edited June 2007 in The Clubhouse
All I can say is WTF? I'm going to cancel HBO over this! :mad:
Post edited by jmwest1970 on

Comments

• ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited June 2007
    good f#cking riddance!!!!!!!!!

if the guy that made this show was near me, I'd kick him in the frikkin head.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited June 2007
    There's two threads going on here about the same thing.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited June 2007
    That was the worst. Besides the 30 seconds of Phil getting killed and run over and AJ's car blowing up it SUCKED!!!!
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2007
    Yes, this was the possibly the worst episode yet with the exception of the episodes with a really fat gangster dude making out with a **** fireman.

Im with Lou - whoever made this last episode needs to have his **** kicked!

As I said on the other thread - if I had known the finale was going to be this weak, I would never have started watching the show!

David Chase must die!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,065
    edited June 2007
    Fireman32 wrote: »
    That was the worst. Besides the 30 seconds of Phil getting killed and run over and AJ's car blowing up it SUCKED!!!!

You mean I had my 15 minutes of fame!! LOL!! I stopped watching that show a few years back. It got too boring for me.

Phil
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited June 2007
    Hahahaha, I thought it was perfect from the eyes of David Chase... though maybe not for his viewers.

David Chase wrote and directed the finale. The guy also created the series and made it what it is. If you read interviews with the guy... this is exactly what you should have expected. Life goes on....

That being said, saying you'd never watch a show because of its ending is silly. The show was entertaining and thought-provoking every week for the past 7 years. Who gives a **** how it ends? Did it entertain you while it was on?
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2007
    No its not silly at all.

You get into a show and become a dedicated fan and viewer and watch all the show only to have the last 3 of the 6 seasons suck progressively worse each season and then after all kinds of hype and waiting and anticipation by the loyal fan base, you dish out a non event piece of crap like this as a once and for all ending?!?! Its a slap in the face!

This is war I say! Somebody must pay!! :D
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • bobman1235
    edited June 2007
    Meh, it's a matter of taste, like anything else. I thought there were some lulls but I wouldn't say the seasons have sucked progressively more. And some of the eps this season, most notably last weeks, were some of the strongest in the entire series.

I'll admit they're not as superficially entertaining - as someone from an Italian family, I love more than anything watching "gangsters doing gangster ****" to paraphrase Pulp fiction - but eps like this one provide so much more to talk about :D

I recommend reading Alan Sepinwall.
  • JimBRICK
    JimBRICK Posts: 1,543
    edited June 2007
    I've read in some forums they say its been picked up for 3 more seasons
    2 CHANNEL
    Speaker - Klipsch Heresy II
    Under construction
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited June 2007
    I think the blackness at the end was Tony getting hit and not hearing the shot!!! Remember his conversation with Bobby back a few.
  • Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited June 2007
    I think the blackness at the end was Tony getting hit and not hearing the shot!!! Remember his conversation with Bobby back a few.

I thought the blackness at the end was my cable going out:D

Seriously, that weird dude that came in with AJ appeared to be up to no good.
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • hearingimpared
    edited June 2007
    Mike682 wrote: »
    I thought the blackness at the end was my cable going out:D

Seriously, that weird dude that came in with AJ appeared to be up to no good.

That's the guy! He came out of the bathroom right rear of Tony. . . BAM! Never knew what hit him.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited June 2007
    The same thing happened with HBO's Canavale. It was a great series that was left hanging. Apparently the ratings were so, so and they waited a few weeks before canceling the series. As for the story, well it went int limbo. They killed the fan base. Fans were furious, threatening to cancel HBO, blah, blah, life goes on. Soprano's is over. So is Deadwood.

HBO has a notorious reputation of ending their series' badly the Soprano's was no different.
    Carl

• MacLeod
    edited June 2007
    That is a possibility. However I wish they would let us know instead of leaving it up to our imaginations.

I mean if I had an imagination, I would be reading a book and not watching TV! :p

• hearingimpared
    edited June 2007
    Didn't your heart stop for just a few seconds when the screen blacked out?
  • LuSh
    LuSh Posts: 887
    edited June 2007
    I actually liked the ending. Alot of stuff was implied but never happened. I thought it was fairly clear that Tony was about seconds away from getting taken down from the FBI; most of the patrons at the bar looked suspicious. The music and Meadow trying to park the car added tension to the scene. I thought it really ended just when it should have. Everything was spelled out but you didn't get to see it; having read the Tony is shot theory makes alot of sense as well. But i still think its clear that Tony is about to be taken down; if Tony is shot that is the most magnificant ending I've ever seen.
  • LuSh
    LuSh Posts: 887
    edited June 2007
    Actually just talking with some friends via MSN it has come to my understanding that I was totally wrong and Tony was in fact shot. As Meadow enters the restaruant the bell rings; Screen goes black because he never heard the shot.

We'll find out more tommorow but a great ending.
  • hearingimpared
    edited June 2007
    I guess I called that shot!!!!:D
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited June 2007
    I thought the final episode sucked. I also felt that the last couple of seasons were kinda dull compared to the "early years". My $.02
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited June 2007
    i feel a little better about that ending with the theory that he got shoosted and just didn't hear it... i still panicked for a minute, though, when it suddenly went dark!

on the other hand, the series finale for six feet under was, i thought, pretty awesome... i'd have preferred something like that
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited June 2007
    Phil was wacked in front of his family, so the payback for Tony was the same
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited June 2007
    we can theorize all day as to what happenned, and the fact is, we'll never know. thats the reason why Chase did what he did. A nice artsy fartsy ending that gives his audience no closure to the story. his way of saying "thanks for making me rich, now f*ck you!!!!!"

he deserves nothing short of lawn darts thrown at his head. his fan base was not a bunch of deep thinkers, but people who were entertained by the brass nature of how the series started. Raw and Visual, but once the show got famous, the fans didnt mean ****. Its like George Lucas, but waaaay waaaay more blatant.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • bobman1235
    edited June 2007
    I love the attitude that he owes you something. It's his show, his vision, this is how he wanted it to end. Say what you want, but the guy has balls for doing what he wants despite the fact that he KNEW it would piss everyone off. You would have rather he just gave you some nice little storybook ending that was completely off from what he envisioned for his own show? Really?

Here's what I wrote elsewhere about what I think about the ending. Two different thoughts :

The abrupt ending boggles my mind. In a good way. It could mean anything. We've been given a glimpse into Tony's world, where the end can come at any time, from anyone. He lives in fear. Even the most mundane family moment - having dinner with his family in a little diner - is spent in constant fear of being shot. Maybe for us, being shot was the abrupt ending. We are shown what it's like to not know what's going to happen next, like Tony?

The overall message is, to me, that life just goes on. The real world doesn't have fairy tale endings where everything's wrapped up, and Chase tries to give us a view into a "real world." What we're seeing is just a window into these happenings, and whenever we stop watching is insignificant - it just keeps rolling on. So why not make it abrupt? It really drives the point home, to me. You've stopped watching at some arbitrary point, that doesn't mean anything else has stopped. He could have wrapped it up in any of a million different canned ways, and they all would have seemed forced and fake.
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited June 2007
    ohskigod wrote: »
    Its like George Lucas, but waaaay waaaay more blatant.

George Lucas is the Devil.

At least it's open now for Sopranos movies. I thought the ending was kinda deep actually even if it did not give closure.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • JimBRICK
    JimBRICK Posts: 1,543
    edited June 2007
    I found it funny that teh "bathroom" guy came in right behind AJ. Makes you think he followed AJ right to his dad
    2 CHANNEL
    Speaker - Klipsch Heresy II
    Under construction
  • jgido759
    jgido759 Posts: 572
    edited June 2007
    As I've said in another thread, this season ended like every other previous season: the 2 episodes BEFORE the last were intense, followed by a slow ending, complete with the Soprano family gathered around some table eating. :D
    Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support
    group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.
    -Drew Carey

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
    -Unknown

My DVD Collection
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,711
    edited June 2007
    I was pissed and disappointed last night. As it sunk in, I can handle it better, but I'm still disappointed...but then again, when are we ever happy with a series finale? They almost always seem to be a letdown.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • jmwest1970
    jmwest1970 Posts: 846
    edited June 2007
    billbillw wrote: »
    I was pissed and disappointed last night. As it sunk in, I can handle it better, but I'm still disappointed...but then again, when are we ever happy with a series finale? They almost always seem to be a letdown.

Not necessarily. I agree with Neomagus and loved the ending to Six Feet Under. MASH had a great ending, although the Sopranos aren't even in the same league.

The more I think about it I have to go with hearingimpared. It's what T thought would happen when "the end" came. Now, who really knows what "the end" is for the Sopranos? David Chase and his bed buddies!

You want we should find 'em and whack 'em. :D
  • hearingimpared
    edited June 2007
    jmwest1970 wrote: »
    Not necessarily. I agree with Neomagus and loved the ending to Six Feet Under. MASH had a great ending, although the Sopranos aren't even in the same league.

The more I think about it I have to go with hearingimpared. It's what T thought would happen when "the end" came. Now, who really knows what "the end" is for the Sopranos? David Chase and his bed buddies!

You want we should find 'em and whack 'em. :D

He's gotta go!
  • bobman1235
    edited June 2007
    I just watched the finale again, and like it even more. You guys are nuts :)

Lemme ask - if it had ended without the abruptness - just the family sitting down to dinner.... would you have been upset? Is it just the trickery? Because you had to have known, if you have an ounce of intelligence in your head and have actually been paying attention to more than the random violence on the Sopranos, that there was no way all the questions would be answered. So if it had just ended quietly - Phil was dead, the "war" was over, AJ's story line was cleaned up, LOTS of stuff was actually resolved in this episode - would you all have been so up in arms?

Also, have any of you WATCHED M*A*S*H in the past 20 years? That show did not stand the tests of time well. That campy humor is just brutal to watch.