HD-DVD strikes back

carpenter
carpenter Posts: 362
edited August 2007 in The Clubhouse
Paramount and Dreamworks to go HD-DVD, Exclusively.

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/14082/53/
"If the global crisis continues, by the end of the year Only two Banks will be operational, the Blood Bank and the Sperm Bank. Then these 2 banks will merge and it will be called 'The Bloody **** Bank'"
Post edited by carpenter on

Comments

• BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited August 2007
    Old news! This was so yesterday!
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, and we had a whole two threads about it too :)
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • carpenter
    carpenter Posts: 362
    edited August 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Yeah, and we had a whole two threads about it too :)

Missed that one. ooops
    "If the global crisis continues, by the end of the year Only two Banks will be operational, the Blood Bank and the Sperm Bank. Then these 2 banks will merge and it will be called 'The Bloody **** Bank'"
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited August 2007
    Just thought I'd share im watching Planet Earth on HD DVD and loving every minute of it. Die a blu death blu-ray!

I need another HD DVD sale to come up, so many good movies to buy :D
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited August 2007
    Going in the wrong direction. 1 of these formats needs to die quick. Blu just makes more sense. Die HD-DVD
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited August 2007
    So tell me why Blu-Ray makes more sense. They haven't even released the final specs for it yet and none of the current stand-alones will support it. Interactivity/networking is mandatory on all HD DVD players, not on BD. The studios can release one disc (Twin Disc or Combo) for both HD and SD versions on the film saving retailer space and letting you play the movie on any player in your house. BD is much more restrictive on copying and authoring for legitimate home users. BD's cost more to manufacture, take twice as long to produce, and there are already many more lines ready for HD DVD production, as well the many many standard DVD lines that can be switched over easily for HD DVD. And, of course, the hardware has always been and will continue to be cheaper for HD DVD. So to summarize the points for HD DVD: already finalized, cheaper to produce, cheaper for consumers, interactive mandatory, and convenience to use anywhere.

Arguments for BD: but teh PS3 has it!!11! and storage capacity (last numbers I saw said something like 82% of HD DVD are the 30GB disc and 64% of BD's are 25GB).
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited August 2007
    I sense a Shaolin Showdown
  • venomclan
    edited August 2007
    fireshoes wrote: »
    So tell me why Blu-Ray makes more sense. They haven't even released the final specs for it yet and none of the current stand-alones will support it. Interactivity/networking is mandatory on all HD DVD players, not on BD. The studios can release one disc (Twin Disc or Combo) for both HD and SD versions on the film saving retailer space and letting you play the movie on any player in your house. BD is much more restrictive on copying and authoring for legitimate home users. BD's cost more to manufacture, take twice as long to produce, and there are already many more lines ready for HD DVD production, as well the many many standard DVD lines that can be switched over easily for HD DVD. And, of course, the hardware has always been and will continue to be cheaper for HD DVD. So to summarize the points for HD DVD: already finalized, cheaper to produce, cheaper for consumers, interactive mandatory, and convenience to use anywhere.

Arguments for BD: but teh PS3 has it!!11! and storage capacity (last numbers I saw said something like 82% of HD DVD are the 30GB disc and 64% of BD's are 25GB).

This is easy, because I have a PS2 and a lot of games I would like uprez'd, the PS3 can do that.

Ha Ha, Made ya type a lot:p
  • venomclan
    edited August 2007
    PhantomOG wrote: »
    I sense a Shaolin Showdown

My Tiger/Crane technique is far superior.
  • cheddar
    cheddar Posts: 2,390
    edited August 2007
    Just a clarification.
    fireshoes wrote: »
    They haven't even released the final specs for it yet and none of the current stand-alones will support it. Interactivity/networking is mandatory on all HD DVD players, not on BD.

The final specs for blu-ray are released and scheduled for a mandatory implementation after october.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/news/show/BD-Java/Hardware/Industry_Forecasts/Blu-ray_Association_Sets_Fall_Deadline_For_BD-Java_Hardware_Support/543
  • cheddar
    edited August 2007
    It's interesting that with the two big hd-dvd exclusive studios producing so many of his movies, that spielberg appears to be going out of his way to make the studios announce that his titles are not exclusive. Not trying to start a fight here. Just find it interesting that spielberg seems to prefer blu-ray. While I suppose he can always change his mind, I wonder why he's opposing the studios' exclusivity decisions.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Steven_Spielberg/Industry_Forecasts/Exclusive:_Spielberg_Big_Supporter_of_Blu-ray,_But_Future_High-Def_Releases_Uncertain/878

Anyhoo. A good week for hd-dvd, that's for sure. I'd just like to see one format win and hd-dvd looks like it still has the harder hill to climb. The longer this war goes on, the slower the adoption of either format will be. *sigh*.
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited August 2007
    A little snippet from Michael Bay (from Hardocp):

Paramount’s Blu-ray Decision Angers Michael Bay
    It would seem that the director of the Transformers movie is a bit upset over Paramount’s decision to dump Blu-ray.

In a forum post titled "Paramount pisses me off!", he states, "I want people to see my movies in the best formats possible. For them to deny people who have Blu-ray sucks! They were progressive by having two formats. No Transformers 2 for me!"
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited August 2007
    jflail2 wrote: »
    No Transformers 2 for me!

