Multi Channel Music

Options
jmasterj
jmasterj Posts: 327
edited November 2002 in Music & Movies
OK let's talk Multi-channel music. Whats the best SACD/ DVD-Audio
disc you've heard? Whats the worst? and Why?
JmasterJ Polk to the Death
Post edited by jmasterj on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2002
    Options
    multi-channel, shmulti-channel.......good old 2.0 (that's stereo is the way to go)

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited September 2002
    Options
    I'm with Russman....2 channel stereo for me please...:D
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Ok, let's talk multi-channel....Worst? All of it! It's unnatural and will quickly go the way of the "Quadraphonic" format. TWO CHANNEL FOREVER!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Well, I've got the Underworld Live! DVD and it sounds pretty sweet. They've got some of the reverb and crowd in the rear channels, which gives you more of a feeling of being there. From what I've heard, that's the better one since it was recorded with the intention of being in 5.1.
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited September 2002
    Options
    For a great demo of your systems multi-channel capabilities you have got to go out and pick up The Blue Man Group DVD-A!

***Warning***
    Extreme Bass/Sub WorkOut! Find something to hang on to!!
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited September 2002
    Options
    i got the cd, blue man group, not the dvd
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • jmasterj
    edited September 2002
    Options
    joe,

wait a second, "smell it before you eat it"sounds good to me! I don't
    know about that "damn; just eat it" I'm scared of that!
  • joe logston
    edited September 2002
    Options
    dont eat it, the buffetts in vegas, where i live, you allmost have to smell it before you eat it
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

• PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited September 2002
    Options
    here we go again...when or will this "****" going to end???:lol:
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited September 2002
    Options
    multi channel audio is the only way to go. two channel is fine for your turner, but that's about it. Listen to a well produced DVD-audio disc and you'll never go back. some of the better ones i've bought are Fleetwood Mac - Rumors, Queen - A night at the Opera, Barenaked Ladies - Maroon, BB King with Eric Clapton, Foreigner 4, and a few others. I"ve also purchased some not so good ones...
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • nascarmann
    edited September 2002
    Options
    some of the better ones i've bought are Fleetwood Mac - Rumors,

WOW.....one of the BEST 2 channel records IMO there is.......
  • danger boy
    edited September 2002
    Options
    nascarmann,
    i think Rumors from Fleetwood Mac sounds great in two channel or multichannel. it's just a great piece of work.
    I still prefer 6 channel audio over two channel. but very little has been released that's good anyway in multichannel. :D
  • nascarmann
    edited September 2002
    Options
    i think Rumors from Fleetwood Mac sounds great in two channel

This is one of the best example's of what a stereo can do....or can't do.....;)
  • mhw58
    mhw58 Posts: 359
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Nascarman,
    What tracks on Rumours have the best SDA imaging in your
    opinion?
    Mike
    Fronts: SDA1C's
    Rears: SDA2's
    Center:CS400i
    Sub: PSW505
  • nascarmann
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Track 10.....Oh Daddy;)
  • jdavy
    jdavy Posts: 380
    edited October 2002
    Options
    I agree with those who like 2 channel audio best. The Sony SACD demo disk is great. DTS audio is not bad as well. ?, How do you get great true stereo imaging with multi channel audio? Do you plan to be in the center of the stage with the band all arround you?
  • begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited October 2002
    Options
    While I prefer more 2 channel music then multi-channel, I'm not against it.
    I think some of us should try to approach multi-channel music as a "SURROUND EXPERIENCE" rather then a "you are sitting in the middle of the band playing all around you which sucks because in real life it may never happen and if it did, it would acoustically sound awful !" ;)
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • danger boy
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Muliti channel music takes some getting use to that's for sure. I sometimes think the sound is "to hollow" meaing it's so spread out that it almost seems at times you are listening to the music in a large hall or church.
    I still like the surround seperation but it does take some getting use to is all i can say.
  • danger boy
    edited October 2002
    Options
    a good read for anyone interested in multi channel sound

Groups Look to Replace Compact Discs
  • jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Marvin Gaye, DTS= Not bad considering the old recordings

AL Green, DTS,DD,SACD= Killer mixing with solid vocals.

Boyz II Men,DTS= Very solid, channel steering is very cool with all seperate voices comming from each channel.

Sting, Ten summoner's Tales,DTS=Sweet vocal steering with a very solid instrument placement.

