GM is now the #2 automaker.....

124»

Comments

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited April 2007
    TroyD wrote: »
    Ron,

Trade defecits. Good topic. Answer? Who gives a ****. WE consume more than WE can produce. The goods have to come from someplace. Plus, high trade deficits indicate a strong dollar abroad (which punctures a huge hole in the currency fixing scheme), that means a dollar buys more **** than a yen does.

BDT

???
    I think you have part of that backwards. How can you support a negative money flow forever?
    Sooner or later, the bill comes due. The dollar at some point becomes toilette paper.
    We have to have something to trade back they want, or the whole thing comes crashing down.
    Same thing with the government spending. Sooner or later, We'll have to deal
    with it. Pray the foriegn trade and government tabs don't come due for payment at the same time!
    That's the blueprint for becoming the new 3rd world country.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited April 2007
    rskarvan wrote: »
    ...the Korean culture is disgusting.

niiiice... :rolleyes:
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited April 2007
    Jstas, I indicated in my original post in this thread which cars I have tried and listed the specific problems with each. You think I'd keep buying Jeep if I had big problems?

I've owned Dodge, Chevy, and jeep. No I haven't tried every American brand, but let's just group my cars into two categories. Let's see, American cars, 0 for 3 with no problems, **** cars, 2 for 2 with no problems.

I kinda suck at math, but I think my odds with the Japanese cars are better, so I'll stick with them.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited April 2007
    By the way...

I'm fully expecting my 4Runner to break down and burst into flames on the way home today now that I've said publically that I've had no problems with it...
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited April 2007
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    ???
    I think you have part of that backwards. How can you support a negative money flow forever?
    Sooner or later, the bill comes due. The dollar at some point becomes toilette paper.
    We have to have something to trade back they want, or the whole thing comes crashing down.
    Same thing with the government spending. Sooner or later, We'll have to deal
    with it. Pray the foriegn trade and government tabs don't come due for payment at the same time!
    That's the blueprint for becoming the new 3rd world country.

If you assume that 'wealth' is finite amount, ergo, a zero sum enterprise...you would be absolutely correct.

However, we have proven that wealth can be created. The fact is, there is no way we could ever produce an amount equal to what we consume, we are the biggest consumers on the relative to our population. As long as we continue to generate the money...what's the difference?

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited April 2007
    Lets say (hypothetically) that the world was composed of 5 car companies: Chevy, Hyundai, Toyota, Volkswagon, and Renault.

I would drive a Chevy because it is made in the USA and this helps to support my fellow americans.
    I would drive a Volkswagon because of fine German Engineering.
    I would drive a Renault because its economical and well engineered... but, I'd have some serious reluctance because France didn't support the war in Iraq with ground troops. If they aren't going to support the USA... why would I support France?
    I would drive a Toyota exclusively because they embraced Deming and his quality concepts and as a result, they have very good quality.
    I wouldn't drive a Hyundai because the Korean culture is disgusting.

I wouldn't drive a Chevy because, frankly, they haven't produced anything warranting my money in more than a generation. I also reject a corporate culture that feels entitled to perpetuate medicocrity and feels it should be rewarded on doing so based on a concept that is a complete myth.

A VW is a great car which I wouldn't mind owning.

Renault? France can kiss my **** and thier cars suck.

My gripe with Toyota is thier dealerships.

I own a Kia (Korean) and it's been fabulous and trouble free.

As far as your comments about Korea, I'm willing to wager you know NOTHING of it. I find your comment incredibly racist, small minded and insulting. Ron, I used to think you were just brainwashed. Now I think you are a complete **** and you may, politely, go sodomize yourself.

You are exhibit A of why American industry is in decline. Pathetic.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited April 2007
    Have a nice day. I will no longer participate in threads where people throw curse words at each other.
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited April 2007
    TroyD wrote: »
    Renault? France can kiss my **** and thier cars suck.
    Their cars are actually quite good. Very refined and cost of ownership is/(was?) low. I haven't really had a look at them lately but if Peugeot would bring their cars over here I would go to their dealership first when it was time to buy a new car.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,978
    edited April 2007
    .........and you would be thr first to break down.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,805
    edited April 2007
    Polkmaniac wrote: »
    Jstas, I indicated in my original post in this thread which cars I have tried and listed the specific problems with each. You think I'd keep buying Jeep if I had big problems?

I've owned Dodge, Chevy, and jeep. No I haven't tried every American brand, but let's just group my cars into two categories. Let's see, American cars, 0 for 3 with no problems, **** cars, 2 for 2 with no problems.

I kinda suck at math, but I think my odds with the Japanese cars are better, so I'll stick with them.

I'm not telling you that you or your math were wrong. You only mentioned Jeep in the post I was referencing and since you brought up Jeep, I used it as an example. I did not look further back in the thread because it is so long. That's my fault. However, it still doesn't detract from my point which you failed to address but still illustrate nicely. I'm not arguing your opinion. All I'm saying is that the logic behind the statement "I owned a Jeep and it sucked and all American cars suck!" is flawed. That's it. Stop making it personal.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,978
    edited April 2007
    Correction............and you would be the first to break down. I used to sell them and they rank right up there with Yugo's in terms of quality. Door handles would fall off in the showroom floor. I sold one of them over a two year stint. Thank GOD we were also a Jeep/Dodge and Chrysler/Plymouth dealer as well or I'd-a-been on skid row.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Jockos
    Jockos Posts: 310
    edited April 2007
    When I was growing up in the 60's and 70's my parents always said buy american. Unfortunately the quality of the american autos declined. My last 2 cars are toyotas, and I have had many used toyotas back in the 70's. They are very reliable. I also currently have a ford ranger, I've had some really strange problems with it and it's now leaking water in the cab, I suspect rust through the windshield grille. For fun I did have a pinto station wagon that had 220k miles on it. Sure the door was hanging off but still running. Finally sold it to some traveling surfers.
    Jockos
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,805
    edited April 2007
    Sami wrote: »
    Their cars are actually quite good. Very refined and cost of ownership is/(was?) low. I haven't really had a look at them lately but if Peugeot would bring their cars over here I would go to their dealership first when it was time to buy a new car.

Renault isn't that great but they do own a big chunk of Nissan. Hell, the corporate 3.5L V6 that you can get in the 350Z or the Maxima or the Infiniti G35 is a Renault engine. I think they use a Renault gearbox too. However, Renault gets pretty low ratings in Europe for build quality, reliability and that 'fun to drive' category. Peugeot is better in all those respects but they did sell cars here. In the mid 80's they sold Peugeots here and they were horrid. Then the U.S Government stiffened crash standards and emissions standards and Peugeot couldn't meet them and stay profitable let alone competative. Renault pulled out about the same time.

Nah, if I'm gonna buy a French car, it's going to be a Citroen. Probably a C6 or a C2 VTS.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Sami
    edited April 2007
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Correction............and you would be the first to break down. I used to sell them and they rank right up there with Yugo's in terms of quality. Door handles would fall off in the showroom floor. I sold one of them over a two year stint. Thank GOD we were also a Jeep/Dodge and Chrysler/Plymouth dealer as well or I'd-a-been on skid row.

If you're refererring to Peugeot, that must have been in the late 80's last time you sold one. When is the last time you've driven one? They are definately better than what Chrysler and it's spinoffs put out now (not counting in MB although they aren't on the top in reliability as they used to).

I didn't say I'd buy one, I said I would visit them first. Their interiors are NIIICE.
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,489
    edited April 2007
    Jstas wrote: »
    the corporate 3.5L V6 that you can get in the 350Z or the Maxima or the Infiniti G35 is a Renault engine..

Interesting - i didn't know that.

also the Altima, Murano, M35, FX35, and the upcoming EX35.

I wonder if the 3.7 variant from the new G37 coupe is essentially Renault as well?
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • Sami
    edited April 2007
    Nah, if I'm gonna buy a French car, it's going to be a Citroen. Probably a C6 or a C2 VTS.

XM was one of the most comfortable cars to drive. Hydraulic suspension, very smooth. I almost bought one but ended up with a Vectra because it was much cheaper to keep. That was still back in the day when the French really had reliability problems.
  • Sami
    edited April 2007
    Renault isn't that great but they do own a big chunk of Nissan. Hell, the corporate 3.5L V6 that you can get in the 350Z or the Maxima or the Infiniti G35 is a Renault engine.

IIRC it uses the same block as VQ30 (300Z etc.) and that one is definately a Nissan design. The only thing I have read (and this was a while back, very unofficial info) is that Renault took it, and modified a little for their mini-vans, and then Nissan took it and modified it a little more (at least the head is new design).
  • GaryZ06
    GaryZ06 Posts: 317
    edited April 2007
    Toyota maybe #1 for now but they don't make one of these...GM for me....
    picture.JPG
    picture.JPG
    Panasonic 50" Plasma + Pioneer 6010
    Toshiba XA2 HD-DVD
    Panasonic BD30 Blu-Ray
    Pioneer 1014
    Polk RTi12 (front)...Polk CSi5 (center)
    Polk RTi4 (rear)...Velodyne DLS 5000-R Sub
    3 Outlaw M-200 Amps
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited April 2007
    I love my VW, and I fully plan on buying a new one when the time comes....I test drove a few American cars before buying my 2002 1.8T Jetta....The Chevy Cobalt is a piece of ****. Even the SS model..My Jetta handles better than that so-called sporty pile...The Impala SS was equally disappointing....I REFUSE to drive a Focus, another piece of ****..I drove a Neon SRT-4, and while it was a decent car, I couldn't bring myself to drive a neon...Too much of a chick car. If I could afford it, I would drive a Ford F250 diesel or a Duramax Chevy, because if I am getting crap gas mileage, I want to be able to get that crap mileage while pulling whatever the hell I want to.....
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited April 2007
    Sweet Vette! Great plate... Evil Z06!!!
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,489
    edited April 2007
    that is evil
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • GaryZ06
    edited April 2007
    Thanks guys....:D
    Toshiba XA2 HD-DVD
    Panasonic BD30 Blu-Ray
    Pioneer 1014
    Polk RTi12 (front)...Polk CSi5 (center)
    Polk RTi4 (rear)...Velodyne DLS 5000-R Sub
    3 Outlaw M-200 Amps
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited April 2007
    Sweet Vette! Great plate... Evil Z06!!!

A Z06 is only a dream for me. At least for now. ;)

Funny you should take a pic in its natural habitat, by the pumps... :D

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • GaryZ06
    edited April 2007
    madmax wrote: »

Funny you should take a pic in its natural habitat, by the pumps... :D

madmax
    It gets very thirsty....all the time :eek: