Exploded Rifle

Demiurge
Demiurge Posts: 10,874
edited April 2007 in The Clubhouse
Here's a mistake you only need to make once.

Shiny new, high-powered deer rifle.............. $1200.00
Quality, high-powered scope........................ $ 550.00
Bore sighting device..................................... $ 140.00

Forgetting to remove the bore sighting device prior to shooting? Priceless!

SightIn.jpg
sightin1.jpg
sightin2.jpg
sightin3.jpg

Thank God it wasn't mine! :)
Post edited by Demiurge on

Comments

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited April 2007
    You know... they tried to do this on Mythbusters for an entire episode, and NEVER got a gun (though I think they exclusively used shotguns) to peel back like that, even after WELDING the end closed and purposefully weakening the barrel.

So I meet this picture with a bit of skepticism. :D
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited April 2007
    So how did the shooter make out in this?
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • Demiurge
    edited April 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    You know... they tried to do this on Mythbusters for an entire episode, and NEVER got a gun (though I think they exclusively used shotguns) to peel back like that, even after WELDING the end closed and purposefully weakening the barrel.

So I meet this picture with a bit of skepticism. :D

Yep, I know that they couldn't do it, but apparently :rolleyes: it's legit. Some guy posted it over at THR. Appears to be confirmed by some there. If it's a scam, a bunch of members there in good standing are in on it.
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited April 2007
    I think it's cool regardless :D
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited April 2007
    So they are tying to tell us that the material that has the least strength in that equation is the gun barrel...which starts out made from a solid rod of high alloy Chrome Molybdenum steel with a tensile strength in excess of 100,000 lb per square inch (which are designed with greater strength than the shotgun barrel Mythbusters were testing). They want everyone to believe that barrel will be split before the bore sighting device is detroyed and forced out. I don't thik so. Hoax!
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited April 2007
    agreed, hoax. I watched that mythbusters (pretty good show if there isn't much else on, BTW) and they didn't get results that were anything like that. No way would the barrel peel back that much, even if it did give away.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,711
    edited April 2007
    I don't buy it. Its too clean, too perfect. Four equal clean splits? No way.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • Demiurge
    edited April 2007
    I don't believe this either.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-N_jlF-sRqk"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-N_jlF-sRqk&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited April 2007
    Well met Demi:D
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Demiurge
    edited April 2007
    Well met Demi:D

Yes, thank you, think I'll go buy a zoot suit now.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,160
    edited April 2007
    On Mythbusters they used a couple rifles as well as shot guns and they just couldn't get it to do it like the pic. The used and old Calvary rifle and it somewhat exploded the barrel but that was because the material used way back then was very weak compared to today's material.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • read-alot
    read-alot Posts: 812
    edited April 2007
    It could be true.
    We had a guy in the race shop who loaded his own "wildcat" loads" one time misread the gram scale and exploded a rifle so bad that the wood stock splintered into his face and shoulder.
    polkaudio SRS (rdo194 x 8)
    Dodd ELP (separate power supply)
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo
    MIT (speaker cables) Outlaw (ICs)

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • bobman1235
    edited April 2007
    I don't think anyone questions whether a rifle can explode, but rather can it explode LIKE THAT, or anything even resembling that.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited April 2007
    It wouldn't be that perfect. At best it qould have bulged and cracked the barrel. The barrels are designed to handle all of the pressure from a normal load contained within the barrel (worst case scenario) with no chance of injury. Readalot: Was it the barrel or chamber that blew up? My guess is something in the chamber blew.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • bobman1235
    edited April 2007
    Wait, was the guy's name Elmer Fudd? In which case I retract any objections.
  • read-alot
    edited April 2007
    I didn't get to see it jd but you are probably right on with your guess.
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited April 2007
    fake!
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Demiurge
    edited April 2007
    read-alot wrote: »
    It could be true.
    We had a guy in the race shop who loaded his own "wildcat" loads" one time misread the gram scale and exploded a rifle so bad that the wood stock splintered into his face and shoulder.

That's what they're claiming. Not factory loads. Which I doubt MB was messing with.

Either way, knowing the cost of that rifle, it's one hell of an expensive stunt.

Having been around firearms for a very long time it is possible. The perfect look of the split is what's questionable for me. A number of things would have need to be exactly right, or wrong, as it were.
  • read-alot
    edited April 2007
    Did they say who made the rifle?
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo

B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • shack
    edited April 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Wait, was the guy's name Elmer Fudd? In which case I retract any objections.

Yeah...but that only works if Bugs sticks his finger in the barrel...not some bore sighting device! :rolleyes:

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • read-alot
    edited April 2007
    Looking at the way the bore sight peeled before it left the barrel it very possible could be true.
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo

B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • shack
    edited April 2007
    Or ties the barrel in a bow.....

CJLBAEHAF.jpg

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited April 2007
    There is no way that barrel banana peeled all the way back like that. I don't care if they were using triple loads in an aluminum barrel. When a barrel goes bad it just has a bulge, and a split in it. Even Damascus barrels don't "explode", they just separate. When there is a crack in the barrel the explosive gasses just vent out where it first split.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited April 2007
    c'mon fellas. it's easy to solve what happened here. it was cut with a saw. notice the barrel only splinters up the the stock and no further. you tellin' me the wood stock offers up that much reinforcement for the barrel to bring the rip to a stop?

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • Nisqually Dave
    Nisqually Dave Posts: 220
    edited April 2007
    This happens all the time, I have witnessed and I have been hit with shrapnel from this and still bare the scars from a shotgun blowing up. I have shot competition rifle and shotgun and 1000 yard benchrest where everything is pushed to the limit.

I saw mythbusters also and they just didn't do the right thing to get it to happen.

I have a friend who's shotgun blew up and got me, he had to have three fingers sewn back on. He still does not have full use of that hand.

As for the barrel split to where the barrel meets the stock that is exactly how most will split. I have also seen them split almost all the way back to the action. And I have seen them blown out the side and with some where they blew straight back and sheered the locking lugs.

Each barrel is tested and rated to certain pressures and has nothing to do with Size of the bullet Like a 45/70 at 19,000 lbs of pressure to a 223 (24 Caliber bullet) at 54,000 Pounds of pressure in the barrel.
  • BIZILL
    edited April 2007
    split that 'perfectly'? ........

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • BIZILL
    edited April 2007

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote:
  • read-alot
    edited April 2007
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo

B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited April 2007
    I would have thought the bore sight tool would have just shot out. Thats crazy.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • bobman1235
    edited April 2007
    I definitely stand corrected on this one.