Just ordered a Spyderco knife

Options
Mike682
Mike682 Posts: 2,074
edited September 2007 in The Clubhouse
Anyone else have an everyday carry knife (EDC)?

Was doing some yard work the other day a needed to cut something. I ran into the house and grabbed kitchen knife......it was then that I realized I don't have a regular carry knife.

Should arrive in the next few days.

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=20
Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
Mains: polk R30
Center: polk CSi3
Rear Surrounds: polk R20
Subwoofer: polk PSW404
DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
Post edited by Mike682 on

Comments

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,871
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Nope I don't see the use in carrying a knife with me all the time
  • edbert
    edbert Posts: 1,041
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I keep a basic Schrade knife at my desk at work, I had one in my car(Swiss Army with tools, need to put that thing back in there, thanks for the reminder) and Husky knife/box cutter combo that I keep in the garage/house that I carry around while doing my odd jobs. Just keep it SHARP. I have seen one too many friends cut themselves on camping trips or at home with dull knives.

EDIT: I don't "carry" a knife with me but more or less have one available at my disposal wherever I happen to find myself in my daily life.
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Willow wrote: »
    Nope I don't see the use in carry a knife with me all the time

Same here.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Same here; don't see the need, and my kitchen knives are pretty much good for anything :p

Now, that looks cool....but how uncomfortable can that clip be when actually using the knife???

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited September 2007
    Options
    You never realize how much you'll use it until you carry it.

I've carried a lot of different small utility knives, but always come back to Spyderco. They're nice, lightweight, durable, hold an edge... just everything you need. Great choice.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • tcrossma
    tcrossma Posts: 1,301
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I have a sheetrock (utility) knife that I keep in my garage that takes care of most of my cutting needs. I don't have a need to carry a knife around with me all the time.
    Speakers: Polk LSi15
    Pre: Adcom GFP-750 with HT Bypass
    Amp: Pass Labs X-150
    CD/DVD Player: Classe CDP-10
    Interconnects: MIT Shortgun S3 Pro XLR
    Speaker cables: MIT MH-750 bi-wire
    TT:Micro Seiki DD-35
    Cartridge:Denon DL-160
    Phono Pre:PS Audio GCPH
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I have a Smith & Wesson that I used to carry with me until I realized it was a bit large with a blade just over 4 inches. I've been carrying around my little CRKT with me, absolutely love it.
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited September 2007
    Options
    lol..I'm lucky if i remember my wallet every morning
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I have a cheap ($20) folding knife I bought about 7 years ago from Cabelas that has served me well. I always carry it; biotech's a tough game :-)

FWIW, Cabelas doesn't seem to have anything like it anymore, tho' this is close:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=search_redir&id=0036292517222a&navCount=1&podId=0036292&parentId=cat20891&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=2UG&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20891
  • Mike682
    edited September 2007
    Options
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    You never realize how much you'll use it until you carry it.

I've carried a lot of different small utility knives, but always come back to Spyderco. They're nice, lightweight, durable, hold an edge... just everything you need. Great choice.

So true. It's just convenient to have a blade on hand.

Everyone I spoke to has had excellent things to say about spyderco.
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I have a Smith & Wesson that I used to carry with me until I realized it was a bit large with a blade just over 4 inches. I've been carrying around my little CRKT with me, absolutely love it.

x2 on the CRKT Bagged. My fiance's dad got me one for Christmas a couple of years ago; what a great little knife!

I would like a spyderco though; they make some great looking blades as well. I'm of the "I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it" school of thought, so I try to keep a watch, lighter and knife on me at all times. Leftover from my boyscout days I guess :)
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I always carry a pocketknife. I prefer CRKT and Benchmade but any knife will do in a pinch.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I carry / use mine constantly...nothing is more useful at home or work for me ( Use it at least 2 or 3 times a night at work...we are allowed to open our clean room ( Bunny :) ) suits inside our maint access cores ) Mine is a Kershaw Ken Onion 1550ST....well used.

Had to switch from right pocket to left though...very first time getting into my new 4x4 after I had it lifted I heard this noise getting in..wasnt a good noise...at least I put the first good scratch in my truck :)
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • 66chevyIISS
    66chevyIISS Posts: 857
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I carry this one with me everywhere. I got the Serrated blade though. I bought it a few years ago when I was working in HVAC. It is very handy and small enough to not get in the way.

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=15
    My Home Theater (WIP):
    Panasonic AE900 Projector - 126" screen, XBOX 360, Pioneer BDP-320 Bluray
    Receiver: Denon AVR-1905
    Fronts: RTi6's, Center: CSi5, Surrounds: RTi4, Rears: Denon
    Dual Subs: PSW202, and behind the couch Denon 8"

My showcase link:
    Media Room pics
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I had to buy a knife for a summer job a few years back and got a Schrade. Ended up losing it, but they are very helpful for odds and ends.

