iphone

POLKOHOLIC
POLKOHOLIC Posts: 407
edited July 2007 in The Clubhouse
goes on sale tomorrow at 6pm i think. anyone getting it?
Post edited by POLKOHOLIC on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited June 2007
    way back when it was cool to own a Razr.. i got me one.. it wasn't that cool for very long. maybe two months. i regret ever buying it. I kind of feel the same way as the IPhone.

so no, i won't be buying one tomorrow... or ever.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • POLKOHOLIC
    edited June 2007
    iPhone is cool and it actually has good features like wifi b/g and mac os built in (just to name a few)....the razr was a piece of **** - it only looked like it had balls but was infact neutered.
  • POLKOHOLIC
    edited June 2007
    btw the only way that i would get it would be if i could find an unlocked set. i travel often to south east asia/middle east and need to be able to use different mobile phone service providers. it is quad band so it should work everywhere
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited June 2007
    anyone getting it?
    Nope. I have no need for it. I have a phone that makes and receives calls, and it works fine.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited June 2007
    You can only get a 4gb and 8gb models, so I'd rather spend the money on a separate MP3 player with more capacity and a higher end phone than to pay $500-700 for the iPhone.........

I do wish there were more MP3 players that had wi/fi access so you can pull in some internet stations when ya want........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,437
    edited June 2007
    $600.00 are you effing crazy???

BTW, it's reported to be slower than turtle **** unless you're on top of a wifi for those of you into that sort of thing.

My Razr makes and receives calls perfectly, cost $50.00, I'm happy.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited June 2007
    My razr worked perfect for a year and a half. Glitched a bit when I got it wet but I let it dry and all was well. I just upgraded because I was bored and I'm a technology ****. T-Mobile Wing FTW!
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited June 2007
    I think Apple was foolish to hook their wagon to AT&T/Cingular, who are usually in last place as far as reliability and call drops. For $600, they should have put a larger hard drive in it. Maybe by Christmas Apple and Sony can team up and offer a PS3/iPhone package deal for $500.00 :D
    V
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited June 2007
    100% hype and as mentioned before, a terrible decison to hook up with AT&T(GSM).
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • jgido759
    jgido759 Posts: 572
    edited June 2007
    Ron-P wrote: »
    Nope. I have no need for it. I have a phone that makes and receives calls, and it works fine.

My thoughts exactly.
    Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support
    group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.
    -Drew Carey

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
    -Unknown

My DVD Collection
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited June 2007
    While I can see complaints against AT&T itself (though I've never heard of them in "last place" in ANYthing except maybe customer service), I don't see complaints against GSM. Almost any modern device is GSM - if you want your product to sell on the global market, especially Europe, the only way to go is GSM. The US is one of the few countries that has anything else (TDMA, Sprint PCS, etc).
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited June 2007
    I'll keep my LG eNV. love my phone, but felt it was pricey at 175. no effing way I'm paying 600 for a cell phone. and we all know first gen anything, including apple, is gonna suck and get improved anyway.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited June 2007
    Way to much for a phone. I have and love my IPOD and my phone as crappy as it is still works. so im satisfied.
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited June 2007
    No 3G, no Exchange or corporate application support.

Nope. My Motorola Q is still the shizzle.

I'll consider an iPhone when they get to rev 3, maybe.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited June 2007
    Well, they shouldn't have called it "iphone" because a lot of people will think it's just a phone. Six hundred bucks is not an unreasonable retail price considering what you get -- a cell phone, ipod, and PDA all rolled into a single device. Plus, it's apparently extremely sophisticated and cutting edge.

Of course, I won't be buying one. I plan to remain at leat two generations behind because my needs are simple.

Where's Microsoft's competing device at? Oh yeah, they'll have to wait for Apple to gobble up more market share before they copy the technology and introduce an unimpressive POS like Zune.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • POLKOHOLIC
    edited June 2007
    honestly, i think apple fanboys will eat this up like thanksgiving leftovers.

you have to remember that apple has a strong following and a marketing strategy second to none. i know a number of people on wall street just waiting to get there hands on this.

as far as gsm vs tdma, pcs etc.. goes - gsm is tons better in that there are many more phones available and the ability for those phones to be used in many parts of the world. you get a phone from sprint or verizon and your screwed when you travel overseas.

in any case...i can bet you that the iphone is sold out in a couple days and ebay listings will probably fetch about 1k for a set.
  • bobman1235
    edited June 2007
    From my understanding, eBay is useless for the iPhone, it has to be linked to an AT&T account at time of purchase, and a two-year contract is REQUIRED to buy the phone, so anyone selling a phone would have had to sign up for a two-year contract that is non-transferrable.

I don't think anyone who's in the market for something as high-end as an iPhone is going to "mistake it for just a phone." They'd have to live in a cave to not have seen the ads or heard about it at this point, and at 600 bucks, it's not exactly marketed to cave-dwellers.
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited June 2007
    I don't want an ipod, I don't care to surf the web on a tiny **** screen and I already have a cell phone though the best cell phone carrier, Verizon Wireless.

More worthless junk that'll cause more accidents since people will think it's WAY COOL to surf the web while driving.

So, any bets on how many people will be trampled and beat up trying to force their way into Apple stores trying to get one?

John
    No excuses!
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited June 2007
    Strong Bad wrote: »
    I don't want an ipod, I don't care to surf the web on a tiny **** screen and I already have a cell phone though the best cell phone carrier, Verizon Wireless.

