Options

Comments

• billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,203
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I carry around one of these:

http://www.gerbergear.com/product.php?model=8485

Not the best, but after losing a couple of nice pocket knives to the security inspectors at the airport (due to my forgetfulness), I've decided not to have anything expensive.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Face wrote: »
    That's why I like pepper spray, it's a less than lethal alternative. For people who live in Cali or the northeast, someone has to do something pretty terrible for you to be able to draw a weapon on them.
    Plus there's less of a chance of someone suing you opposed to using a knife or other deadly weapon.

Don't get me wrong as I carry all 3 together (OC, knives, and pistols) but I don't want to have OC at gunfight, etc.

Also, would you rather get sued in court or get buried 6ft down? I've already made my decision, regional notwithstanding.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I'm glad to see we do have a few Kershaw users here. You who have them know just how nice they are.

I used to ALWAYS have a knife either clipped onto the edge of my pocket or, more recently, on the waist of my pants. However, I don't carry one that often anymore because of going to school. I've almost gotten out of the habbit. :(

My very first EDC was a Gerber lockback. Lost it running through the woods. Then I carried around a swiss army knife for the longest time. Then I carried a short little Buck knife for a while, but it was too small. I like having something MEATY in my hands. I carried a Kershaw Chive for quite a while, its neatness overshadowing its small size for a while, but finally I wanted something bigger. Next came a CRKT of some sort. It's been my only experience with CRKT, so I'm trying not to judge them too much on it, but it's been a cheap knife in my opinion. Then I carried a Kershaw 2415T for the longest time (liner-lock tanto-point).

But my daily carrier now is a Kershaw Blur 1670 with the plain blade. I don't like the half & half blades for some reason. If it's double-edged, then one side can be serrated; that's the best of both worlds. But if it just has one edge, I want it plain and sharp!

And I know what you mean about a dress knife. A friend gave me a nice(r) Scrimshaw Barlow that I carried to church for a while.

I don't have but a few knives that are really nice, but I do have a few in my collection.

Here are a few pics I took of my 'collection' a few years ago:
    img_0184.jpg
    img_0181.jpg
    img_0180.jpg

I'd still like to add a few SOG and Cold Steel knives to my knife drawer.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I-SIG wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong as I carry all 3 together (OC, knives, and pistols) but I don't want to have OC at gunfight, etc.

Also, would you rather get sued in court or get buried 6ft down? I've already made my decision, regional notwithstanding.
    I meant opposed to using a knife. I carry O.C.(Sabre red or blue) along with a pistol. I had a incident that the O.C. came in real handy. If I would have resorted to the firearm, it would not have been good.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Face wrote: »
    I carry O.C.(Sabre red or blue) along with a pistol. I had a incident that the O.C. came in real handy.

Are you wandering the streets of Wyandanch to carry all that stuff :D
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited September 2007
    Options
    When I do side work, yes. :D
    The funny part is, that incident took place in Wantagh.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited September 2007
    Options
    There's always a battle to convince people that knives are carried to be used as a tool, not for self defense. I carry one everywhere (kershaw blur or byrd meadowlark - both plain edge) but lately I haven't as much just because it can be such a hassle explaining things. When I go out to a public place there's always that thought in my head that someone will take it wrong and think it's for a different purpose. This is one reason I prefer black knives over shiny ones - they're much easier to be subtle with and with an assisted opener it's hard enough to be subtle.

I've actually managed to keep the kershaw conceled enough to not have troubles with police. I know a few people that have had theirs taken because they think assisted openers are switch blades (the latter not being legal in bc).

Have you checked out the spyderco kiwi? I like the idea of a straight blade... it's a little expensive and lacks a belt clip but there's a good chance that'll be my next knife. The kershaw leek or chive would be a nice 'dress' knife too ;)
  • edbert
    edbert Posts: 1,041
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Help out the idiot, what is OC?
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited September 2007
    Options
    edbert wrote: »
    Help out the idiot, what is OC?

From Wikipedia
    Pepper spray (also known as OC spray (from "Oleoresin Capsicum"), OC gas, capsicum spray, or oleoresin capsicum)
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • edbert
    edbert Posts: 1,041
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Ah, thank you sir.
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited September 2007
    Options
    audiobliss wrote: »

I'm having 2004 flashbacks! :D
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited September 2007
    Options
    audiobliss wrote: »
    I'm glad to see we do have a few Kershaw users here. You who have them know just how nice they are.

I used to ALWAYS have a knife either clipped onto the edge of my pocket or, more recently, on the waist of my pants. However, I don't carry one that often anymore because of going to school. I've almost gotten out of the habbit. :(

My very first EDC was a Gerber lockback. Lost it running through the woods. Then I carried around a swiss army knife for the longest time. Then I carried a short little Buck knife for a while, but it was too small. I like having something MEATY in my hands. I carried a Kershaw Chive for quite a while, its neatness overshadowing its small size for a while, but finally I wanted something bigger. Next came a CRKT of some sort. It's been my only experience with CRKT, so I'm trying not to judge them too much on it, but it's been a cheap knife in my opinion. Then I carried a Kershaw 2415T for the longest time (liner-lock tanto-point).

But my daily carrier now is a Kershaw Blur 1670 with the plain blade. I don't like the half & half blades for some reason. If it's double-edged, then one side can be serrated; that's the best of both worlds. But if it just has one edge, I want it plain and sharp!

And I know what you mean about a dress knife. A friend gave me a nice(r) Scrimshaw Barlow that I carried to church for a while.

I don't have but a few knives that are really nice, but I do have a few in my collection.

img_0184.jpg
    img_0181.jpg
    img_0180.jpg

I'd still like to add a few SOG and Cold Steel knives to my knife drawer.

UNIBLISS!
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited September 2007
    Options
    here's my everyday day carry knife:
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • hearingimpared
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Man that has a nice keen edge!
  • audiobliss
    edited September 2007
    Options
    PolkThug wrote: »
    I'm having 2004 flashbacks! :D
    Did you search for that thread, too? I had deleted those pictures a long time ago...I was relieved to find they were still on the forum floating around so I could save them to my HD.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited September 2007
    Options
    m00npie wrote: »
    Are you wandering the streets of Wyandanch to carry all that stuff :D

:D:D :eek:
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I actually ordered both the plainedge and the combination natives. Plainedge came today. Check it out

Will decide which one to keep
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Mike682 wrote: »
    I actually ordered both the plainedge and the combination natives. Plainedge came today. Check it out

Will decide which one to keep

The combo edge is a pain in the **** to sharpen, but I prefer them because it makes it easier to cut rope, etc. with it....I have three Benchmade automatics, to autostrykers and the name of the other escapes me at the moment, it is the "dress knife".....Those aren't exactly legal to carry around unless you happen to be active duty military or a cop though....;)
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited September 2007
    Options
    That Gerber Paraframe I looks like a nice little daily knife? How does it feel in terms of weight and how much space it takes up in a pocket?

I'm feeling I'm gonna have to go knife shopping tomorrow on my day off. The Smith & Wesson combat knife i daily carry is getting a bit large.
  • hearingimpared
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I carry this when I'm in a bad mood!!!:eek: :D
  • hearingimpared
    edited September 2007
    Options
    My knife's bigger than your knife!!!
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I think I'd like to get an Emerson Mini Commander next. A friend of mine took one to Iraq with him and was pleased with how well it held an edge. Dying to get my hands on one.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • capecodder
    capecodder Posts: 613
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Have carried a small pocketknife for probably 30 years. For past 20 yrs. its been a basic Gerber LST with a 2 1/2" blade because it is so light but still has a quality blade. I feel lost without it and it is NOT a form of self defense. Simply a valuable tool, its surprising how often I use it in day to day life. Never been a big deal but obviously now have to remember to not take it on planes etc. So many knives have goofy shapes, "feature" and serrations simply to look cool. A simple good blade and sturdy handle is all you usually need unless it is for a specialty use.
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited September 2007
    Options
    This is what I carry everyday......
    http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=9100

I have two of those, thanks US Army.....:D

This is the "dress knife"
    http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=4200

It is pretty thick in the pocket, it is really obvious in a pair of jeans....it hangs nice in a pair of slacks though....

This is just another present from Uncle Sam :)
    http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=140
  • audiobliss
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Ahh, I like that Autostryker. A friend has/had one. Very nice to play around with.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited September 2007
    Options
    that 140`s a beaut !
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • BaggedLancer
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Went out to Lowe's today to pick up sandpaper and paint for my bathroom redo, figured I'd stop by the knife section. Just happened to find myself one of those Gerber Paraframes....figured I'd give it a try. I think I found my new everyday carrier.
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited September 2007
    Options
    too bad...
    I was going to see if it was okay to put a new paraframe up fo Karme tonight..!

have an "extra", and if the Mods have no objections, I was gonna offer it up..

you will like it, it`s a good , lightweight everyday pocket knife...
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • BaggedLancer
    edited September 2007
    Options
    beardog03 wrote: »
    too bad...
    I was going to see if it was okay to put a new paraframe up fo Karme tonight..!

have an "extra", and if the Mods have no objections, I was gonna offer it up..

you will like it, it`s a good , lightweight everyday pocket knife...

Couldn't resist and i never win anything anyway....a rusty nail has more luck than me.
  • read-alot
    read-alot Posts: 812
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Cold Steel - Voyager
    polkaudio SRS (rdo194 x 8)
    Dodd ELP (separate power supply)
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo
    MIT (speaker cables) Outlaw (ICs)

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2