Multi Channel Music

2»

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited November 2002
    jmasterj,
    Glad you like it! You might want to check out "The very best of Chris Botti" I have not been able to find it in SACD but this 2 channel CD is fantastic as well! Track #9 has some nice vocals from Eddie Brickell, But the best cut on the disk is #10 "The way Home"
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • Frank Z
    edited November 2002
    jmasterj,
    You've got mail!
  • jmasterj
    jmasterj Posts: 327
    edited November 2002
    Frank Z,
    You've got mail too!
    JmasterJ Polk to the Death
  • hsmith
    hsmith Posts: 6
    edited November 2002
    The only problem with DVD-audio is not enough music on the format yet.
    The Eagles Hotel California,Fleetwood Mac Rumours.B.B King & E.C. Riding with the King are my best so far but still looking for other disks.

I for one love the format and DTS DVD concerts also,why not have music elements coming from more speakers.
    More may not always be better, but sometimes I think it is (depends on the mix)
  • Frank Z
    edited November 2002
    jmasterj
    Did you get the email? That was the first time I ever sent an email with a song attached, I hope it worked.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited November 2002
    Originally posted by hsmith
    The only problem with DVD-audio is not enough music on the format yet.
    The Eagles Hotel California,Fleetwood Mac Rumours.B.B King & E.C. Riding with the King are my best so far but still looking for other disks.

I for one love the format and DTS DVD concerts also,why not have music elements coming from more speakers.
    More may not always be better, but sometimes I think it is (depends on the mix)

hsmith, you have the same exact dvd audio discs that i have. they are about the best of the lot that i could find. I've also head that one by Steve Stevens who used to be Billy Idols guitar player is suppose to sound really good. It's called something like Flamenco . i can't find it anywhere here in my town. so i'll prob order it online. :D
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • palebluedot
    palebluedot Posts: 18
    edited November 2002
    I think DVD-A, SACD, and DTS-Audio are going to be hard sells to the general public presently. I'd like to see recording studios take the daring attempt at either reducing the price of these discs bellow standard audio cds or for new music, releasing Hi-Res versions before the standard version is available.

But even in that thinking, there are way too many hurdles to overcome. Too high a percentage of the population 1) isn't going to have the equipment to play these discs, 2) doesn't care about or like multichannel surround mixes, 3) can't tell the difference between the clarity of an MP3 on a boom box to a DVD-A on a 5.1 full range speaker setup, 4) doesn't have the vocabulary to understand why it's better, and 5) most importantly can't justify the cost.

If it already sounds good, does it really need to sound better? And are they really willing to re-purchase hundreds of albums even if they were all available?

I really fear this will stay an audio enthusiast medium. Sort of like gold discs and quad recordings. Think of how far away the movie studios are from releasing everything on VHS to DVD. The music industry has fathoms more work ahead of them.

As far as sound quality goes, I think the popularity of MP3s has proven where the mass population stands on quality of recordings. "Sounds good enough to me," is a very typical response to those who embrace the format.

I think demographically, teenagers are the biggest buyers of music. Sure they don't have bills or rent, etc to worry about so their money is spent pretty superflously. But most teenagers I know would rather spend their money on a ton of CDs vs a DVD-Audio capable player ($200+). Let alone the 6-channel capable receiver ($300+) and 6 speakers ($$$). Most teenagers also spend at a higher frequency and are poor savers so they tend not to spend in large sums of money. And unless they go with SACD, they can't take their discs over to their friend's homes to party with or cruise the streets with them in their car. Which if you ask most teenagers, you don't only buy music for yourself, you buy it to show off to your friends...wherever your friends may be.

Since I happen to love the new formats, I hope I am wrong about much of this, but for the time being I fear I'm not far off the mark.

Any comments?

PBD
    My Home Theatre
    http://www.dvdfile.com/interactive/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24525
  • NDTA
    NDTA Posts: 83
    edited November 2002
    with the new wave of new DVD players which offer to play both SACD and DVD-A and more reasonable price plus the lower price on new SACD and DVD-A labels now, I think consumers will have more interest in buying these multi channels discs.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited November 2002
    Originally posted by palebluedot
    I think DVD-A, SACD, and DTS-Audio are going to be hard sells to the general public presently. I'd like to see recording studios take the daring attempt at either reducing the price of these discs bellow standard audio cds or for new music, releasing Hi-Res versions before the standard version is available.

But even in that thinking, there are way too many hurdles to overcome. Too high a percentage of the population 1) isn't going to have the equipment to play these discs, 2) doesn't care about or like multichannel surround mixes, 3) can't tell the difference between the clarity of an MP3 on a boom box to a DVD-A on a 5.1 full range speaker setup, 4) doesn't have the vocabulary to understand why it's better, and 5) most importantly can't justify the cost.

If it already sounds good, does it really need to sound better? And are they really willing to re-purchase hundreds of albums even if they were all available?

I really fear this will stay an audio enthusiast medium. Sort of like gold discs and quad recordings. Think of how far away the movie studios are from releasing everything on VHS to DVD. The music industry has fathoms more work ahead of them.

As far as sound quality goes, I think the popularity of MP3s has proven where the mass population stands on quality of recordings. "Sounds good enough to me," is a very typical response to those who embrace the format.

I think demographically, teenagers are the biggest buyers of music. Sure they don't have bills or rent, etc to worry about so their money is spent pretty superflously. But most teenagers I know would rather spend their money on a ton of CDs vs a DVD-Audio capable player ($200+). Let alone the 6-channel capable receiver ($300+) and 6 speakers ($$$). Most teenagers also spend at a higher frequency and are poor savers so they tend not to spend in large sums of money. And unless they go with SACD, they can't take their discs over to their friend's homes to party with or cruise the streets with them in their car. Which if you ask most teenagers, you don't only buy music for yourself, you buy it to show off to your friends...wherever your friends may be.

Since I happen to love the new formats, I hope I am wrong about much of this, but for the time being I fear I'm not far off the mark.

Any comments?

PBD

My Home Theatre
    http://www.dvdfile.com/interactive/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24525

PBD, you are right on, on a lot of points here in your observations.
    I don't think it's the cost of the DVD-audio or SACD's themselves that are keeping people away from moving towards multichannel audio. I think it's the fact that you need to purchase additional hardware to be able to take full advantage of these high res music discs.

That plus the multichannel backers have done a horrible job of rolling out and promoting their formats to the general public. Maybe they are indeed just looking to audiophiles to keep these new formats alive. That would be hard to do, if not impossible. Very few products can succeed on a niche market by themselves. It take heavy promtion and availability to really make it marketable to everyone.

Most people including the general public would agree that multichannel audio has some possibilities and i think some of them woule be impressed or at least intrigued enough to check it out. But because of the extra $$ needed to be able to intregrate it into their home music systems..... then they would probably not get into it.

I don't know anything at all about MP3's. Other than you download it from the net.. onto your computer or PDA or whatever.. but i hear the quality is very bad. Is this true? IF so.. i have no interest in it whatsoever. I'm looking for the highest quailty sound I can get.

I hope that these new multichannel formats don't die out in the next few years.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • palebluedot
    palebluedot Posts: 18
    edited November 2002
    Well, only time will tell. I was a bit young when they first became popular to have formitable opionions on the subject, but I'm sure much of the same debate came about when cassettes took over LP's, and CD's took over cassettes. But in those cases, I think there was a much more 'practical' advantage. Cassettes were significantly smaller and portable than LP's were or Reel-To-Reel for that matter.

CD's did sound better than cassettes, but I think the big advantage CDs had over tapes was the ability to jump anywhere on the album within seconds vs. fast forwarding or rewinding like crazy...flipping tapes, etc. CDs also worked fairly well with Legacy products since you could easily copy a CD to a cassette tape and play it in your legacy equipment. DVD-A and SACD are not so friendly in this manor. Yes, as I noted in another thread, people are ripping DVD-A's and SACDs and posting them to the web, trading them in DTS wave files like others do with MP3's, etc. But such transformations aren't end-user friendly or easily accessable. To my knowledge, you can't hook up a CD Burner to a DVD-Audio player and make your own CDs.

With the MPAA screaming bloody murder over digital copyright protection, I don't see such things coming to be anytime soon. But I think it would help people embrace the product. I would love to buy my DVD-Audio verson of an artist, put it in my computer and copy it to CD-Audio to play in my car...yes, probably in 2.0 stereo, but at least I wouldn't need to buy the standard audio CD for that purpose, or to put in my CD Walkman.

As I said with the teenager analogy, this portability problem not only adds hurdles, but to overcome them, you must purchase even more equipment that isn't readily available. Where's the entourage of Automobile DVD-A players, and SACD Walkmans, or DTS Boom boxes. Do people really only want to listen to their music in one place?

I don't...but I'm different. A select few who are willing to put up with the restrictions to have that immaculate audio experience.

And, NTDA, I agree more customers will like the fact that SACD/DVD-A is being integrated, but I feel that will be more audio enthusiasts, who aren't early adopters, will take up the format. Not the general population.

PBD
    My Home Theatre
    http://www.dvdfile.com/interactive/...&threadid=24525