I know you are tired of high gas prices too!

SLOCOOKN
SLOCOOKN Posts: 704
edited May 2007 in The Clubhouse
For the second straight day futures trading of gas is going down and inventory continues to rise and.....SO DO PRICES!

Today was the don't buy gas day. I gave a lot of thought about this. This is more a show of protest. We all (with common sense) know this will not effect the bottom line for gas companies.

Commerce must continue so the demand will always be there.

So here is my thought. We all "need" gas to continue to get back and forth to work so we can provide for our families. So a not buying gas is not a real effective protest.

INSTEAD we could all agree to NOT SHOP RETAIL STORES on JUNE 25th. This would get more attention because Wal-**** and other major retailers count there pennies everyday. And the shock of an empty Wal-**** on a Friday would shock the hell out of Wallstreet. We have the power as consumers and we should use it when we are being taken advantage of! And belive me this would be a more effictive protest.

If prices of gas is high because of demand, then we could cut our demand for products from retailers and ease the highways of America from freight traffic.
:eek: From the bottom it looks like a steep incline, From the top another down hill slope of mine.:mad: But I know the equilibrium's there!:cool: .."Faith No More" :D
Sony cx985v (for now)
BBE 482i
B&K AVP 1030
Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
AudioQuest Crystal 2 spk wire
Nordost RCA
SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
Belkin pf60
Carver TFM 55x
Signal Analog 2 RCA
AudioQuestType 4
VMPS Original Tall Boy (Mega Woofers soon)
Post edited by SLOCOOKN on

Comments

• PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited May 2007
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,571
    edited May 2007
    waaaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahhaah
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited May 2007
    Wow, just wow. As punishment, you must start one intellectualy interesting and challenging thread for the torrent of mindlessness you just casually dropped on the forum.

I need those 10 IQ points back!
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • SLOCOOKN
    edited May 2007
    jdhdiggs wrote: »
    Wow, just wow. As punishment, you must start one intellectualy interesting and challenging thread for the torrent of mindlessness you just casually dropped on the forum.

I need those 10 IQ points back!

How so?
    :eek: From the bottom it looks like a steep incline, From the top another down hill slope of mine.:mad: But I know the equilibrium's there!:cool: .."Faith No More" :D
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited May 2007
    Wouldn't it be more effective if EVERYONE called in sick (at the same time) one, two, or three days in a row? Call it the Super Flu. That would shut down a lot of shite, no?
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • jdhdiggs
    edited May 2007
    SLOCOOKN wrote: »
    How so?

Uh, it's about as effective as pulling the "I hate Ford Motor company so I'm not buying a Playstation 3!"

We could get into all kinds of detail on the micro and macro effects or even discuss the logistics and game theory implications, but the issue of punishing someone else to teach another person a lesson is still the biggest problem.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • SLOCOOKN
    edited May 2007
    Halo wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be more effective if EVERYONE called in sick (at the same time) one, two, or three days in a row? Call it the Super Flu. That would shut down a lot of shite, no?

This isn't about shutting things down. It is a lot of the argument that the DEMAND of gas is causing the higher prices. If you are unhappy about the current situation of the higher prices you should do something.

Not buying gas in an unreasonable protest. Not creating demand by

1. Driving to the store and
    2. Not buying products (shock and awe)

The bottom line is change is needed and as consumers we have no REAL other alternative.

WE ARE A CONSUMER BASED ECONOMY WITH NO OTHER ALTERNATIVE TO GAS.

Local commuting is in efficient. Ride share is not always an alternative.

Where I live there is a law that only 2 kids in a car under the age of 18 (DRIVER and passenger). So school kids can't ride share.
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
  • SLOCOOKN
    edited May 2007
    Uh, it's about as effective as pulling the "I hate Ford Motor company so I'm not buying a Playstation 3!"

We could get into all kinds of detail on the micro and macro effects or even discuss the logistics and game theory implications, but the issue of punishing someone else to teach another person a lesson is still the biggest problem.

We are only punishing our selves by not doing anything. We have allowed our focus on energy to become so one sided that with out drastic and sudden change we are on an long and drawn out road to ruin.

I am upset because I can see how much this IS hurting our economy and there is no alternative solution being staked out.
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited May 2007
    Wait... this is serious?

Jesus, I thought it was a pretty funny joke. If you're serious, the only thing being shut down in this thread is the collective brain power of anyone reading it.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited May 2007
    we American's love to buy shite to much for any of this to ever work. We love spending our money foolishly on un-needed items. I think someone in here has said it several times.. "is it something you need or is it just something you want?" two different things.. between need and want.

We "want" everything, but do we "need" it? No.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • SLOCOOKN
    edited May 2007
    danger boy wrote: »
    we American's love to buy shite to much for any of this to ever work. We love spending our money foolishly on un-needed items. I think someone in here has said it several times.. "is it something you need or is it just something you want?" two different things.. between need and want.

We "want" everything, but do we "need" it? No.

These philosophical arguments are fine. But where is the real resolution in the statement.

We are the GREATEST NATION IN THE WORLD! We have the technology....We should not be living like we are in a third world country! Should we wait for Small Business America or Corporate America to fail.
    Wal-**** came out and said this morning that they were worried about next quarter already.

Quality of life for all is hinged here! The amount of money that is sucked out of this economy for getting back and forth to word is scary.
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
  • PhantomOG
    edited May 2007
    Shifting your buying habits by one day (for ANYTHING!), even if you could get every single person in the whole world to participate (which is also ridiculous) does absolutely nothing. Is the concept really that hard to grasp? Seriously, if you somehow convinced everyone in the world to not buy anything for one whole day, what do you think would happen the very next day? People would go out and buy all the crap they would have bought and then some.

If you want to make a difference, change your lifestyle. Plain and simple. If enough people do that, then there will be a difference.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited May 2007
    Holy ****, I think a kindergartener has more economic sense...
  • read-alot
    read-alot Posts: 812
    edited May 2007
    I have often thought if we Americans would pick one oil company say Exxon Mobil who showed record profits somewhere around 40 Billion last year and just boycott the **** out of them would make more of a difference than just not buying gas one day.
    polkaudio SRS (rdo194 x 8)
    Dodd ELP (separate power supply)
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo
    MIT (speaker cables) Outlaw (ICs)

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • SLOCOOKN
    edited May 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Holy ****, I think a kindergartener has more economic sense...

Do you not understand! I am aware that the ECONOMIC IMPACT IS UNDERRATED HERE!!!!!! I GET THIS!!!!!!

I believe the theory of real protest is what I was originally trying to convey.

PROTEST! not economic reform!

The finger I have on what is going on must be different than what you are experiencing.

I have a couple of friends and family friend in the excavation business and several other small business that are really feeling an impact.

Even I am now aware, I have an 60 mile round trip to my small business I run.

That is all
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited May 2007
    Wal Mart has nothing to worry about.. they are just saying that they are worried about the next quarter.. but damn. if after the quarter is over.. they will post record sales... trust me.. I can see the headlines already... Wal Mart 3rd quater profits up... 12% over last year..
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited May 2007
    PhantomOG wrote: »
    If you want to make a difference, change your lifestyle. Plain and simple. If enough people do that, then there will be a difference.

Exactly. Move to within walking distance of work, carpool, grow your own fruits n veggies if you can, on n on etc.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2007
    You better hope Walmart is doing well. There is a saying 'As Wal-Mart goes, so goes the economy'. No, it's not a scientific statement, but a general barometer that is true more often than not.

I say we all buy as much SPAM canned meat as possible tomorrow. Let's do this!!!! Seriously, go ahead and boycot the 25th, I hope it works. I'll make sure to shop that day, since the stores will be less crowded. ;)
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • SLOCOOKN
    edited May 2007
    read-alot wrote: »
    I have often thought if we Americans would pick one oil company say Exxon Mobil who showed record profits somewhere around 40 Billion last year and just boycott the **** out of them would make more of a difference than just not buying gas one day.

The oil business is so convoluted. Just watch were all the fuel trucks load up with fuel. You will see Cono, Philip, BP and all other fill up at the same loading station.

Who knows how it all really works.
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
  • SLOCOOKN
    edited May 2007
    jflail2 wrote: »
    Exactly. Move to within walking distance of work, carpool, grow your own fruits n veggies if you can, on n on etc.

WTF ask some one in NY to grow there own Fruits and veggies?

WHERE would they do that. If you live in NY most likely you already walk or take the sub.

I live in a rule part of the country. If commerce is to exist we must move freely about.

Localization dosen't allow for growth.
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
  • SLOCOOKN
    edited May 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    You better hope Walmart is doing well. There is a saying 'As Wal-Mart goes, so goes the economy'. No, it's not a scientific statement, but a general barometer that is true more often than not.

I say we all buy as much SPAM canned meat as possible tomorrow. Let's do this!!!! Seriously, go ahead and boycot the 25th, I hope it works. I'll make sure to shop that day, since the stores will be less crowded. ;)

Finally some humor in all of this :D
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited May 2007
    Do you not understand! I am aware that the ECONOMIC IMPACT IS UNDERRATED HERE!!!!!! I GET THIS!!!!!!

I believe the theory of real protest is what I was originally trying to convey.

PROTEST! not economic reform!

The finger I have on what is going on must be different than what you are experiencing.

I have a couple of friends and family friend in the excavation business and several other small business that are really feeling an impact.

Even I am now aware, I have an 60 mile round trip to my small business I run.

That is all

Let me put this into perspective, if your profit margins in your own business were that of 'Big Oil' companies, you'd just be doing okay. In a word, you'd probably be bitching about financial constraints.

You see 40 billion in profits, but miss the 480 billion in expenses. Not to mention, who gets that money? Even if these ridiculous boycotts worked, you're only effin' everyone in the U.S. who works for them in the ****. That, in turn, effects every other business because those people have less to spend.

You see, our economy isn't made up of a bunch of evil executives hording all of the nations cash like you'd like to believe. You start trying to topple the corporate giants and you screw yourself in the process, either directly or indirectly.

The only impact you can make is on yourself and your family. No retailer or oil company gives a **** if you don't buy their product for 3 days or 5 days. They know you'll make it up over time.
  • PhantomOG
    edited May 2007
    I thought there was plenty of humor in the very first post ;)
  • SLOCOOKN
    edited May 2007
    PhantomOG wrote: »
    I thought there was plenty of humor in the very first post ;)

Hmmmm ;)
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
  • jdhdiggs
    edited May 2007
    What the hell! You're flogging the wrong ****'s!!!

It's those batshit crazy soccer moms buying a freaking excursion because their too busy not disciplining their kids while sipping their $5 latte, putting on her tammy faye special while talking on the phone and know their going to hit someone so they want the biggest, ugliest gas guzzling piece of crap they can find instead of buying a fuel efficient car, having their kids behave and obeying the laws of the road and common sense.

It's those barking moonbat eco-tards who think you can see an offshore oil platform from 45 miles away and think Caribou won't fornicate if they see a piece of iron or concrete. All while flying their freaking helicoptors to show how "bad" other people are.

It's the fault of the moron public for voting other moronic jackasses into office who have as much economic common sense as the generators of these "boycotts" and having them produce so much freaking read tape that an oil and gas company needs to spend decades and hundreds of millions of dollars just to get permission to build an additional refinery.

Want high gas price relief, here you go: quit buying the bigger and bigger cars as daily commuters. Tell your local tree-hugger where they can shove their birckenstocks, and most importantly, QUIT VOTING MORONS INTO OFFICE!!!
  • jdhdiggs
    edited May 2007
    The oil business is so convoluted. Just watch were all the fuel trucks load up with fuel. You will see Cono, Philip, BP and all other fill up at the same loading station.

Who knows how it all really works.

Um, I do....
  • SLOCOOKN
    edited May 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Let me put this into perspective, if your profit margins in your own business were that of 'Big Oil' companies, you'd just be doing okay. In a word, you'd probably be bitching about financial constraints.

You see 40 billion in profits, but miss the 480 billion in expenses. Not to mention, who gets that money? Even if these ridiculous boycotts worked, you're only effin' everyone in the U.S. who works for them in the ****. That, in turn, effects every other business because those people have less to spend.

You see, our economy isn't made up of a bunch of evil executives hording all of the nations cash like you'd like to believe. You start trying to topple the corporate giants and you screw yourself in the process, either directly or indirectly.

The only impact you can make is on yourself and your family. No retailer or oil company gives a **** if you don't buy their product for 3 days or 5 days. They know you'll make it up over time.

I am not a leftist hippy DEMI.

I belive you are wrong in your assumption of my motive. I never said punish the gas companies.

Each pay period and every time we put gas in our cars WE AMERICANS are paying elected officials to manage this country and our interest abroad. They seem blind to all that is going on.

If in theroy the protest worked there would be BIG MONEY talking, yelling and screaming for change and working ALTERNATIVES.

Money is the only thing that talks any more. If you disrupt the money flow then change is sure to come.
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited May 2007
    Gas prices are going up for one reason, BECAUSE THEY CAN! They will go up no matter what we as consumers do because the oil companies know we can't do with out it. It's not the governments fault or the war's fault,it's only the oil co. seeing an opportunity to increase profits. This time it will go to say $4.00 then back down to low 3's high 2's. Then next time it willshoot right to 4.00 and climb from there. I read some place that a study was done and prices would have to hit $6.00 a gallon before the american people would slow driving and limit travels.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • jdhdiggs
    edited May 2007
    MSALLA:

O&G is a commodity market. All the players would have to collude together to do what your talking about. Believe me, they don't (in a business sense, they despise eachother). If they did, they'd be making a lot more money than a measly 10% markup.
  • SLOCOOKN
    edited May 2007
    What the hell! You're flogging the wrong ****'s!!!

It's those batshit crazy soccer moms buying a freaking excursion because their too busy not disciplining their kids while sipping their $5 latte, putting on her tammy faye special while talking on the phone and know their going to hit someone so they want the biggest, ugliest gas guzzling piece of crap they can find instead of buying a fuel efficient car, having their kids behave and obeying the laws of the road and common sense.

It's those barking moonbat eco-tards who think you can see an offshore oil platform from 45 miles away and think Caribou won't fornicate if they see a piece of iron or concrete. All while flying their freaking helicoptors to show how "bad" other people are.

It's the fault of the moron public for voting other moronic jackasses into office who have as much economic common sense as the generators of these "boycotts" and having them produce so much freaking read tape that an oil and gas company needs to spend decades and hundreds of millions of dollars just to get permission to build an additional refinery.

Want high gas price relief, here you go: quit buying the bigger and bigger cars as daily commuters. Tell your local tree-hugger where they can shove their birckenstocks, and most importantly, QUIT VOTING MORONS INTO OFFICE!!!

I can agree with a lot of what you are writing. However, Getting soccer mom to buy a smaller car is not going to help spur creation of real alternatives to our current problem. The politicians need to be forced to focus. Oil has big money to defend.

Just like Bio diesel and Ethanol. What a joke! burn fuel getting seeds to plant burn fuel planting. burn fuel harvesting. burn fuel transporting. Using Huge ammounts of water (hurting local municipalities) fermenting and fuel to produce. Then to find out that Ethanol is worse for the environment than fossil fuels.

And a by product of all of this is grain for feeding cattle is going up hurting smaller cattle operations. And corporate farms buying out smaller family farms shifting out competition and raising prices
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4