so very differently.
    I read several posts from forum members trying to teach him about sound of wires and interconnects, LOL
    He's not the only one......;)
    ABX wrote: »
    The thread was started by the guy you quoted, but got sidetracked way before Specal K ever arrived.
    OK, you got me on that one. Apparently my memory is not like that of an elephant's. I am human after all.
  • ABX
    edited October 2007
    treitz3 wrote: »
    He's not the only one......;)

OK, you got me on that one. Apparently my memory is not like that of an elephant's. I am human after all.
    No big deal man, it was just kinda fresh in my mind since I just read it.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited October 2007
    schwarcw wrote: »
    There is some good debate here, if you look past personal opinions and evaluate what's being said objectively, some good points were made about seniority, strong opinion, saying the wrong thing to the wrong person, etc.

I like people with strong opinions, whether I agree with them or not. It shows passion, I don't think we see enough of that. Picking a fight, saying things just to piss someone off is wrong and shouldn't be tolerated. Bragging is not bragging if you've done it (Dizzy Dean - that one's for you Zombie)Being and **** is inexcusable is shouldn't be tolerated. Russ is correct membership is a privilege not a right.

I just hope we don't get too trigger happy in banning people. We need good, participating members. People who want to learn about hifi or have something to reveal to us.

Just one example. Most people don't like John K's opinion on cables, I think he has a good knowledge of classical music. I don't necessarily agree on his cable stance, but I like his music recommendations.

Discussions about Mercury in the Clubhouse could be relevant, too much emotion about it isn't.

Last but not least, let's not forget that the tasteful babe thread would get most of us fired at our jobs if we started a similar thread on the company's web page.

My point is the rules can be a little confusing because sometimes not everyone is treated equally. We had a member that could have been banned for making derogatory remarks about someone's sexual preference. Points, were made, apologies stated, maybe some lingering hard feelings, but we got over it. We're kind of like a cyber family, we should take the bad with the good, be respectful, express remorse, make peace with your brothers and sisters, or risk being banned. My advice is to practice good common sense when responding to a thread. Pissing people off for the sport of it can be dangerous. Then again, some people are just jagoffs:eek:

I'm off to the tasteful babe thread:D

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Shut up!!!:p
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited October 2007
    Sona wrote: »
    Please tell me who the moderators are. (User names please if they are generally known.) Are the moderators Polk employees and list members, or list members who are asked to moderate? Or back room IT people with no list presence at all? (I'm only aware of Kenneth Swauger and Justin, but I have only ever been aware of KS posting.) Or do long term members perhaps have access to friends at Polk or hold some sway with them in regards to banning - or of more concern - obtaining private information about forum members?

Who has access to our IP addresses? Are PM's screened? It bothers me that ABX's/ka7niq's IP and geographic information was posted in a public forum. Is this something any member can look up, and I just didn't know that or is it something only those with access to the servers can get?

On the one hand, I like the broad leeway we seem to be given on the forum, allowing us to express ourselves as we please, including criticizing Polk products, and sometimes using the F word if we choose. I do think there is some questionable material on this forum, including the tasteful babe thread. Still part of what interests me about this forum is the chance to experience a mostly unexpurgated male space so I don't raise objections to such content.

This is a company sponsored forum, however, and therefore any content here comes with the implicit imprimateur of Polk. I certainly wouldn't want to have to explain such content if an Equal Opportunity lawsuit were brought against them. I value free speech to an obscene degree so I don't want restrictions, but if I were a stressy legal type employed by them, I imagine I'd be popping antacids, and wondering when the forum contents would come back to bite me in the ****.

If you are bothered by anything then kindly leave as well, and don't let the door hit you on the way out. No one is forcing you to stay.

It really blows my mind that people can sit here and complain about the forum yet they still keep coming back!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,163
    edited October 2007
    Sona wrote: »
    Please tell me who the moderators are. (User names please if they are generally known.) Are the moderators Polk employees and list members, or list members who are asked to moderate? Or back room IT people with no list presence at all? (I'm only aware of Kenneth Swauger and Justin, but I have only ever been aware of KS posting.) Or do long term members perhaps have access to friends at Polk or hold some sway with them in regards to banning - or of more concern - obtaining private information about forum members?

Who has access to our IP addresses? Are PM's screened? It bothers me that ABX's/ka7niq's IP and geographic information was posted in a public forum. Is this something any member can look up, and I just didn't know that or is it something only those with access to the servers can get?

On the one hand, I like the broad leeway we seem to be given on the forum, allowing us to express ourselves as we please, including criticizing Polk products, and sometimes using the F word if we choose. I do think there is some questionable material on this forum, including the tasteful babe thread. Still part of what interests me about this forum is the chance to experience a mostly unexpurgated male space so I don't raise objections to such content.

This is a company sponsored forum, however, and therefore any content here comes with the implicit imprimateur of Polk. I certainly wouldn't want to have to explain such content if an Equal Opportunity lawsuit were brought against them. I value free speech to an obscene degree so I don't want restrictions, but if I were a stressy legal type employed by them, I imagine I'd be popping antacids, and wondering when the forum contents would come back to bite me in the ****.

It's simple, really, if you are offended more than you are enlightened, then you can always log off permanetly. I assure you no one has broken any laws and an "Equal Opportunity Lawsuit" would be comical at best. :rolleyes:

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2007
    Any moderator has access to IP information, none of which has been, or will ever be disclosed.

ka7niq made it VERY clear he was from Tampa, even went so far as to advertise his personal business website in his signature. ABX appears to be either ka7niq, or one of his buddies. The truth will come out, it always does. That being said, nothing has been disclosed on either member that hasn't already been stated, or become painfully obvious.

I am a moderator, as is Dorokusai (Mark). Justin is the forum administrator. A lot of people at Polk have moderator rights. The list of Polk employees on the board can be found at the link below.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showgroups.php

There are rules to be followed, and any banning Justin is made aware of via the logs in forum control panel applet. If he feels it was uncalled for, he can and will lift the 'ban'.

PM's are private, in every sense. No one has access to your private messages short of yourself, and whomever you sent the message to.

There is little tolerence for trolls, fight pickers, theives, whiners, and those that simply don't know when to quit. Sure, there is some grey area - but no one (that I know of) has ever been banned just because someone wanted them banned, or simply didn't like them. This is not a public forum, it is a private forum, owned and operated by Polk Audio.

Again, before joining the forum, you clicked 'I Agree' to the following rules:

Forum Rules

Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please check the 'I agree' checkbox and press the 'Register' button below. If you would like to cancel the registration, click here to return to the forums index.

Although the administrators and moderators of Club Polk will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of Club Polk, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The owners of Club Polk reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

/////////////////

Cheers,
    Russ

Now, let's all get back to 'experiencing a mostly unexpurgated male space'. ;)
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
This discussion has been closed.