pitbull dogs

danger boy
danger boy Posts: 15,722
edited April 2007 in The Clubhouse
Ok, here where I live as I suspect most other places around the country.. we have had a few attacks by pitbull dogs attacking people. two of them took down a full size race horse.. it was so badly chewed up. it had to be put down. It was sad... the race horse had won over 20 races in it's time.. it was in retirement now.. being cared for by a retired couple. they are so sad that they lost their champion race horse.

I don't really have a question, ohter than I hear pit bulls were bred to kill back thruout history. I know not ALL pitbulls are aggressive or dangerous.. but how many times have you seen or heard of another breed of dog taking down a 1300 pound horse?

Ok, i'm done now. Let er rip.
PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
Post edited by danger boy on

Comments

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited April 2007
    How many times have we heard of pitbulls taking down horses? Once, just now, from you.
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited April 2007
    I'm a little disturbed by pitbulls taking down the horse. . .

but, at the same time, I'm strangely kind of impressed. Like in Anchor Man when Baxter ate the whole wheel of cheese.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited April 2007
    Every pit bull should be shot dead.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2007
    So should every old cranky dude with stiff hair. ;)

Back in the 90's, I thought the whole 'thing' with Pit Bulls would pass. Kind of like the big Doberman and Rottie scares. People used to think all Dobermans should be put down, it was just a violent breed. I'd like to see some actual data, on how many Pit Bull attacks there are vs other dog attacks / bites. Are the PBT attacks just published because they can be / are so violent - where as a dog bite / nip isn't really newsworthy? Maybe they are a violent breed by nature.

Heck, there were a lot of scares centered around certain breeds - Chow Chows, Malamutes, Akitas and I even think Boxers.

The PBT is the only one that just won't seem to go away........ It just keeps happening, again and again. Makes me wonder.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited April 2007
    Was the race horse old and sick? Did he have some kind of nervous condition? If not, seems like he should have been able to kick the **** out of the dogs.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited April 2007
    I have a pitbull named maggie and a golden named sami. Maggie is a pound dog and is so overly aggressive that the people in the pound had her k9 teeth filed down so if she ever bit someone it would not puncture anything.

Sami is about the nicest dog you could ever meet. He's very well tempered and the vet though he had worms as a puppy because he was so calm even when they were giving him shots.

When maggie first moved in, she was a complete **** to sam. She'd attack him for no reason and just be a general alpha dog bully. One day I was playing frisbee with sam and maggie tried to take his frisbee. He beat the **** out of her in no time. She's never tried to push him around again. It only took her one try to figure out that his 40 lb weight advantage was too much for her to over come, even being the nasty pitbull she is.

I hate pitbulls and I would never ever own one. I've never encountered one I liked or that didn't have some hint of aggression.

I'm glad I have a 90lb golden instead of a small dog who could actually get mauled by one of these dogs.
  • PolkThug
    edited April 2007
    Airplay355 wrote: »
    I have a pitbull named maggie...

I hate pitbulls and I would never ever own one.

???:confused:
  • PolkThug
    edited April 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    The PBT is the only one that just won't seem to go away........ It just keeps happening, again and again. Makes me wonder.

Also, people are quick to label multiple breeds of dogs as "pitbulls".
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited April 2007
    PolkThug wrote: »
    ???:confused:

x2.....
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • PolkThug
    edited April 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    Maybe they are a violent breed by nature.

Negative.
    http://www.atts.org/stats1.html
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited April 2007
    danger boy wrote: »
    but how many times have you seen or heard of another breed of dog taking down a 1300 pound horse?

Several years back, here at Golden Gate Park in San Francisco, a pitbull got loose from its owner and attempted to attack a police horse. The horse got scared, thrown the police officer down onto the ground, and started running wildly through the park. The pitbull followed....until another police officer shot and wounded the pitbull. Both the police horse and its human partner were OK.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,480
    edited April 2007
    The problem with most problem dogs is the owner.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited April 2007
    Most every story I have ever heard about them the owners say they can't believe it happened because "name here" was always the most gentle animal we had ever seen. They seem to be psycho pets.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Airplay355
    edited April 2007
    It's not really my dog, she just lives here. It's my mom's fiance's dog, I guess I should have specified.

I will never own one.

The pitbull that lives up the street got into a fight with maggie, they just torn eachother apart for a while. Then that same pitbull ran out of the house and killed our neighbors cat.

They are not nice dogs.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2007
    Guys...this breed isnt much worse than most other breeds out there. But why do people get pit bulls? To make them mean...

Its not the dog, its the owner.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited April 2007
    Here's a hypothetical, your cornered in an alley by a bad **** pit bull with no weapons at your disposal. How do you defend yourself?
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited April 2007
    I agree wtih Cody. Most dogs that are "mean" are mean because they are trained to be. Most people who buy a pit bull buy them for home defense or other reasons, and thus train them to be killers. They're probably GOOD at it by nature, but that doesn't mean they have to be MEAN by nature.