But, I find them too bulky/heavy to actually have in your pocket all day, and if you travel you really can't have one.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • bobman1235
    edited September 2007
    Options
    They make some REALLY lightweight ones nowadays if you're concerned about weight.

I like the combo serrated / straight blades, perfect for every occasion.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I find pepper spray more useful.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • bobman1235
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I know a lot of people think of carrying a pocket knife as some sort of weapon; if you're using a 2.5 inch blade in any form of self defense, you're screwed. It's just a useful tool to have on you, it in no way makes you more safe from bad guys (arguably makes you less so, since if you pull a tiny knife against someone dangerous, they're bound to do something drastic)./
  • Mike682
    edited September 2007
    Options
    yeah, I would not rely on a pocket knife for self defense unless in a last resort defensive situation.

I just like to carry for the odd and end things that come about during the day, especially now that I am always doing stuff around the house.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I used to have a classic pocketknife with me at all times until I was
    18. Every farmer joe I know carried one. Then the real world killed that.
    Just forget to pull that out of your pocket or laptop bag just once. The airport guys will completely freak out.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • bobman1235
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I remember, before 9/11, I used to nonchalantly take it out of my pocket at the airport, drop it in the little bucket at the scanner, and they'd hand it back to me after security.

No lie, that happened 2 or 3 times without a problem.

How times have changed.
  • sucks2beme
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Most adults and many of the boys in Boy Scouts used to carry a leatherman
    with them. Kinda like a swiss army knife. Anything you needed was in there.
    http://www.leathermanstore.com/
    If I was still on the farm, this is what I'd carry!
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I carry a leatherman in all of my cars.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • skipf
    skipf Posts: 694
    edited September 2007
    Options
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    I know a lot of people think of carrying a pocket knife as some sort of weapon; if you're using a 2.5 inch blade in any form of self defense, you're screwed. It's just a useful tool to have on you, it in no way makes you more safe from bad guys (arguably makes you less so, since if you pull a tiny knife against someone dangerous, they're bound to do something drastic)./

I don't know. If I pulled my trusty Schrade Old Timer three blade pocket knife out to confront the bad guys, they might just die laughing seeing this ole **** waving that 3" blade at 'em.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I stopped carrying pocket knives after 9/11 'cause I was traveling a good deal and it became more of a hassle than a benefit. However, I could carry a flat bladed screw driver that was 8 inches long and no one would give it a second look. That's more deadly than any pocketknife could ever try to be. Kinda silly but hey, what can I say?

The Leathermans and such are nice but I never found them as useful as others have. I have my Victorinox knives, a few of them actually, and they serve me well on camping trips and such. For the car though, I have small tool sets with ratchets, sockets and screwdrivers with some other small specialty tools too.

For work, I have two bags with about $400 in tools for working on servers, telecommunications equipment and other hardware. A Leatherman type tool just wouldn't work in that environment though 'cause it's hard to get them through ESD certification.

My most useful "everything" tool would be my wire dikes. I have three sizes and they get used to cut through most anything. Beyond that, a Number 3 sized Philips head screw driver gets whipped out more often than anything.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • sucks2beme
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Jstas wrote: »
    I stopped carrying pocket knives after 9/11 'cause I was traveling a good deal and it became more of a hassle than a benefit. However, I could carry a flat bladed screw driver that was 8 inches long and no one would give it a second look. That's more deadly than any pocketknife could ever try to be. Kinda silly but hey, what can I say?

The Leathermans and such are nice but I never found them as useful as others have. I have my Victorinox knives, a few of them actually, and they serve me well on camping trips and such. For the car though, I have small tool sets with ratchets, sockets and screwdrivers with some other small specialty tools too.

For work, I have two bags with about $400 in tools for working on servers, telecommunications equipment and other hardware. A Leatherman type tool just wouldn't work in that environment though 'cause it's hard to get them through ESD certification.

My most useful "everything" tool would be my wire dikes. I have three sizes and they get used to cut through most anything. Beyond that, a Number 3 sized Philips head screw driver gets whipped out more often than anything.

The only way for me to get tools on a plane is checking the
    case. Carry on with even a pocket screwdriver will land you in trouble.
    I left a small screwdriver in my laptop bag last year. You would of thought I had Bid Laden in there. Officers swarming from all over.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I carry the Polk Audio multi-tool that SCompracer gave me. It has two different sizes of blades and is almost identical to a Swiss Army butterfly knife. I agree with the fact that you don't realize how much you need it until you carry it with you.
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited September 2007
    Options
    THe only time I don`t have a knife on me is in the shower !

I have an extensive collection....one for eacjh day of the week/different outings/dress knife, etc.

one can never have too many knives !
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited September 2007
    Options
    beardog03 wrote: »
    THe only time I don`t have a knife on me is in the shower !

I have an extensive collection....one for eacjh day of the week/different outings/dress knife, etc.

one can never have too many knives !

What actually constitutes a "dress knife"?
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Patent leather thongs!