2. Segregation
    3. McCarthyism
    4. Start of Atomic weapons race

The good ol' days.:rolleyes:

Nothing like a negative view of America!:rolleyes:
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited July 2007
    Oh Jesus not another one of these threads.

Your fantasy world never existed but in your mind. If you grew up in this time period, ask your mother how happy she was, staying home all day every day, working her **** off doing housework that's done in half the time now. Ask kids how much they dreamed of having more personal space rather than sharing a bedroom with 3 or 4 siblings.

Know what, forget it. You guys just skewer me every time I refute these threads.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited July 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Oh Jesus not another one of these threads.

Your fantasy world never existed but in your mind. If you grew up in this time period, ask your mother how happy she was, staying home all day every day, working her **** off doing housework that's done in half the time now. Ask kids how much they dreamed of having more personal space rather than sharing a bedroom with 3 or 4 siblings.

Know what, forget it. You guys just skewer me every time I refute these threads.

I grew up during the last half of that time period and yes you don't know what you are talking about. No fantasys here bro.
  • bobman1235
    edited July 2007
    I grew up well after it and loved my childhood too. Doesn't everyone who's not beaten or diseased remember their childhood fondly, and think it's better than today? Didn't your parents say the same thing? Would you have liked to have grown up in the 30's? "we waited in line for bread, but we had respect for our elders, and didn't listen to that heathen rock and roll!"

It's bull.
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,065
    edited July 2007
    Nice piece Joe. Ah, those were the good 'ole days. Just think, vinyl ruled back then because CD's weren't invented yet!!! :rolleyes:
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • hearingimpared
    edited July 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    It's bull.

What's Bull? You sound like you are pist off. Sounds like you had a harried and stressful childhood, hmm leftover nervousness.

C'mon man don't make a big deal of it. The thread was started for entertainment value not a friggin debate about how people take things like this personally.
  • bobman1235
    edited July 2007
    Fair enough, enjoy your nostalgia.
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited July 2007
    It was entertaining, and I am not taking it as "society has gone to hell" since then, as some people do....There is something interesting I would like to point out though; I have had the displeasure of seeing a lot of 18-22 year olds that really have little or no respect for the freedoms that many generations of people have fought to protect...
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited July 2007
    WilliamM2 wrote: »
    They left a few points out:
    1. Racism
    2. Segregation
    3. McCarthyism
    4. Start of Atomic weapons race

The good ol' days.:rolleyes:

You should write for Andy Roonie!
  • bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    edited July 2007
    Good times bad times. It's all in how you remember.
  • JimBRICK
    JimBRICK Posts: 1,543
    edited July 2007
    same things were happening back then they just hid it better
    2 CHANNEL
    Speaker - Klipsch Heresy II
    Under construction
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited July 2007
    While the world may be a better place in the eyes of some people, too may of the old GOOD values are gone. Thanks for the walk Joe. I enjoyed it as I do when I look at old photos of family and friends that may or may not be here with me today. Nostalgia is a precious feeling to hold on to for those of us that have something to hold on to.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • hearingimpared
    edited July 2007
    bikezappa wrote: »
    Good times bad times. It's all in how you remember.

Wow all of America was really eff'd up!:rolleyes: C'mon man it was during "the good ole days" that 95% of Americans were fighting that kind of racism and beat it!

How come some people go right to the negative side of living in America?

This was and still is the greatest country on God's green earth to have the privilege and good fortune to live in.

Perhaps South Africa or Uganda or Pakistan or the USSR or Cuba or Panama or Haiti or Granada or North Korea or Vietnam or Afghanistan or Irag or Iran or any other friggin country on this earth is a better place to live! :confused:
  • hearingimpared
    edited July 2007
    JimBRICK wrote: »
    same things were happening back then they just hid it better

Yeah that might be true but you can't deny ALL of the great things listed in that link!!!
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2007
    I'm with Bob, the good ole days syndrome is tired.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited July 2007
    How can there be "no need for recording things, someone was always home"?
    While "no one stayed at home because we liked to be together"?

