The B*tch is Serious!

124»

Comments

• bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    edited April 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    I believe in God and I believe the Bible is the written word of God. 1,500 years of history in 66 books written by 40 very different people who all had interaction with God.

Yes, I have faith in that and realize others don't.

And I respect your faith Demiurge.

You seem like a good guy. And it appears that your past assumptions of bike racers may be correct in that most of the pro's in cycling in Europe have taken dope.

I however don't share your faith that some men had interaction with God.

Which men did and which men didn't have this interaction?

How do know for sure if any did?

Religion has always been about power and money, ask Galileo or the women from Salem or the crusades. It would be nice for me if I had this faith in these men interactioning with God but it's just not there.

Peace
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited April 2007
    bikezappa wrote: »
    Demiurge

I think there were many more than 5 men raped by priests in just the Boston area. The catholic church just a few years ago settled with more than 20 people in the Boston area.

C'mon, I'm banging my head against a brick wall here.

I was trying to show you some perspective. In 2004 there were 1.114 Billion Catholics in the entire world.

Do you think even 1/10 of 1% are rapists or support rapists?

The answer to the question doesn't really require a response, becuase the answer is no.
    I also think there were many people involved who moved the rapests all around the area for 40 years. In Boston the head of the church cardinal Law had to resign because he was responsible with moving the rapests from location to location. The person who did the moving around was McCormik who worked directly for Law who is still working at the cathilic church.

Then he should be prosecuted for any crimes he committed. Am I missing your point here? I've never denied that a person who was prosecuted in a court of law should go to jail, and should not be excommunicated.

No being a Catholic, I still have no trouble recognizing that the Catholic church and it's leadership isn't full of rapists or rapist apologists. There have been some as you have noted above, but how exactly does this implicate 1.114 Billion people.....? :confused:
    Let me try to explain it another way. Suppose there was a universal organization of gym teachers for our gramma schools. And suppose you as a father found out that your son was raped by the gym teacher. You go to the school to complain and they deny any rapes took place, but the gym teacher goes away. You later find out many years later that the same gym teacher has raped children in 5 other schools and he was moved every time. Also that this gym teacher has been sent to thearapy by the schools and that he gets moved to schools that deal with only young children not to high school where the stundents aren't children. Also that this same moving game has happened to other gym teachers in other parts of the country.

What would you think about the people that ran the gym or school?

Well, it's pretty simple.

You deal with the people involved within your organization by removing them. If they were not removed, but merely moved around, you remove the person who moved them. Then the local municipalities/state/federal prosecuters prosecute any crimes that took place, and you do damage control within your organization -- then you move on.

I have made no contention that the Catholic church has or is free from abuse by it's members. I have made no contention that those involved should be punished in a court of law where applicable and that the church should remove the individuals involved.

We're dealing with a lot of facts in some cases and nothing more than a lot of accusations in others. It seems to me you've chosen to lump them all in together. If you're Catholic all of a sudden you don't deserve any due process, and aren't privy to the presumption of innocence until proven guilty in a court of law?

Hey, back to the double standard again.

You're right that the Catholic church has it's black marks on it, but I don't think a few bad apples spoils the bunch. I'm sure they realize that it's the perception, but unfortunately perception isn't always reality, and it's definitely not here.
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited April 2007
    I think if Hillary Clinton runs for President, I will have been effectively forced to vote Republican.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited April 2007
    Why? She wants socialized medicine, she wants income redistribution, she wants to punish the successful and have America only succeed if everyone else does. Those feelings seem right up your ally?
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited April 2007
    I believe in God and I believe the Bible is the written word of God. 1,500 years of history in 66 books written by 40 very different people who all had interaction with God.

Yes, I have faith in that and realize others don't.

I however don't share your faith that some men had interaction with God.

Which men did and which men didn't have this interaction?

How do know for sure if any did?

It would be nice for me if I had this faith in these men interactioning with God but it's just not there.

Peace

I would suggest opening up a new thread to discuss this because speaking of the Bible in a thread started about Hilary is a bit silly unless you’re talking about the Book of Revelation… I’m just kidding…

You claim to have faith in what he said (Bible is the written word of God) yet you claim you have no belief that man has had interaction with God… That can only mean you have no faith\belief in what the Bible says in the New or the Old Testament. The Holy Trinity must really throw you for a loop.

Not an attack dude, just pointing out an inconsistency, that’s all.
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited April 2007
    m00npie wrote: »
    You claim to have faith in what he said (Bible is the written word of God) yet you claim you have no belief that man has had interaction with God…

He didn't say that, it was part of the text quoted from Demiurge. He said he respects his faith. :)
  • m00npie
    edited April 2007
    Thanks for the correction Sami. I thought I saw the end quote in there somewhere. I should read more carefully next time.

My apologies bikezappa.
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited April 2007
    jdhdiggs,

How can you live in York, PA (practically the birth-place of UAW-based Harley Davidson) and be such a Republican?
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited April 2007
    ESAVINON wrote: »
    How can you as a tourist gauge the condition of a city?

dude, I live 15 minutes from the city, I've been there more then as a tourist, do you think I live in California?!?!?...LOL
    Regardless of how much you visit a given city, the success of a rezoned/redeveloped 42st does not mean that crime in the whole city was down.

your right, the crime stats mean nothing, murder and rape rates down across a majority of the city mean nothing, I'm not gonna argue, cause I know I'm not going to change your view.
    You had to live in ny during his tenure to see all he did. You had to work under him as a public employee to see how he treated his subordinates.
    I am a new yorker, i live in ny.I worked in the worst parts of the city in during his tenure.

I'll concede that while calling me a tourist a stretch, your more in the NY trenches than I am. Have to concede that point, and it is duly noted.
    When rudy took over crime was already heading down. It was dinkins with the help of the federal govt that instituted change within the nypd.
    Rudy took credit for it all because it was during his reignship that the stats became available. Dinkins made alot of positive changes mainly to the public hospitals, the fire dept and nypd. Rudy polarized the city.

If its worth it to you, I'm gonna have to see WAY more on that to even believe it. About the only thing I saw Dinkins do effectivly was sweat like a **** in church :D Based on your word alone, you would have a better chance of convincing me that the Irish hate pototatos. Dont take that as an insult, it really isnt meant to come off that way.

Remember the washignton heights riots? or diallo? how about the crown heights riots? Ask any minority within nyc about rudy giuliani.
    Ask them how rudy with his biased views affected their lives.

uh......dude? I think other mayors had there riots to deal with. By the way, how the hell was Diallo Rudy's fault. That was a police incident that could have hapenned under any mayor. I dont think Rudy had a specific policy to shoot minorites on site.

Of course, I would say that when cops say to not move, then not moving would be prudent course of action, but thats a WHOLE other argument for another day and thread

If your argument is that the City was not better after Rudy left than when he got it, then I just dont feel your argument.

I think I'm going to pretend you didnt try to blame the city's improvement on Dinkins. If I had a choise to only have either Dinkins or Carter as our next president, I would actually take Carter in a heartbeat. might be my last heartbeat though :)
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited April 2007
    In 2004 there were 1.114 Billion Catholics in the entire world.

1.114 Billion people.....? :confused:

Demi I agree with 95% of what you have written however that 1.114 Billion that you've stated is not Catholic, it is Christian which is a combination of Catholic Christians & other denominational or nondenominational Christians! I don't know where that figure came from but it is wrong. Being Christian is far from being Catholic.:) Again I feel the need to say this, I am not putting down any Catholics. My wife is Catholic, my younger son is being raised Catholic. . .my older son has followed in my steps of using the Bible as our spiritual guide not some man made religion.

BZ what you said earlier about your beliefs, you said the key word and that word is FAITH. I have faith that those 66 books in the Bible are written by human beings with the inspirational hand of God.

PS: and rskarvan I'm not answering for jdhdiggs but I grew up in one of the most blue collar cities in the world Philly, my father was in the teachers union and I smartened up and became a card carrying Republican. I could give you dozens of reasons why and it would probably start a real feud so I won't but I was brought up to believe that Democrates were for the people. I found out as I got into my 20s that that is a bunch of BULL!!!.
  • Demiurge
    edited April 2007
    If I recall correctly, when Rudy was running for the job they said he was nuts. They said it was the mess nobody could clean up....well, ummm...he laid the ground work to get the job done, and he and the people that surrounding him did it.

He took measures I don't really agree with, but I can't argue with results.

Also, New York relies a hell of a lot on tourism, it's not even close to the be all and end all for that city, but even if a person is a tourist -- I think I'd pay attention to how they perceive your city.

Milwaukee is a cess pool of violence. I woke from a dead sleep to the sound of an entire clip being unleashed, subsequent screams, and tires squeeling away at 2 AM about a week ago. I live in a pretty yuppie/college part of town right now.

You might say it's a rare occurance, but it's not. I'm out of here in about 4 months. The crime statistics do matter in a city, but the perception of outsiders matters even more. If I'm a resident and I'm moving out, how bad do you think outsiders view my city?
  • Demiurge
    edited April 2007
    Demi I agree with 95% of what you have written however that 1.114 Billion that you've stated is not Catholic, it is Christian which is a combination of Catholic Christians & other denominational or nondenominational Christians! I don't know where that figure came from but it is wrong. Being Christian is far from being Catholic.:) Again I feel the need to say this, I am not putting down any Catholics. My wife is Catholic, my younger son is being raised Catholic. . .my older son has followed in my steps of using the Bible as our spiritual guide not some man made religion.

BZ what you said earlier about your beliefs, you said the key word and that word is FAITH. I have faith that those 66 books in the Bible are written by human beings with the inspirational hand of God.

It's not wrong:

http://cara.georgetown.edu/bulletin/index.htm

But even if it was, does the point not stand? It's a lot of effin' people compared to a few bad apples.
  • jdhdiggs
    edited April 2007
    rskarvan wrote: »
    jdhdiggs,

How can you live in York, PA (practically the birth-place of UAW-based Harley Davidson) and be such a Republican?

I think you answered your own question.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • hearingimpared
    edited April 2007
    It's not wrong:

http://cara.georgetown.edu/bulletin/index.htm

But even if it was, does the point not stand? It's a lot of effin' people compared to a few bad apples.
    The sources for this information include The Official Catholic Directory, the Vatican's Annuarium Statisticum Ecclesiae (ASE), and other CARA research and databases. All data are cross checked as much as possible. For the U.S, the numbers reported here include only figures for those 195 dioceses or eparchies who belong to the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops. This includes the 50 states, the District of Columbia, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and all U.S. military personnel stationed overseas.

This is an excerpt from the site you posted, all Catholic sources!!! But you are correct about the point standing.
  • m00npie
    edited April 2007
    Milwaukee is a cess pool of violence. I woke from a dead sleep to the sound of an entire clip being unleashed, subsequent screams, and tires squeeling away at 2 AM about a week ago. I live in a pretty yuppie/college part of town right now.

I did some work up there last year close to Miller Park. I asked the locals at the client that I wanted to go downtown after work to site see. They all said at once.... DON'T! I quickly made arrangements to stay about 10 miles west of the city. You have a nice Ball park though. The day after opening day I got tickets 2 rows above the 3rd base dugout... That would never happen in the Bronx.

What was this thread about again???? Oh yeah, Hillary. Some have said that most people will vote based on beliefs therefore handing the election the Democrats by not voting for Rudy. I think this would be true for any Dem candidate other than Hillary. In fact... and I'm going to go out on a limb here... NY, yes, NY State would be a swing state in the 08 election. Ok, I'm dreaming but it is a good dream. I really do think the margin of victory would be significantly less. For once, the Dems would probably lose Westchester & Nassau counties around the city.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited April 2007
    jdhdiggs wrote: »
    she wants to punish the successful and have America only succeed if everyone else does.

Then she better start with herself. Perhaps giving away the $36 million she's otherwise going to waste trying to get elected president would be a good start.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited April 2007
    ohskigod wrote: »
    dude, I live 15 minutes from the city, I've been there more then as a tourist, do you think I live in California?!?!?...LOL

Where in jersey do you live? What is you profession if you don't mind me asking?

your right, the crime stats mean nothing, murder and rape rates down across a majority of the city mean nothing, I'm not gonna argue, cause I know I'm not going to change your view.

I'm not that inflexible.

I'll concede that while calling me a tourist a stretch, your more in the NY trenches than I am. Have to concede that point, and it is duly noted.

No insult intended.

If its worth it to you, I'm gonna have to see WAY more on that to even believe it. About the only thing I saw Dinkins do effectivly was sweat like a **** in church :D Based on your word alone, you would have a better chance of convincing me that the Irish hate pototatos. Dont take that as an insult, it really isnt meant to come off that way.

None taken.
    Changes where started during his administration. These changes where forced upon him by the federal govt in particular by the fbi and a newly formed agency called the joint taskforce which comprised of the fbi,nypd,and other federal agencies.I never stated it was his ideas simply that these changes where started during his administration by the ederal govt.

uh......dude? I think other mayors had there riots to deal with. By the way, how the hell was Diallo Rudy's fault. That was a police incident that could have hapenned under any mayor. I dont think Rudy had a specific policy to shoot minorites on site.

He gave free reign to nypd to use and abuse their authority.
    Believe me i had to deal with it all.

Of course, I would say that when cops say to not move, then not moving would be prudent course of action, but thats a WHOLE other argument for another day and thread

They shot first and asked questions later.

If your argument is that the City was not better after Rudy left than when he got it, then I just dont feel your argument.

It was better but not necessarily because of his administration.
    It was better because the trend at the time was to make nyc better. The people, the new yorkers where fed up and instituted change.We where fed up with the local govt so we changed our constitution, we where fed up with the city council so we changed their structure. we where even fed up with the mayor so we instituted term changes.

I think I'm going to pretend you didnt try to blame the city's improvement on Dinkins. If I had a choise to only have either Dinkins or Carter as our next president, I would actually take Carter in a heartbeat. might be my last heartbeat though :)

Dinkins is Carter of ny i agree completely. People at the time wanted change from the lame duck mayor koch and voted for the best choice they had at the time.They later found that he was incompetent and voted him out by the best choice they had at the time which was rudy. I remember. I voted for dinkins, then voted for rudy. In politics, you make choices based on what is available. That means choosing the lesser of the two evils.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • bikezappa
    edited April 2007
    But even if it was, does the point not stand? It's a lot of effin' people compared to a few bad apples.[/QUOTE]

I was not clear. The BAD apples are the Priests that rape children and the higher ups in the catholic church that protected these priests. I never had any comment about the general population of catholics.

I'm not sure how many priests rape children. With the cover up that continues to go on in the church organization we will probably never know.

But you would think that all catholics would be outraged by such actions going in the upper organization (Bishops and cardinals...) weather there was one or 100 rapists.

The question about priests that has always bothered me is: What do they do with about sex drive?
  • jdhdiggs
    edited April 2007
    F1nut wrote: »
    Then she better start with herself. Perhaps giving away the $36 million she's otherwise going to waste trying to get elected president would be a good start.

Sad part is that my wife and I donate about 100x the money to charities than the Clinton's do and I make about 1/100th as much.

She probably just views it as if she uses the $36MM right, she can get several billions out of people at gunpoint.
  • bikezappa
    edited April 2007
    There appear to about 1,000,000,000 catholics in the world.

Not sure what is the definition of a catholic however.

http://www.cwnews.com/news/viewstory.cfm?recnum=32982
  • hearingimpared
    edited April 2007
    There appear to about 1,000,000,000 catholics in the world.

Not sure what is the definition of a catholic however.

http://www.cwnews.com/news/viewstory.cfm?recnum=32982
    Vatican, Oct. 25, 2004 (CWNews.com) - The world's Catholic population grew by 9.47 million in 2003, reach a total of 1.07 billion, according to a report released by the Vatican on World Mission Sunday.

Once again a Catholic source. Those numbers mean nothing unless of course the vatican is counting ALL Christians as catholics which they would have the arrogance to do.
  • jdhdiggs
    edited April 2007
    HI: Looked at some recent population data and there are about 2,000,000,000 Christians in the world (World's largest religion) and Catholics are half of that number. Muslims, Catholics, and Non-Catholic Christians are each around a billion people.
  • hearingimpared
    edited April 2007
    jdhdiggs wrote: »
    HI: Looked at some recent population data and there are about 2,000,000 Christians in the world (World's largest religion) and Catholics are half of that number. Muslims, Catholics, and Non-Catholic Christians are each around a billion people.

I thought it was more like 2 billion Christians not 2 million unless that is a typo above.:)
  • jdhdiggs
    edited April 2007
    Typo, fixed it MF'r! :)
  • davidk0512
    davidk0512 Posts: 157
    edited April 2007
    I think Pelosi could also be defined by the heading for this thread. She's really got some audacity going for a visit to Syria and communicating to Assad that Israel is ready to talk peace and basically circumventing the President by making up her own foreign policy (with an enemy no less). Where does the **** get off?
    David
  • bikezappa
    edited April 2007
    Republicans have gone to syria before her and the white house never said anything.

They could use some help based on the present and deteriorating situation in the middle east.

What ever happened to the two Israel soldiers that were kidnapped?
  • hearingimpared
    edited April 2007
    Republicans have gone to syria before her and the white house never said anything.

They could use some help based on the present and deteriorating situation in the middle east.

What has deteriorated? It's the same old tired crap over there. Now the Saudi's are stepping up again to show a bold and united front with us. The same old tired crappola.
    What ever happened to the two Israel soldiers that were kidnapped?

That was settled when the Israelis pulled out of Lebanon which in my opinion was a huge mistake.