buying a guitar

2»

Comments

• POLKOHOLIC
    POLKOHOLIC Posts: 407
    edited August 2007
    if you can supply links that would be great. thanks.

also, what do you think of the 2 guitars that i listed in my previous posts?

id like something which comes in a package with tuners, etc...
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited August 2007
    SLOCOOKN wrote: »
    You should buy from a local shop and befriend the owner and staff if you are even somewhat serious. They can fit you with a guitar and let you try several different designs.

Then you can stop in from time to time when you get bored and pick up free tips and good deals!

+1. I too wasn't sure how much devotion I was going to give it. A great local store will figure out what you want to do and make a recommendation based on your input. I spent months in and out of Guitar Center but ended up buying from a local non-chain shop because of service.

If you're in the DFW area, try Murphy's Music Centers (972-554-6030).

A good local store will also give you great info on instructors based on what you want to play.

I bought a La Patrie Collection. Luv it. If my place caught on fire, I'd grab my guitar and leave my computers, speakers, etc behind. Of course my guitar weighs allot less. Oh, yeah, grab the wife and dogs, too. :p

Edit: Oh, yeah, one more thing. Even if you don't have the time now to play all the time, which is my case, you'll discover that your guitar grows on you and sounds better over time, meaning, when you're really ready for it, it'll sound great. Just keep it out of the garage.

I'd recommend starting at $300 or higher (new) but you can sometimes find a great $600 used guitar for $200-$300.

Enjoy!
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited August 2007
    The problem with most of the small shops is selection. You've got to be a pretty big shop to sell the big names. In the small shops you get brands like Cort :rolleyes:
    Also, the package deals are normally very low end. I would shy away from any of the guitar paks.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited August 2007
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited August 2007
    You can get a Samick cheap - i got mine for 150 new. Amazing guitar for the price. Has Grover tuners so it will hold tune longer than most other cheap guitars.

http://www.smcmusic.com/website_gregbennett/acousticportal.html
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,574
    edited August 2007
    I work at a small music store, have so for a year and a half +...

Let me give you some pointers about buying a new instrument.

1) Don't buy online. Why? Simple. When people come to me with something they bought online, particularly for warranty work...

Here is my mindset, 1) I'm going to take my sweet time to get this fixed it 2) I'm going to charge you for shipping, parts, and labor 3) I'm also going to explain that if you had bought this from us, not only would we have fixed this for free, but probally would of done it within 2-3 days.

Also, Muscians Friend has a 30 day return policy or 45 days, however - to get any type of manufacture help (guitars have life time warranties) you have to go to a local dealer.

So help your dealer out so they will be more willing to help you out.

And small dealers carry big brands too.

We carry Gibson, Taylor, Epiphone, Ibanez, Yamaha, Fender, Washburn, Takamine, Ovation, Sierra, Johnson, Schector, SDGR (Ibanez), and many many more.

There isn't much that we can't get and our prices are the same as any reputable, authorized online dealer.

Just an input from a local shop perspective.

Also, people that buy stuff from me, I'll give them picks, strings, straps - etc etc - no problem. You support me, I'll support you.

Keep that in mind.

PS: When you go to your local shop, don't be an **** on price. The margins on instruments/amps is minimal. Accessories is where its at. Hit them up for free stuff instead of 20-30 bucks on discounts. The salesman will remember that, and will be much more willing to hook you up in the future.

I never forget a pain in the ****. And will always fight them back with price haggling. Always.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • carpenter
    carpenter Posts: 362
    edited August 2007
    You have a fantastic job. I am envious.
    I have a similar job: substitute guitars with computers, and musicians with slick, annoying sales people, and customers who think the sun shines from their ****, and its practically the same.. [ :( ]

oh well, at least this thread sent me on a guilt trip for not playing my amazing Takamine enough, so I ended up playing for hours. got big plans for the week end also.:cool:
    "If the global crisis continues, by the end of the year Only two Banks will be operational, the Blood Bank and the Sperm Bank. Then these 2 banks will merge and it will be called 'The Bloody **** Bank'"