I think it's over!

Comments

• bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    edited July 2007
    I think the link shows that progress has it's problems and issues.

Hearingimpared, wait to you see what the next 7 years will bring.
  • JimBRICK
    JimBRICK Posts: 1,543
    edited July 2007
    all I can say is I'm glad the daisy duke shorts are back in style..............except guys are wearing them too now LOL
    2 CHANNEL
    Speaker - Klipsch Heresy II
    Under construction
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited July 2007
    JimBRICK wrote: »
    all I can say is I'm glad the daisy duke shorts are back in style..............except guys are wearing them too now LOL

I don't know where you hang out, but I haven't seen them on men just yet.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited July 2007
    Shizelbs wrote: »
    There's some old dinosaur out there somewhere bitching about people wasting their time listening to music, instead of picking up a banjo or harmonica and making the music themselves.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA with a piece of straw hanging out of his mouth.
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited July 2007
    Get off my lawn you young whipper-snappers what with your tomfoolery and shenanigans!!!!
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • bikezappa
    edited July 2007
    I don't know where you hang out, but I haven't seen them on men just yet.

You need to get out more.
  • hearingimpared
    edited July 2007
    bikezappa wrote: »
    I think the link shows that progress has it's problems and issues.

Hearingimpared, wait to you see what the next 7 years will bring.

Well I am already having problems turning my clamp due to the onset of arthritis in my hands.:(

I guess that eliminates me from barroom brawling anymore!!!:eek: :D:p
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited July 2007
    Well I am already having problems turning my clamp due to the onset of arthritis in my hands.:(

Lucky for us it hasn't impaired your ability to type out 15+ posts a day here. :D
  • hearingimpared
    edited July 2007
    PolkThug wrote: »
    Lucky for us it hasn't impaired your ability to type out 15+ posts a day here. :D

I can still type really fast. Imagine if I posted in every thread I read!:eek: :p
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited July 2007
    bikezappa wrote: »
    You need to get out more.

Nuh-uh, not if thats what I am going to run into.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2007

Ding! You read my mind. He was up over 16, he's toned it down a bit.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • hearingimpared
    edited July 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    Ding! You read my mind. He was up over 16, he's toned it down a bit.

I'm flattered that you guys are keeping count!:rolleyes: :p
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited July 2007
    There's some old dinosaur out there somewhere bitching about people wasting their time listening to music, instead of picking up a banjo or harmonica and making the music themselves.

He has a great point, too.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • JimBRICK
    JimBRICK Posts: 1,543
    edited July 2007
    I never post just to post :)
    2 CHANNEL
    Speaker - Klipsch Heresy II
    Under construction
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2007
    First thing we learned in Sociology (well, about 10 years back when I was in college) is that our society continues to get better since the 50's. All major indicators "negativity" continue to fall even in a time when they are actually *REPORTED* more. There is absolutely no doubt about it.

One possible issue here is "Church" morals. Or typical segregated views of specific religions that are losing affluence in society that because people do not believe in the biblical definition of society that it is immoral.

Well, to those people... you know Society changes. Church and religion follows popular society by and large right along with science. 100 years ago, people thought GOD created weather and I was preached every Sunday in Church. But hey have to... people become educated and start questioning....

But that’s a good thing. 95% of the death and violence and anything else negative have been over religion. So as society moves away from it, things will continue to improve.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • hearingimpared
    edited July 2007
    Silverti wrote: »
    Well, to those people... you know Society changes. Church and religion follows popular society by and large right along with science. 100 years ago, people thought GOD created weather and I was preached every Sunday in Church. But hey have to... people become educated and start questioning....

But that’s a good thing. 95% of the death and violence and anything else negative have been over religion. So as society moves away from it, things will continue to improve.

I'm not a big supporter of religion per se, I believe in spirituality but you can't tell me that society will benefit from the moving away from morals and ethics, both of which are biblical; maybe not taught by a religion! But whoever said that religions are biblical???? Not me! I can show you where the big religions of the day are NOT biblical.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited July 2007
    There is nothing better than a Polk Forum "Love In":D
    Carl

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited July 2007
    I'm not a big supporter of religion per se, I believe in spirituality but you can't tell me that society will benefit from the moving away from morals and ethics, both of which are biblical; maybe not taught by a religion! But whoever said that religions are biblical???? Not me! I can show you where the big religions of the day are NOT biblical.

Morals and ethics are one thing (and certainly not linked directly to religion). Religion in certain contexts can teach a lot of hate and intolerance as well, if preached by the wrong people. Think homosexuals, or even non-whites (Hitler was VERY religious, and used religious dogma to his benefit.) The ten commandments are a good guideline for a "clean life", though arguably there should only be six :
    Jesus was once asked (at Matthew 19:17-19) which Commandments should be kept. The answer: "And Jesus said, 'You shall not murder; you shall not commit adultery; you shall not steal; you shall not bear false witness. Honor your father and mother. Also, you shall love your neighbor as yourself.' "

But people can use the words of the Bible or what they believe to be religious ideals (which are largely made up by MAN) for some horrific purposes. I'm not even remotely religious, though I would consider myself very moral ; why do the two have to go hand in hand, other than that some people would not be moral were it not for the consequences outlined in religion?
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • hearingimpared
    edited July 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Morals and ethics are one thing (and certainly not linked directly to religion). Religion in certain contexts can teach a lot of hate and intolerance as well, if preached by the wrong people. Think homosexuals, or even non-whites (Hitler was VERY religious, and used religious dogma to his benefit.) The ten commandments are a good guideline for a "clean life", though arguably there should only be six :

But people can use the words of the Bible or what they believe to be religious ideals (which are largely made up by MAN) for some horrific purposes. I'm not even remotely religious, though I would consider myself very moral ; why do the two have to go hand in hand, other than that some people would not be moral were it not for the consequences outlined in religion?

We are in agreement then.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited July 2007

what was that sound? oh, the planets stopped rotating................ carry on, nothing to see here :D
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited July 2007
    Twice in one week! It's a Christmas miracle.

Err... a July miracle!
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • hearingimpared
    edited July 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Twice in one week! It's a Christmas miracle.

Err... a July miracle!

It's a Festus miracle!!! See the aluminum pole.:D

That was easy, religion is man made.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited July 2007
    Old people smell funny.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • bikezappa
    edited July 2007
    I think the point of hearingimpared's thread was that technology has positive and negative results on all our lives. I dare to quote the Unibomber here. Please understand that I in no way condone his killing of innocent people. His take on tecknology is very interesting to me however.

127. A technological advance that appears not to threaten freedom often turns out to threaten freedom often turns out to threaten it very seriously later on. For example, consider motorized transport. A walking man formerly could go where he pleased, go at his own pace without observing any traffic regulations, and was independent of technological support-systems. When motor vehicles were introduced they appeared to increase man's freedom. They took no freedom away from the walking man, no one had to have an automobile if he didn't want one, and anyone who did choose to buy an automobile could travel much faster than the walking man. But the introduction of motorized transport soon changed society in such a way as to restrict greatly man's freedom of locomotion. When automobiles became numerous, it became necessary to regulate their use extensively. In a car, especially in densely populated areas, one cannot just go where one likes at one's own pace one's movement is governed by the flow of traffic and by various traffic laws. One is tied down by various obligations: license requirements, driver test, renewing registration, insurance, maintenance required for safety, monthly payments on purchase price. Moreover, the use of motorized transport is no longer optional. Since the introduction of motorized transport the arrangement of our cities has changed in such a way that the majority of people no longer live within walking distance of their place of employment, shopping areas and recreational opportunities, so that they HAVE TO depend on the automobile for transportation. Or else they must use public transportation, in which case they have even less control over their own movement than when driving a car. Even the walker's freedom is now greatly restricted. In the city he continually has to stop and wait for traffic lights that are designed mainly to serve auto traffic. In the country, motor traffic makes it dangerous and unpleasant to walk along the highway. (Note the important point we have illustrated with the case of motorized transport: When a new item of technology is introduced as an option that an individual can accept or not as he chooses, it does not necessarily REMAIN optional. In many cases the new technology changes society in such a way that people eventually find themselves FORCED to use it.)
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited July 2007
    128. Consider the invention of the US Postal Service. Before there was mail, men could walk to deliver the news. They didn't care about the doings in other towns, because it didn't affect them. Then the Pony Express came about and, with it, came the ability to deliver mail to neighboring towns. Man was now starting to receive news from all over the country and could have goods delivered to places previously unimaginable. Jump forward to today and companies would cease to exist without mail or delivery companies. Now, because I am a crackpot who thinks harming others will somehow make my existence worthwhile, I can send mail to others that will explode in their face when they open it. hmmm Now that I think about it, everything I have written kind of invalidates itself..I guess I am just a crackpot..
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited July 2007

You left off your qualifier though, that you don't believe Christianity is a religion.

I'm not going to read your 15+ posts a day if you just go around agreeing with people. :D
  • hearingimpared
    edited July 2007
    You left off your qualifier though, that you don't believe Christianity is a religion.

I'm not going to read your 15+ posts a day if you just go around agreeing with people. :D

Christianity is its true form is spirituality not religion. Christianity came out of the Bible which I believe is NOT man made. That's just me though.

Wow Thuggy that 15+ posts a day really seems to get under you skin.:eek: Contrary to what you may believe, I don't post for the sake of posting. This is the only forum I frequent so all my forum time is spent here.;) :D:p I've visited and joined others, compared to this one they are IMHO nowhere's near as good or satisfying.:)
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,489
    edited July 2007
    The media has alot to do with it - taking as much "if it bleeds, it leads" as they can- spinning and turning it into fear and dissent so that as many as possible will consume or conform to a particular thought process. Whether it be an opinion/idea like "back in my day..." or an actual consumable like a nice car or plastic surgery. And it's never been more true than today, in part thanks to the wonderful media and marketing tool of the internet. IMO.

(edit)
    cfrizz wrote: »
    BOTH views are accurate. That's the problem with threads like these. Just showing 1 view leaves for a very lopsided picture of how it truly was & is!

Perfect summation.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,670
    edited July 2007
    I'm 52. Those seven years make a world of difference.:)

Oh, you young whippersnappers ! Why, I oughta take my cane and give you all a severe thrashing !! ;)

Some things weren't as nice, but a lot of things were ....... "slower" and nicer.

Stores closed at 9 pm; most were closed on Sundays.

During our summers off from school, we'd play baseball, ALL day long. 95 degrees out, who cared ? Somebody would should up with a big jug of KoolAid and we'd keep sweating.
    Grab our bikes and ride down to Mo Bottoms (along the river) and fish in the sloughs. Sure, all we'd ever catch was mud/yellow cat, but what the heck; it was fun.
    We pulled a 350 Honda out of Carburator Creek one year and pushed it home to my buddy's house 3 miles; thought we discovered gold (local cop claimed it was his, and took it).
    We'd take 22's and WALK a mile to the local woods and shoot at squirrels, trees, logs, frogs, starlings (they were open game, because they were "dirty birds").

Nowadays .... I wouldn't let my kids/grandkids do the same things. Too many kooks/weirdos out there.
    And a group of kids toting 22's down the street ? They might last about 2 blocks before the local SWAT was called.
    Sloughs are gone, due to irrigation channeling.

Of course, there was no Internet back then. You can easily find in one hour on the Net what would take you a week at the library back then.

It is a shame that some of the core values back then seemed to be lost by a large segment of the population today.
    Some of what is gone should have been left behind (racism, etc), but some of what we have "gained" ain't worth having.

Nice post, Joe.
    Sal Palooza
  • hearingimpared
    edited July 2007
    Oh, you young whippersnappers ! Why, I oughta take my cane and give you all a severe thrashing !! ;)

Nice post, Joe.

Thanks POP you have my respect!:D

One thing about back then compared to now that I miss is that sense of ease and slow comfort. Today, multi-tasking is the word of the day and not an option but a necessity!

One thing that is much better now but it has it pitfalls too is medicine.