Anyone familiar with the Glock 19?

MikeC78
MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
edited September 2007 in The Clubhouse
I need to learn about this weapon quick.

Anyone know where the mag release is located? I see there is a safety on the trigger itself, what other safety mechanism does it have? I'm not catching much on the website.

The only handgun I'm really familiar with is the Beretta M9.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Post edited by MikeC78 on

Comments

• Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited September 2007
    It's on the side.
  • MikeC78
    edited September 2007
    Is it like the Beretta in thumb reach?

Anything important I should know about?

Thanks!
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited September 2007
    It's within thumb's reach, it's a little awkward though.

I'm not sure if the Beretta will fire without a magazine in, but the Glock definitely will.

And keep your thumbs down while firing. ;)
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • MikeC78
    edited September 2007
    Thanks Face! Know anything about the safety mechanism?
  • Demiurge
    edited September 2007
  • Face
    edited September 2007
    Besides the trigger, there's also a internal safety or two to prevent the gun from firing if dropped, etc. There's no external safety switch.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • MikeC78
    edited September 2007
    Thanks Demi! Just like the Beretta release actually.

Funny, I've actually held this weapon soo many times I can't even count. I just never fired it, the government supplies these to the Iraqi police.
  • MikeC78
    edited September 2007
    Face wrote: »
    Besides the trigger, there's also a internal safety or two to prevent the gun from firing if dropped, etc. There's no external safety switch.

Thanks for clearing that up! I believe I have all the grounds covered, pretty simple weapon actually.
  • Demiurge
    edited September 2007
    The trigger can only be pulled from center. There's no button to puch for the safety, so you don't have to worry about it.

I don't own a Glock anymore because I don't like how they feel (they operate very well).

I prefer the Springfield Armory XDs in .45, personally, and their safety system is a little more intuitive. The trigger cannot be pulled unless your hand depresses the mechanisim in the back of the gun in conjunction with the trigger, in short, it takes an adult hand to pull the trigger, both in grip and in force.

The mag release on both guns is very nice. The Glock can get in the way if you have larger hands like I do, but it does make for quick mag changes.
  • MikeC78
    edited September 2007
    Thanks Demi! Not my weapon by choice, just standard issued equipment that I need to learn and qualify with.

The XD looks like a Glock on steroids! I'd love to get my hands on one of those.
  • Demiurge
    edited September 2007
    XD9421.jpg

That's the one I have.

Springfield Armory XD .45 ACP 5" Tactical Bi-Tone. Best gun in the collection for me. Love, love, love it.
  • MikeC78
    edited September 2007
    Very nice, I'm extremely jealous! Exact caliber I'd get, might as well make it good!:D

Where did you pick it up, local gun shop? If you don't mind posting, how many bones did you pay? PM me if you'd like.
  • MikeC78
    edited September 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    The mag release on both guns is very nice. The Glock can get in the way if you have larger hands like I do, but it does make for quick mag changes.

Same issue with me, felt like I was holding a toy. I know they have an extension piece for the mags, I might have to grab those.
  • Demiurge
    edited September 2007
    I bought it new locally at a gun shop in West Allis, WI as soon as they came out. It was the last Chrome Bi-Tone they had left in stock at the time, and I have heard it was a hard finish to get. I'm not sure about that now, in fact, there appear to be some minute design changes since I bought mine. It was the NRA gun of the year last year and has been giving Glock a run for it's money, which is always good to see.

Price tag was $600 ($599.00 :rolleyes: :p ) before all fees and taxes.
  • MikeC78
    edited September 2007
    Not bad price, figured it would be more for that finish. Still jealous... :p

Anyway, off to the range this weekend. Can't wait to get my hands on my favorite rifle, the M4. Wish I could slug off a few 203 rounds while I was at it!:D
  • Demiurge
    edited September 2007
    I forgot we aren't supposed to talk about guns here because someone nancy might wet his or her pants.

Since it's for the Military and good of the country I think we're okay. :p:p
  • Demiurge
    edited September 2007
    MikeC78 wrote: »
    Not bad price, figured it would be more for that finish. Still jealous... :p

Anyway, off to the range this weekend. Can't wait to get my hands on my favorite rifle, the M4. Wish I could slug off a few 203 rounds while I was at it!:D

Ugh, you're not the only one. I'd love to have one.
  • MikeC78
    edited September 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    I forgot we aren't supposed to talk about guns here because someone nancy might wet his or her pants.

Since it's for the Military and good of the country I think we're okay. :p:p

:o Really?? Sorry for making a thread then.

Actually, I finished the canoe club in Jan. This is for a WPPS contract though, but good for the country.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited September 2007
    This makes me wanna go to the shooting range again.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited September 2007
    The best thing about the Glock was how it kicked. Very inline not a whole lot of upswing.

Like someone else said Watch your thumbs keep them down. It will slice and dice if you give it the chance.

This is a pic of the Sig Sauer 220 I owned.

220n.jpg
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited September 2007
    Guns. Love them, but don't need them now. I'll rather spend the money in gear :)

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited September 2007
    That is why it said Sig Sauer I owned.;)
  • Face
    edited September 2007
    If you find the 19 too small for your mits, give the 17 a try.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited September 2007
    MikeC78 wrote: »
    I need to learn about this weapon quick.

Anyone know where the mag release is located? I see there is a safety on the trigger itself, what other safety mechanism does it have? I'm not catching much on the website.

The only handgun I'm really familiar with is the Beretta M9.

Thanks in advance for any help.

There's 3 safeties:

1. Snag safety (front of trigger face)
    2. Firing pin safety (internal)
    3. Drop safety (internal)

Glock's are like a revolver; if they are loaded (round chambered), they will shoot--there's no safety lever.

The standard trigger is 5.5lbs and is "quasi-double action" in that it is striker fired. (no exposed hammer).

Good guns, accurate, durable/reliable in the extreme, and easy/cheap replacement parts. Tons of aftermarket parts as well. The Glock 19 is one of the most popular Glock models, compact yet holds 15 rds of 9mm. Should shoot most any ammo inside of 3" at 25yds. Another good thing about Glock's, sans catastrophic failure; there's nothing you can't fix on a Glock yourself.

Enjoy, now go to Walmart and buy up some Winchester White Box 9mm 100rds/$15.97, and then get your NRA membership. Anyone who owns a gun should be an NRA member. they support our rights to shoot/hunt, we should support them.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • AALEE
    AALEE Posts: 51
    edited September 2007
    OMG, Get off this she-ite. I just about puked on my cat.... My older brother was killed with one of those. Come on all, this is not an arms thread, get back to rockin
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,489
    edited September 2007
    my friend just bought a 17L. very cool at the range.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited September 2007
    audiobliss wrote: »
    This makes me wanna go to the shooting range again.

I'llbe there sunday. I'm still old school with a colt 1911 based colt defender. Not a big fan on DA only pistols. I guess I'm just not open to change.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited September 2007
    AALEE wrote: »
    OMG, Get off this she-ite. I just about puked on my cat.... My older brother was killed with one of those. Come on all, this is not an arms thread, get back to rockin

No, actually we was killed by a human. But I am sorry to hear that.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited September 2007
    Joe08867 wrote: »
    That is why it said Sig Sauer I owned.;)

Sig Sauer P220 owner here, very accurate. At the range, It would really bug me when I had to shake the 9MM shell out of the 45 casings.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • Demiurge
    edited September 2007
    steveinaz wrote: »
    No, actually we was killed by a human. But I am sorry to hear that.

Succint, polite, and precisely to the point.
This discussion has been closed.