It is this type of inconsistency that gives old people a bad name.
    BAH!!!!!
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • hearingimpared
    edited July 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    I'm with Bob, the good ole days syndrome is tired.

Tired but true.
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited July 2007
    Nothing like a negative view of America!:rolleyes:

Who's got a negative view of America? Me, or the guy who thinks it was better 50 years ago? It ain't me...
  • bikezappa
    edited July 2007
    Wow all of America was really eff'd up!:rolleyes: C'mon man it was during "the good ole days" that 95% of Americans were fighting that kind of racism and beat it!

How come some people go right to the negative side of living in America?

This was and still is the greatest country on God's green earth to have the privilege and good fortune to live in.

Perhaps South Africa or Uganda or Pakistan or the USSR or Cuba or Panama or Haiti or Granada or North Korea or Vietnam or Afghanistan or Irag or Iran or any other friggin country on this earth is a better place to live! :confused:

Yes the past was simpler and easier to understand. The link was fine.

It brings back selected memories and I'm 59.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited July 2007
    Great link! Those are the good ole days. I remember not having everyone talking on cell phones all the time. When you went out dining with someone, you talked to them rather than your boss, your daycare, your third exwife... When you left the house you had all the info you needed until you returned or reached your destination. You used to actually be able to make a decision on your own at the grocery store...

I hate communications if you can't tell. I used to not have a phone at all. Can anyone imagine how nice it is to go home at the end of the day and leave your worries behind? It was almost a vacation type setting.

I liked the idea of being able to actually do something for myself too. Does anyone remember you can actually cook things for yourself? I don't mean out of a can either.

And music! You could actually spin some vinyl without being considered freaky. :)

Oh, the good ole days.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • bikezappa
    edited July 2007
    If you have a different view of history it doesn't mean you have a negative view. You just have a "different" view or memory. Who knows what view is more accurate.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited July 2007
    BOTH views are accurate. That's the problem with threads like these. Just showing 1 view leaves for a very lopsided picture of how it truly was & is!

I know you meant well Joe, but I certainly wouldn't view standing in a line for cheese, margarine, (with attached food coloring to turn it yellow) bread etc something to wax philisophical over. Nor would I do so for not being able to get a job in Charlestown or South Boston because you're black.

Did they sit around & listen to the radio? Sure, cause tv hadn't been invented yet.

My Grandmother was left to raise her 6 kids all alone because her husband died from something that is probably easily treated now, but the medications & technology hadn't been invented yet!

Life back then wasn't the end all to be all, nor was it the worst ever.
    If you have a different view of history it doesn't mean you have a negative view. You just have a "different" view or memory. Who knows what view is more accurate.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited July 2007
    It was a great time to be a black homosexual.
  • hearingimpared
    edited July 2007

You have more experience than I do on this BZ. I yield to your opinion based on expericence rather than just an opinion.
  • bikezappa
    edited July 2007
    cfrizz wrote: »
    BOTH views are accurate. That's the problem with threads like these. Just showing 1 view leaves for a very lopsided picture of how it truly was & is!

I know you meant well Joe, QUOTE]

Right on, dead nuts! Well said.
  • bikezappa
    edited July 2007
    You have more experience than I do on this BZ. I yield to your opinion based on expericence rather than just an opinion.

How old are you may I ask? Less than 59 I imagine.
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited July 2007
    Hmmm... I should bookmark this link and read it every 5 years or so.

I'll know I'm officially old and losing my mind a bit when I agree with it completely and think society is going to hell. ;)
  • hearingimpared
    edited July 2007
    How old are you may I ask? Less than 59 I imagine.

I'm 52. Those seven years make a world of difference.:)
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited July 2007
    There's some old dinosaur out there somewhere bitching about people wasting their time listening to music, instead of picking up a banjo or harmonica and making the music themselves.