edited April 2007
    Sami wrote: »
    From your OP: "Shiny new, high-powered deer rifle.............. $1200.00 "

:D

Hyperbole. :rolleyes:
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited April 2007
    let's all put this to rest. everyone has to pitch in for this one. buy me a boresight like the one from the OP. i'll fit it to my armalite ar-10t with stainless steel barrel and floating handguard. i'll find a way to seal off the blow-back tube. i'll don a faceshield and use a benchrest (you all have to supply) and i'll pull the trigger from 3 feet back using some wire at the trigger. i'll post pics and document my results. after all is said and done, ya'll buy me a new armalite ar-10t. or better yet, we'll just settle upon a .50 BMG. any takers? i accept paypal. i don't benefit from any of this. i just get a replacement rifle and benchrest. well, i'll benefit from the .50 BMG!:eek:

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited April 2007
    Sami wrote: »
    As a gun enthusiast, and a hunter, I always thought the weak link is the bolt. I don't see any damage to the bolt, which I do seems odd. Why the damage only extends to the stock, it's not the stock but that's where the barrel starts to get thicker in diameter.

The only damage I have seen was back in military, live ammo and guys forgetting to remove the blocker that was used to splinter the wood on blanks. It's not sealed so that would be a different scenario. Rifle was ok, shooter and the blocker were not.

The new blank adapters seal surprisingly well.....I am an armorer, if you put a new blank adapter onto a new barrel, it is a real tight fit....Even a new adapter into an older barrel...That was a scary sight man...Some people's kids.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited April 2007
    BIZILL wrote: »
    let's all put this to rest. everyone has to pitch in for this one. buy me a boresight like the one from the OP. i'll fit it to my armalite ar-10t with stainless steel barrel and floating handguard. i'll find a way to seal off the blow-back tube. i'll don a faceshield and use a benchrest (you all have to supply) and i'll pull the trigger from 3 feet back using some wire at the trigger. i'll post pics and document my results. after all is said and done, ya'll buy me a new armalite ar-10t. or better yet, we'll just settle upon a .50 BMG. any takers? i accept paypal. i don't benefit from any of this. i just get a replacement rifle and benchrest. well, i'll benefit from the .50 BMG!:eek:

Would Model 82A1/M107 work for you? If you blow up that barrel, you'd be dead....
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • BIZILL
    edited April 2007
    she's a beaut!

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • jdhdiggs
    edited April 2007
    The .417 model 99 is supposedly accurate out past a mile. As accurate at 2,500 yds as the 107 .50 is at 1,500. Not that you'd ever really need to shoot that far...
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • read-alot
    read-alot Posts: 812
    edited April 2007
    Here it is, without the muzzel brake this one would look just like Demi's with the exception of a little more material.

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/5803/normalmuritempb20e37144fg.jpg

Amazing how the splits and the smoothness of them resemble the Savage.
    polkaudio SRS (rdo194 x 8)
    Dodd ELP (separate power supply)
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo
    MIT (speaker cables) Outlaw (ICs)

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited April 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    I wonder how many saying no way are even active shooters. :confused:

I've seen it at outdoor rifle and shotgun clubs before, so it can happen. The only thing I haven't seen is one that has exploded uniformly. So the potential of that happening is not a myth, no matter what Myth Busters says.

savage 30-06
    mossburg 12 pump
    rugger 10-22
    couple bolt 22's
    SKS with folding stock, and bayonet adapter, 30 round clips
    marlin 35 rem lever
    winchester 30/30
    fire star 40
    marlin goose gun bolt 12 ga with 36" barrel
    AR7 survival rifle
    and my fav Ruggar Super Redhawk 44mag with 2-6 power scope all stainless

Add my friends weopons to the list I would probally get in trouble for filling up server space!
    Just a bunch of country bumpkins here. Not Wacko Texas;)
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • jdhdiggs
    edited April 2007
    read-alot wrote: »
    Here it is, without the muzzel brake this one would look just like Demi's with the exception of a little more material.

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/5803/normalmuritempb20e37144fg.jpg

Amazing how the splits and the smoothness of them resemble the Savage.

That one I believe. The bulge then break on the Savage is what's bothering me.
  • Lowell_M
    Lowell_M Posts: 1,660
    edited April 2007
    ben62670 wrote: »
    There is no way that barrel banana peeled all the way back like that. I don't care if they were using triple loads in an aluminum barrel. When a barrel goes bad it just has a bulge, and a split in it. Even Damascus barrels don't "explode", they just separate. When there is a crack in the barrel the explosive gasses just vent out where it first split.

Exactly. The energy contained in the barrel would be gone as soon as the barrel split.
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's
    Signal Ultra Bi-Wire Speaker Cables
  • read-alot
    edited April 2007
    jdhdiggs wrote: »
    That one I believe. The bulge then break on the Savage is what's bothering me.

Im getting there jd, at least this one blows the single split advocates opinions away. Looks like 5 almost equal pieces. I believe if that big muzzel break wasn't holding the end together we would see the same as the Savage.
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • BIZILL
    edited April 2007
    i suppose, just like a chain, a barrel's only as strong as it's weakest link, or in this case, the thinnest wall of material. the riflings ....hold it, if riflings caused the splits to follow the thinnest wall, the barrel would split in spiral fashion. hell, i don't know.