This is great news!!! I mean, Transformers was a fun ride, but I wouldn't mind if someone like Bryan Singer or Chris Nolan directed the next one. Someone that can do solid (not 100% over the top) action AND mix in a little thought/plot as well.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited August 2007
    paramount = hd dvd exclusive. deal with it. michael bay, sorry succa. speilburg, sorry succa.

final specs mean alot to me. hopefully my new ps3 will be capable of the blu-ray profile of 1.1. all up in the air as of now. because when all the 'extras' become available, i'd hate to think i cannot even utilize them! that'll anger many existing blu-ray adopters. hd dvd has been finalized long ago. kudos, hd dvd.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • cheddar
    edited August 2007
    BIZILL wrote: »
    paramount = hd dvd exclusive. deal with it. michael bay, sorry succa. speilburg, sorry succa.

final specs mean alot to me. hopefully my new ps3 will be capable of the blu-ray profile of 1.1. all up in the air as of now. because when all the 'extras' become available, i'd hate to think i cannot even utilize them! that'll anger many existing blu-ray adopters. hd dvd has been finalized long ago. kudos, hd dvd.

Just keep your ps3 updated via firmware. Disney is already pushing the envelope as far as Blu-ray java is concerned. And the ps3 plays the interactive stuff flawlessly so far. Some players have had issues with the pirates titles, for instance, but not the ps3.
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited August 2007
    cheddar wrote: »
    Just keep your ps3 updated via firmware. Disney is already pushing the envelope as far as Blu-ray java is concerned. And the ps3 plays the interactive stuff flawlessly so far. Some players have had issues with the pirates titles, for instance, but not the ps3.

that's the ONLY reason i chose it over the panny. well, that, and it plays games.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,185
    edited August 2007
    I hope they both survive. Or I hope they both die and only 1 new format comes into place. We don't need these **** fomat wars. I'm tired of it.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited August 2007
    If one does die, it'll be years down the road when something better comes along to dethrone both.

What I don't understand is why some of you get all emotional about one format or the other. I have both and so far, I prefer HD DVD, mainly because the sound seems to be better. Both have excellent PQ and I could care less about all the BS special features that I never use. I watch movies with them.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • kn505
    kn505 Posts: 380
    edited August 2007
    I am thinking about getting a ps3 for my kids. What is your opinion on its wireless internet capabilities and playing free games on sony website?
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited August 2007
    kn505 wrote: »
    I am thinking about getting a ps3 for my kids. What is your opinion on its wireless internet capabilities and playing free games on sony website?

I love the wireless ability of the PS3, works like a charm.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited August 2007
    ND13 wrote: »
    What I don't understand is why some of you get all emotional about one format or the other.

Can't they all just get along?

Corporate greed fuels these format wars and the consumer gets screwed. It's a shame that we have to choose between formats. What would happen if these guys had agreed on a single format a year ago? There would be lots of money for everyone and the consumer would be thrilled to buy a new DVD player for $199 or less. Instead, many of us wait on the sidelines to see who will win the war.

HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • MikeC78
    edited August 2007
    IMO, the real loser sits on the sidelines waiting. It's not going anywhere for a LONG time, and besides the war is good for the format.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited August 2007
    MikeC78 wrote: »
    IMO, the real loser sits on the sidelines waiting.

Yep. The "losers" consist of like 95% of the people in the world who own regular DVD players.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • PhantomOG
    edited August 2007
    Early B. wrote: »
    Yep. The "losers" consist of like 95% of the people in the world who own regular DVD players.

Yep, I'm a big time loser because I'm not rushing out there and spending $1000+ on two different players just so I can watch a handful of titles, most of which I don't really care for anyways. Yep, I'm *really* stupid because I'll be able to buy the same players for considerably less money with more titles to choose from in a year. :rolleyes:
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited August 2007
    I don't think he meant Loser as you are a loser, I think he meant it as it's your loss to those who wait till later rather than to enjoy the HD movies now.

I can certainly understand why those would want to wait. Unfortunately, I don't have the level of control and ended up getting both.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited August 2007
    I don't think the term "loser" was meant in the insult form, so much as the "people who aren't winning in this consumer battle" form.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • PhantomOG
    edited August 2007
    ... and besides the war is good for the format.

You're really delluded if you think that YEARS ago if Sony and Toshiba had come to an agreement on ONE standard, we wouldn't have more hardware, more titles and lower prices.
  • MikeC78
    edited August 2007
    Phantom,

The other guys beat me to it.:) I'm in no way calling anyone stupid or a fat loser for holding out. "Loser" was used as a form to what you are missing out on.

Thanks guys...
  • MikeC78
    edited August 2007
    PhantomOG wrote: »
    You're really delluded if you think that YEARS ago if Sony and Toshiba had come to an agreement on ONE standard, we wouldn't have more hardware, more titles and lower prices.

You think this is viable standpoint for any business? Color me delluded.:rolleyes:
  • PhantomOG
    edited August 2007
    You think this is viable standpoint for any business? Color me delluded.:rolleyes:

Neither company would compromise and come to an agreement, each hoping to "win" and take the whole market. Because of this, the adoption rate by both consumers and movie studios is slower, causing prices to remain higher, which in turn causes slower sales.

If one standard had been agreed upon years ago, the market would be much larger because of the quicker adoption rate and BOTH companies would be making more money.