buying a guitar

POLKOHOLIC
POLKOHOLIC Posts: 407
edited August 2007 in The Clubhouse
im looking to buy a guitar. i have never played and just want to learn a bit by reading some books. i do not know anyone who plays a guitar.

basically, i'm looking for a 100-150 dollar acoustic guitar. used is fine. also, any tips on what an absolute noob like me should look out for. i know there are 6 string and 12 string guitars available and assume that 6 is what im looking for. i want to buy online and don't really want to go out and buy from a shop. something that has good reviews and is an awesome value.
Post edited by POLKOHOLIC on

Comments

• SLOCOOKN
    SLOCOOKN Posts: 704
    edited August 2007
    POLKOHOLIC wrote: »
    im looking to buy a guitar. i have never played and just want to learn a bit by reading some books. i do not know anyone who plays a guitar.

basically, i'm looking for a 100-150 dollar acoustic guitar. used is fine. also, any tips on what an absolute noob like me should look out for. i know there are 6 string and 12 string guitars available and assume that 6 is what im looking for. i want to buy online and don't really want to go out and buy from a shop. something that has good reviews and is an awesome value.

You should buy from a local shop and befriend the owner and staff if you are even somewhat serious. They can fit you with a guitar and let you try several different designs.

Then you can stop in from time to time when you get bored and pick up free tips and good deals!
    :eek: From the bottom it looks like a steep incline, From the top another down hill slope of mine.:mad: But I know the equilibrium's there!:cool: .."Faith No More" :D
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    AudioQuest Crystal 2 spk wire
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
    VMPS Original Tall Boy (Mega Woofers soon)
  • POLKOHOLIC
    edited August 2007
    thats the thing...im not sure if i even am THAT serious. i just want to see how it goes and if i really get interested than maybe I could try to get better stuff and maybe even lessons
  • SLOCOOKN
    SLOCOOKN Posts: 704
    edited August 2007
    thats the thing...im not sure if i even am THAT serious. i just want to see how it goes and if i really get interested than maybe I could try to get better stuff and maybe even lessons

Your local shop is the best way to stay interested while playing. If you go in and explain that you are just starting out they should be more that willing to help you. You stated that you don't know anyone who plays. You will meet different people who might be willing to help you along the way.

I have been playing for 10 years and still get bored from time to time!

Just my thoughts! :)

Steve
    :eek: From the bottom it looks like a steep incline, From the top another down hill slope of mine.:mad: But I know the equilibrium's there!:cool: .."Faith No More" :D
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    AudioQuest Crystal 2 spk wire
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
    VMPS Original Tall Boy (Mega Woofers soon)
  • edbert
    edbert Posts: 1,041
    edited August 2007
    My advice, go to a shop. Take a lesson or two. You will find out faster taking a lesson from a real person whether you like it because they will be able to show you things that a book just can't. You might even be able to take some guitar classes without owning an actual guitar.
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited August 2007
    You aren't going to get a good enough guitar to learn on in that price range new. Used, maybe....

Can you buy a guitar new for $150? Yes.

Problem is, it's crap, and a crappy instrument is going to produce crap sound, no matter how good you may be. Crappy sound will make you frustrated and it'll make it easier to quit.

I have been playing for a really long time and I would say you should try to go used or make the decision to stick with it and spend $300-$500 on one. That's the bare minimum I would spend on a new guitar. $700-$900 price range you'll find some really good guitars. The great ones are around $1200+
  • POLKOHOLIC
    edited August 2007
    i should also have mentioned that time is also an issue in regard to lessons. im a full time student and have a part time job. i want to pretty much practice playing whenever i have free time which can be late at night, weekends etc.. but there is no set day and time that i can schedule towards just praticing.
  • POLKOHOLIC
    edited August 2007
    used is fine...where can i find used guitars other than ebay?
  • Demiurge
    edited August 2007
    Pawn shops, mom and pop instrument shops will have used equipment as well. Craigs list would be good as well...
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited August 2007
    used is fine...where can i find used guitars other than ebay?

tons on Craigslist..plus it's local..you can really low-ball there..i would NEVER sell a guitar there because of it..people selling guitars on Craigslist are pretty desperate to get some cash and just get rid of them...

