What would you do with 30K?

jdhdiggs
jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
edited June 2007 in The Clubhouse
I'm curious how people in this forum would handle an unexpected windfall.

Would you:

Buy a new rig?
Buy a car?
Make another big purchase (Boat, vacation home, etc...)?
Pay off debts?
Invest?
Give it to charity?
Hide it under the matress?
Something else?
There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
Post edited by jdhdiggs on

Comments

• zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited May 2007
    Hookers and blow.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • jdhdiggs
    edited May 2007
    That would be under the "other" catagory... Would your wife participate though, that's the real question....
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited May 2007
    are you gonna share the loot with us, jdhiggs? why pick $30k if it is hypothetical? why not more?

ok, ok, I would use it to pay off debt, no hookers, just a few trip to mama-san...
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited May 2007
    We had a big windfall a couple of yrs ago, between my wife getting an inheritance, and us selling a piece of property at 4x what we paid for it.

We paid cash for a new F-150, since I average 10+ yrs on my vehicles
    We paid off some credit cards
    We did a complete kitchen remodel
    My wife bought a 50" plasma (completely her decision)

With 30K, we would've done everything else except the truck. We made it stretch by me doing all the work on the remodel.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited May 2007
    PM on the way! We'll discuss the transfer...
  • jdhdiggs
    edited May 2007
    $30K was picked because it's a realistic amount that someone might get unexpectedly (great investment, dead aunt you met when you were 4, etc..). Something like $2K is too small to do anything cool with and $100K is borderline life changing. I wanted an amount that was large enough to really have some options but not so large that it would change your life. I'm testing out a theory... Just need to filter out the jokers.... ;)
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited May 2007
    Rivvrat, sounds like you made some wise (and fun) purchases.

I think you should (in order): pay off any and all debt, remodeling current home / or move to bigger home, max out your 401K ($15.5K), invest in a combo of stocks / bonds / mutual funds, and maybe with the last $500 - $1000, buy some audio equipment that you know you can resell for the same or more down the road.

If you're pretty well set in all of those areas, buy some land.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • jdhdiggs
    edited May 2007
    So far it looks like Y'all are smart, but no fun....
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited May 2007
    MikeC78 wrote: »
    PM on the way! We'll discuss the transfer...

LOL, Sorry Mike, I already called dibs in a PM :D
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited May 2007
    We just bought a 30 yr old ranch, but it needs new windows and a kitchen remodel. The 30k would take care of it without me having to do any of the work.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited May 2007
    Honestly... I'd probably make some attempt to invest it. At least the portion not spent on hookers and blow.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited May 2007
    Jd, are you having money problems again? Cant figure out how to spend it?
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • NeilGabriel
    NeilGabriel Posts: 1,487
    edited May 2007
    pay my first and second quarter taxes so I don't have to worry about going to jail.....hmmm...so what kind of rig would work in a jail cell?
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited May 2007
    I would buy a house so I could stop paying rent. We found a house last fall that we really love, but I could not get financing. 30K would be a nice down payment(3/4 of the price of the house). The house is still on the market. It was built in the early 1900's, it's 2800 sq.ft. hardwood floors through out most of the house. There is some cracking in the plaster due to the house settling, one of the bathroom floors needs to be replaced, the roof needs to be re-shingled. Other than that the place isn't in bad shape. I'd want to do a little updating, new cupboards in the kitchen, switch the boiler over from electric to either corn, or wood pellets, and a few other little things(HT room, 2ch room, toy room for the boys.) Oh well I can dream right.
  • MikeC78
    edited May 2007
    Maybe add a VCR to the mix?:D ;)
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2007
    Debt, period.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited May 2007
    Donate to charity.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited May 2007
    30k is 3/4 the price of a house?? Where is it, under the ocean?
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited May 2007
    Most of my money has been spent on Bikes, booze and broads.
    The rest I just wasted.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited May 2007
    Donate to the government???
    I already do that every day.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • jdhdiggs
    edited May 2007
    jakelm wrote: »
    Jd, are you having money problems again? Cant figure out how to spend it?

Hee hee, I wish I had enough coming in that I didn't know how to spend it all.

My position: Pay off all dept higher than 15%, then max out 401K, then Roth IRA, then pay off other debt higher than 8%, then invest in open market and keep $2K around for a vacation or something else fun.
  • jdhdiggs
    edited May 2007
    Skynut wrote: »
    Donate to the government???
    I already do that every day.

That was left in there for those folks who want to pay their fair share...
  • MikeC78
    edited May 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    30k is 3/4 the price of a house?? Where is it, under the ocean?

Maybe Tijuana?:confused: Really, where the heck can you buy a house that cheap??
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,183
    edited May 2007
    I voted other. If I had an extra 30k laying around, I would stick it in the bank and just go about my bussiness. I like having money in the bank for if something goes wrong, I have backup.
    Years and years ago I lived paycheck to paycheck, I don't and haven't in years. I like to keep money around me for unexpected things or just life you know??? I'm not big into blowing money. I pick and choose what I buy and it's not a matter of having it or not, it's about if it's the right thing to do.
    Theres many things in life I wanna do, 30k more would be nice but It's not like having a few million where is you spent a few hundred grand it wouldn't matter much.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited May 2007
    I'd invest in either stocks or real estate in Mexico. I'm doing borderline daytrading right now but might liquidate my funds to invest in beach front over in Puerto Vallarta. Big to medium returns without the risks of stock market, well not as great risks anyways.
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited May 2007
    invest in beach front over in Puerto Vallarta.

I think I'd look at Puerto Penasco instead. The Mexican gov is pushing this place to be the next big thing.

I've been thinking about it, I'm just having a hard time getting Mrs Rat to play along.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited May 2007
    jdhdiggs wrote: »
    ... Just need to filter out the jokers.... ;)

I see no joka nor hooka!
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited May 2007
    Investing in Mexico = little to no risk?!?

I mean, yeah, it would be a great idea, but with that country's shady infrastructure, **** goverment, etc., I'd have trouble putting much of my money down there. . . but, that's just me.

There are ways to keep your money liquid and still get a decent return. I have quite a bit of my non-trading money in Fidelity's money market and get a good return. It's about as liquid as a checking account, too.

If I did put money in Mexico, I would go with Cabo. That place is awesome!
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited May 2007
    Pay off my credit cards and use the rest for a down payment on a new car. I'd love to have a new EVO in the driveway for a daily driver.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited May 2007
    I bought a house I still want to do stuff to. new windws, a dormer on the second floor perhaps. most of it would go to the house,

maybe the rest on a down payment for a car if I felt like trading mine in.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites