Judge sues cleaners for $65 million

PhantomOG
PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
edited May 2007 in The Clubhouse
... over ONE pair of pants. :eek:

AP story

This guy should lose his job and pay for legal fees. Of all people to make a frivolous law suit, you would think a judge would be smart enough not to.
Post edited by PhantomOG on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2007
    PhantomOG wrote: »
    Of all people to make a frivolous law suit, you would think a judge would be smart enough not to.

I wouldnt give them that much credit. Most judges used to be lawyers...lawyers are the ones that support the people who bring up frivolous law suits.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited May 2007
    The "judge" should be arrested, and thrown in jail for harassment, plain and simple. He obviously has a problem with these people, and has used his power to destroy their lives. It's patently ridiculous. Someone needs to take a stand and take action against this kind of thing before it gets even more out of control. The fact that htey offered him ANYTHING is ridiculous. I would offer him a restraining order and a countersuit for harassment and lost business.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited May 2007
    ^^^^^^Well said.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited May 2007
    the defendants offerred a 12000.00 settlement, and this guy refused it. what a piece of ****
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited May 2007
    What an ****!

"Because Pearson no longer wanted to use his neighborhood dry cleaner, part of his lawsuit calls for $15,000 — the price to rent a car every weekend for 10 years to go to another business."
  • izafar
    izafar Posts: 819
    edited May 2007
    Much of Pearson's case rests on two signs that Custom Cleaners once had on its walls: "Satisfaction Guaranteed" and "Same Day Service."

Looks like I need to start suing. There are thousand of cases in dealing with people where I wasn't satisfied.
    -izafar

Goldenear Technology Triton 1 - Benchmark AHB2 - Benchmark LA4 - Auralic Vega - Auralic Aries Mini - Marantz TT-15S1 - Clearaudio Nano
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited May 2007
    Knows how to make money on how to jerk the courts.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • bobman1235
    edited May 2007
    We should round up some folks who have been in his courtroom and have unsatisfactory results. See if we can get a class action going.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited May 2007
    I'm sure the city council is working feverishly to find a way to not re-certify his appointment as a judge. And if they don't get him, my guess is the ABA will.

Course that will end up meaning that he will then sue the city council, his former employers, & god know who ever else he can think of.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited May 2007
    The sad thing is that the couple are immigrants from South Korea who cam here to make a good living for themselves by working hard and running an honest business. They even went so far as to offer the jackass a 12,000 dollar settlement. They have been interviewed and said that they are now broke from the legal fees (may have to file bankruptcy and close the business) and just want to go back to South Korea, but can't due to the pending litigation. The guy is a piece of sh%t, plain and simple. It's bad enough that we are a sue happy society; it's worse when the people who are supposed to prevent this kind of crap are participating in this nonsense. How does he sleep at night?

Shawn
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited May 2007
    If he gets his $65 million, he can afford to lose his job.
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited May 2007
    What makes this even worse is that his own colleagues are trying to help out.......The state bar association has gotten a bunch of lawyers together to chip in and buy the guy the same suit (not just the pants) if he dropped the lawsuit. He declined (not surprising considering he rejected a 12,000 dollar settlement), but funny since a bunch of lawyers are coming to the aid of the dry cleaners and not the judge!!!!

Shawn
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • cfrizz
    edited May 2007
    This judge is a blight on the District of Columbia Office of Administrative Hearings. They want to get him out as well. As do all decent lawyers & judges.

They may get their wish since CNN is now calling him an EX judge, since his appointment expires today.

With all the bad publicity that this has drawn up, I bet the Judge that hears the case in June will probably toss it out & blast this guy to kingdom come.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • bobman1235
    edited May 2007
    cfrizz wrote: »
    This judge is a blight on the District of Columbia Office of Administrative Hearings. They want to get him out as well. As do all decent lawyers & judges.

They may get their wish since CNN is now calling him an EX judge, since his appointment expires today.

With all the bad publicity that this has drawn up, I bet the Judge that hears the case in June will probably toss it out & blast this guy to kingdom come.

What will that accomplish? The guy already most likely ruined the lives of the Korean couple. Unless he has to pay for every dime of their legal fees thus far, he's won.

And ideally, he'd be sodomized by a gorilla in the meantime.
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited May 2007
    looks like he took THEM to the 'cleaners'! hahahhahahahahhalaalallaallolololololol!:D :D:D:D:D:D:p

:(

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • cfrizz
    edited May 2007
    I just found out his term expired yesterday. He is still employed thanks to how the commission set up the rules, but he no longer sits on the bench. So that is something.

Once the commission officially fires him he'll be out altogether.
  • PolkThug
    edited May 2007
    The lawyer who is taking all the money from the Korean family should be kicked in the nuts repeatedly. He's the **** who is actually getting rich off of their situation.
  • PhantomOG
    edited May 2007
    The sad thing is, in a case like this the dry cleaner owners probably have a geniune case for a settlement against the judge for harrassment, however the judge's actions so far have probably drained them so much they can't afford to hire someone to sue him back.

Oh and I was trying not to bring up that they were Korean immigrants. I just recently found out we have a forum member here who is openly racist against them (and myself since I'm half Korean). :mad:
  • bobman1235
    edited May 2007
    ?? "Openly racist" people don't tend to last too long 'round these parts....
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited May 2007
    PolkThug wrote: »
    The lawyer who is taking all the money from the Korean family should be kicked in the nuts repeatedly. He's the **** who is actually getting rich off of their situation.

If the judge, or ex-judge, loses the case, won't he have to pay for those fees?
  • PhantomOG
    edited May 2007
    Sami wrote: »
    If the judge, or ex-judge, loses the case, won't he have to pay for those fees?

Only if they have the money to pay another lawyer for a countersuit. And since nothing is guaranteed they probably won't want to risk it considering their financial crunch.
  • PhantomOG
    edited May 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    ?? "Openly racist" people don't tend to last too long 'round these parts....

That's what I thought but apparently not. :mad:
  • cfrizz
    edited May 2007
    Thuggy, this ex judge is representing himself. The judge who hears the case next month can not only throw the case out, he can also sanction this guy for his abuse of the system. Which could include all court costs of the cleaners.

Considering that this is the 2nd time he has pulled a stunt like this, (The first time was against his exwife in VA.) He stands a very good chance of losing everything. Including his license to practice law.
  • PolkThug
    edited May 2007

TroyD called him out on it. Just add offenders to your ignore list.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited May 2007

I think it's been proven that the offender is just more than a bit looney tunes anyway. Don't let it bother you.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited May 2007
    PolkThug wrote: »
    TroyD called him out on it. Just add offenders to your ignore list.

Who? Who? What did I miss?
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited May 2007
    This judge is certified crazy as hell, but here's the rub -- the legal system is so screwed up that it actually allows lawsuits like this one to occur. Shameful.

There should a process of mandatory binding arbitration for minor disputes like these. It would cost a lot less money. Problem is -- the lawyers aren't gonna support it 'cause they ain't gonna deny themselves the opportunity to take advantage of people.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited May 2007
    I'd support a "loser pays" system where whoever loses the court case pays the litigation costs of both parties (capped at an amount/day so everyone's not hiring Johnny Cochran for a speeding ticket)
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • PhantomOG
    edited May 2007
    jdhdiggs wrote: »
    I'd support a "loser pays" system where whoever loses the court case pays the litigation costs of both parties (capped at an amount/day so everyone's not hiring Johnny Cochran for a speeding ticket)

Sounds good in practice but that would probably shield large corporations/the rich from meaningful litigation merely because the "small guy" is too afraid to lose and be forced to pay. Effectively you would be making it so only the rich/powerful could afford to risk bringing suit against anyone.

As it stands, if you have a meaningful suit against someone, you can likely find a lawyer who will work only for a percentage of the expected settlement, assuming they think your case is strong enough. With a loser pays system, even a meaningful suit is still a gamble and greatly reduces liability since people will be afraid to take that gamble.
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited May 2007
    So the pants weren't lost....they were returned after a week. Assuming that's the case, how many times would this guy wore the pants within that week?

And this guy is a judge? :mad: I hope the Chungs sue his pants off.

BTW....
    The ABC News Law & Justice Unit has calculated that for $67 million Pearson could buy 84,115 new pairs of pants at the $800 value he placed on the missing trousers in court documents. If you stacked those pants up, they would be taller than eight Mount Everests. If you laid them side by side, they would stretch for 48 miles.

The above from ABC News :D