Exploded Rifle

Comments

• Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited April 2007
    Nice to know that the jury is still out on this one. I've seen this stuff before in person, so I know it's possible, but never as perfect as this looks.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,711
    edited April 2007
    OK, maybe it's real :confused:
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited April 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Nice to know that the jury is still out on this one. I've seen this stuff before in person, so I know it's possible, but never as perfect as this looks.

exactly. of course the ****'s gonna blow up from an obstruction, but dangit, not so sure about the 'perfection' that gun did. i spent a little time trying to find pics of exploded and split barrels. all i got were chamber 'kabooms'. but i didn't look very hard.

...of course, i'm down with the possibilty the split was there, but they tugged on the pieces a bit. but who am i? not a forensic scientist. still, check my sig...

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,711
    edited April 2007
    BIZILL wrote: »
    exactly. of course the ****'s gonna blow up from an obstruction, but dangit, not so sure about the 'perfection' that gun did. i spent a little time trying to find pics of exploded and split barrels. all i got were chamber 'kabooms'. but i didn't look very hard.

I did find a few others that were split much like this. One person mentioned that the barrels split so perfect because of the high quality of the forging/treating of the steel.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited April 2007
    what i don't like is the greatest diameter, ends to ends' of the split pieces. i could see them being tighter and closer together. and the near rolled backwardness of the pieces. that much force, i would think, would cause a whole different outcome. i can dig the four pieces seeming to be very equal. i just don't buy this. easily all them rednecks could be in on this, from the website journal deal.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited April 2007
    Anyone want to buy a bridge? TAKE A LOOK AT HOW SMOOTH IT IS. Anyone ever see metal "explode" so smoothly? It looks more like something bigger than the diameter of the bore started at the tip, and worked its way back to the stock, and then mysteriously stopped. And nothing seems to be wrong with the action? If you believe this please send me your ssn, DOB, and all your cc #ers. :rolleyes:
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Nisqually Dave
    Nisqually Dave Posts: 220
    edited April 2007
    Actually it did it is the instant buildup of pressure behind it that causes the damage.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,160
    edited April 2007
    It didn't happen. I watched the Mythbusters episode and then I watched the episode where they revisited the myth. They busted the myth very convincingly. I'm not saying the Mythbusters are the absolute authority, but they even tried to rig it so it would happen and there is no way the pic in this thread is legit.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • read-alot
    read-alot Posts: 812
    edited April 2007
    Good to know it was a Savage, the other one I found in my search was a Sako. Those Sakos and Weatherbys are some fine but expensive pieces.
    polkaudio SRS (rdo194 x 8)
    Dodd ELP (separate power supply)
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo
    MIT (speaker cables) Outlaw (ICs)

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited April 2007
    I had some moron put live ammo in his M4 with a blank adapter installed...For those who don't know, the M4 is gas operated, so you need the adapter on the end of the barrel so it will have enough back pressure to move the bolt back and load the next round...The blanks have a WAY lower pressure than a ball round....Needless to say, it jammed the bolt back into the lower receiver, and the barrel blew out, but it really just bulged out along the bottom, not quite the spectacular display here...
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited April 2007
    I bet someone pissed their pants and is still shaking
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,668
    edited April 2007
    I've never seen a barrel split anywhere nearly that badly.

A bulge in the barrel, with a possible split at the point of bulge, would be much more likely.

If that guy had a wildcat load, he must have been using C4 or something equally exotic (and don't ask me how he'd get the C4 to detonate; I'm still having trouble with that barrel).
    Sal Palooza
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited April 2007
    I'm with the NO WAY crowd.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• read-alot
    edited April 2007
    I've never seen a barrel split anywhere nearly that badly.

Look at this one and you can say you have.

http://www.bpcr.net/site_photos/Sako-KA-BOOM/index.htm
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • Demiurge
    edited April 2007
    I wonder how many saying no way are even active shooters. :confused:

I've seen it at outdoor rifle and shotgun clubs before, so it can happen. The only thing I haven't seen is one that has exploded uniformly. So the potential of that happening is not a myth, no matter what Myth Busters says.
  • heiney9
    edited April 2007
    I wonder how many saying no way are even active shooters. :confused:

I've seen it at outdoor rifle and shotgun clubs before, so it can happen. The only thing I haven't seen is one that has exploded uniformly. So the potential of that happening is not a myth, no matter what Myth Busters says.

Certainly there would be some damage. What I am saying is the photo here IN THIS THREAD is not legit. I've seen barrels get that bannana peel look sort of but it was not uniform and it was less than 6 inches.

I'm not saying this type of damage is impossible, but it is rare and it very small and usually very irregular compared to the photo in THIS THREAD.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Demiurge
    edited April 2007
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Certainly there would be some damage. What I am saying is the photo here IN THIS THREAD is not legit. I've seen barrels get that bannana peel look sort of but it was not uniform and it was less than 6 inches.

I'm not saying this type of damage is impossible, but it is rare and it very small and usually very irregular compared to the photo in THIS THREAD.

H9

...and you know this how, exactly? We're you there and in on it? You're basically calling a forum full of gun enthusiasts liars. Not saying it couldn't be a hoax, but these aren't the type of people to make up stories. Just always funny hearing this from people I have never known we're into shooting for sport of competitively.
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited April 2007
    that is very true sports men don't lie, just ask your nearest fisherman about the one that got away. Sorry no disrespect meant. I didn't catch the whole story, but was every one on that forum there when it happened?
  • heiney9
    edited April 2007
    ...and you know this how, exactly? We're you there and in on it? You're basically calling a forum full of gun enthusiasts liars. Not saying it couldn't be a hoax, but these aren't the type of people to make up stories. Just always funny hearing this from people I have never known we're into shooting for sport of competitively.

Yes your right Demi, since I'm not an shooting enthusiast I must not know anything about physics or any of the other sciences associated with this phenomenon and I couldn't possibly make an informed opinion about this because I wasn't standing right there in the crowd of very honest upstanding sportsmen when it supposedly happened.

Sorry I commented when I obviously know nothing about anything. ;)

H9
  • Demiurge
    edited April 2007
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Yes your right Demi, since I'm not an shooting enthusiast I must not know anything about physics or any of the other sciences associated with this phenomenon and I couldn't possibly make an informed opinion about this because I wasn't standing right there in the crowd of very honest upstanding sportsmen when it supposedly happened.

Sorry I commented when I obviously know nothing about anything. ;)

H9

I think you're missing my point. I have stated my skepticism. You, however say this:

"What I am saying is the photo here IN THIS THREAD is not legit."

You don't know that.

Also, your science knowledge on this seems to rely on the show Myth Busters. :rolleyes:

Even if you really did watch that particular show, you'd notice it was labeled PLAUSIBLE.

From the show:

"The Build Team's test used a brand new rifle. The barrel split several inches when fired with a laser boresight in the barrel. The Build Team surmises that the banana-peel effect could be achieved if this were to happen in an older rifle that has endured more wear and tear from firings."
  • Demiurge
    edited April 2007
    that is very true sports men don't lie, just ask your nearest fisherman about the one that got away. Sorry no disrespect meant. I didn't catch the whole story, but was every one on that forum there when it happened?

Yeah, we often land lunkers at the range. Lying about guns...? :confused:
  • read-alot
    edited April 2007
    I have a theory, if the boresight expands to lock it's self into the barrel and the bullet went into those expansion slots then the equal peel of 4 slices could have started. Or the bullet itself had the split nose (I have seen them)
    that would do it.
    Speaking of shooting Demi, I have been a long gun shooter for many years and I have learned in life anythings possible. Those guys over at THR don't sound like a bunch that would lie about something as serious as that.
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo

B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • heiney9
    edited April 2007
    How about this:

It's my opinion that the photo in this thread in not legit.

Yes, I mentioned Mythbusters and I also have said a couple times it's plausible to get that effect to a certain degree. Yes, I took physics and have a college degree, blah, blah, blah. I've been around guns, certainly not a shooting enthusiast and certainly have never tried to do this particular experiment.

Bottom line is neither you nor I know if this photo is true or not. You choose to believe to a much higher degree than I do based on who posted it and the comments surrounding it that it be true. I don't buy into it.

H9
  • read-alot
    edited April 2007
    This is the bullet construction I was speaking of.

"PMC ammo using the Barnes X-Bullet. The X-Bullet is a unique solid-copper projectile. Because the bullet is one homogenous metal throughout, there is no lead core to separate from the jacket. It features a small-diameter, deep hollowpoint in the nose that will split into four distinct petals, which will expand until reaching the bottom of the hollow point. This leaves a long solid rear section to continue to drive the expanded bullet through the target"
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo

B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • dudeinaroom
    edited April 2007
    Like I said I meant no dis respect. Would you believe me if I told you I could pluck a dragonfly out of the air under 50 yards, or waste a bee off a branch at 30 with my .22, probably not, but I do have friends that can vouch for it. All I'm saying is I've heard too many fish..er..buck tails about the 350 lb 80 point buck that got away. I'm not saying that this did not happen, it's just highly unlikely. It also looks like the bullet went right threw the lazer sight which would likely not allow enough pressure to build for the barrel to total rip apart all the way down to the stock. I could see maybe four inches give or take, but the whole barrel? If you look at the pic the first four inches or so are bent a different direction then the rest of it, I'd expect uniform curling that would be more pronounced at the end, not less. But what do I know, I wasn't there so I would not no for sure, I'm just skeptical, and that's my opinion, no one has to like it or agree with it. Not being sarcastic or disrespectful. It could have happened I was just not there.

Later,
    dude
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited April 2007
    From the show:

"The Build Team's test used a brand new rifle. The barrel split several inches when fired with a laser boresight in the barrel. The Build Team surmises that the banana-peel effect could be achieved if this were to happen in an older rifle that has endured more wear and tear from firings."

From your OP: "Shiny new, high-powered deer rifle.............. $1200.00 "

:D
  • dudeinaroom
    edited April 2007
    read-alot wrote: »
    I have a theory, if the boresight expands to lock it's self into the barrel and the bullet went into those expansion slots then the equal peel of 4 slices could have started. Or the bullet itself had the split nose (I have seen them)
    that would do it.
    Speaking of shooting Demi, I have been a long gun shooter for many years and I have learned in life anythings possible. Those guys over at THR don't sound like a bunch that would lie about something as serious as that.

I could see that happening. I just wouldn't expect the it to be that bad. I saw the thread you linked to, and that thing looked like the the round had to detonate in the breach. Do you know the story on that one?
  • read-alot
    edited April 2007
    It also looks like the bullet went right threw the lazer sight which would likely not allow enough pressure to build for the barrel to total rip apart all the way down to the stock. I could see maybe four inches give or take, but the whole barrel? If you look at the pic the first four inches or so are bent a different direction then the rest of it, I'd expect uniform curling that would be more pronounced at the end, not less.

Later,
    dude

I can't see where the bullet went threw the sight. If you look closer at the four inches you speak of, the barrel expanded to cause a balloon before it started splitting. The sight according to those guys made it almost to the target 100 yards away.
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo

B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited April 2007
    As a gun enthusiast, and a hunter, I always thought the weak link is the bolt. I don't see any damage to the bolt, which I do seems odd. Why the damage only extends to the stock, it's not the stock but that's where the barrel starts to get thicker in diameter.

The only damage I have seen was back in military, live ammo and guys forgetting to remove the blocker that was used to splinter the wood on blanks. It's not sealed so that would be a different scenario. Rifle was ok, shooter and the blocker were not.
  • read-alot
    edited April 2007
    I could see that happening. I just wouldn't expect the it to be that bad. I saw the thread you linked to, and that thing looked like the the round had to detonate in the breach. Do you know the story on that one?

Bad barrel material from Sako, which surprises the heck out of me.
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo

B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2