Laptops In The Classroom - Interesting Article

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2007
    jdhdiggs wrote: »
    Or you could just pay attention. I know that's a novel concept, but still. Notes are overvalued.

Not to sound rude, but did you go to college? There have been studies that people only remember something like 20% of what they listen to in a lecture, with most of that being at the end of the lecture. I have never taken a course where taking notes, either of the lecture, or of the book have not been extremely important to my success in college. Maybe you just have an awesome memory, which I would absolutely love to have...lol.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited August 2007
    Or you could just pay attention. I know that's a novel concept, but still. Notes are overvalued.

Yeah, try that in an Engineering class sometime. 70 minutes of formulas and theories, but I'll just memorize 'em. :rolleyes:
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited August 2007
    krabby5 wrote: »
    exactly..and there was no internet yet..I actually had to go to this place called a library to study..

God I'm old:(
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, you pay his salary. But no one is forcing you to go to his class or that particular school. I say each professor is free to set his own rules. You are free to choose a different professor/school if it bugs you so much.

I graduated from school in 2001, and maybe things have changed since then, but I was more inclined to have some "respect" for the professors where I went anyways. I know they had probably forgotton more stuff than I'd ever learn. As long as their demands weren't ridiculous I was OK with trying things their way.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited August 2007
    Quick update......

A$$hole gave me a 60 for class participation when I participated no more and no less than anyone else in the class.

Ended up with a B- overall in the class.

Summer session results are in: A-, A-, B-

Glad I am done with this guy, I'm gonna write a letter to his department head just to share my feelings about this guy for this topic and other issues.
  • PhantomOG
    edited August 2007
    what the heck kind of class has a participation requirement/grade? just curious, I never had anything like that while I was in school.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited August 2007
    PhantomOG wrote: »
    what the heck kind of class has a participation requirement/grade? just curious, I never had anything like that while I was in school.

Quite a few of my classes have it unfortunately. This class was an Accounting class.

I agree that participation is stupid, 22 years old, last year of college and I'm getting graded on my class participation, feels like elementary school.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited August 2007
    I agree that participation is stupid, 22 years old, last year of college and I'm getting graded on my class participation, feels like elementary school.

Get used to it, I think most, if not all of my MBA classes included a participation score.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited August 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    College, the new High School.

True. Futurist Scenario's across the board indicate the Bachelor's will be a standard much like today's High School degree by the year 2031, companies will demand the Master's or higher for entry professionals. Alternative, learn a trade or be willing to do the mundane. Me, I will be retired living the good life of family, audio, sports, women, cars and so on, you young ones have a ball and realize you will have to drag certain archetypes into your world and trounce them or live with them.

Your college needs to provide the entire class on disc to you, oh wait the folks that sell books do not like this idea..............

You should be encouraged to use the laptop in class.

You should not disturb anybody with it. I could disturb a class with a pencil if I wanted to, so lets get rid of them then too, bad juju logic.

we already use them (laptops)--48 student cadets--48 laptops---works like a charm---we even test on them, the student using the laptop while at the Academy for just about everything, laptop in one hand, pistol in the other, future LEO's of America. Hell, future is not correct, they are the LEO's coming into the field now.

RT1
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited August 2007
    True. Futurist Scenario's across the board indicate the Bachelor's will be a standard much like today's High School degree by the year 2031,

2031, eh? At least that's not too specific....
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited August 2007

Notes were entirely necessary for my classes. Paying attention was okay to get overall themes, but its the little tedious details in the end that we had to know.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited August 2007
    exalted512 wrote: »
    Not to sound rude, but did you go to college? There have been studies that people only remember something like 20% of what they listen to in a lecture, with most of that being at the end of the lecture. I have never taken a course where taking notes, either of the lecture, or of the book have not been extremely important to my success in college. Maybe you just have an awesome memory, which I would absolutely love to have...lol.
    -Cody
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Yeah, try that in an Engineering class sometime. 70 minutes of formulas and theories, but I'll just memorize 'em. :rolleyes:

Ummm... Hmmm.... Yes, I went to college, got degrees and everything. Engineering is/was the easiest to do this with (to me) as everything boils down to a simple formula. Give me a decently intelligent HS kid that can remember formula's and in a month I can have him pass the EIT. The only exception to this was really chemistry. Free radicals... barf....

To me, I found it easier to just pay attention and then use the book if I needed to remember something specific. What I found was that generally, the more time you spent taking notes, the worse your grades were. Which brings up the question: Do the students miss what the teacher is teaching with their head buried in their not taking or do people less talented in the field just need to take more notes. To me, it was more of the former. I struggled to get "B"'s my first semester then gave up taking notes (maybe two pages the whole semester/class) and kept a 3.8 or higher for the rest of college. I found I was too busy trying to remember what the teacher said to write it then what the teacher was saying.

Of course I might just be an odd duck: I was the first person in the history of my school to graduate with two degrees in three years and the third to graduate within 3 years. I think a kid tied me two years after I left but he cheated-He was only 12... ****!
    Shizelbs wrote: »
    Notes were entirely necessary for my classes. Paying attention was okay to get overall themes, but its the little tedious details in the end that we had to know.

Again, that's what the book was for or use your class network.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • PhantomOG
    edited August 2007
    The good profs hand out or make available online slides for each lecture, so note taking is a breeze and concentration can be placed on actually understanding what's being said.

Class network? Ahh, so you don't take notes, just copy them from poor Joe Schmoe next to you. Good plan :D
  • PhantomOG
    edited August 2007
    I actually had one stuck up Prof who, during office hours, would ask to see your notes when you asked him for help. If you didn't take notes on his lectures concerning your question, he would refuse to help you and complain you weren't attending or paying attention to his lectures.
  • jdhdiggs
    edited August 2007
    I'd just ask him to see his notes to prove his proposition that I wasn't paying attention or attending and then accuse him of not paying attention to his students needs by not noting these things and how it shows that he is neglecting the very that pay his salary and then point out how stupid his position was. I'd then drop the class.

When I taught, I did the opposite. The notes would almost always seemed to be screwed to hell with no cohesion. I'd take the notes from them and have them explain the concepts in generalities to me and then ask them specific questions so the student would arrive at the correct conclusion.

Hey, if you don't have a network, then you're the fool! ;)

How often in the real world do you have no one and no resources to help you in your job? In reality, your ability to do this trumps your internalized knowledge, no?
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited August 2007
    For ****, I just went into my old college notes from 10-15 years ago. Since I typed them all up, I still got them all! I still have all of my papers/notes since 1991 in electronic form :)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2007
    I agree with you somewhat, but more than quite a few of my teachers dont use the book, or use it as a supplement to the class, but not the 'main ingredient'. So note taking is a must, for me at least. And youre 100% right, when I take notes, I hear what the teacher is saying, but I dont listen, I have to go back and look at my notes and learn it from my notes. But there have been studies that show people only retain like 10% of information given over the span of 45 minutes, and most of that is from the end of the presentation.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited August 2007

Again, that's what the book was for or use your class network.

Again, notes are just plain necessary for our classes. The books provide a nice background, but notes, both for real knowledge and to pass the tests, were necessary.

This is a pretty stupid thing to argue about though.
  • jdhdiggs
    edited August 2007
    I'd say your notes are probably more valid. O-Chem is a **** and I'll bet it just gets harder. Just the sheer number of things a pharmicist needs to remember is mindblowing.

Just my experience has been people take too good of notes and miss the "point" of the class. The facts can be found in the books, but the emphasis and point of the class is the prof's alone and you lose sight of that, you lose a letter grade at least.

If you must be a note taker, do this:

1). Read the syllabis and know what the next class is about.
    2). Go to the book, read all relevant material to the upcoming class
    3). Write your notes from the book on the left side, questions you have to the right.
    4). Go to class and check off the questions as they are answered.
    5). If the questions aren't answered in class, ASK!
    6). Rewrite your notes with the teachers emphasis taken into account.
    7). Be anal retentive like Shelby and type up your notes. ;)

If you attend the class every day there's no reason to not get a 4.0 following that method.

Cody: Let me ask you this: If you only remember 10-20% of what you hear (using your numbers), how much of what you don't hear do you remember?
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited August 2007
    I am with Bagged on this one. The Professor is there to provide the learning/lectures. I believe it is up to the student on how he or she applies those learning experiences ion class. Whether it be a computer or taking notes.

NOW, if bagged was seen on AIM, reading email, or had a weak grade in the class I could see how a Professor would be pissed off. It is being perceived in his eye's that you are wasting his time despite you footing the bill for his time.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited August 2007
    If you get a teacher that's giving you static, he probably thinks he's a real cowboy, so you gotta break that son of a **** in two. If you wanna know something and he won't tell you, cut off one of his fingers. The little one. Then tell him his thumb's next. After that he'll tell you if he wears ladies underwear.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited August 2007
    I brought up the problem with my mother today, who was a principal for 10 years and teacher for 27 years prior to that, retired now, and she believes I should raise the issue about the participation grade with this guys department head as soon as official grades are released this friday since the participation grade was so heavily valued in this class and the low grade was the reason for me not getting a B or even possibly a B+.

She says I'll have it easy cause the rest of my grades in his class were all good. 80's on all the tests, 98 on my final project, 98 on my homework, perfect attendance, etc.
  • jdhdiggs
    edited August 2007
    Bagged:

Also remember, most prof's do think their hot caca and have never worked a day in the real world since starting college. Use this and stroke their ego and manipulate them.

Also, what class is this? If it's something like "Philosophy of English literature" or "politics of the 20th Century" I'd agree with the prof. If it's something like thermodynamics or a history regurgitation class, I'd agree with you.
  • PhantomOG
    edited August 2007
    ...perfect attendance, etc.

he took attendance????? :eek: what a weird class...
  • BaggedLancer
    edited August 2007
    Bagged:

Also remember, most prof's do think their hot caca and have never worked a day in the real world since starting college. Use this and stroke their ego and manipulate them.

Yea, that's this guy. He talks about how he flew stealth recon planes back in the day(he's in his 60's now). And how when he got divorced it was the best thing to happen in his life cause hes single again.

The guy has issues, which is why I am waiting till official grades come out, so he can't mark me down for complaining right now.
  • PhantomOG
    edited August 2007
    Also remember, most prof's do think their hot caca

that and consider their research their "real" work and teaching classes as something that just gets in the way.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited August 2007
    PhantomOG wrote: »
    he took attendance????? :eek: what a weird class...

Yep, we had to SIGN, yes signature, an attendance sheet every class. If you were late he made you stand in the doorway for atleast 20 minutes of the class then he let you sit down.
  • PhantomOG
    edited August 2007
    If you were late he made you stand in the doorway for atleast 20 minutes of the class then he let you sit down.

that's funny. The same prof I spoke of above was similar. The first lecture some poor sap walked in about 5 minutes late. The prof stopped class and before the guy could sit down, asked for his name. He then proclaimed that he wouldn't let him pass the course. I doubt if he actually made good on the promise but it was still pretty funny.
  • jdhdiggs
    edited August 2007
    Yep, we had to SIGN, yes signature, an attendance sheet every class. If you were late he made you stand in the doorway for atleast 20 minutes of the class then he let you sit down.

Let me clue you in, your Prof is a TOOL!!!

I'll bet the prof got a lot of atomic wedgies and wet willies when he was little and he's getting back at all those meanies. I don't get why most profs try so hard to have an adversarial relationship with their students
  • BaggedLancer
    edited August 2007
    So waiting for official grades to be posted then staking my complaint is the way to go then?