My dad's dog I think is part pit bull part boxer, and she's a really sweet and friendly dog.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2007
    say "Come here boy" and scratch his belly.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited April 2007
    Any dog of any bred can be Alfa aggressive. Most dog clubs breed away from aggressive dogs and ****. Either a dog or the owner is Alfa not both.

engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited April 2007
    I have had 5 pitts. They are great dogs if raised right.The problemis people train them to be mean. It's like teaching a body builder to fight. They will give there all at anything they do. So if you raise it to be mean it will be mean with every ounce of heart and soul it has. they are not dogs for unexperenced owners.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • Airplay355
    edited April 2007
    It's a shame that people do that and the breed catches a bad rap. I still wouldn't want to own one. I'm a fan of goldens for life.
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited April 2007
    F1nut wrote: »
    Every pit bull should be shot dead.

Not really, most Pit owners and breeders train this breed to be aggressive and trained to kill/fight as such. I have relatives that breed fighters, and they are ferocious. Loyal to the owners but anything outside of that they will rip you a new a$$. It all ends up to how they are handled. I was into Rotties for awhile, my two were sent to obedient school and trained to of course protect me. I have since then grew out of that, but again it all leads to how they are trained. May God be with you if a pit or a rottie pins you on the ground, unless you carrying of course.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited April 2007
    wallstreet wrote: »
    Here's a hypothetical, your cornered in an alley by a bad **** pit bull with no weapons at your disposal. How do you defend yourself?

Try to calm the dog, saying sit or some other command it may understand. Show no fear, if it attacks, I would fight it as if it were a grown man and stomp the **** out of it.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited April 2007
    I have never owned a pit, but as far as a dog taking down a1300 pound horse, the Bulldog. Bulldogs were bred as sporting dogs over the last few centuries and were put against bulls. Sometimes one or dog more than one would be put against a 2000lb+ Bull. The bulldog is low enough to avoid the bulls horns, yet strong enough to wear down the bull and just hang on.

The bulldogs that were bred for this are not the English bulls you see today. They are now very tame and overly bred so that they are very sluggish and "lazy", though docile for children. I have a Victorian Bulldog, 75% English, 25% American, these were reintroduced recently to bring back the sporting bulldogs from years ago. They are still built like an English, yet are taller and more athletic. Can run fast and jump high. Not good for my speakers :( Here is a thread with his pic:
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38421&highlight=bulldog
    V
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited April 2007
    Airplay355 wrote: »
    It's a shame that people do that and the breed catches a bad rap. I still wouldn't want to own one. I'm a fan of goldens for life.

They are great dogs. Smart and Loyal
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited April 2007
    What would I do? Well, since you asked...

I haven't been around pitbulls that much at all, but it's my (mis?)understanding that they're not very fast. If I can see that's true and the alley's sufficiently wide, I'd run around it, and hopefully it'd tire of chasing me before I tired of running. 'Cause if I tired before it did...it'd then have the upper hand when we 'met'.

If I couldn't/didn't want to run, then face it. I would at all costs (try to) avoid being bitten. I guess that means dance around it as much as possible, avoiding the head end. As long as it wouldn't put my leg near his mouth, I could foresee kicking it a lot.

I could also foresee trying to strangle it. But that'd probably be a really big neck to get your hands around.

Basically, I guess, avoiding the mouth, staying alert, and not giving up would be the main things, no?

Now, somone disillusion me that I could actually handle a pitbull! :p
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Airplay355
    edited April 2007
    When My mom's fiance's pitbull got in a fight with the other pitbull up the street I eventually just reached in and grabbed mine by the neck and threw her down the street. They are not very big, but they are muscular. She probably weighs about 60 lbs so picking her up is absolutely no problem at all. They are strong, but they aren't THAT strong....atleast she isn't.
  • PolkThug
    edited April 2007
    MSALLA wrote: »
    I have had 5 pitts. They are great dogs if raised right.

Yeah, but didn't they try to steal babies and kill livestock? :D
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited April 2007
    All dogs can be dangerous. My wife is a realtor. She's very leary of
    "friendly Dogs" that are at most houses. The owners always think their dog
    would never hurt anyone. Just come into that house when the owner's not home and find out how friendly they are.
    Some dogs by breed are ill tempered, like dalmations.
    Others are fairly laid back. Still, training and environment can change that.
    But the truth is, some dogs are much more capable of inflicting great harm
    than others. A pit bull is one of those dogs. When they attack, it's seldom
    a minor injury. I, for one , would not own one just for the liability.
    That also includes Rottweilers and Akitas.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited April 2007

You use your head!!!