...i still don't like it and have reservations on the validity OF THE OP'S PICS.

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote:
  • ben62670
    edited April 2007
    BIZILL wrote: »
    i suppose, just like a chain, a barrel's only as strong as it's weakest link, or in this case, the thinnest wall of material. the riflings ....hold it, if riflings caused the splits to follow the thinnest wall, the barrel would split in spiral fashion. hell, i don't know.

...i still don't like it and have reservations on the validity OF THE OP'S PICS.

I was thinking of also using the chain analogy, but there would be a whole other argument about that. Barrels consist of lands, and grooves. The grooves would be the weakest, but there are more than 4 of them. As for the rate of twist in rifling it is usually around 1 turn per 21". you wouldn't really be able to see that as evidence in a photo.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • read-alot
    edited April 2007
    a_mattison wrote: »
    Exactly. The energy contained in the barrel would be gone as soon as the barrel split.

Oh really?

abrams_28.jpg
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo

B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited April 2007
    FAKE

I'm a scientist. No, seriously....really.. :p
  • read-alot
    edited April 2007
    a_mattison wrote: »

Oh Really?

Blowedup.jpg
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo

B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • SLOCOOKN
    SLOCOOKN Posts: 704
    edited April 2007
    Fake for sure! He probably did shoot the bore sight out of the gun. You can see some bulging at the end of the barrel. So the gun in now shot. He went home on the band saw and sawed and pulled the barrel back. Then created this Myth.
    :eek: From the bottom it looks like a steep incline, From the top another down hill slope of mine.:mad: But I know the equilibrium's there!:cool: .."Faith No More" :D
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    AudioQuest Crystal 2 spk wire
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
    VMPS Original Tall Boy (Mega Woofers soon)
  • read-alot
    edited April 2007
    SLOCOOKN wrote: »
    Fake for sure! He probably did shoot the bore sight out of the gun. You can see some bulging at the end of the barrel. So the gun in now shot. He went home on the band saw and sawed and pulled the barrel back. Then created this Myth.

Yeah they probably used the same saw on this one.

BigGun.jpg
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo

B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • SLOCOOKN
    SLOCOOKN Posts: 704
    edited April 2007
    If you notice in both of the pictures you posted that the barrel blows from the middle. There is a "blow by" port. It forces most of the pressure back wards. I have now doubt that you can blow a barrel. It is in this example is a farce. IMO.

When a bullet BURNS the powder, some of the gas escapes before the bullet seals the barrel. The seal would not have been great enough. The bore sighting tool would not have created enough of a seal like a jammed bullet would have.
    :eek: From the bottom it looks like a steep incline, From the top another down hill slope of mine.:mad: But I know the equilibrium's there!:cool: .."Faith No More" :D
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    AudioQuest Crystal 2 spk wire
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
    VMPS Original Tall Boy (Mega Woofers soon)
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,711
    edited April 2007
    SLOCOOKN wrote: »
    When a bullet BURNS the powder, some of the gas escapes before the bullet seals the barrel. The seal would not have been great enough. The bore sighting tool would not have created enough of a seal like a jammed bullet would have.

I believe that in the case of the the bore sight, the sight did not seal it, but it obstructed the bullet from escaping the barrel. That's why its blown from the end back. These barrel explosions all vary depending on where the projectile is obstucted.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • read-alot
    edited April 2007
    Hey guys a real engineer looked at it and here is what he had to say.

"I'd suggest to the non-believers that the manner in which the barrel split is about what one could expect from explosive destruction. Uniform linear separation from the point of greatest pressure/lowest resistance. Had the barrel been low quality or defective, it would have let go at the defect or any point of irregularity. This one appears to have split evenly BECAUSE it was well made".
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo

B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited April 2007
    Pretty much along the lines of what my chief engineer here said, and we work in metal fabrication all day long.
  • ben62670
    edited April 2007
    All rough breaks.
    You can see the porous look, and no I am not say the metal is porous, but anytime solid metal fails do to expansion you see a rough surface like you do in the above examples. As for pic # 1 way too smooth. As for the quality of the savage it is one of the cheapest high power rifles you can own. I know. That is what my 30-06 is :p
    Thanks
    Ben
  • BIZILL
    edited April 2007
    read-alot wrote: »

looking at the higher quality pics contained herein, it becomes a bit more believable. the OP's pics make the sides look overly shiny and 'non-porous' like Ben described.

oh, and i have worked in a manufacturing plant for 12 years as well.;) hands on with metal working machines such as co2 lasers, conventional and cnc mills, lathes, press brakes and presses and heat treat and bandsaws and cold saws.

i still have some reservations. if only we could all view the rifle hands-on. judging solely by pics makes this near-impossible to prove what happened.

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote:
  • ben62670
    edited April 2007
    To me the damage in the front of the barrel looks real. If you look really close you can see where the pin that gets inserted in the barrel has left a mark about 3-4 inches deep. I don't denie that the gun was in fact damaged by the bore sight. I do believe that the barrel being split the way it was so smoothly done is a hoax. It looks like a 4 way wedge was driven down to the stock.
    Thanks
    Ben