I mostly learned guitar from magazines that had tablature in it..tablature is the poor man's music notation...

that way I learned to play my favorite songs at the same time...it gets pretty boring trying to learn guitar from books..

that being said, I wish I would have taken lessons from a real person..now I'm loaded with bad habits and not as good as I should be..I can "copy" a lot of songs, but I'm not really up on the theory on what i'm doing..
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • carpenter
    carpenter Posts: 362
    edited August 2007

and this is, like others say, exactly why it doesn't matter what you end up with. Playing has a way of getting you hooked. Once (if) it does, you'll find yourself looking at Guild, Gibson and Takamine catalogs in no time.
    have fun man ;)
    "If the global crisis continues, by the end of the year Only two Banks will be operational, the Blood Bank and the Sperm Bank. Then these 2 banks will merge and it will be called 'The Bloody **** Bank'"
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited August 2007
    Can you rent a good one from a music store ?
    I know you can around here.
  • JimBRICK
    JimBRICK Posts: 1,543
    edited August 2007

I bought this guitar for bringing to camp and stuff and for the money it sounds great

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-PR150-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=512457
    2 CHANNEL
    Speaker - Klipsch Heresy II
    Under construction
  • carpenter
    carpenter Posts: 362
    edited August 2007
    JimBRICK wrote: »
    I bought this guitar for bringing to camp and stuff and for the money it sounds great

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-PR150-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=512457

Epiphone are associated in some way with Gibson right?
    Damn, thats a good price :cool:
    "If the global crisis continues, by the end of the year Only two Banks will be operational, the Blood Bank and the Sperm Bank. Then these 2 banks will merge and it will be called 'The Bloody **** Bank'"
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited August 2007
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited August 2007
    I have bought giutars on line and in shops, I like the shops, they are quite competitive and many have used products, one thing, when you get the guitar on-line you can expect to need a shop to really set it up for you, of course if you bought somewhere else they charge you more......its just the way it works.

RT1
  • Demiurge
    edited August 2007
    carpenter wrote: »
    Epiphone are associated in some way with Gibson right?

Epiphone was bought out by Gibson back in the early 50s, if I recall correctly.

They have low quality standards (now) compared to Gibson, which in a way isn't saying much because Gibson has gotten a little sloppy lately with quality issues. That said, I still just plunked down $1,200 on a new LP Standard not that long ago.

They are also not American made, which most of the higher end guitars are.

Anyhow, that guitar isn't going to hold up long, I can guarantee it. The fret board will wear out and start getting flat spots. By the time you take it to a Luthier and get it fixed it's going to cost you way more than you paid for it up front. Most cheap guitars have tuning issues (they don't stay in tune through normal play).

Not trying to dissuade you from purchasing a guitar, but I am trying to dissuade you from going ultra-cheap and then being frustrated. Some instruments are only capable of so much. Rentals and Used would be the way to go here if you're serious about wanting to learn.
  • Bamadude
    Bamadude Posts: 245
    edited August 2007
    Even if you buy online I would suggest swinging by a shop in your spare time and trying out a few. They can show you the ropes on tuning and changing strings. The first guitar I had really blew but it was free and helped spark my interest until I could afford better. I also found that some small adjustments made a huge difference in how easy it was to play. Definitely helps to have some lessons or just a video or two to help you with the basics or you can end up very frustrated with what can be a very rewarding hobby. Good luck.
    AVR: Pioneer VSX-84TXSi (RIP - lightening) / Amp: Sunfire Cinema Grand / Klipsh R-10B Sounbar, LC65fx / Sub: Elemental Designs LT/1300 / TV: Panasonic TH-50PH9UK /SIZE]
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited August 2007
    I've had the itch for a guitar too. I'm blaming guitar hero for bringing it back. :) I played bass in my high school jazz band, but haven't really touched a guitar since then. (Holy ****, 14 years!)
  • JimBRICK
    edited August 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Epiphone was bought out by Gibson back in the early 50s, if I recall correctly.

They have low quality standards (now) compared to Gibson, which in a way isn't saying much because Gibson has gotten a little sloppy lately with quality issues. That said, I still just plunked down $1,200 on a new LP Standard not that long ago.

They are also not American made, which most of the higher end guitars are.

Anyhow, that guitar isn't going to hold up long, I can guarantee it. The fret board will wear out and start getting flat spots. By the time you take it to a Luthier and get it fixed it's going to cost you way more than you paid for it up front. Most cheap guitars have tuning issues (they don't stay in tune through normal play).

Not trying to dissuade you from purchasing a guitar, but I am trying to dissuade you from going ultra-cheap and then being frustrated. Some instruments are only capable of so much. Rentals and Used would be the way to go here if you're serious about wanting to learn.

I've had mine for 16 months and I play it at least 3 times a week. It still looks like the day I bought it minus the stratches from being at camp. I come from a musical family with some of my uncles playing 25 year old martin acoustics and they have all commented on how well this thing plays and sounds. My fender is my main guitar for home though but too valuable to bring camping
    2 CHANNEL
    Under construction
  • JimBRICK
    edited August 2007
    fireshoes wrote: »
    I've had the itch for a guitar too. I'm blaming guitar hero for bringing it back. :) I played bass in my high school jazz band, but haven't really touched a guitar since then. (Holy ****, 14 years!)