DTS is not a bad format it just adds a little something extra to the music. DTS disks have been discontinued in allot of the area shops around here, due to slow sales. I do think 2CH is still better.
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited October 2002
    Options
  • joe logston
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by danger boy
    nascarmann,
    i think Rumors from Fleetwood Mac sounds great in two channel or multichannel. it's just a great piece of work.
    I still prefer 6 channel audio over two channel. but very little has been released that's good anyway in multichannel. :D

they have improved on the sound quiaty from the origanal cd fleetwood mac recording its still a great performamce.the multi-channel is not the best they can improve.

on two channel ver. multi-channel i use both it depens on how the software is recorded some times it sounds better in multi channel than 2-channel and viceaversa
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Chris Botti - Night Sesions An Excellant Multi-channel SACD

Roger Waters - In the Flesh - Live CCRRAAPP!!
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • jmasterj
    edited October 2002
    Options
    OK Frank,

I'll get Chris Botti I like that smooth jazz.
  • palebluedot
    palebluedot Posts: 18
    edited November 2002
    Options
    I went for DVD-Audio over SACD. I'm not sure that was the best choice, but I've never been a huge proponent of Sony. From what I've seen, most DVD-A's have a choice between 2-ch and 5.1-ch audio so when it comes to listening preference, both sides should be happy. It is the increased clarity in these discs that make them worth while.

Anyway, I've purchased three DVD-A's so far: Metallica (yes, I'm an 80's child), The Corrs: In Blue, and Alanis Morrissette: Under Rug Swept.

All of them sound so life-like compared to the regular CDs. Two-channel to two-channel comparisons blow me away between the two formats.

I remember back in the 90's listening to Metallica's Black Album using the 4-ch Dolby Surround option on my old Sansui receiver and thinking how horrible surround sound was. I listen to the same album today in DVD-A surround and am amazed. This DVD-A is a joy to listen to.

The Corrs DVD-A's surround mix is another story. I really think we need a set of standards on how 5.1 music is mixed. This DVD-A has no sophistication to it. The bouncy use of surrounds almost sounds like a joke. It sounds childish and gives you no semblance of where you are compared to the musicians.

Alanis's DVD-A is my favorite of the three. It sounds as if she is sitting right in front of me giving a private concert. A very personal mix that never loses it's focus on where you are in the room with her. You can really hear the power in her voice come through. A perfect disc for those with a killer center channel.
  • danger boy
    edited November 2002
    Options
    thank you Palebluedot for helping to explain what i've been telling people all along about DVD-a. you make a fair and valuable judgement on the sound quality and some of the pros and cons of multichannel audio. If you're not familiar there is a ongoing debate in here about which is better or I should say. which one people prefer... either multichannel or 2 channel stereo. it seems to be split close to 50/50.

I do not have any of the three DVD-a discs you mentioned. I do have a few I think are pretty good mixes though. I like the Eagles - Hotel California, Fleetwood Mac - Rumours, Barenaked Ladies - Maroon, and Crowded House. oh yeah Foreigner 4 is great too. oh and Queen a night at the opera is also a good one. can't wait for more music to come on for DVD-a. I agree with you on Sony. I don't really care for their stuff. I've only owned a Sony cassette recorder and a car cd player.. and neither one lasted more then two years before it started having major problems.
  • begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Personally, I was disappointed with the Alanis Morisettte dvd-a. There wasn't much use of discrete sounds or a surround mix. The rear channels were mainly used for ambience effects.
    I might as well have bought the normal cd and played it in pro-logic II music mode.
    Maybe that's the problem with multi-channel music, everyone has a different preference on how they would like to hear a recording mixed. So far the best I've heard regarding a surround experience is Lucky Man by Emerson Lake and Palmer.
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited November 2002
    Options
    they are still trying to figure out what 2 do with it.........I believe.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • palebluedot
    palebluedot Posts: 18
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Exactly, begbie. Multichannel audio brings a whole new problem in preferences. It's not just a matter of choosing a DSP mode anymore. Someone else is making significant acousitc decisions in the music we listen to...on a much more dimensional level.

You say you disliked the lack of rear channels while I found that highly attractive. My personal preference is to have 80-90% of my sound experience coming at me from the front. I like the subtleness of my surrounds to add dimension. Especially when it comes to vocals in music. I'm really not a big fan of vocals coming from the surrounds, but there are exceptions.

I really liked hearing Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody and The Eagles Seven Bridges road mixes from DVD. And, Danger Boy, I speak of The Eagles Hell Freezes Over DVD, I have yet to purchase Hotel California on DVD-A. I am interested in it tho, could you tell me a little about the mix?
  • jmasterj
    edited November 2002
    Options
    FrankZ,

Just wanted to let you know I got CHRIS BOTTI "Night Sessions"
    in a word "WOW" It's the nicest Multi-Channel SACD I have so far.
    Here's something else you might want to check out It's not hi- res but the recording quality is first rate. MAYSA "Out of the Blue" give
    it a listen.