Looking for Misc Audio Deals of the Day? Updated info here!

Comments

• EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 16,817
    edited September 20
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Phase Tech used styrofoam like drivers in the 80's

Whatcha talking about?

OH WAIT.... you meant like this????

:wink:

uvlx7k8u25vg.jpeg
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 22,939
    hey -- someone else used PRs kinda sorta like that for a while in the late '70s/early 80s. :#

10729919005_c06dcb86a5_z.jpgDSC_1150 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

I think that's more like foamed polyurethane than Styrofoam (foamed polystyrene) though. :)
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 14,291

Whatcha talking about?

uvlx7k8u25vg.jpeg

Is that active or passive? My friend had an active woofer pull the voice coil leads through the foam...

Whatcha talking about?

uvlx7k8u25vg.jpeg

Is that active or passive? My friend had an active woofer pull the voice coil leads through the foam...

Active.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 14,291
    Be careful with that one
  • lightman1lightman1 Posts: 10,452
    edited September 21

Whatcha talking about?

OH WAIT.... you meant like this?

uvlx7k8u25vg.jpeg

Hey! I know those speakers!
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 21,298
    The Fisher used Pie Tin drivers back in the early 1960's...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
    Be careful with that one

Don’t worry I am :smile:
  • verbverb Posts: 7,637
    Well I've never seen one of these. Retro, pretty cool, IMO, and Pioneer! ;)
    tjfd2jwxfpak.png
    https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/ele/d/farmington-pioneer-jt-215a-digital/6983570603.html
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Cary SLP-05 Pre, Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable, Marantz SA-14 SACD, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, PASS ACA Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: , Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks, Tisbury Mini Passive Pre, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 22,939
    edited September 21
    verb wrote: »
    Well I've never seen one of these. Retro, pretty cool, IMO, and Pioneer! ;)
    tjfd2jwxfpak.png
    https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/ele/d/farmington-pioneer-jt-215a-digital/6983570603.html

that's adorbs -- the one I have is "Fluroscan" digital :)

9i0yb9pdqi9a.png
    (borrowed stock photo from hifiengine -- the one here's pretty similar... I don't think I've ever actually plugged it in, come to think of it)
    Of course you have one! I should've known! :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Cary SLP-05 Pre, Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable, Marantz SA-14 SACD, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, PASS ACA Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: , Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks, Tisbury Mini Passive Pre, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
  • jdjohnjdjohn Posts: 938
    From my dad's garage:
    2bl5a6je8ndf.jpg
    IIRC, these only accept NON-polar two-prong plugs :s

Back-in-the-day, I suppose these were helpful when audiophiles passed-out fell asleep on the couch during critical listening sessions. :D

Btw: I am accepting offers on these beauties :) Karma, anyone???
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator

Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • WLDockWLDock Posts: 2,618
    edited September 21
    New Definitive Technology BP9080 - $300 single speaker ($1749 retail)
    https://toledo.craigslist.org/ele/d/toledo-definitive-technology-bp9080/6983709152.html

No affiliation but the guy said that he purchased a set from Best Buy and had a problem with one of them and though it was DOA. He complained to Definitive and a new one was sent...now he has three of them. As it turns out, he had something connected wrong and the speaker is fine. So he is selling the new in-box one for $300!

01717_bI9pZhF37LE_600x450.jpg
    FAMILY ROOM
    HDTV - Sharp AQUOS LC-70LE600U 70" | AVR/Streamer - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Amp - Parasound HCA-1203A
    Blu-Ray/Media/Gaming - Sony PS3-320GB / Microsoft Xbox One | Broadcast - Xfinity X1 Platform
    Front Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Center Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Rear Spkrs - Artison Portrait LRS
    Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Dayton Audio SA1000
    Wire - Audioquest Type 4, BJC Belden 5000 | HDMI - BJC Belden | Power Cables - Pangea | Surge - Monster
    Love his integrity.... he should at least return it to Best Buy.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
    verb wrote: »
    Wow...that is sexy in a very simplistic way.
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator

Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
    Yeah, that's a pretty pricey unit, that would have been the right thing to do.

FAMILY ROOM
    HDTV - Sharp AQUOS LC-70LE600U 70" | AVR/Streamer - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Amp - Parasound HCA-1203A
    Blu-Ray/Media/Gaming - Sony PS3-320GB / Microsoft Xbox One | Broadcast - Xfinity X1 Platform
    Front Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Center Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Rear Spkrs - Artison Portrait LRS
    Wire - Audioquest Type 4, BJC Belden 5000 | HDMI - BJC Belden | Power Cables - Pangea | Surge - Monster
    WLDock wrote: »
    I guess he did call Def Tech and they told him to just keep it.

FAMILY ROOM
    I guess he did call Def Tech and they told him to just keep it.

I’ve had similar happen. Received the wrong item, seller just told me to keep it!

Our faith in mankind has been restored! :smile:
  • BDTBDT Posts: 208
    That VPI is a NICE table. I had a MKIV.......if you are into tweaking, the sky is the limit with those. They tend to have a warmer, more rounded sound than the Scouts but, that's a nice piece of kit......

500 bucks ain't cheap but for that level of table....while I don't know what the market is on them....you get a lot of great sound.

BDT
  • audioluvraudioluvr Posts: 1,331
    Nice early B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks. No balanced inputs though.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/303116034749
    Home System:
    SDA 1C's - Full mod with the help by Dave...
    1000 Va Dreadnought- w/ WireWorld Mini-Eclipse cables
    WireWorld Mini-Eclipse 7 speaker cables
    WireWorld Silver Eclipse IC's
    Cambridge Audio Azur 851N - DAC/Streamer
    B&K Reference 50 Pre/Pro
    B&K M200 Sonata Monoblocks
    BLE-Design 16mm Power Cables
    Denon DVD 2900

Barn system:
    SDA SRS 2.3's Full mod done by myself
    Carver C-1 pre
    Carver M1.5t
    BluDenso - Bluetooth receiver/DAC
  • scubalabscubalab Posts: 2,784
    scubalab wrote: »

Sale sold out in minutes. I missed this one - their website can't handle the increased traffic. Ironically though, you can still order one at full price.

• gwhgwh Posts: 1,433
    HT:
    Martin Logan Motion 40
    Martin Logan Motion 50XT
    Emotiva Airmotiv E2
    SVS SB16 Ultra
    Def Tech Reference Sub
    Yamaha RX-A3070

Signal Cable speaker wires & interconnects.
    gwh wrote: »

So I had to look. That's a smoking deal! :) 27 days and no takers? Not near Verb's house! :)
    bea2bs750cw9.png
  • gwhgwh Posts: 1,433
    Yeah they just dropped it from 1k.
    I bought a scratch and dent 16 from SVS and after several amp swaps they decided to send me what appeared to be a new unit, I guess the driver had issues maybe like the one in the ad.
    If it gets any lower I may be tempted :)
    HT:
    Martin Logan Motion 40
    Martin Logan Motion 50XT
    Emotiva Airmotiv E2
    SVS SB16 Ultra
    Def Tech Reference Sub
    Yamaha RX-A3070

Signal Cable speaker wires & interconnects.
    ATC SCM 50 speakers for $5,200 in the backwoods of KY:
    rhgi87ocfe6k.jpg
    https://nashville.craigslist.org/ele/d/somerset-atc-scm-50-speakers/6981204432.html

Apparently, these are highly-regarded British speakers. It would be quite a road trip to take a look at these based on where they are in KY. @VR3 ???