Well it looks like i'm moving to NC

Fireman32
Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
edited August 2007 in The Clubhouse
Well as most of you may know my current IT job it being outsourced to Costa Rica. The company stated that they were going to try to get as many of us as they can into other acconts with the company and the chance is better if you are willing to relocate.

Well I gave it alot of thought and decided that it's time to leave NJ and look somewhere else. Jersey is way too expensive to live and I will never be able to afford a house. Well last week my boss approached me about a job in Raleigh NC and I interviewed for it yesterday and I found out today that I got the job.

The job involves be getting a new office up and running for the desktop support team and will be supporting approx 200 plus people. The company will be flying me down and putting me in a hotel for the first 3 months of the trasition and then after that I have a choice if I want to stay there full time.

The are having me start a week from next monday so it is moving fast. Being that I will probably wind up staying down there full time I would love any help from the NC polkies about where I should look for a place to live after the 3 months. I want to get an apartment first and then look for a house.

I am going to miss all of my friends up here who are more like family then anything else. Thanks everyone for listening.
Post edited by Fireman32 on

Comments

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited July 2007
    3 mos should be a good amount of time to find a nice area. Good luck!
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited July 2007
    Hit me w/ a PM for your general price range and I'll give you a run down of the areas... Oh and where's the office going to be?
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • Fireman32
    edited July 2007
    unc2701 wrote: »
    Hit me w/ a PM for your general price range and I'll give you a run down of the areas... Oh and where's the office going to be?

PM comming your way. The office is in research triangle park.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited July 2007
    How will you deal with the fact that you can't spoon with Lou anymore? That's a great area of NC.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited July 2007
    Yep... and the good news is that we're just about one of the only places in the US where the real estate market is still expanding. In two years my wife's house went up 33% in value, we sold it in the middle of the winter and kinda dumped it for less than it was worth since we didn't want to end up with 3 mortages (each had a house, got married, put deposit on new construction).

Even my ghetto Durham house cleared 30% in the four years I had it.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited July 2007
    Sounds golden to me good luck :)

I don't think you will miss NJ or any place up north.

Did I just say that oops ;)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Fireman32
    edited July 2007
    dorokusai wrote: »
    How will you deal with the fact that you can't spoon with Lou anymore? That's a great area of NC.

I will admit I will miss the big guy we have been friends for 14 years and him and his wife are like my extended family.
  • Fireman32
    edited July 2007
    disneyjoe7 wrote: »
    Sounds golden to me good luck :)

I don't think you will miss NJ or any place up north.

Did I just say that oops ;)

I do not think I will miss Jersey at all. I have hated this state for years and this is my golden opportunity to get out.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited July 2007
    BT-jerseygirls-gallery-682.jpg

Good luck in NC!
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited July 2007
    Good luck! I'm moving back to NC myself in a couple of months, but to the other side of the state. The only thing you'll not like is the heat....talk about miserable.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • Fireman32
    edited July 2007
    Thanks for all the well wishes everyone. Jfail the heat will not bother me. I spent 5 years in south florida and delt with it there.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited July 2007
    I think you'll like it. Used to live in NC many decades ago. I'm sure the
    Research triangle area is very developed by now.
    A change of scenery is always good. My last boss wanted me to
    move to Raleigh. Current boss thinks otherwise.
    Good luck. I think you'll find that area is open to other job
    opportunities as well.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited July 2007
    dorokusai wrote: »

he was such a good fit too :D:p:D:p
    lol
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited July 2007
    in all seriousness, I'm sad to see him go, but he's gotta do it. this is one of those "cant pass it up" oppurtunities
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited July 2007
    Congrats on the new job!
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,798
    edited July 2007
    Yeah congrats! I grew up in NC, about 65 miles SW o Raleigh in a town called Dudley. If you yawn after you get to Goldsboro on 70 east you will miss it. Wonderful place to grow up. When I needed a job a few years ago I could not find one in my are (music teacher). So i have been here for 15 yrs. You will enjoy it.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited July 2007
    Congratulations and good luck in your new job! You're going to a great part of NC. I wish you well in your new job!
    Carl

• Bamadude
    Bamadude Posts: 245
    edited July 2007
    Congratulations! I lived in Wilmington for a few years working for Corning and loved it there. Definitely check out the Outer Banks and Wrightsville Beach. Good luck.
    AVR: Pioneer VSX-84TXSi (RIP - lightening) / Amp: Sunfire Cinema Grand / Klipsh R-10B Sounbar, LC65fx / Sub: Elemental Designs LT/1300 / TV: Panasonic TH-50PH9UK /SIZE]
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,065
    edited July 2007
    Congrats Dave & best of luck. It just won't be the same without you at our get togethers. I heard they're still big on 8 tracks down there, some great competition for your vinyl!!! :D
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • snow
    snow Posts: 4,337
    edited July 2007
    I wish you the best of luck at your new job and location.

REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited July 2007
    Congrats & good luck.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited July 2007
    Welcome to the South! Raleigh is a nice place to live. My sister was there for 4 years and really liked it and I got to see quite a bit of the area when I visited. Good luck in the new job.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Fireman32
    edited July 2007
    The more I think about it the more excited i get.
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2007
    You should see how excited I am right now.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,437
    edited July 2007
    You're going to find out what the "Bible Belt" is all about. On the upside, you'll be close to Cary Audio.

Best wishes and congrats!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dorokusai
    edited July 2007
    So when your Cary gear breaks, it won't have to go far.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited July 2007
    That's a great area, congrats!!

Another plus, if you check craigslist....a LOT of good used gear comes up for grabs in that area.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited July 2007
    Yay for you! A new adventure..that's what life is all about.:D
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited July 2007
    Congrats Dave. I knew you were going to be well taken care of.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited July 2007
    Good luck in your new life man! NC is pretty casual. No shortage of Jersey transplants down there, especially around Charlotte. I'm sure the original inhabitants are tickled pink over the whole affair.