Target goes blu...

Options
124»

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2007
    Options
    The BR factoid is pretty clear to all but the stupid when it comes to PS3 purchase. I'm pretty redneck and I figured all this new fangled technology out, just fine.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dvran
    dvran Posts: 280
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Its hard to believe that Blu-Ray or the HD-DVD format can really take off. I mean, the average consumer cant even afford to keep up with either (Blu-Ray or HD-DVD) of the technologies, even if there is just one that prevails in the end.

Right now, you walk into Bestbuy and all you see is the standard DVDs, and huge bins filled with $5 DVDs that people are swarming over to purchase. The HD-DVDs and Blu-Rays are all on small end caps and cost $30-40 for a movie.

Why should I buy any DVDs right if they will be obsolete in a few years, seems like a waste of money..... :eek:
    ~Dan

Projector: Epson 705HD on 106" DaLite
    TV: Samsung 50" Plasma PN50B550
    Receiver: Onkyo 607
    Fronts: Polk 1000i
    Center: Polk Csi40
    Rears: Polk Fxi30
    Sub: Velodyne Minivee 10
    PS3 and Xbox
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited August 2007
    Options
    dvran wrote: »
    Why should I buy any DVDs right if they will be obsolete in a few years, seems like a waste of money..... :eek:

Even if HD (HD-DVD or blu-ray) movies started selling like hot cakes tomorrow, SD DVD will continue to sell for many years to come. So go buy something, anything, even if its wrong :D
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited August 2007
    Options
    dvran wrote: »
    i've felt this way 5 years ago when i got my hdtv. i knew some form of optical hd would be out in a few years.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • BIZILL
    edited August 2007
    Options
    http://www.videobusiness.com/index.asp?layout=article&articleid=CA6472414

hd dvd players to finally hit the sub-$200 msrp. will be easily found cheaper than that come x-mas time.

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • cheddar
    cheddar Posts: 2,390
    edited August 2007
    Options
    BIZILL wrote: »
    http://www.videobusiness.com/index.asp?layout=article&articleid=CA6472414

hd dvd players to finally hit the sub-$200 msrp. will be easily found cheaper than that come x-mas time.

I would think toshiba's players will be pretty close in price come Christmas. The a2 has already dropped around this price from online retailers. The big question is whether it will include the free disks or not. Amazon has 8 free disk deals going for both blu-ray and hd-dvd. Seems like the sub $200 player has already been with us for some time now. ;)
  • BIZILL
    edited August 2007
    Options
    cheddar wrote: »
    I would think toshiba's players will be pretty close in price come Christmas. The a2 has already dropped around this price from online retailers. The big question is whether it will include the free disks or not. Amazon has 8 free disk deals going for both blu-ray and hd-dvd. Seems like the sub $200 player has already been with us for some time now. ;)

true, but i believe these are sub-$200 MSRP.

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote:
  • G-2
    G-2 Posts: 533
    edited August 2007
    Options
    We recently picked up a Toshiba HD DVD player and have been astounded at how much BETTER our regular DVD's look when played on it. We returned our Pioneer Elite Multi-Player (47AVi) and picked up one of the A2's. Couldn't be more pleased! Use the 3910 for music now.
    Home Theater
    Chane
    A3rx-c's, A2rc-c, A1rx-c's|Miller & Kreisel V-125's|Sony XBR65X810C 65" 4K LED TV|
    Earthquake Cinenova Grande-5|Pioneer Elite - VSX-84TXSi-AVR|TRIPPLITE LCR2400|
    Ultrasonic Amp Stand|Blue Jeans,Audioquest,Monster Cables|

2 - Channel
    Polk
    RTA 12c's w/RDO194 TWEETS, clarity ESA caps mills resistors (full mod)|Turntable|
    Anthem MCA 2|Acurus Act 3 Pre Pro|Parasound P/Ph 100|Pioneer Elite N-30|Adcom GDA600|
    Premier Rack|Blue Jeans,Audioquest,Monster Cables|
  • cheddar
    cheddar Posts: 2,390
    edited August 2007
    Options
    G-2 wrote: »
    We recently picked up a Toshiba HD DVD player and have been astounded at how much BETTER our regular DVD's look when played on it. We returned our Pioneer Elite Multi-Player (47AVi) and picked up one of the A2's. Couldn't be more pleased! Use the 3910 for music now.

I certainly wouldn't wait for the sub $200 venturer player. Toshiba quality is likely to be far better and the great deals exist now as you found out.
  • jimmyzen
    jimmyzen Posts: 57
    edited August 2007
    Options
    I recently saw a piece that had a pie chart showing how many of each format was out there. Best I remember is that HD format units were almost 3:1 over Blu Ray. Combo units were a tiny percentage because they were so expensive. I don't have that much interest in video so I didn't commit much detail of the article to memory. I think it may have been in the consumer secion of the local newspaper.
    The Beloved System:
    Parasound Halo P3 Preamp
    Parasound Halo T3 AM/FM Tuner
    Grant Audio Tube Buffer
    ADC Sound Shaper II IC Graphic Equalizer
    Polk XRT12 XM Satellite Radio Receiver
    2 Carver TFM 35x Power Amps
    Harmon Kardon T45 Turntable w\ Benz MC 20E Phono Cartridge
    Vincent Phono Preamp (not enough gain in the Parasound Phono In)
    Cambridge Audio 640C V2 CD Player
    Nakamichi BX300 Cassette Deck
    Polk RTi 12 Main Speakers
    2 Polk PSW 1000 Subwoofers
  • rtart
    rtart Posts: 817
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Buy 'em both! I bought a HD-A1 about a year ago for a little less than $500 and got 5 free movies. I bought a BD-300 a month ago from WM for $488 and got 7 free movies. I've enjoyed both immensely. I found a MovieStop store near my home (Duluth, GA) that sells both formats and has a great collection of used discs. Usually $18 to $20.

I took the plunge after looking at my equiment rack and realizing that at $500, EITHER machine was cheaper that any other component in my rack (and a heck of a lot higher performance!!)

If the format war favors one or the other, I'll still have a nice collection of HD movies and the machine to play them on.
    My 7.4.4 DIY 4k Home Theater:
    Polk LSiM 707 L-C-R, LSiM702 side surrounds, LSiM 705 rears
    Polk RC-80i x 4 In Ceiling Atmos speakers
    2 x SVS PB12/Plus 2's
    Denon X3700H
    Emotiva XPA11 Gen 3
    XBox One X 4k & BD and streaming
    Panasonic UB-420 4k player
    HD-A35 HD DVD
    Oppo BD-103D for hirez audio
    Technics SL-D2 TT, Grado Gold Cartridge
    JVC DLA-RS2000/NX7 projector
    Silver Ticket 120" acoustically transparent screen
    Berkline 090 electric recliners with Aura Bass Shakers
  • BIZILL
    edited October 2007
    Options
    old news, but different news than the original thread title. though kmart/sears has the ps3, they won't offer blu-ray stand-alone players.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/news/html/breaking_article.cfm?sec_id=2&&article_ID=11448

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote: