Judge sues cleaners for $65 million

2»

Comments

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited May 2007
    Not any more Danny.

He still is an employee of OAH, but in a non judicial capacity. The 4 person council still is considering how to proceed.
    Danny Tse wrote: »
    So the pants weren't lost....they were returned after a week. Assuming that's the case, how many times would this guy wore the pants within that week?

And this guy is a judge? :mad: I hope the Chungs sue his pants off.

BTW....

The above from ABC News :D
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited May 2007
    PhantomOG wrote: »
    ... over ONE pair of pants. :eek:

AP story

This guy should lose his job and pay for legal fees. Of all people to make a frivolous law suit, you would think a judge would be smart enough not to.

How about the judge who isn't throwing this out of court!!! That person is as much an asshat as this clown.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2007
    This is why we need a "loser pays" system.

You want to sue somebody? Fine. If you win, you win. If you lose, you pay all of the other guys expenses.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    PolkThug wrote: »
    The lawyer who is taking all the money from the Korean family should be kicked in the nuts repeatedly. He's the **** who is actually getting rich off of their situation.

I hear that!!! Quid pro quo. . .at the very least, like free legal services for free dry cleaning for him and his wife til death. . . sounds like a fair deal.
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited May 2007
    I hear that!!! Quid pro quo. . .at the very least, like free legal services for free dry cleaning for him and his wife til death. . . sounds like a fair deal.

That may be the deal.....I doubt that they have the money so support a trail attorney for a extended period of time....
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,668
    edited May 2007
    The Constitution guarantees a person's right to a competent dry cleaner.

Da Man's gots to have his pants .... if a few Korean cleaners get run over in the process, well ..... dem's duh breaks !
    Sal Palooza
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited May 2007
    Sounds good in practice but that would probably shield large corporations/the rich from meaningful litigation merely because the "small guy" is too afraid to lose and be forced to pay. Effectively you would be making it so only the rich/powerful could afford to risk bringing suit against anyone.

As it stands, if you have a meaningful suit against someone, you can likely find a lawyer who will work only for a percentage of the expected settlement, assuming they think your case is strong enough. With a loser pays system, even a meaningful suit is still a gamble and greatly reduces liability since people will be afraid to take that gamble.

Hence why you would have a daily cap. Going into the lawsuit your lawyer and you should know if you have a legitimate case or not. If you don't, you don't follow through with the case.

As it stands today, the lawyers will work for any case for a percentage of the winnings as in this case mostly because it costs them nothing but time to lose and millions on a win.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited May 2007
    Shizelbs wrote: »
    If he gets his $65 million, he can afford to lose his job.

not gonna happen
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited May 2007
    The sad thing is, in a case like this the dry cleaner owners probably have a geniune case for a settlement against the judge for harrassment, however the judge's actions so far have probably drained them so much they can't afford to hire someone to sue him back.

Oh and I was trying not to bring up that they were Korean immigrants. I just recently found out we have a forum member here who is openly racist against them (and myself since I'm half Korean). :mad:

Lawyers will be lining up to represent the Korean family for the harrassment suit (no pun intended)...Think of all the money they WILL win..what lawyer will turn that down?
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited May 2007
    BIZILL wrote: »
    looks like he took THEM to the 'cleaners'! hahahhahahahahhalaalallaallolololololol!:D :D:D:D:D:D:p

:(

:D:D LOL
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited May 2007
    I am pretty sure at some point it will be thrown out.....The poor owners of that dry cleaner most likely will be able to recoup the legal fees from that, but a civil case for harassment or defamation of character is an expensive proposition.....Believe me, I just got a settlement for 7k out of some **** for a suit that went on for five years.....There is a point where you hit diminishing returns....A lot more time and effort was spent getting this **** than what I got out of it, but the important part was he admitted guilt for defamation of my character, I guess it was worth it at the end of the day...7K i didn't have before...
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    A lot more time and effort was spent getting this **** than what I got out of it, but the important part was he admitted guilt for defamation of my character, I guess it was worth it at the end of the day...7K i didn't have before...

I'll defame your character and then recant if you shoot me 1/2!!!:p
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited May 2007
    This post should say "Judge takes cleaners to the cleaners".
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited May 2007
    jdhdiggs wrote: »
    I'd support a "loser pays" system where whoever loses the court case pays the litigation costs of both parties (capped at an amount/day so everyone's not hiring Johnny Cochran for a speeding ticket)

Likewise.
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited May 2007
    The british system is a loser pay. They have far fewer lawsuits because of this approach.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited May 2007
    Shizelbs wrote: »
    Who? Who? What did I miss?
    Ya! Who, what, where, when, & how?
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited May 2007
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut