is this buyer on eBay trying to screw me over?

nadams
nadams Posts: 5,877
edited May 2007 in The Clubhouse
I sold my Profile AP1000m amp on eBay - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320111604074&sspagename=ADME:B:AAQ:US:1

The winning bidder just sent me this eBay message-

"I got the amp today but when I installed it there seems to be no out put from the amp. There is sound but really really low. My stock stereo is lowder than this alone without an amp. I called profile to verify the problem and they told me the amp was defected. I have been installing car stereos professionally for 2 years now and from what I see is that this amp has a clipped signal which means proper output level for the speakers for sound is lost."

Sounds like he's trying to BS it to get his money back but keep the amp to me. I sent him this reply-

"The amp worked perfectly when it left here. Please check your connections and try again. If you cannot get it to work, we will arrange return shipping so that I can test it."

He already posted positive feedback.... and the money is already out of my paypal account.
Ludicrous gibs!
Post edited by nadams on

Comments

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,411
    edited May 2007
    scam
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited May 2007
    Keep all correspondence and watch for a chargeback attempt. I've ben screwed over like this before. If it worked when it left, he should have a claim with the shipping company.
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited May 2007
    Maybe he didn't install it properly?
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited May 2007
    let me guess he worked for best buy for two years muhahaha Professionally installed Yea !
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited May 2007
    In my opinion, most times, if you have to ask "is this person trying to screw me", the answer is inevitably "yup."
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited May 2007
    I think the buyer is defected.....................
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited May 2007
    I had some moron try to tell me his package never arrived last week....Too bad I still had the UPS TRACKING NUMBER......What a moron! That **** is trying to screw you over man.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited May 2007
    Don't know. I had a perfectly good working amp in one car, removed it and later put in another and it didn't work. I do know what I'm doing, it just happened to die then.

From my "Professional" point of view I would say:
    Get it back and take a look at it. If he hooked it up wrong chances are you will see burnt components. If it looks fine but doesn't work I'd say it probably became defective. I say this because most amps have pretty good protection against speaker wiring problems. If he messed it up it was probably from connecting power in reverse. You will see that.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited May 2007
    madmax wrote: »
    Don't know. I had a perfectly good working amp in one car, removed it and later put in another and it didn't work. I do know what I'm doing, it just happened to die then.

From my "Professional" point of view I would say:
    Get it back and take a look at it. If he hooked it up wrong chances are you will see burnt components. If it looks fine but doesn't work I'd say it probably became defective. I say this because most amps have pretty good protection against speaker wiring problems. If he messed it up it was probably from connecting power in reverse. You will see that.
    madmax

This is what I was thinking when I told him I'd arrange return shipping to test it. But he's not getting his money back until I get the amp and find that it's defective and not burnt. I offered no warranty on the amp, because there's no warranty left on the amp. If it actually took a **** with no evidence of misuse, I'll refund his money and just have to eat it, I guess.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • madmax
    edited May 2007
    nadams wrote: »
    If it actually took a **** with no evidence of misuse, I'll refund his money and just have to eat it, I guess.

Thats always up to each seller on what he wants to do. I always try to run ebay sales like an audio shop would but the options run from blindly giving the money back to splitting the cost to doing nothing at all. I've run into all three as a buyer.
    madmax

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2007
    Make sure it is the actual amp you sent out. I've had a buyer try to pull the old 'switcheroo' on me a couple years ago, with a nearly identical, but non working unit.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited May 2007
    I think the buyer is stuck with the amp. He's got it. You've got the money. You offered no guarantee in the ad. You provided an amp exactly as described.

This is just the risk of buying stuff off e-bay without a formal return policy.
    I don't think you need to do anything more as a seller.
  • madmax
    edited May 2007
    Its a good idea to state exactly what you are going to do under exactly what circumstances up front. The buyer will feel more at ease if it really isn't his fault. I once dealt with a speaker seller who wouldn't give me any specifics on return of some damaged speakers. I felt that if I sent them back to him I would loose the speakers AND the money. He would not tell me what was going to happen. He kept saying only that he would decide after he saw them. It caused a lot of grief.
    madmax

• WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited May 2007
    You provided an amp exactly as described.

Not if the amp wasn't working when recieved, he described the amp as "excellent condition", he did not say it wasn't working.
    This is just the risk of buying stuff off e-bay without a formal return policy.
    I don't think you need to do anything more as a seller.

That is excacly the attitude of most bad sellers on Ebay. Remind me never to buy from you.
  • SLOCOOKN
    SLOCOOKN Posts: 704
    edited May 2007
    I had some moron try to tell me his package never arrived last week....Too bad I still had the UPS TRACKING NUMBER......What a moron! That **** is trying to screw you over man.

I had a package shipped by a seller USPS. I never got the package. He has a tracking number and it showed delivered.

