Sopranos Finale

2»

Comments

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited June 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    I just watched the finale again, and like it even more. You guys are nuts :)

Lemme ask - if it had ended without the abruptness - just the family sitting down to dinner.... would you have been upset? Is it just the trickery? Because you had to have known, if you have an ounce of intelligence in your head and have actually been paying attention to more than the random violence on the Sopranos, that there was no way all the questions would be answered. So if it had just ended quietly - Phil was dead, the "war" was over, AJ's story line was cleaned up, LOTS of stuff was actually resolved in this episode - would you all have been so up in arms?

Also, have any of you WATCHED M*A*S*H in the past 20 years? That show did not stand the tests of time well. That campy humor is just brutal to watch.

I'm kind of on the same page with you here. I wasn't overly enthused with the finale but I didn't hate it. I like the slow and gripping tension that was built up over the last two episodes. Last week's had me white knuckled in my chair. . . this week's had me sitting up and waiting and trying to figure out what was up and what was next.

I liked the ending!!! At first I was in the WTF was that category . . . thought the cable went out. When I hit the rewind (DVR) and played it again, I was convinced the black out was the hit on Tony right there in front of his family.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited June 2007
    David Chase did a brief and not very revealing interview here. At least he explains his motive, if not the finale itself.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • bobman1235
    edited June 2007
    Lasareath wrote: »
    I have a client, He was the CEO of MCI, he knows all of the Sopranos guys, he went to school with Pauly Walnuts & Uncle June.

Paulie Walnuts (Tony Sirico) and Uncle June (Dominic Chianese) are 11 years apart in age, so I'd be surprised if he went to school with both of them.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited June 2007
    Tell your buddy from MCI that he should rot in hell.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • bobman1235
    edited June 2007
    Just read this, makes me want to lean toward the "Tony was shot" theory more than the "Life goes on" theory... but I'm still undecided...
    There was another ending, Matt "We're going to win this thing" Servitto told reporters. The last he knew, the scene in Holsten's diner — which was shot in the real life Holsten’s out in Bloomfield, New Jersey — went on a little longer and featured one of the menacing figures in the diner dominating the camera. "The scene cut as the guy was advancing towards him, as if he was about to shoot Tony. It was, I think, less ambiguous that Tony was going to get shot."
  • hearingimpared
    edited June 2007
    dorokusai wrote: »
    Tell your buddy from MCI that he should rot in hell.

I agree with that one, I lost hundreds of thousands on the MCI/Worldcom stock slaughter!!!
  • LuSh
    LuSh Posts: 887
    edited June 2007
    After three day's of thinking about it I've come to the conclusion that the end is actually a double cross. The ONLY strong evidence is that Tony and Bobby did have a converstation about not seeing it coming; everything else are just clues to make peoples heads spin all day. It's as if Chase is giving the people a bone to play with and making up clues all day. The fact is the memebers only person wasn't in the episode that had Silvio shot, the way people all looked menacing because Tony is plagued by this now; having to look over both shoulders. There is more evidence to support Tony didn't get shot then did. Phil was dead, very few people wanted him dead and the FBI wanted to protect him so they could steal the glory and lock him up for years. The end song was the biggest clue...keep believing...the show ended as randomly as it started.

Chase the creator put all those tiny lil fragments into the last scene to keep peoples imagination working and to give some insight as to what Tony thinks and feels.

Unless a movie comes out in two years (and it will) that starts off with Tony in the hospital after being shot I'm content that Tony is alive with his family ready to go to war with the FEDS. Paulie will overtake the business. The members only jacket was there to please viewers who didn't like Chases idea of an ending and could go on thinking Tony actually got it. Which in a sick way will make people feel better about the ending.
  • Maurice
    Maurice Posts: 517
    edited June 2007
    Loved the show, but I'm over it!:cool:
    Everytime I think I'm out, THEY PULL ME BACK IN!!!!!!

Polk 70's,40,30's
    Velo DLS 3500 Sub
    JVC 61" HD-ILA
    Sony DA4ES AVR
    Oppo 981 DVD
    Sony CDP-CX235 CD
    Signal Bi-wires
    AR ProII IC's
  • icky4
    icky4 Posts: 27
    edited June 2007
    I did love the show until the ending. It seems like they are just leaving it open for a movie. Lame! It is all the fans that made the show so popular, and I do feel like the creator owes something to the fans. This ending just didnt do it for me.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2007
    I read somewhere today that the end was Tony being shot.

The tip offs were - The flashback of him and Bobby talking about not hearing or seeing anything when youre shot.

- The guy in the Members Only jacket and the title of the episode where Tony got shot by Jr (or the 2 black guys I cant remember which) was titled "Members Only".

- The Members Only guy was Phil's cousin.

- The 2 black guys that were over by the jukebox were the guys that tried to kill Tony in the 1st season.

This wasnt an official release but it still sounds interesting.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited June 2007
    Thank you Giganticus!....everyone in that room had a connection.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • hearingimpared
    edited June 2007
    MacLeod wrote: »
    - The 2 black guys that were over by the jukebox were the guys that tried to kill Tony in the 1st season.

If I remember correctly one of those two guys was shot in the head and killed and I can't remember what happened to the other.
  • bobman1235
    edited June 2007
    MacLeod wrote: »
    I read somewhere today that the end was Tony being shot.

The tip offs were - The flashback of him and Bobby talking about not hearing or seeing anything when youre shot.

- The guy in the Members Only jacket and the title of the episode where Tony got shot by Jr (or the 2 black guys I cant remember which) was titled "Members Only".

- The Members Only guy was Phil's cousin.

This wasnt an official release but it still sounds interesting.

I liked this theory too when I heard it, but it's been pretty much completely debunked.

- The guy who played Members Only was actually an employee of the diner they were at (in real life). There's an interview with him floating around the interwebs (I can't find it, but it exists). He had never been on the Sopranos before.

- Tony shot and killed at least one of the black kids who tried to kill him in the first season.

It doesn't rule out that the ending was Tony being shot, but the people in the diner were, as far as I can tell, complete strangers.

Luckily, the show wasn't on a major network, or the ending may have been worse. :D
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited June 2007
    This goes along with some of the last few posts:
    Tony Soprano was killed....
    >>
    >>In fact, the ending was genius if you've paid attention to the show or
    are
    >>just a fan of well developed well thought out plots that all tie
    together
    >>and have the memory of a champ to remember it all the ending was
    simple,
    >>he
    >>got killed, but let me tell y'all why and explain in detail... There
    was 4
    >>people in the room total who had a reason to kill tony.....
    >>
    >>The two black guys were paid before to kill Tony when his mother put a
    hit
    >>out on him but he was clipped in the ear in Season One.
    >>
    >>The trucker at the booth near Tony was the brother of a Trucker,
    >>Christopher killed in DVD player robbery. We last saw the brother when
    he
    >>went to identify his dead brother's body.
    >>
    >>And lastly, from the earlier seasons, the Italian man who was sitting
    at
    >>the counter stool, who the camera kept focusing in on, is Nikki
    Leotardo,
    >>Phil Leotardos nephew. He was in one of the early season episodes
    where
    >>Phil and Tony have a sit down....
    >>
    >>Here is where the genius comes in....
    >>
    >>When Tony walks into the Holston's, you see the camera focus on him,
    then
    >>it switches to his perspective, and you see him looking @ the booth
    hes
    >>gonna sit at...
    >>
    >>Then the camera switches back to Tony's face, then it once again
    >>switches to his perspective, and it shows him looking @ the door and
    >>looking @ the people come in..... Everytime the door opens the chimes
    >>sound.......
    >>
    >>Carmela walks in, Chimes.
    >>AJ walks in, Chimes.
    >>
    >>This all happens while Meadow is parallel parking, still trying to get

>>inside the restaurant....
    >>
    >>At this point the camera switches back Nikki Leotardo who goes in the
    >>bathroom...
    >>
    >>Then it goes to a scene where Meadow finally parks and starts running
    into
    >>the diner...
    >>
    >>The door is about to open, Tony looks up...
    >>
    >>and No Chimes...
    >>
    >>No Music...
    >>
    >>Everything just goes black...
    >>
    >>In one of the early episodes of the Sopranos, Tonys is talking with
    Bobby
    >>about what it must feel like to die.
    >>
    >>Bobby says, "at the end, you probably dont hear anything, everything
    just
    >>goes black!"
    >>
    >>This idea was revisited in the second to last episode during the last
    >>seconds of it, when Tony is about to go to sleep and he flashes
    back
    >>to the memory of him and Bobby on the boat... "You probably dont hear
    >>anything everything just goes black"
    >>
    >>So in the end, the Journey song was playing, the chimes on the door
    >>sounded but when Meadow came in, someone killed Tony.
    >>
    >>This is the reason you didn't hear or see **** when he died.... it was

>>from
    >>his perspective... and everything went black, then the credits.
    >>
    >>Bada Bing!!

This email was sent to you by Reuters, the global news and information
    company.
    To find out more about Reuters visit www.about.reuters.com
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • bobman1235
    edited June 2007
    The first part of that, explaining the characters in the restaurant, is provably untrue, as I said directly above your post. I dont' know how much credence you can put in the rest of it given that fact. The people in the restaurant are not who he says they are; maybe they're there to make you THINK that's who they are, for paranoia reasons, but they CAN'T actually be those people.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited June 2007
    I would imagine the producers ended the show like this purposely because they knew it was gonna piss lots of folks off and we'd be talking about it and trying to figure it out for weeks. Sorta like celebrities -- as long as people are talking about them, for better or for worse, that's what counts.

BTW -- Tony didn't get whacked. If you didn't see it, you can't say it happened. There was simply no more story to tell, so it faded to black, just like a song when all of the lyrics have been sung...
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • hearingimpared
    edited June 2007
    Early B. wrote: »
    so it faded to black, .

EB from where I was sitting that was not a fade to black, it was STOP to black. If it were "fade to black" a "Tony was hit" theory would have been out of the question.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited June 2007
    EB from where I was sitting that was not a fade to black, it was STOP to black. If it were "fade to black" a "Tony was hit" theory would have been out of the question.

Semantics.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • hearingimpared
    edited June 2007
    Early B. wrote: »
    Semantics.

Ya think?
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2007
    I think the reality is they wanted to leave the door open for a movie so now with this stupid finale, they can come out with a movie and start off from anywhere they want.

And when they do, we should start a coalition NOT to go see it! :D
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited June 2007
    Local article says Gandolfini doesn't even know what happened to Tony

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/tv/am-sopranos0615,0,1913319.story?coll=ny-entertainment-headlines
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29