MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited August 2007
    Let's keep it that way!;) More for Cheddar's post.:p

Some people just need to get rid of their unwanted "feelings" for a format, it's a damn piece of electronics. Seems like people will protect a electronic purchase over their own children? Makes no sense.:confused:
  • cheddar
    cheddar Posts: 2,390
    edited August 2007
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited August 2007
    passion is the spice of life...so, not agreed. but i say we can let this one die. besides, maybe i'm just mad that i can't afford both.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • cheddar
    edited August 2007
    BIZILL wrote: »
    passion is the spice of life...so, not agreed. but i say we can let this one die. besides, maybe i'm just mad that i can't afford both.

Have you checked out the $350.00 deal people are talking about in the video game 'Sony PS3 Gaming Console (80GB HDD) w/ Motorstorm $599.99' thread? $150.00 off just for signing up for a sony credit card and you get the free blu-rays and some sort of points thing for a free remote on top of everything. Maybe worth checking into. $350 for all that is pretty nice.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55950
  • BIZILL
    edited August 2007
    cheddar wrote: »
    Have you checked out the $350.00 deal people are talking about in the video game 'Sony PS3 Gaming Console (80GB HDD) w/ Motorstorm $599.99' thread? $150.00 off just for signing up for a sony credit card and you get the free blu-rays and some sort of points thing for a free remote on top of everything. Maybe worth checking into. $350 for all that is pretty nice.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55950

i had considered it. not sure yet...it is still closer to $450+ as i don't look at 5 movies equalling $100 off my credit card. but still pretty sweet deal...

...but, i guess if i went for the 60gb, it would be down to $350 which is what i believe you meant.

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote:
  • cheddar
    edited August 2007
    i had considered it. not sure yet...it is still closer to $450+ as i don't look at 5 movies equalling $100 off my credit card. but still pretty sweet deal...

...but, i guess if i went for the 60gb, it would be down to $350 which is what i believe you meant.

Yep, an additional $100 off for the blu-rays would be $250. Crazy low for just a blu-ray player...but the $350 is already a hot deal...and you get to play games to boot...
  • BIZILL
    edited August 2007
    That's funny, 'cause I was in my local target this weekend and the shelves were empty of ps3s too. ;) Far more relevant to this thread, though, is the rumor currently circulating around AVS that TARGET and Costco no longer display any HD-DVD players except the add-on for purchase online. I just checked, and yep, they're gone. I wonder why? It didn't say anything about it in the official announcement...
    my guess as far as costco goes is that current stock will sell out soon and the new players are not yet ready for display. i hope that's the case. either way, i'm not worried about hd dvd going anywhere at all. neither do i think bluray will be gone anytime soon. like i said from the beginning, i think BOTH formats are here to stay. i chose hd dvd as it was the most cost-worthy purchase. and i will obviously continue to cheer for them as a successor to dvd. though sd dvd isn't going anywhere either...

VIVA HD DVD!!! ... i have no fear cheddar cheese.

COSTCO got em...

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11216505&search=HD%20DVD&Mo=28&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=0&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=HD%20DVD&Ntt=HD%20DVD&No=6&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote:
  • cheddar
    edited August 2007
    MikeC78 wrote: »
    This "deep color" is really only a gimmick, what display support this? You can't take advantage of this just because the player supports it, the display needs to have this too. What is the real advantage of this??

Hey MikeC,

I was reading the article below and am beginning to shift a little in my enthusiasm for hdmi 1.3.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Joshua_Zyber/High-Def_FAQ/High-Def_FAQ:_Is_HDMI_1.3_Really_Necessary/853

Sounds like if any of the of these options really take off, it might be only for the videophile market. Maybe new digital cams that have deep color in them or maybe a 'super-bit' HD disk that is encoded in a color bit higher than 8-bit.

And the audio part is just completely frustrating:
    So far, all HD DVD soundtracks have been authored in Advanced mode. Which means nothing will change when new receivers arrive on the market. Despite having HDMI 1.3 transmission and decoders built into the receiver, decoding will still have to take place in the player.

Currently, Blu-ray discs are authored in Basic mode, since they haven't gotten interactivity yet. As soon as BD Java is up and working, they'll all be authored in Advanced mode too. At that point, what are the decoders in the receivers going to do? Decode the relatively few BD titles that were released before interactivity? Most of those titles will be re-issued anyway.

Although it seems over at AVS, they're talking about a workaround for turning off the advanced mode and just getting a regular movie track without all the interactive stuff tacked on. If not, all the new 1.3 stuff from onkyo and denon would be useless if blu-ray uses advanced mode in future releases...
  • BIZILL
    edited August 2007
    technology never stands still long enough for the ave joe to keep up. just call me "joe".

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote:
  • cheddar
    edited August 2007
    Ain't that the truth. Congrats on 3000 posts BTW bizill ;).
  • BIZILL
    edited August 2007
    Ain't that the truth. Congrats on 3000 posts BTW bizill ;).

nice. didn't even notice my post count. thanks.

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote:
  • ilikesound
    ilikesound Posts: 355
    edited August 2007
    i think it all boils down to this:

eventually there will be a combo player that plays blu-ray and HD. it will probably cost around 1100 or 1200 to start, and will ultimately make both formats readily available to watch. so, the "winner" is the company who will take home more dinero for the actual TITLES that are being released. it is just dependant on who is in bed with what studio in the end. people are still going to buy both formats simply because you can't get Talladega Nights on HDDVD, for example. that's all it is folks. no more fanboy crap.
    At Home:
    Panasonic 42'' TC-L42U12 LCD
    Pioneer VSX-80TXV
    Toshiba HD-XA2
    Sony PS3 - psn "metalguitars"
    Xbox 360 - gamertag "giggidygiggidy"
    Panamax 4300EX
    Polk RTi8's
    Polk CSi3's
    Polk FXi3's. (x2)
    Martin Logan Dynamo (x2)
    Audioquest interconnects and wires.

Away From Home:
    JVC HDR-50
    stock system in new car for now:(
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited August 2007
    ilikesound wrote: »
    i think it all boils down to this:

eventually there will be a combo player that plays blu-ray and HD. it will probably cost around 1100 or 1200 to start, and will ultimately make both formats readily available to watch. so, the "winner" is the company who will take home more dinero for the actual TITLES that are being released. it is just dependant on who is in bed with what studio in the end. people are still going to buy both formats simply because you can't get Talladega Nights on HDDVD, for example. that's all it is folks. no more fanboy crap.

That player already exists. Lg BH100
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • ilikesound
    ilikesound Posts: 355
    edited August 2007
    i have also read this:

http://www.physorg.com/news96888339.html

which states that they're quite content supplying both formats until consumers choose which will prevail.

so, which is accurate?
    At Home:
    Panasonic 42'' TC-L42U12 LCD
    Pioneer VSX-80TXV
    Toshiba HD-XA2
    Sony PS3 - psn "metalguitars"
    Xbox 360 - gamertag "giggidygiggidy"
    Panamax 4300EX
    Polk RTi8's
    Polk CSi3's
    Polk FXi3's. (x2)
    Martin Logan Dynamo (x2)
    Audioquest interconnects and wires.

Away From Home:
    JVC HDR-50
    stock system in new car for now:(
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited August 2007
    PoLk FaN wrote: »
    one point arizona tea to have that big display of tea $$$$ I have seen some company buy the grocery manager a motorcycle just to have there product up front.

huh??? ...no offense, but what the hell does this sentence mean?
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • cheddar
    edited August 2007
    ilikesound wrote: »
    i have also read this:

http://www.physorg.com/news96888339.html

which states that they're quite content supplying both formats until consumers choose which will prevail.

so, which is accurate?

Your April article refers to a debunking of a rumor at that time that Walmart had placed an order for cheap hd-dvd players based on a translation of a post on a chinese language website. This article would have been considered bad news for hd-dvd who have been waiting for cheap chinese players, well publicized by the hd-dvd promotions group, since CES 2007 at the beginning of this year. What does this have to do with the current thread about Target supporting blu-ray? You do know that Target and Walmart are two DIFFERENT companies, right?
  • dexfx69
    dexfx69 Posts: 15
    edited August 2007
    Aaaahhh, just like the old vhs/beta days. Which format will win? Anyone's guess at this point.
  • BIZILL
    edited August 2007
    just to reiterate: PARAMOUNT goes HD DVD exclusive.

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote:
  • PoLk FaN
    PoLk FaN Posts: 81
    edited August 2007
    just to reiterate: PARAMOUNT goes HD DVD exclusive.

here you go http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/20/paramount-dreamworks-dropping-blu-ray-in-favor-of-hd-dvd-exclus
    I think they are stupid for this, I did want those movie on BR now I wont buy them at all now.
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Denon avr 1910
    Mains- Polk Audio Monitor 60
    Center- Polk Audio CS2 series II's
    Surrounds- Polk Audio Monitor 40 series II's
    Surround Backs Polk Audio Monitor 30
    Subs- Mirage S8 & Psw505
    T.V.- 46" Samsung lcd 120hz
    Blu-Ray- 60 GB PS3
    HD Dvd-Toshiba HD-A3
    Xbox 360- O town killer81
  • speakergeek
    speakergeek Posts: 555
    edited August 2007
    You could get one of the new Samsung dual format jobbies when it comes out this fall.
  • biffbyun
    biffbyun Posts: 35
    edited August 2007
    I still think it is WAAAY too premature to think one format over the other. Look at how long it took with vhs and beta. To top that off, look at how long it took DVD's to become mainstream and there was no format for that.
  • polktiger
    polktiger Posts: 556
    edited August 2007
    This will seem to be a bit of a smart remark, but does this (HD-DVD vs blue ray) make much of a difference if I am not wearing my glasses?

