Building a Dedicated Audio Room

Comments

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited June 2007
    At last; room is finished; just a couple of minor details that I should have done in a few days. Had to get a listen, so I put in some treatments and spent some time listening. Still need to put all the rest of the treatments in the ceiling and back wall, and will measure frequency response, with the room empty and then each time I add something.

016.jpg

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • JimBRICK
    JimBRICK Posts: 1,543
    edited June 2007
    MMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmm more like the spanking room LOL

looks awesome, the flooring looks nice
    2 CHANNEL
    Speaker - Klipsch Heresy II
    Under construction
  • cbl117
    cbl117 Posts: 285
    edited June 2007
    That room sure looks purty! Very nice job!:D
    2 Channel

Vandersteen 3a Sigs
    Music Reference RM-200
    Hovland HP-100
    VPI Scout w/ Benz Ace
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Cardas Golden Reference Speaker Cables
    Cardas Golden Reference Interconnects
    Cardas Golden Power Cords
    PS Audio UPC-200HB
    Black Diamond Racing Isolation
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited June 2007
    Very very nice setup,I bet the treatments will prove they are worth every penny and will allow those beautiful Tylers to really show their stuff.
    Congrats.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,443
    edited June 2007
    respect.gif

High marks Ricardo!:cool:
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • KG Audio
    KG Audio Posts: 79
    edited June 2007
    For us Newbies (so we don't have to search), can you list the equipment in this thread??? :)

Thanks in advance,

KG
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited June 2007
    Looks fan-tas-tic Ricardo!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited June 2007
    Damn HT you make soo jealous I know your taste and ugggg I will have to stop by next time I visit my cousin after youve finished,,,, wished I could met up during the transaction of the 1.2's but oh well .....You go ! keep them pics comming !

The blown in walls "4 inch blown equals to r-20 instead of r-13" works very well for sound insulation and being the basement there as well but Im sure youve got it all covered......

Im going to have to have some foam blown into my staircase on boths sides, the bass in the hallway and the dinning room is outa here but its not in my living room hahaha .....so when the wife isnt home I simply move the couch hahaha good work HT !
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,659
    edited June 2007
    very nice very very nice Congrats
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • Ricardo
    edited June 2007
    Thanks guys; I did complete it in less than two months, considering that the first wall was up on April 5 !!!!!!

Treatments do make a huge difference in the room acoustics; I am looking forward to have them all set up.

SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited June 2007
    Very nice room, sick setup you have there also. I missed allot of the initial posts, are you also using this for HT or just 2 channel listening. Either way job well done.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • Ricardo
    edited June 2007
    KG Audio wrote: »
    For us Newbies (so we don't have to search), can you list the equipment in this thread??? :)

Thanks in advance,

KG

Top to bottom:

-Raysonic CD128 CD player.
    -Audio Research SP16 preamp.
    -ADCOM ACE-515 power
    -TAD-60 for mid/highs
    -TAD-60 for lows (150 Hz and below via spkr crossovers)

Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Sig. system

The amp that will probably drive these is the Belles 350a reference, right now at the shop.

SOPA
  • Ricardo
    edited June 2007
    Sherardp wrote: »
    Very nice room, sick setup you have there also. I missed allot of the initial posts, are you also using this for HT or just 2 channel listening. Either way job well done.

Only 2 channel and no kids/wife allowed ;)

SOPA
  • haimoc
    haimoc Posts: 1,031
    edited June 2007
    I would choose carpet floor instead of hardwood floor. I assume under this room hardwood floor is another layer of concrete... Sound bounds badly on concrete and hardwood floor, and it is even worse for a small room. It is just my opinion.
  • Ricardo
    edited June 2007
    haimoc wrote: »
    I would choose carpet floor instead of hardwood floor. I assume under this room hardwood floor is another layer of concrete... Sound bounds badly on concrete and hardwood floor, and it is even worse for a small room. It is just my opinion.

True; I've got a thick 5x8 area rug that will go in front of the speakers. Didn't go with all carpet because I think it might get the room too dead...plus I already had most of the laminate.

We'll see how it all works out at the end; my biggest concern though is speaker size for the room....hoping treatments will take care of that.

SOPA
  • engtaz
    edited June 2007
    No kids no wife and great music = priceless
    Not that I don't love my kids and wife but peace and tranquility is under rated.
    engtaz

• wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited June 2007
    I like the no wife and kids part too. A nice little oasis for you. Congrats...it's purdy.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • Music Joe
    Music Joe Posts: 459
    edited June 2007
    Very nice room you've built there. I like the color, and the floating laminate looks great. Seperate closable rooms= almost zero dusting.
    Is that about 9' 4" wide? Try starting with the speakers at under 6 feet apart,then move them apart 1/2" at a time,listening to vocal material throughout that voicing in.
    Seriously consider floor to ceiling bass traps on those corner boxes and ceiling treatment beyond blow on acoustic. Once again very nice audio Holodeck!
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited June 2007
    HTrookie wrote: »
    ...my biggest concern though is speaker size for the room....hoping treatments will take care of that.

Don't be concerned about speaker size. The area rug will help out a lot.

I'll bet the bass from those Tylers is outstanding in that room!!

More pics, please...
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited June 2007
    Very nice Ricardo! I'm impressed! Very nice choice of materials, colors, treatments and oh yeah, EQUIPMENT!!

There should be a show on HGTV on building an audio room, with Ricardo as the host.

The sump pump cover for the corners worked really well!!

Congrats my friend! A terrific job! Enjoy!
    Carl

• disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited June 2007
    Very Nice, nice job :)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Ricardo
    edited June 2007
    Thanks for all the comments!! I'll take more pictures once I finish all the remaining details :)

SOPA
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited June 2007
    :) looking good Ricardo,, sign ze wall :)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • engtaz
    edited June 2007
    I am jealous.
    engtaz

• Ricardo
    edited January 2008
    I looked for this thread to place a link on venonclam's for tips, and realized I never posted pictures with all the treatments in place, so here it is. Not the most professional installation of the panels, and I'm sure there might be different arrangements that provide better results...but this is how it is and that's how it's staying.

It was a fun project. I spend a lot of time in this room.

001-12.jpg

005-2.jpg

004-3.jpg

002-10.jpg

003-4.jpg

SOPA
  • nikolas812
    nikolas812 Posts: 2,915
    edited January 2008
    Thats awesome man!!! Congrats.

I really enjoyed this thread. I will be taking on a job just like this when we build our house. I will have about 1700sf of unfinished bacement to work with. I plan on building a dedicated home theater room and a dedicated 2 channel room as you did. I will do the same and post a thread with the progress when it comes time to build.

Thanks for the cool thread.;)
  • wingnut4772
    edited January 2008
    Atsa veeery nice-a!
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited January 2008
    Atsa veeery nice-a!
    a-with-a-teeth-a! ;)
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,394
    edited January 2008
    My goodness. This was a truly enjoyable experience. Going through this thread was like reading a great great book. Was kind of sad to see it finished! Great workmanship Ricardo! Damn, now I am jealous. hahahaha..

two small questions if you do not mind.
    - What kind of bookshelf speakers are those?
    - How do you like the Tyler towers that you have? and how is the sound compared to like maybe b&w 803d's? or something along that range? I do not think I could find Tyler in the Dallas area. So I was wondering..

thanks in advance..

Halen
  • wingnut4772
    edited January 2008
    halenhoang wrote: »
    My goodness. This was a truly enjoyable experience. Going through this thread was like reading a great great book. Was kind of sad to see it finished! Great workmanship Ricardo! Damn, now I am jealous. hahahaha..

Halen

It was the best of times.It was the worst of times....
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch