Polk Forum before this one?

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2007
    Hey, at least Scott got 3 out of 4 stars for integrity.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,805
    edited April 2007
    TroyD wrote: »
    I'm trying to think if Nascarmann predated this version of the forum? I dunno.

Those were the supposed 'free' Monitor 10's if I remember correct that ended up costing Ron 100 bucks.

Trigg was a straight up thief. Har was a paranoid loser and Spyderman was in ignorant moron.
    BDT

Troy, isn't this the same nascarmann?

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/member.php?u=26477
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited April 2007
    OMG, Scott Trigg. George Grand and he had some real good times on here. I wonder how many people that scumbag Trigg has ripped off.

Harnavalta, now there is Doro's bestest buddy in the whole world. Many a thread were lit up by them going at it!

My good pal was Noballscoach (Ohballcoach) who locked in a deal with me for some FX1000's. I mailed a check to him only to get a phonecall from Hoosier saying he tried to sell them to him, even though we locked in the deal.

Jesus Russ, those old Polk homepages are probably making Justin throw up on his keyboard. Man, do I remember those webpages.

rskarvan and Hoosier, thanks for letting me know you still have those Carver CD's. That is way too cool! When I get home I'll post a photo of the original and some copies I still have from back then.

John
    No excuses!
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, that's the nascarmann. RIP, broham.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited April 2007
    If I remember right, MikeMcG and I met some of you original Polkies on our original "Excite" SDA sites we had running prior to the Polk Forums. These got started in '95 or '96 and we used to carry on discussions there before we had a "fancy" forum to go to. It was slowly but surely after the Polk site was up that the use for the private SDA sites were no longer needed and fell by the way side. The remaining one, (the last incarnation after the big change at Excite) is the one on Yahoo that has been left up. The membership lists for the two Excite clubs were among the papers I shredded this winter. Rats!
  • TroyD
    edited April 2007
    I remember the excite SDA sites. That was cool, heady stuff. WAY above my knowledge level at that point (and even probably now). However, everyone including Mike (who was known not to suffer fools) was exceedingly patient and generous with thier time and knowlegdge to folks with a real interest in learning more about audio.

Bob and Mike are the true, original standard-bearers for Polk in general and SDA in particular.

BDT
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited April 2007
    I love it. I had completely forgotten about Trigg being "awarded" 3 out of 4 stars for integrity. Like I said back then, "Hey, you can trust him 75% of the time." Then a couple weeks later it was 2 stars, then one, and then THAT little piggy had NONE!

Tedwick, you may be younger than Jesse and I, but I've seen your picture, and you've been eating better than the both of us combined.
  • BobMcG
    edited April 2007
    Hey G'Man,
    'member... Scotto had gotten the boot from the old private SDA sites too! He was trying to work his deals everywhere, and got caught everywhere. :D
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited April 2007
    Twinkle twinkle little star... how I wonder where my Shipments are????

Ok... I'm not the best judge of character. I admit it.

And, yes, those speakers were supposed to be free... Grrrr.
    Interesting thing though... every driver in both of those speakers has been replaced with new Polk OEM parts.
  • BobMcG
    edited April 2007
    Troy,
    You're too kind. There were a lot of really great people on the old sites. Man, I wished I had saved some of the stuff. I had printed out quite a few of the better discussions we had... but they're gone now. Some really good times though for sure. :)
  • TroyD
    edited April 2007
    Honestly though, at that time....none of the great unwashed had SDA nor knew a lot about it. Bob/Mike, Chuck, Wes, John and Hoosier, that was about it. Hell, I was VERY skeptical about SDA. Were it not for you guys, I probably would STILL be ignorant of SDA.

Compare that to now where EVERYONE has SDA's.....it's a very cool thing.

BDT
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited April 2007
    Hey... I had SDA's back then. Everyone forgets me.
  • TroyD
    edited April 2007
    ...and Ron. :D

BDT
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited April 2007
    I remember back then I was into power. At one point I had four 1800 watt amps, just to bi-amp the 1.2's. Now, I'm happy with a couple of tubes. Getting older and wiser I guess.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited April 2007
    I sure do remember Bob! He got booted off your site, then we got him booted off AudioKarma, and then badmouthed him so bad over at Carver that he only made one or two posts and abandoned ship.

He's probably made a million off e-prey, and a million red feedbacks too. At least he didn't make it off us.

Most of the guys and gals on this forum owing a BOATLOAD to the Bros. McG. is a very accurate statement.
  • BobMcG
    edited April 2007
    madmax wrote: »
    I remember back then I was into power. At one point I had four 1800 watt amps, just to bi-amp the 1.2's.

Anyone out there think "madmax" isn't appropriate? :p:D
  • RuSsMaN
    edited April 2007
    It is. A lot more appropriate than madmax001, which was his original handle.

I guess madmax0 through madmax000 were already taken.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • BobMcG
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, madmax001 just doesn't have the flavor of madmax. Kinda like the difference between Coke Zero and Coke. :)
  • Nisqually Dave
    Nisqually Dave Posts: 220
    edited April 2007
    Now If I could just remember by monicer from back then, I took over as President of my Gun Club in 1998, If you think that this equipment is expensive and addictive get involved in that. I feel like a recovering alcoholic and now my wife is threatening to pull the plug on my computer if I buy any more equipment. Russman did they keep a list of names back then and if so how do I get to it.

Nisqually Dave
  • RuSsMaN
    edited April 2007
    I'm working on it Dave, I think that's a long shot.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited April 2007
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited April 2007
    Strong Bad wrote: »
    I can't even remember when the old forum started.

There was alot of SDA chat with the McG brothers carrying the load. They were the authority around the old forum on that.

George Grand was lighting it up along with Hoosier. I just dug out some old copies of the "Carver Sonic Holography" CD I made copies of and mailed out to a bunch of people. I guess you could call that the early stages of forum "Karma." I still have the original CD by the way (circa 1988) stored away. I'll post a photo of it tonight.

I scored my SDA SRS 2.3's from local Baltimore member Tyrone Thompson (who hasn't been around here for years) back in 2000. I scored my Carver m1.5t amp from someone on here. Hoosier, was that you? I keep thinking it was.

Too long ago to remember names. I'm getting up there with Jesse. Mind is fading....

John

Tyrone's doing fine. I bought 2 pairs of crs + a few weeks ago from him.
    He promised to visit the forum as soon as he finishes moving.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited April 2007
    Ok, this is the best I've been able to get yet, right before the switch over.

Forum entry page - http://web.archive.org/web/20010223185745/clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forums/

You can only see 1 page of Techincal / Setup and 12 volt -
    http://web.archive.org/web/20010502213055/clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forums/technical/

http://web.archive.org/web/20010428014200/clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forums/infield/

Unfortunately, you cannot view the threads in tech - but you can for the infield. Still, you can see the 'old' format, as posts slowly got squeezed over to the side of the screen.....

Here is the main page a couple months after the switchover - how did we survive with FOUR forums?

http://web.archive.org/web/20010803155810/clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/

Memory lane, aint it GRAND? G. B. Grand to be exact (George's old handle)

Cheers,
    Russ
  • TroyD
    edited April 2007
    I can't open the links at work but, hell yeah. Memory lane ROCKS.

BDT
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited April 2007
    ESAVINON wrote: »
    Tyrone's doing fine. I bought 2 pairs of crs + a few weeks ago from him.
    He promised to visit the forum as soon as he finishes moving.

OMG! Please tell him John says hello. I want to catch up to him sometime in the near future. You said he is moving....is he still local to Baltimore?

I remember he got into car audio and tricked out his Dodge Durango, but I never got to see it.

Russ, hilarious man! The forum back then had 4 choices for forum topics. My oh my how it has grown!

John
    No excuses!
  • RuSsMaN
    edited April 2007
    The best I can tell, the forum started sometime between June 12, 1997 and Dec 11, 1997. 6/12/97 archive has no CP entrance or mention, 12/11/97 does, and refers to it as 'new'. There is no archive between those two dates.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • TroyD
    edited April 2007
    The actual switchover was pretty funny as well...

BDT
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited April 2007
    Strong Bad wrote: »
    OMG! Please tell him John says hello. I want to catch up to him sometime in the near future. You said he is moving....is he still local to Baltimore?

I remember he got into car audio and tricked out his Dodge Durango, but I never got to see it.

Russ, hilarious man! The forum back then had 4 choices for forum topics. My oh my how it has grown!

John

Yes he is. I drove down from ny to baltimore a few weeks ago. He's moving into an apartment. His house is for sale.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2007
    it's to bad we can't get our original sign up dates on here.. I know I must have begun around 1999 or 2000. because I think I remember us talking about Y2K :p alot
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Nisqually Dave
    Nisqually Dave Posts: 220
    edited April 2007
    Did you see where back then to be on the forum you had to have Polk equipment. It was pretty restrictive, but they trashed Bose even worse then than now.

It was quite fun back then, I remember that was when everyone was trying to figure out how to get a get together where everyone could come.