From my prospective, I waited to get my eyes checked until I could no longer read the score in the top corner of my standard def 36" TV from my couch which is 8 feet from the screen. With glasses I can read the score again! Although, since I can still see 90% of what I am looking at, I still only wear them if I really need them like during football season, while driving at night or when watching a movie with subtitles.

Having never watched HD TV, blue ray, etc as far as I am aware of are we just talking about an improvement in picture detail over standard def? Would it likely be something that I have to wear my glasses to enjoy the benefit? If so, I would hate to spend thousands of dollars on gear that won't do me any good if I take my $400 glasses off. (Of course if my hearing starts to go, I will probably start unloading my audio gear too.) I am just curious, do most people that get excited about HD video have "good" eyes? I watch some VHS tapes (w/o glasses) and see no difference with DVD (w/o glasses). However, I will still choose DVD over VHS because it is so much more conventient to use than VHS and the audio is better.

Is this really an earth shattering experience? Given my eyesight I am just having trouble getting all excited about spending much money on this technology. I guess I again just wonder whether most people that really get into HD video, if they have had lasik, wear contacts all the time or what.
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited August 2007
    I'd say if you don't wear glasses, or not concerned about the best picture and sound quality to save your pennies.

To me on my 50" plasma, it's a night and day difference. I'd almost make the analogy of VHS v DVD difference. On smaller displays such as yours, the difference is noticeable, but gets more pronounced with display size.
  • polktiger
    polktiger Posts: 556
    edited August 2007
    MikeC78 wrote: »
    I'd say if you don't wear glasses, or not concerned about the best picture and sound quality to save your pennies.
    QUOTE]

I didn't really follow that there were audio improvments, so until the hearing goes that may make things more worth while.

As far as screen size, unless we move (which my wife vowed will never happen given how much time has been spent on our remodel job) I doubt we will ever really be in the market for a TV much bigger than 36" (or its widescreen equivalent). We will only be 7 - 8 feet away from the TV, so a big screeen will never really be needed. I appreciate your feedback with the HD picture making a bigger difference with those larger screens.
  • BIZILL
    edited August 2007
    polktiger, you may be better served with a 42" lcd and an up-converting dvd player.

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote:
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited August 2007
  • dvran
    dvran Posts: 280
    edited August 2007
    I think the HD-DVD format will ultimately win the war because the average consumer just isn't familiar with the term "Blu-Ray".

Most consumers just want to buy DVDs, so hearing "HD-DVD" might make them lean towards buying HD-DVDs.

Most people don't even know the difference between component out and progressive scan out. I find out when I tried to sell my old big screen on Ebay.

:rolleyes:

~D
    ~Dan

Projector: Epson 705HD on 106" DaLite
    TV: Samsung 50" Plasma PN50B550
    Receiver: Onkyo 607
    Fronts: Polk 1000i
    Center: Polk Csi40
    Rears: Polk Fxi30
    Sub: Velodyne Minivee 10
    PS3 and Xbox
  • BIZILL
    edited August 2007
    dvran wrote: »
    I think the HD-DVD format will ultimately win the war because the average consumer just isn't familiar with the term "Blu-Ray".

Most consumers just want to buy DVDs, so hearing "HD-DVD" might make them lean towards buying HD-DVDs.

Most people don't even know the difference between component out and progressive scan out. I find out when I tried to sell my old big screen on Ebay.

:rolleyes:

~D

that's what i USED to think. but when i watch tv, all i see are advertisements for "available on dvd and BLU-RAY". i hardly ever hear "available on dvd and HD DVD"....which pisses me off. money is not being thrown at advertising.

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote:
  • Monster Jam
    Monster Jam Posts: 919
    edited August 2007
    dvran wrote: »
    ~D

The "average consumer" isn't buying either one of these machines - with the notable exception of a Sony Playstation 3 (which comes with Blu-ray, that they may or may not be aware of).

Early adopters (i.e. us) are the target market for these machines. We know the difference, and ultimately we shape the direction of which wins by supporting one or the other and passing on our knowledge on to the "average consumers".
    Do you hear that buzzing noise? :confused: