Well it looks like i'm moving to NC

13»

Comments

• jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited July 2007
    Hah, the typical response in NC would probably be:

"Looky here hunny, that thar fella's gonna fit right in."

Good luck! Our house search has stagnated, so it looks like we're going to have to start taking rides down and back soon........Dreading the 6 hours each way rides every weekend :/
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited July 2007
    jflail2 wrote: »
    Hah, the typical response in NC would probably be:

"Looky here hunny, that thar fella's gonna fit right in."

Heh- not around Raleigh. There's more of those Yankee M---er F---ers in my neighborhood than natives. Hell, if he finds himself missing New Jersey, he can just go check out ugly chicks on the Duke campus :)
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited July 2007
    Well I did a little exploring tonight and found Brier Creek. There were a few complexes that I want to check out this weekend. Anyone from the area please let me know where i should look. I want to stay close to RTP
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited July 2007
    Fireman32 wrote: »
    Well I did a little exploring tonight and found Brier Creek. There were a few complexes that I want to check out this weekend. Anyone from the area please let me know where i should look. I want to stay close to RTP

Isn't that where the Deliverance banjo player was from?:eek: :D:p
  • movtarget
    movtarget Posts: 125
    edited July 2007
    Brier Creek - slightly upscale without the 'Cary Effect' (think Stepford Wives, original, not the remake - I moved out of Cary on purpose)

Good Traffic Patterns, very little old construction, lots of available modern retail establishments

In the Airport fly pattern, but rules limit noise after 11 PM (most builders are over-insulating to compensate for impact - ask about that)

Only real RTP bottleneck from there is where I-540 intersects I-40.

Across Hwy 70 (north of Brier Creek) light to heavy industrial (planned that way because it's underneath the fly pattern).

A little closer to Duke and Carolina than I would be comfortable with :) My home is much closer to NC State. BTW, you'll have to claim an allegiance to one of the three big schools within 7 months of arrival.

Movtarget in NC
  • Fireman32
    edited July 2007
    movtarget, thanks for the tips. One of the reasons that I was looking at brier creek is that to get to work I can take back roads and it would be about a 5 minute drive. Also everything seems close by that i would need (resturants, supermarkets, etc). I am also looking at Carey and Apex as well. Hopefully tomorrow after work i will explore that area as well.
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited July 2007
    Check out around Beaver Creek (nope, not making that up). It's at the intersection of 55 and 64 in Apex. From there to where 55 hits new I-540 is about 5 minutes & there are a number of complexes around there that'll be cheaper than Brier Creek. The Beaver Creek shopping center isn't done, but it's supposed to be at least as big as Brier once they get finished.

Oh, more importantly, from Brier Creek get on 70 and head for raleigh- there's about 3 high end audio stores between there and Crabtree mall :) They'll be on the right as you're facing raleigh.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited July 2007
    You haven't moved yet? Get out! I'm told that they need rational audiophiles in the RDU area ASAP.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Fireman32
    edited July 2007
    UNC thanks for the tips. I will check it out.

Sal if all goes well I plan to be moved down here by then and invite some people here first and then drive down to Ted's. We shall see how it goes.
  • Fireman32
    edited July 2007
    Well I looked at about 15 apartments today. Most of the ones I looked at were very nice and I have narrowed it down to about 4 that I like. All are within a 10 minute commute to work. They are all basicly the same. All have nice floorplans and are around the same price. For the ones that know the area all of the ones i liked are in brier creek and morrisville. I plan on looking at a few more before i make a choice.
  • Fireman32
    edited August 2007
    Well yesterday I made my decision on a apartment and filled out all of the paperwork and today it is done. I decided on an apartment complex about 2 minutes away from my job in Morrisville. I am getting a 2 bed 2 bath apartment for a few bucks more then what i was paying for my 1 bedroom in NJ. They are throwing in a free full size washer and dryer (big plus for me) along with free cable and alarm system. They also have a nice clubhouse with a big pool and 24 hour fitness center.

I will be able to move in on Sept 7th and hopefully my job will pay for the rental of a u-haul for me and I can get out of this hotel im staying at. I am really excited to be moving down here and starting new. The job is great along with all of the people that I work with so I know the move is going to be a good thing.

