Laptops In The Classroom - Interesting Article

BaggedLancer
BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
edited August 2007 in The Clubhouse
Well, I've been on and off sparingly in the last few weeks while I finish this semester of school(brutal) so I figured I'd start a small discussion since this applies to me hugely.

Here is the article:
http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/raskin/12061

Do the residents of PA believe students should be allowed to use a laptop in the classroom in college? COLLEGE only, no high school.

Here's my story to contribute:

First, I commute to school. I wake up 4:30AM, 4 days a week right now, get myself showered, dressed and drive to the local commuter rail train for a 6:30 departure.

First class is at 8AM, second class at 10AM(directly after, 2 hour break, then last class at 130PM. I take the 4PM train home, getting me back to my house around 445-500 depending on traffic weather.

My entire day is at school or traveling, so I bring a small 12.1" notebook(3 pounds) with me everyday. I use it in every class to take ALL my notes, view the daily powerpoint slides, read articles, etc. While sitting on the commuter rail, 40ish minute ride I usually turn it on and work on my papers, homework problems, readings, whatever it may be. I just don't have the time to do it at home.

Now, 2 out of my 3 classes I have absolutely no issues with using my laptop, I have files upon files of notes and powerpoint slides. My last class, however, the professor has walked by 3 times now, and sometimes I have nothing on the screen because i don't need it at the moment, he will say close the laptop or take a 0 for the class for the day.

My opinion......I pay $4000 per class to go to college. It should be my damn choice whether I want to use a laptop for work or to screw around during class. Long as I am not interrupting anyone the professor should have no right to say anything.

What do you guys think?
Post edited by BaggedLancer on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,437
    edited August 2007
    When I went to school we had to write our notes on tree bark with pieces of coal found in the coal bin at home. Ya'll got it easy. ;)
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• weps
    weps Posts: 10
    edited August 2007
    The instructor should be the one to decide and that should pretty much be the final word.

Personally, I don't have a problem with mature, controlled, and reserved use. That means no bwoop bwoop of incoming IM messages, no disruptive typing, and no distracting of other students. What you have on your screen can distract others - despite their best efforts. If you want to read espn or check your email during lecture, sit in the very back and be quiet about it.
    almost able to start a wtb thread. :cool:
  • BaggedLancer
    edited August 2007
    weps wrote: »
    The instructor should be the one to decide and that should pretty much be the final word.

Personally, I don't have a problem with mature, controlled, and reserved use. That means no bwoop bwoop of incoming IM messages, no disruptive typing, and no distracting of other students. What you have on your screen can distract others - despite their best efforts. If you want to read espn or check your email during lecture, sit in the very back and be quiet about it.

Why should the instructor have the final word when I am the one paying his salary?

As to the rest of your comment, muting the computer and using a privacy screen is what I do to avoid those problems. And I always sit in the back.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited August 2007
    Didn't read the article, but I agree that you pay for college, you should be able to do whatever you awnt in reason. Obviously no laptops during tests, but for notes? Why not?

Beyond college, of course not. I've heard a lot of talk of high schools getting laptops for their students, and I think it's ridiculous.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2007
    My opinion......I pay $4000 per class to go to college. It should be my damn choice whether I want to use a laptop for work or to screw around during class. Long as I am not interrupting anyone the professor should have no right to say anything.

What do you guys think?

Pretty much my opinion completely. Ive taken quite a few classes where the Profs are complete idiots, or just really smart but cant teach worth a crap so I end up reading the book to learn anyway. Id go to class each day because they like to have un-announced quizzes and Id play online. Funny because those are a few of the classes I made A's in...Or I'd be doing homework for other classes or something along those lines.

As long as I'm not disturbing anyone else, who cares?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • exalted512
    edited August 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Obviously no laptops during tests

Because in the real world you dont have access to things like the internet;)
    -Cody
  • weps
    edited August 2007
    Why should the instructor have the final word when I am the one paying his salary?

you should try that one out on the officer if you ever get pulled over. let me know how it turns out.

:)
  • BaggedLancer
    edited August 2007
    you should try that one out on the officer if you ever get pulled over. let me know how it turns out.

:)

Apples and oranges comparison. Irrelevant.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited August 2007
    exalted512 wrote: »
    Because in the real world you dont have access to things like the internet;)
    -Cody

I used to love the classes in college where you could use any means to find the answer. Take home exams, or even "open book open notes" tests in-class. YOu know a test is effing hard if they let you use anything you can.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited August 2007
    open book open note are the worst, by far.
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited August 2007
    In some universities in Canada it is mandatory that you have a laptop for your classes. Take notes any way you can I say.

PS: Jesse- That was hilarious.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,425
    edited August 2007
    Try to talk to him one-on-one, so that he doesn't feel he needs to appear powerful over you in front of an audience. Perhaps your explanation you've just given here might move him to seeing your point of view. Or perhaps he'll give you an explanation that at least makes some sense other than that he's trying to be a pain in your a$$.

The "I'm paying your salary" argument probably won't work; if he's like a lot of my former professors, he views teaching as the crappy part of his job that allows him to do the research he wants to pursue.

If the above doesn't work, I'd go with the "inflamed tendon makes writing with a pen excruciatingly painful" excuse. :D
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • weps
    edited August 2007
    Apples and oranges comparison. Irrelevant.

in both cases you are paying to participate in a system. nowhere does that allow you ultimate control over any aspect. why you think it does, i honestly don't know. perhaps you could explain. you are no more paying his salary than you are buying mulch for the flower beds.

also, don't forget that there are many others in that classroom with you. they are also paying for the same class. their money is just as good and they are entitled to the best learning environment the university and the instructor can provide. if the instructor feels or senses that your actions are lessening the environment in any way, he has a responsibility to correct that.

fortunately, you have options if you disagree. you can drop the class. you could get all of your classmates - or at least a significant majority, to support you. or you can make your case to your college dean. hell, you could even transfer to another school that is willing to ensure unlimited laptop access during classes.

btw, was your instructor really a hardass when you went to talk to him about this?
  • Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited August 2007

If the paying for a class gave students the final word, everyone would give themselves an "A". :)

Laptops annoyed me only because of the constant typing and the random loud beep or ding (can only blame the user for that). Keyboards today are much better though.
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited August 2007
    I know of professors who require that any student bringing in a laptop to class to sit in back and turn off their wifi. They have no problems with note taking but don't want any IMing, as it lessens the ability of students to gather the full info that is coming at them. One, in return offers an evening bull session where students can challenge the prof's statements using wifi to find opposing arguments.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • BaggedLancer
    edited August 2007

btw, was your instructor really a hardass when you went to talk to him about this?

yea he was a PITA about it.....seems to be better lately but i know he still doesnt like it...
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited August 2007
    Coin flip. Pc's can be disruptive. If the instructor is good, you can miss stuff
    by splitting your attention.
    On the other hand, I'm an old guy. I know many can take notes faster on the pc than I ever could by hand.
    The answer is: it can enhance your leaning, if that's how you use it. Or you
    can waste your time. I'm sure the results are 50/50 as well.
    I oppose giving grade school/middle school students laptops. Not responsible enough. Learn the old way, then go to the tech way.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • BaggedLancer
    edited August 2007
    I'm not gonna sit here and say I use it 100% for school work, i check my email time to time, AIM is usually on although most friends know im in school.

My grades this semester are B+, A-, A in the 3 classes I am taking, we'll see how I finish.

Had I been failing I could see putting the laptop away :D
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited August 2007
    I graduated in 1997. I spent the last 3 years of my University life with a brand new Compaq Pentium 90 laptop that I did everything on. I had a lot of problems with wrist pain since I am a heavy note taker. I took that thing in every class and typed all my notes in every class. Not one professor or person ever cared. As a Computer Science major, I stacked my electives in sociology (only needed 3 more classes and I would have had a double bachelors). They all had at least 50+ people in each class. It was unheard of back then, I very rarely even saw a laptop anywhere on the campus. Hell, even the computer labs there were still running Windows 3.11.
    Was the best thing I ever did, I could take some bad arss notes typing.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • BaggedLancer
    edited August 2007
    Silverti wrote: »
    I graduated in 1997. I spent the last 3 years of my University life with a brand new Compaq Pentium 90 laptop that I did everything on. I had a lot of problems with wrist pain since I am a heavy note taker. I took that thing in every class and typed all my notes in every class. Not one professor or person ever cared. As a Computer Science major, I stacked my electives in sociology (only needed 3 more classes and I would have had a double bachelors). They all had at least 50+ people in each class. It was unheard of back then, I very rarely even saw a laptop anywhere on the campus. Hell, even the computer labs there were still running Windows 3.11.
    Was the best thing I ever did, I could take some bad arss notes typing.

Agreed, I can type around 90-100 wpm, much faster than I can write.

Not to mention, in this class that I am having trouble with the professor, he always us to take our notes to our tests, so what better than just print out my notes and take them with me? You would think he wants all students to type them. If only everyone could be such a good student as myself... :D
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited August 2007
    I can take MUCH better notes typing than I EVER could by hand. My notes by hand really, really stink. My notes by computer are usually pretty good.

I agree that the prof has the final say, as it's his classroom, his time, his perspective on the material he's bringing to you, etc. And like a few others have mentioned, it is his responsibility to make sure everyone gets the same opportunity in his class. However, I can't see why he'd have a problem with it as long as it's 1) not distracting to others and 2) you use it for the class you're currently in.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Kearin
    Kearin Posts: 11
    edited August 2007
    The problem comes in when the students think they have the right to say what needs to occur. The institution is Higher Education, the student chose to attend that institution because they will get a better education. If that education is hampered by other students banging on keyboards, typing furiously to myspace responses etc. How do you justify it?

Its just like at a theatre...you pay money to go see the movie, but they ask you disable your ringtone so you don't distract others during the movie. They paid just like you did and deserve the common courtesy to do the same for others.

You can jot down notes on a pad of paper just as fast and typing them. It has worked for years and years and the impatience of our generation simply hinders learning to many degrees. It is the instructor's choice and if you took a general census Im sure you would have a greater % of the class using the net/games on the laptop rather then listening and following along with the lecture.

IMHO if you want to use a laptop...take an online class. I am all for technology as I am a Database Administrator for an Army College but when in a large classroom of 200+ students all pecking at thier keyboards...its sure to cause a distraction.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited August 2007
    I think what throws the profs is many of them look around to gauge
    if they're geting through to the students. Hard to tell if they're all looking into
    a laptop screen.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • exalted512
    edited August 2007
    Of course the students should never have the right to chose how they think they learn best:rolleyes:

I dont know what kind of laptops you think college students have, but I assure you that almost all of them have extremely quiet keyboards...I can barely here myself type on mine...If that really bothers you, sorry, but me typing is not ANY louder than you writing with your pencil, clicking your pen, sneezing, coughing, getting up in class to go to the bathroom...whatever. This is the age of computers, and if my prof cant grasp that, thats his problem. His bias shouldnt influence how I choose to learn or retain information one way or another, as long as its not distracting to the guy beside me. BTW, i have NEVER heard someone complain someone typing too loud. I guess all those computer labs with actual desktops and keyboards that actually produce sound must be the devil:eek:
    -Cody
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited August 2007
    I'm not that old(29 to be exact) but like others I did most of my note taking in tablets etc. Obviously computers are the wave of the future, I like the idea of you having a compact notebook, wish my own 14 inch was as 12 as well. However I think you should be allowed to use it, for whatever youre doing in class, rather it be note-taking or wanting to google something on the spot during a lecture. I can only imagine it being a tool to your advantage. Again youre not interrupting class so what gives. Not sure why he's stressing you, but I would definitely fight it or pull him to the side after your next class with him and address the issue.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • BaggedLancer
    edited August 2007
    Having the ability to wikiapedia a name you don't know during a professors lecture has value like you have no idea....
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited August 2007
    Or you could just pay attention. I know that's a novel concept, but still. Notes are overvalued.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • BaggedLancer
    edited August 2007
    jdhdiggs wrote: »
    Or you could just pay attention. I know that's a novel concept, but still. Notes are overvalued.

not always the problem. in accelerated classes that are 2 hours long you have no choice but to take detailed notes. notes hold huge value
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited August 2007
    College, the new High School.
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited August 2007
    F1nut wrote: »
    When I went to school we had to write our notes on tree bark with pieces of coal found in the coal bin at home. Ya'll got it easy. ;)
    exactly..and there was no internet yet..I actually had to go to this place called a library to study..
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub