pitbull dogs

2»

Comments

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited April 2007
    wallstreet wrote: »
    Here's a hypothetical, your cornered in an alley by a bad **** pit bull with no weapons at your disposal. How do you defend yourself?

I would try to mount it and establish dominance.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited April 2007
    F1nut wrote: »
    Every pit bull should be shot dead.
    x Eleventeen Brazillion!
    A breed that should be wiped from the planet.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited April 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    I'd like to see some actual data, on how many Pit Bull attacks there are vs other dog attacks / bites.

The data according to THIS research says that the Pit Bull by a huge margin has the most serious attacks...Granted, the person who compiled the list has a disclaimer that this is just the attacks that were reported or published. Still there is a pretty clear pattern.

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/Dog%20Attacks%201982%20to%202006%20Clifton.pdf
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited April 2007
    I fostered a abused female pit that was one of the kindest dogs on earth.....Talk about gentle giant....I could reach into her food dish if I wanted to....God help the poor sob who tried to break into the house though, her kennel was moved across the room and was upside down after that. I think that she was the exception though. It was a shame that she got adopted so quick....I really liked the fact that none of the kids around here walked through my yard on the way home from school.:D
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2007
    take this for what it's worth. but since I'm in the media.. the local county animal shelter said that pit bull attacks were NOT at the top of the list... it was some other breed, like a lab. It stuck me as odd, but that's what they said.

Overall though.. the attacks/bites from pit bulls were more severe.

the two pitbulls that brought down this horse were put down themselves. Whenever a dog attacks a person or animal, the owner must then provide $250,000 in liability insurance before their dog will be returned to them. Most don't of course, and their agressive pet is put down.

Here is my take. Dogs like people can show agression at any time.. whether they were bred that way or not. Yes, SOME pitbull dog owners do in fact teach their dogs to be agressive.

I would never own a pitbull with a small child in the house. Never.

Until you've taken pictures of a 3 yr old child that has been mauled by a pitbull, you really haven't seen what kind of damage they can do. trust me, it's horrific. This little girl so far has had 7 surgerys to repair her face and ear that was chewed off.

I am just venting. I don't dislike responsible pet owners.. they can have any kind of pet/dog they desire. But when their pet pitbull kills my cat or mauls the neighbor horse or child.. that's where something has to be done.

We have ton's of pitbulls in this city. You go into any neighborhood and encounter a pitbullm they are everywhere.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited April 2007
    The result of pitbull attacks that I've read about end in serious injury or death. Kids unfortunately are attacked like rag dolls. Most all dogs bite but I've never heard of other breeds mercilessly attacking in destroy mode.
    ..I could reach into her food dish if I wanted to....

Getting your pet "food dish -- hand tame" is a very good tip for most pets that builds socialization, trust and your place as the dominant one.
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited April 2007
    PolkThug wrote: »
    Yeah, but didn't they try to steal babies and kill livestock? :D

Only on sundays. We give them the rest of the week off. Babies don't bring the kind of money they used to.

I see alot of posts on here from people that know NOTHING about the breed. Alot of dog attacks are done by mutts and called pitts because it get attention in the news or people think they look like pitts.
    There are dogs that are much more dangerous to people then pitts. I'd be more worried about a shephard coming at me or a rotti then a pitt.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited April 2007
    A lot of valid points here, but FWIW...
    my only encounters with pit bulls have shown me that they are lovable, excitable galoots and friendly to the Nth degree.

I really believe it's in how they are raised. First time I was introduced to a friend's pit, I was scared sh*tless. Turned out be one of the friendliest dogs I've ever chanced upon. Dare I say, "cute"?
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • PolkThug
    edited April 2007
    First it was German Shepherds, then Dobermans, then Rottweilers and now "pit bulls". Next will be the Tosa Inu which were developed in Japan for arena fighting.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited April 2007
    Put me in the camp of bad owners moreso than bad dogs.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited April 2007
    PolkThug wrote: »
    I would try to mount it and establish dominance.

Pthug... why is that your answer for everything?:D
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • PolkThug
    edited April 2007
    This is Harley. The great city of Overland Park, KS has decided that he needs to be killed since he is part "pitbull". It doesn't matter that this dog has been professionally trained by Greg Oberhelman at the Triune Training Academy, pitbull hysteria has trumped logic. How would you feel if Harley was your dog that you nurtured since he was a puppy (he is 3 1/2 now)?
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited April 2007
    danger boy wrote: »
    take this for what it's worth. but since I'm in the media.. the local county animal shelter said that pit bull attacks were NOT at the top of the list... it was some other breed, like a lab. It stuck me as odd, but that's what they said.

I could see this, as Labs happen to be one of, if not the most popular house pet.....It makes sense because there are so damn many of them...
    TroyD wrote: »
    Put me in the camp of bad owners moreso than bad dogs.

BDT

I completely agree here....I have seen some nasty stuff while doing this in-home foster care for the humane society.....I had one that had a collar embedded in her neck at one point, and it took a good 15 minutes just to get the damn thing on so she could go outside....She never got aggressive, just would run into her crate or into a corner...Then she would pee if you cornered her......It took about three months to break her of that....The little guy I have now took about four months to stop freezing in place and peeing whenever there was a loud noise or I raised my voice in the house.......I can only imagine what these poor animals have gone through... Here's a pic of the recent little guy I've got, he's a Rot/Terrier mix....Imagine how that started.:D

He is on the right....The other dog is from the same litter, only she is a barrel chested terrier..It looked like she had a shrunken head...

DSC_0396-1.jpg
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited April 2007
    Its all in how a dog is raised. However, the pit bull "stereotype" has existed for quite some time. This unfortunately means there are bad owners out there who go and get a pit bull because they want a "mean" or "tough" dog for the image or whatever. Unfortunately, those are also usually the types of people who do a very poor job in training the dog or even worse, train them to be vicious.

I do think, however, that each breed has certain characteristics which are not absolute, but do typify the breed. And certainly a dog's natural agressiveness is in part affected by its breed. There are always exceptions to the rule, and of course, how its raised is the ultimate catalyst.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited April 2007
    I'm a big fan or dogs, and while I have never owned Pit Bulls, I have owned Wolf Hybrids -- so I have done a ton of research into aggressive breeds, which Pit Bulls most definitely are.

Pit Bulls have a more aggressive nature across the board just due to breeding practices over time. Some people have bred them to be more vicious than others -- yes, a lot of it is in the genes.

There are some Wolf Hybrids that are bred to have a more wild nature to them, or what we would term as aggressiveness, than others. The same is true for Pit Bulls.

That said, many aren't bred that way. It goes both ways.

Once you get past the breeding, you need the right person raising/training them as well. Lots of people have no clue how to raise an animal, let alone a Pit Bull -- which are a more difficult breed to train than others.

It's easy to say all dogs are dangerous, but that's really a bit of an overreaction. My Golden Retriever would lick you to death if you were robbing my house. He has been trained well to not be aggressive. He's not a guard dog. Sure, if you do things to cause his survival instincts to kick in it's going to happen. Is that the dogs fault? No, certainly not. The same is true for humans, we'll do incredible things in dire situations.

My feelings on this issue are mixed. I don't believe they should be banned, but I do believe the dog owners should be held responsible for the actions of their animal. I think that's a fair comprimise. I don't like the idea that someone elses rights end where another's rights begin. There is risk all over the place in any society.
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited April 2007
    The laws regarding dog attacks definitely do need to be more clearly defined. Just recently here in Texas an ederly woman gardening in her front yard was killed by her neighbors 3 pit bull mixes. He was found not guilty/liable for her death mostly due to the lack of clarity currently with state laws. That's just unacceptable.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited April 2007
    I have a mixed breed. He is half Black Lab, half Border Collie and he is as sweet and as gentle and incredibly smart. I brought him up from a puppy.

Let a dog walk by the house and the hair on the scruff of his neck stands up and he goes berserk. I've had him out for a walk many times and when approached by another dog he goes like a crazy rabid dog. He has been in dog fights in the past because his leash slipped out of my wife's grasp.

He behaves in a similar manner when he sees a squirrel (really or on tv, the same with dogs) or a rabbit outside.

I didn't train him this way it seems like instinct.

Most people that come into my home he is very very friendly and lovey dovey with then on the other hand he has shown dislike towards others. The only thing that I can put together on that one is that the bigger or louder the person the longer it takes him to warm up to them.

Go figure. So back to pitbulls. My dog has taken on pit bulls and came out without a scratch, I was shitting myself but he came out without a scratch infact, he attacked the pitbull!!!!

My friend has a pit and she is very very aggressive when you first go into the home. . . she has gotten to know me now so once I start talking to her she rolls over on her back like a **** waiting to have her belly scratched.

I don't see pit bulls in any different light than any other dog but what I hear on the news makes me think they are monsters. . . that's the news for you.

As far as taking the food from my dog. If you walkover while he is eating and take his food away he does nothing but if you make your hand like a claw and slowly approach with the claw hand he'll start growling , I taught him that teasing him. So what does this all mean to me? It means that a good owner usually has a good mild mannered dog but there are things in dogs that we humans just don't get that being said every dog has the potential of being dangerous.

My .02.
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited April 2007
    I have a mixed breed. He is half Black Lab, half Border Collie and he is as sweet and as gentle and incredibly smart.

A bit off topic, but would you happen to have a picture of your dog? We have a dog that my fiancee got from the ASPCA and I've always argued that he's a border collie/lab mix. Smartest dog I've ever met, he actually taught our neighbors child how to read.

I'd also be interested in shots of a **** waiting to get her belly scratched, but that's really off topic.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited April 2007
    strider wrote: »
    I'd also be interested in shots of a **** waiting to get her belly scratched, but that's really off topic.

I shoot pictures of them all the time at the club. :D
    No excuses!
  • hearingimpared
    edited April 2007
    strider wrote: »
    A bit off topic, but would you happen to have a picture of your dog? We have a dog that my fiancee got from the ASPCA and I've always argued that he's a border collie/lab mix. Smartest dog I've ever met, he actually taught our neighbors child how to read.

This is Moose!!! He just had a grooming when that picture was taken so his coat is tighter than it usually looks. It is usually long.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2007
    i'm not anti pitbull, but i think if a owner is going to teach their dog to be aggressive.. they should have a muzzle on it when around other humans or animals. A muzzle for a medium sized dog is only $21.99 a small price to pay to keep your animal safe and other people too.

But sadly, very few pet owners will put a muzzle on their dog.

I tried on my cat... she didn't like it. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! :p;)

Joe, that is one cute looking dog. reminds me of my dog Huddles when i was growing up.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • hearingimpared
    edited April 2007
    danger boy wrote: »
    i'm not anti pitbull, but i think if a owner is going to teach their dog to be aggressive.. they should have a muzzle on it when around other humans or animals. A muzzle for a medium sized dog is only $21.99 a small price to pay to keep your animal safe and other people too.

But sadly, very few pet owners will put a muzzle on their dog.

I tried on my cat... she didn't like it. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! :p;)

Joe, that is one cute looking dog. reminds me of my dog Huddles when i was growing up.

He gets his looks from his mother!!!! LOL