Now I cant wait to get my system set up and listen to something better then my ipod.

Dave
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited August 2007
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited August 2007
    Great to hear.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited August 2007
    Now I cant wait to get my system set up and listen to something better then my ipod.

Dave

Wow I was just thinking about you!!! Great new Dave.
  • Fireman32
    edited August 2007
    Wow I was just thinking about you!!! Great new Dave.

Not sure how to take that Joe. I guess it depends on what you were thinking about :eek: :D
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited August 2007
    Congrats enjoy!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • marker
    marker Posts: 1,084
    edited August 2007
    Not sure how to take that Joe. I guess it depends on what you were thinking about :eek: :D

:D:D:D:D
  • simm
    simm Posts: 564
    edited August 2007
    I moved from Cary to Chesapeake Va about 4 months ago. I wish now we had never left. We were in Cary for a little over a year and I hated it at first as we were, I think, one of the few native North Carolinians in town :) but actually began to appreciate all it had to offer after about 6 months. We moved there from Winston Salem (About 1.5 hr west) so Cary was a bit of a change in culture for us. If I can't swing a transfer back to the area next spring I am going to look into changing jobs to get back. You will like living there. Enjoy.
  • Fireman32
    edited August 2007
    Simm I think that i will enjoy the area. The biggest factor is going to be my commute. I can walk to work if need be.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,980
    edited August 2007
    Hey, just to let you know, this heat is NOT normal for our area. Freakin' crazy. More than a dozen people dropped from the heat at Verizon Wireless amphitheater today, and this was at 4:00pm. 104 was the high I think?

Whoa!
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Girl_Addicted
    Girl_Addicted Posts: 195
    edited August 2007
    Congratulations. Raleigh is a great place. If you'd rather not live in the city, there are some great suburbs around the Raleigh area. It's also not too far from other awesome cities (Winston-Salem, for example, my home in 15 days).

Let me know if I can be of any help to you in researching stuff or something before you get here. :D You'll love southern hospitality.
    Trey (5:22:24 AM): my Taylos have copper phase plugs
    Trey (5:22:26 AM): they shiney
    Destiney (5:22:39 AM): ahaha
    Destiney (5:22:57 AM): that gives wrong pictures of you lovingly caressing your taylos copper phase plugs
    Trey (5:23:25 AM): >_>
    Trey (5:23:27 AM): Mayyybe
    Trey (5:23:31 AM): I do dust them, does this count?
    Destiney (5:23:22 AM): do you linger?
    Trey (5:23:49 AM): not normally
    Destiney (5:23:35 AM): then its okaaaaay
  • Girl_Addicted
    Girl_Addicted Posts: 195
    edited August 2007
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Hey, just to let you know, this heat is NOT normal for our area. Freakin' crazy. More than a dozen people dropped from the heat at Verizon Wireless amphitheater today, and this was at 4:00pm. 104 was the high I think?

Whoa!

I was at Verizon Wireless for Warped Tour and it was only 98 then and I thought I was going to DIE.

It was freakin' 108 in Albemarle today! 102 here.
    Trey (5:22:24 AM): my Taylos have copper phase plugs
    Trey (5:22:26 AM): they shiney
    Destiney (5:22:39 AM): ahaha
    Destiney (5:22:57 AM): that gives wrong pictures of you lovingly caressing your taylos copper phase plugs
    Trey (5:23:25 AM): >_>
    Trey (5:23:27 AM): Mayyybe
    Trey (5:23:31 AM): I do dust them, does this count?
    Destiney (5:23:22 AM): do you linger?
    Trey (5:23:49 AM): not normally
    Destiney (5:23:35 AM): then its okaaaaay
  • movtarget
    movtarget Posts: 125
    edited August 2007
    Someone keeps track of the temperature in Albemarle? Is that Kelly Pickler's new job?

I had to go see the magistrate about a traffic related issue in downtown Albemarle last year.

Fireman, congrats on the apartment, and welcome to the heat!

Movtarget
  • Fireman32
    edited August 2007
    thanks everyone. I am looking foward to the move. This heat is somthing else and i know its not the norm.