2007 March Madness: CP's Second Annual, Official "ESPN Tournament... " Challenge

124»

Comments

• billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,710
    edited March 2007
    61 games played (including the play in), Final Four is set, looks like we have separated the men from the boys in this pool. Hellava tournamant so far.

Go UCLA!!!
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited March 2007
    Here's your TOP FIVE going into the finals....

Rank / Owner ............ Points ....... Percentile ............ Final ......

1 sterling bug 1 ......... 1020............. 96.7 ............ FL over (NC)

2 billbillw 1 ................ 1010 ............ 95.9 ........... UCLA over OSU

3 sterling bug 4 ........... 980 ............ 92.7 ........... OSU over FL

4 zombie boy 2000 1 .... 950 ............ 88.2 ........... OSU over FL

5 shack , s s .............. 930 ............. 84.3 ........... FL over OSU

Good Luck (and go Buckeyes).
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited April 2007
    Well...Looks like it comes down to the final to determine a winner between me and sterling bug 4...

1 sterling bug 4 ........... 1220 ............ 97.5 ........... OSU over FL

2 zombie boy 2000 1 .... 1190 ............ 96.0 ........... OSU over FL

3 shack...................... 1170 .............94.7 ........... FL over OSU

zoombie and sterling both picked OSU so zoombie can't win. I am the highest ranked who picked FL and am close enough that a FL win puts me over the top of sterling bug. If OSU wins sterling bug is the winner. If FL wins..like them..I will be the "repeating" champion.

Being from TN it pains me to hope the Gators win....

BUT...over the years I have had 3 favorite college teams. Tennessee, who ever is playing Notre Dame and whoever is playing Ohio State.

Go Gators
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • sterling bug
    sterling bug Posts: 228
    edited April 2007
    Hopefully this is a better game than the one their football counterparts played in the BCS Title game back in January. Go Buckeyes!
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited April 2007
    Always a bridesmaid...
    never a bride.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited April 2007
    CONGRATS SHACKDADDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • shack
    edited April 2007
    Thanks zoombie. I've changed my sig.

You make a great bridesmaid BTW.

Now if only the Lady Vols can win the Women's National Championship game tonight, all will be right with the universe.

I think we can put to rest who the best conference for 2006/2007 was....

Florida was in control over the Big Ten Champ the entire game. Florida lost 3 times in their Conference (Tennessee, Vanderbilt and LSU). OSU was not really challenged and only lost one to the rest of their conference. Tennessee, The 3rd best SEC record and 5th seed in the SEC tourney, took OSU to the wire twice, once on OSUs home court and a neutral site, and could have won both if they had shot better than 45% (5-11) and 47% (8-17) at the free throw line. SEC had 3 teams in the Sweet 16 and the two that lost were nailbiters to Final Four teams (Georgetown 66 vs Vandy 65 and OSU 85 vs TN 84). The only other conference to get three to the Sweet 16 was the PAC 10 and Florida was never threatened by their Champ. ACC? Did they have any teams in the big dance this year? Big 12...A&M played well but I thought they would go further.

We can what-if all day long....but the results say the best NCAA Men's Basketball conference for 2006/2007 was the SEC.

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited April 2007
    I will definitely concede that...
    now you'll have to excuse me as I think I just saw Billy Donovan driving up 65.

I really, really, really don't know how I'm going to be able to deal with the UK gestapo over the next couple of weeks. You know as well as I do that they will feel like they have achieved some Borg-like assimilation of these two championships when Donovan lifts his skirt for Big Blue Nation.
  • shack
    edited April 2007
    Now you'll have to excuse me as I think I just saw Billy Donovan driving up 65.

I really, really, really don't know how I'm going to be able to deal with the UK gestapo over the next couple of weeks. You know as well as I do that they will feel like they have achieved some Borg-like assimilation of these two championships when Donovan lifts his skirt for Big Blue Nation.

I think he would be a fool to do that. Folley will pay Donovan whatever he wants. Believe it or not they have MORE MONEY than KY thanks to football. At FL he has a pass for several years no matter what he does. He will never live up to the big blue expectations unless he wins the NCAA EVERY year starting with the first year he is there. Who needs that?

IF he does...it will be his ego talking and nothing more. I'm betting it doesn't happen.

• zombie boy 2000
    edited April 2007
    You're right. EGO is the only reason. His program will always play second fiddle to their football bretheren. He may feel that the only way he will truly enter the pantheon of college basketball greatness, is to helm a program such as UK.

Then again, Coach K brought Duke to this level from the groundfloor. But like I said, he didn't have a football program to compete with. And he was in a basketball state.

Donovan probably knows that while he may be a hero in the state of Florida, he has a chance (albeit a longshot) to be a GOD in the state of Kentucky.
    How many 100-year old ladies can talk college b-ball recruiting during the middle of summer in Florida? Pretty much all of him here can...

I'm not saying it's a wise thing to do. And it reeks of a "lose-lose situation". And as a UofL fan, I love tossing UK fans under the bus. But if Donovan's hubris flares up, where better to satiate it?
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited April 2007
    OSU's HORRENDOUS 3 point shooting last night cost them the game. Had we not shot 9-10% from 3 point range over the first 38 minutes of the game, then it's a whole different ball game. Even a poor, below average, night could have made the difference (a poor shooting night would have been an improvement over last night).

Florida really had no answer for Oden, OSU just had no game on the perimeter. Although I will admit the ref's weren't exaclty letting the FL big guys play...

Having said that, Florida is/was the better team. I just wish OSU could have knocked down some of those open looks... :(
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • shack
    edited April 2007
    tryrrthg wrote: »
    OSU's HORRENDOUS 3 point shooting last night cost them the game. Had we not shot 9-10% from 3 point range over the first 38 minutes of the game, then it's a whole different ball game. Even a poor, below average, night could have made the difference (a poor shooting night would have been an improvement over last night).:(

Ain't what-ifs great. IF Tennessee had shot only 60% from the FT line they would have beat OSU twice. We had an answer for Oden. Get his **** on the bench with fouls. ;)

• tryrrthg
    edited April 2007
    shack wrote: »
    Ain't what-ifs great. IF Tennessee had shot only 60% from the FT line they would have beat OSU twice. We had an answer for Oden. Get his **** on the bench with fouls. ;)
    IF you hadn't blown a 20 point lead... :D

Even sitting his **** on the bench doesn't always work: see Georgetown, Xavier (overtime)

I just hope it motivates everyone to come back (OSU, not Florida ;) )
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • shack
    edited April 2007
    tryrrthg wrote: »
    I just hope it motivates everyone to come back (OSU, not Florida ;) )

Oden is history!

BYE OSU....HELLO NBA!

• zombie boy 2000
    edited April 2007
    I thought I saw him doing the parade wave after the buzzer sounded. Funny thing is... I think Durant will stay another year.
  • tryrrthg
    edited April 2007
    shack wrote: »
    Oden is history!

BYE OSU....HELLO NBA!
    I'm not so sure. all the buzz in Columbus is that he really doesn't know what he's going to do yet. He's really having fun in college and enjoying himself. I wouldn't be totally surprised if he stays especially with the loss last night. But I'm not holding my breath either...