+1 for me. But hey, if people want to shell out $1000+ dollars to suffer with AT&T service for two years, more power to them.

Steve Jobs seriously has mind control over a large percentage of the population. He could crap in a box and call it "iShit" and people would be camping out to pay him $300 for it.
  • dylan
    dylan Posts: 453
    edited June 2007
    phuz wrote: »
    No 3G, no Exchange or corporate application support.

Nope. My Motorola Q is still the shizzle.

And I say... Hallelujah! I'm in IT, and no Exchange support is the best 'feature' of this thing.

Now when I get questions, it goes like this: "hey, will the iPho.... NO!!"

The Q's work great, with no hassle.
  • bobman1235
    edited June 2007
    Strong Bad wrote: »

More worthless junk that'll cause more accidents since people will think it's WAY COOL to surf the web while driving.

Laying it on a little thick there aren't ya? Most cell phones, whether you use it or not, already have web access (mine does), and can play music (mine can). This is just a prettier and more sophisticated version, I don't think it's going to "cause more accidents."
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited June 2007
    ohskigod wrote: »
    I'll keep my LG eNV. love my phone, but felt it was pricey at 175. no effing way I'm paying 600 for a cell phone. and we all know first gen anything, including apple, is gonna suck and get improved anyway.

Same here, sticking with my EnV for awhile. It does most of what iPhone does. I've got a 1gb micro card in mine for mp3.
  • POLKOHOLIC
    edited June 2007
    PolkThug wrote: »
    Same here, sticking with my EnV for awhile. It does most of what iPhone does. I've got a 1gb micro card in mine for mp3.

that much huh? :rolleyes:
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited June 2007
    Hell no. I'll keep my cell phone and my PPC, which has had more functionality for the last 4 years than the iPhone claims to have today.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited June 2007
    Yes, I'll eventually buy one, and so will all of the naysayers, as you won't really have a choice if you want a phone. May not be an Apple product you're buying, but you'll be getting similar technology.

There was a time I didn't want or see the need for a cell phone. Now I don't have a LAN line, only my cell phone.

Now you can't get a bare bones cell phone if you tried. All of them have some "extra" features.

It'll be interesting bumping this thread 2 years or so from now.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited June 2007
    EXACLY!!!

People act like the Iphone features are something new or something (with the exception of a full web browser). I've been a PDA/Cell user for years. From Black Berries to Windows mobile. Right now I have a work Trio that connects to my exchange servers and keeps e completely integrated with my work world. I consider myself an extreme techy and the Iphone as a function will do absolutely nothing for me at all.

My prediction is that normal people (non-business) people will buy the thing and love it for a few months as a gadget and then all that will quickly die off as they realize that all those little features are neat little things but you get bored of them quickly. When it comes down to it, all mobile devices fail due to nothing more than screen size. I’ve done just about everything one can do on a PDA and when it comes down to it, you just get sick of the little screen. This class will only be successful when a solution is designed for displays, such as glass’s that one can wear that can give them a true say 800x600 resolution to look at.

I think the Ultra small factor type PC’s (Micro PC’s) are going to end up being a realistic version of the future once (if and only if) they become fast enough and cost effective:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=577&parentCategoryId=16154&XID=O:sony%20micro%20pc:dg_nb_gglsrch
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • POLKOHOLIC
    edited June 2007
    Shizelbs wrote: »
    Hell no. I'll keep my cell phone and my PPC, which has had more functionality for the last 4 years than the iPhone claims to have today.

so let me get this straight: your cell phone and ppc (which are 4 yrs old) had the ability to connect to 802.11b/g, surf the internet in a fully functional browser, had a 'real' high resolution touchscreen, had 8gb of storage, supported quad band gsm, edge, bluetooth, played mp3's and movies, had a 2mp camera, AND was loaded with Mac OSX - all in a 4.5 x 2.4 x 0.46 package weighing in at 4.8 ounces?
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited June 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Laying it on a little thick there aren't ya? Most cell phones, whether you use it or not, already have web access (mine does), and can play music (mine can). This is just a prettier and more sophisticated version, I don't think it's going to "cause more accidents."

Not at all. Yes, my phone can play music and do that V-Cast ****. I make phone calls and send an occasional text message. My phone also cost $100 VS $500-$700 for the iphone. I didn't get the memory card for my phone that they so painstakingly tried to sell me so I could store songs on it.

Because it is prettier and more sophisticated with a larger screen than regular cell phones, people will feel more compelled to use the web browsing and other features while driving.

John
    No excuses!
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited June 2007
    My wife has been waiting for the iPhone. She is going to try to get one today. I've been living with an LG that, until the speaker went out a couple of months back, has been the best phone I've ever had.

I have a digital camera for taking pictures. I have an iPod Shuffle for music on-the-go (at the gym).

Sure I'd love to put all those devices plus the ability to surf the net into one convenient little package (who wouldn't) but it seems like all-in-ones do a lot of things but not one of those things do they do well.

If she doesn't snag one today I'll have her check this thread & the forbes article.

I just worry about the durability of the iPhone, the insane $$$, the mandatory 2 year contract extension, limited/basic warranty and the lack of insurance coverage (that screen breaks your SOL), and the 10% re-stocking fee if you return it (so if it turns out to be a POS you lose money? nice :rolleyes: ).

My $.02
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10