I'm thinking about a bass now too, that or a banjo
    2 CHANNEL
    Under construction
  • GaryZ06
    GaryZ06 Posts: 317
    edited August 2007
    I agree with everything said above....but hey what do I know....I'm just a drummer:eek:
    Panasonic 50" Plasma + Pioneer 6010
    Toshiba XA2 HD-DVD
    Panasonic BD30 Blu-Ray
    Pioneer 1014
    Polk RTi12 (front)...Polk CSi5 (center)
    Polk RTi4 (rear)...Velodyne DLS 5000-R Sub
    3 Outlaw M-200 Amps
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited August 2007
    Question -- if you're left handed, do you guys recommend a left handed guitar for newbies or should lefties learn to use a right handed guitar due to a much larger selection, etc.?

Thanks.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,185
    edited August 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    You aren't going to get a good enough guitar to learn on in that price range new. Used, maybe....

Can you buy a guitar new for $150? Yes.

Problem is, it's crap, and a crappy instrument is going to produce crap sound, no matter how good you may be. Crappy sound will make you frustrated and it'll make it easier to quit.

I have been playing for a really long time and I would say you should try to go used or make the decision to stick with it and spend $300-$500 on one. That's the bare minimum I would spend on a new guitar. $700-$900 price range you'll find some really good guitars. The great ones are around $1200+
    I agree but also disagree. Fender squire has these all in one box guitar, amp , picks strap , tuners etc, everything you need to get started. You are getting a cheap suire stratocaster but to get going???? Hell yeah man. My friends son I help him pick out one and now my nephew has one as well and it's great. hell I'm considering getting one fo my son and teaching him how to play.
    Key here is the Stratocaster no matter what kind of music you like, it can perform well. It's probably the most universal guitar made on the planet. Starting with a cheap one, finding out you love to play, now your on your way to a whole new level. Even the neck is nice. I played 3 of them now and for a starter , it's awesome.

Check one out.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • snow
    snow Posts: 4,337
    edited August 2007
    Too bad you didnt post yesterday, I gave one away that been sitting in storage for years. I would have sent it to you for postage.

REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • POLKOHOLIC
    edited August 2007
    thanks for all the replies guys. im considering purchasing the epiphone pr150

i found this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-PR150-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=512457V

which is the same thing but B stock for 30 bucks less.

another question: i basically want to play songs i know...like alternative rock/classical rock....what kind of music do you guys think i can play with this...?
  • POLKOHOLIC
    edited August 2007
    or how about this one...i like this becasue it comes with alot of accessories: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Washburn-D8GAP-Acoustic-Guitar-Pack?sku=515437
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited August 2007
    thanks for all the replies guys. im considering purchasing the epiphone pr150

i found this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-PR150-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=512457V

which is the same thing but B stock for 30 bucks less.

another question: i basically want to play songs i know...like alternative rock/classical rock....what kind of music do you guys think i can play with this...?

I would start by learning some chords by playing songs you know...simple songs like "Horse with No Name" or "Wild Thing"..that way you get a little familiar with chords..

just search online for easy acoustic guitar songs with tablature...the tablature will tell you where to place your fingers on the fret board..after awhile, the chords will start to all look familar..
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • Bamadude
    Bamadude Posts: 245
    edited August 2007
    ...another question: i basically want to play songs i know...like alternative rock/classical rock....what kind of music do you guys think i can play with this...?

Heck, you can probably play 500 songs by just learning G, C, D chords. Throw in a Am and Em and that'll cover another 1000. You'll be howling along in no time :)

Here's a chord finder that comes in handy http://chordfind.com/
    AVR: Pioneer VSX-84TXSi (RIP - lightening) / Amp: Sunfire Cinema Grand / Klipsh R-10B Sounbar, LC65fx / Sub: Elemental Designs LT/1300 / TV: Panasonic TH-50PH9UK /SIZE]
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited August 2007
    I bought one of those baja that music123 had on for $50 a while back. It's actually quite a nice guitar for the price I paid. I'd have to plunk down at least $200 to find something better.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited August 2007
    Epiphone is every bit as good as Fenders Mexican line. I own both, as well as an American Fender and an Epiphone Elitist Les Paul. I would not hesitate to recommend an Epiphone or Mexican Fender for a beginner. Also, look at Schecter. Schecters (which I also own) are awesome for the money. Any of those would be fine. Buy used and you'll get close to all your money back if it doesn't work out.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones