aaharvel
aaharvel Posts: 4,489
edited August 2007 in The Clubhouse
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ENzz-kIBiSU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ENzz-kIBiSU&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
H/K Signature 2.1+235
Jungson MagicBoat II
Revel Performa M-20
Velodyne cht-10 sub
Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
Post edited by aaharvel on

Comments

• swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited August 2007
    roids or not... that guy can hit a baseball!
    cats.vans.bag...
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,798
    edited August 2007
    John Kruck made an interesting observation. The pitcher who Bonds hit the HR on was suspended in the minors for roids. He said we MLB has singled out Bonds because of the record but that roids was much more pervasive than the commissioner would like to let on.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited August 2007
    xsmi wrote: »
    John Kruck made an interesting observation. The pitcher who Bonds hit the HR on was suspended in the minors for roids. He said we MLB has singled out Bonds because of the record but that roids was much more pervasive than the commissioner would like to let on.

the majority of people already knew that... if they followed baseball.

i don't care anymore... roids or no roids... people are going to find a way to get ahead either way and be hated on.
    cats.vans.bag...
  • xsmi
    edited August 2007
    Yeah they did, but its the first time I heard a player say it.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited August 2007
    With enough training a gorilla could be taught to do that, minus the steroids.

"On deck, #1, Magilla Gorilla!"
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited August 2007
    I'm more a Grape Ape man myself....
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,670
    edited August 2007

With enough steroids, we could have Mr. Peebles batting cleanup.

Test everyone once a month for steroids.
    Use some of those profits that MLB is generating, slice off 0.5%, develop a COMPLETE testing system for steroids, human growth hormone, etc and clean up baseball.

"But the 'fans' like seeing the long ball, we have to cater to the fans !".

Well, then, let's not call it MLB.....let's call it by its true name, Major League Roid-o-rama.
    Sal Palooza
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited August 2007
    I want to see how much that ball is going for on Ebay.........(sooner the better if the guy wants to maximize his money).........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited August 2007
    Bfd!
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited August 2007
    We pay them (baseball players) lots and lots of money to entertain us.

People are entertained by home runs.

Does it REALLY matter how he got there?
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited August 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    We pay them (baseball players) lots and lots of money to entertain us.

People are entertained by home runs.

Does it REALLY matter how he got there?

Uh, yeah. There's no point in having records if it doesn't matter how they obtain them.

Maybe Barry could just catch the pitch with a glove, run out to 2nd base and chuck it over the outfield wall.
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited August 2007
    Give me a 1-0 pitcher's duel any day of the week over these ridiculous slugfest's that've become the norm since the strike...

There's so much more to baseball than just going yard on every cut. Hell, the Reds pretty much use this as their team philosophy and have stopped playing "small ball" all-together.

Double switches, sac bunt's, infield shifts, pinch runners. Roid's killed all of that too. All because of bunch of yahoos get "bored" by a game that had entertained for nearly a century on the merits of its strategy and very often on the strength of its pitchers.

Big dumb people like to watch a big dumb man with a big dumb stick drill a ball into the moon. Makes Mongo happy.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited August 2007
    I think it would be fun for every pitcher facing Bonds to walk him every time he goes to the plate. Walking a batter is "legal", unlike injecting "moo juice in your ****. I think it would be fun to watch the frustration, and maybe a meltdown.
    Carl

• Demiurge
    edited August 2007
    haha. That would be fun, but it would just be giving the guy way more attention than he deserves.

I'm watching the game on ESPN2HD right now regardless of what I think about the record.
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited August 2007

Oh George, I missed reading all of the pearls of wisdom that you bestow upon this forum...Thanks for the kind words across the way as well...It's been a rough go lately......
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited August 2007

Thanks big guy,that song is now in my head 'till the am...thanks.

We got a gorilla for sale,Magilla Gorilla for sale............:)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,685
    edited August 2007
    I can only assume that this thread is referring to the near-legendary Western-Electric/Altec 755 fullrange driver, right?

http://members.myactv.net/~je245/755survey.htm

755ACE.jpg
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited August 2007
    "Cheaters never prosper!"

Hope / trust it will catch up to Bonds.
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • bobman1235
    edited August 2007
    "Cheaters never prosper!"

Hope / trust it will catch up to Bonds.

What are you, ten years old? Of course cheaters prosper. The business world is full of 'em, and so is sports. He'll prosper, he already has way more money than 99% of the people on this forum can ever dream of.

If you're religious you can believe that all cheaters will be punished for their sins or whatever, but at least during normal life, they usually do just fine.
  • Demiurge
    edited August 2007
    What are you, ten years old? Of course cheaters prosper. The business world is full of 'em, and so is sports. He'll prosper, he already has way more money than 99% of the people on this forum can ever dream of.

If you're religious you can believe that all cheaters will be punished for their sins or whatever, but at least during normal life, they usually do just fine.

If having a conscience makes me 10, I'm happy to be.
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited August 2007
    I cheated at Chutes and Ladders once...
    I cried for days.

I imagine Barry does the same thing every night. But surrounded by hookers and blow.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • xsmi
    edited August 2007
    You wouldn't have cried if you made millions of dollars in that chutes and ladders game. that's why Bonds can sleep at night.
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited August 2007
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited August 2007
    I don't know..the more I think about it, the more I am beginning to realize that all of the records broken from the late 90's on, are probably tainted. EVERYBODY was doing steroids..Bonds just happens to be an a$$hole and is going to break the most prized record of all sports..so most people hate on him..

Someone is always going to look for an edge in pro sports..if I was a pro baseball player 5-10 years ago and someone told me that if I took certain drugs, it would greatly enhance my ability, I'm not so sure I would say no..

the better I am, the more money I will make..

I don't know what to think anymore, because we have no idea who was/is completely clean anymore..
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • bobman1235
    edited August 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    If having a conscience makes me 10, I'm happy to be.

I'm not saying it's right, just saying the idea that cheaters don't prosper is silly. They're not good people, but they certainly prosper. Otherwise, they wouldn't cheat.
  • Demiurge
    edited August 2007
    I'm not saying it's right, just saying the idea that cheaters don't prosper is silly. They're not good people, but they certainly prosper. Otherwise, they wouldn't cheat.

Bonds was able to prosper by cheating because the MLB looked the other way when it all went down. He'd be making millions even if he didn't cheat, so it's hard to gauge how much he prospered financially from cheating. It's not unheard of to have a 43 year old man that's still able to play ball. The guys, what, an 8 time Golden Glove winner? It's not like smacking a ball out of the park was his sole asset to a team.

Either way, I think the money is besides the point. He has had every intention of breaking records, which was what I think his chief motivation has been.

Barry can say he doesn't care what people think all he'd like, but I'll bet he'll still be having it swimming around in his head long after he takes his last at bat.

In that regards, the saying holds true, anyone with a conscience will never feel good about something they cheated to achieve. All the money in the world can't take guilt away and will likely eat him up if he never comes clean. It's happened before.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited August 2007
    Truth of the matter is I don't care one way or another but has anyone actually PROVED he took steroids...or is it just total assumptions?
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Demiurge
    edited August 2007
    shack wrote: »
    Truth of the matter is I don't care one way or another but has anyone actually PROVED he took steroids...or is it just total assumptions?

He admitted he may have "unknowingly," taken them in his Grand Jury testimony. I don't know why an innocent man would admit to possibly taking something that might have been steroids. Also, during his Grandy Jury testimony it came out that he may have been using an undetectable steroid cream known as 'The Clear'.

It was made known to the players who testified that they were going after suppliers, not the players. So the fact he hasn't been indicted for using steroids is also of no relevance. However, Bonds is being persued for idictment on possible perjury charges due to inconsistencies in his Grandy Jury testimony.

Testing for steroids was blocked by the MLB Players Union during that era, so the hard fact he has never tested positive for them isn't relevant. Nobody had any jurisdiction or authority to test him or anyone else due to the union and threat of strike over the matter.

He will likely never test positive for them. There is overwhelming evidence he took them, and thus his records are tainted in the minds of many baseball fans. This also goes for a slew of other players for which the same can be said.

Also, in court they don't need more proof than has already come out to get a conviction. The point is they're not trying to nail him for steroids. By any standard, Barry Bonds is guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

We don't need to have a video of Colonel Mustard in the library with the steroid filled syringe in his arm to create reasonable doubt.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited August 2007
    By any standard, Barry Bonds is guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

That IS debatable. By your standards...maybe...but others may disagree. I doubt that in a court of law he could be convicted of taking steroids without some proof of the actual act. (regardless of what he is being investigated for)

There is NO undisputed, substantiated proof that he took steroids. It may be out there, but until someone can prove he did, it is still all speculation.

As I said, I could care less about Bonds specifically. My greater issue is that we as a society have become more accepting of finding guilt without proof...whether in sports or in the court of public opinion (legal talking heads make me sick). It seems more and more we are assuming one is guilty and it is their responsibilty to prove they are not. It's easy to find anyone guilty of something in our speculative minds. I am now and always will be a fan of innocent until PROVEN guilty
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Demiurge
    edited August 2007
    shack wrote: »
    That IS debatable. By your standards...maybe...but others may disagree. I doubt that in a court of law he could be convicted of taking steroids without some proof of the actual act. (regardless of what he is being investigated for)

There is NO undisputed, substantiated proof that he took steroids. It may be out there, but until someone can prove he did, it is still all speculation.

As I said, I could care less about Bonds specifically. My greater issue is that we as a society have become more accepting of finding guilt without proof...whether in sports or in the court of public opinion (legal talking heads make me sick). It seems more and more we are assuming one is guilty and it is their responsibilty to prove they are not. It's easy to find anyone guilty of something in our speculative minds. I am now and always will be a fan of innocent until PROVEN guilty

It's also debatable by some as to whether O.J. Simpson was guilty or innocent in the court of public opinion, which, whether you like those opinions or not, do matter.

As far as the courts are concerned O.J. Simpson is innocent. As far as the courts are concerned Barry Bonds is also innocent and has not been tried for a crime.

The MLB has an interest in following public opinion on this matter. However, they're completely road blocked by a players union that's only interested in protecting it's members (the players) -- not the sport. It's a double edged sword for the MLB. Do nothing, and the sport is forever tainted in the minds of the public. Do something, and lose millions by not having any product on the field due to a rogue players union.

As far as being a fan of innocent until PROVEN guilty, you openly called for the suspension of Michael Vick from the Falcons in this thread citing that Goodall has no balls. Why should he be suspended when he hasn't been proven guilty?

Your statements don't jive.

Michael Vick is obviously guilty in your mind, the court of public opinion, despite not being proven guilty in a court of law. There's no video of Vick killing dogs that we know of. So, we could play this off as a conspiracy against him until the ends of the earth. Ignoring all of the facts in Bond's case is just as intentionally ignorant as ignoring all of the facts in Vick's case.

I don't recall ever asking for Bonds to be thrown in jail in this thread or any other. I do believe he, and any other cheaters, should be kicked out of the MLB and they should be stripped of all of their records. That won't happen because the players union has the MLB by the balls.