I called the post office here and the manager said HUHHH. I show it being delivered twice...that is strange...Anyway do you have insurance....No I said...Well not much I can due....Can you say STOLEN...
    :eek: From the bottom it looks like a steep incline, From the top another down hill slope of mine.:mad: But I know the equilibrium's there!:cool: .."Faith No More" :D
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    AudioQuest Crystal 2 spk wire
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
    VMPS Original Tall Boy (Mega Woofers soon)
  • bobman1235
    edited May 2007
    WilliamM2 wrote: »
    Not if the amp wasn't working when recieved, he described the amp as "excellent condition", he did not say it wasn't working.

That is excacly the attitude of most bad sellers on Ebay. Remind me never to buy from you.

:rolleyes: People scam on both sides of the coin. You can't expect a seller to do backflips trying to accomodate someone who is most likely just trying to screw him. He should certainly try to verify the buyer's claims, and if they are real, refund his money, but you seem convinced that the buyer is telling the truth when at least half the time (and that's being generous) they're just lying scumbags out to cheat you.
  • madmax
    edited May 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    :rolleyes: at least half the time (and that's being generous) they're just lying scumbags out to cheat you.

Wow! A few bad experiences out there? :eek:
    madmax

• bobman1235
    edited May 2007
    Well 90% of my eBay expereinces have been flawless. But every time someone has complained or tried something like this, it has come out, one way or another, that they were being deceitful.

Couple that with my complete lack of faith in humankind (Club Polk members notwithstanding) and yeah, I'm a big pessimistic.
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited May 2007
    People scam on both sides of the coin. You can't expect a seller to do backflips trying to accomodate someone who is most likely just trying to screw him.

My comment was directed at rskarvans attitude, claiming the seller needs to do nothing. I think nadams is doing the right thing by verifying the buyers story, and acting on that.
  • madmax
    edited May 2007
    I'd give rskarvans attitude 3 out of 4 stars.
    madmax

• bobman1235
    edited May 2007
    A++++++ Great attitude would read again! Thanks!!
  • edbert
    edbert Posts: 1,041
    edited May 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    A++++++ Great attitude would read again! Thanks!!

Now that's funny right there. :D
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • rskarvan
    edited May 2007
    Hey... I'm offended. (Not the first time I've been offended on this website).
    Anyway... I honestly think the seller did nothing wrong. He sincerely delivered a product that he knew was in fine working condition to UPS. The fact that it arrived in non-working condition is not the sellers fault (at all).

The product was either:
    a) damaged in transit.
    b) damaged upon installation.
    c) just plain broke at an unusual time (coincidence).

In any event, the seller did not offer any return policy. Its not listed in his ad. When I buy things on e-bay, I look for a formal return policy. If its there, I'll bid a little higher because I am assuming less risk. If its not there, I bid lower and assume more risk.

Again, the seller did absolutely nothing wrong. He described the unit honestly, packaged it well, and delivered it to UPS as promised.

The fault lies elsewhere.

FOLKS... EBAY STUFF IS USED AND BEING SOLD AT AUCTION. It doesn't come with a satisfaction guarantee like stuff purchased at a good audio shop. If you don't want to take a little risk, you shouldn't be pursuing the big discounts.

AND, I DESERVE 4 out of 4 stars for integrity!!!
  • madmax
    edited May 2007
    Even the tackiest of sellers guaratee against DOA unless otherwise stated. Sheesh

• rskarvan
    edited May 2007
    Madmax, why should the seller be responsible for the UPS sorter who drops the package from a 25' elevated conveyor belt? That is why shipping insurance should be offered. If its not offered, the buyer is assuming the risk of damage in transit.

You are an awfully nice fellow to assume all risk in your auctions. Personally, I think you should assume an appropriate amount of risk (as disclosed in the listing)... but, certainly not all of it.

Also, think about how many trucks the UPS package is loaded and unloaded from in its journey from pick-up to sending hub, to sorting hub, to receiving hub, and to delivery vehicle. Assuming the risk of transit is substantial. That is why shipping insurance is a very good idea.
  • madmax
    edited May 2007
    rskarvan wrote: »
    You are an awfully nice fellow to assume all risk in your auctions.

No, I am not a nice fellow. I follow the contract and provide the article as described for the cost agreed upon. That is simple business integrity.
    madmax

• rskarvan
    edited May 2007
    madmax wrote: »
    No, I am not a nice fellow. I follow the contract and provide the article as described for the cost agreed upon. That is simple business integrity.
    madmax

And, that is EXACTLY what nadams has done.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited May 2007
    It has always been...and always will be the sellers responsibilty until the buyer receives it. Anything else is bad business. How should it ever be a buyer's risk until they take possession?
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited May 2007
    rskarvan wrote: »
    And, that is EXACTLY what nadams has done.
    Yeah, but how to I as a buyer know that?
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited May 2007
    shack wrote: »
    It has always been...and always will be the sellers responsibilty until the buyer receives it. Anything else is bad business. How should it ever be a buyer's risk until they take possession?
    Agreed