2007 March Madness: CP's Second Annual, Official "ESPN Tournament... " Challenge

Comments

• shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited March 2007
    Good luck to everyone in the contest. Unfortunately, I can't enter due to my employment by an NCAA university; fun or not it is illegal for us to even fill out a bracket. :rolleyes: Some observations:
    -Syracuse and Drexel definitely got the shaft.
    -Adding more teams to the tourney wouldn't accomplish anything except having us all argue who the 73rd or 74th team got hosed.
    -I don't agree that it's not about just getting in. Tell that to the coach of Jackson State for example that makes 90,000 dollars a year (a lot to us, but not a lot compared to his peers) and gets a 10,000 dollar bonus and a shoe contract out of making the tourney. For a lot of these teams, it is just about getting here and as George Mason showed us last year, anything can happen during March MAdness.

Good luck to everyone. Enjoy the madness!!!!!!!!!!!

Shawn
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited March 2007
    Shawn... good points all, but keep in mind that Drexel just got beat in the first round of the NIT:p
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, i saw that. The announcers kept saying that the biggest thing for the NIT teams is not to feel sorry for themselves and forget the fact that they got snubbed bythe NCAA. They definitely played like they didn't really want to be there. That being said, I have no problem with ODU getting in over them (ODU beat the three times this year and also beat Georgetown at Georgetown). My only problem is that Drexel followed what the NCAA selection criteria is and beat BCS schools on their home courts. Their non-conference schedule was stacked with BCS teams. I guess, in short, some team is going to have to be the martyr and IMO Drexel is that team this year. I can't stand Jim Boheim so you won't hear me clamor for Syracuse very much!!!!

Shawn
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited March 2007
    I agree with you all the way... I feel Drexel was snubbed. Usually, the "NIT letdown" is reserved for teams from major conferences who feel slighted. You can tell the mid-majors have come a long way when they fall victim to this mindset.

Like I said previously, I don't feel it's so much an issue of Drexel, Syracuse, or Air Force being left out... I think it's the fact that Arkansas was let in that has me scratching my head.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited March 2007
    Syracuse looked really good by coming from behind late to defeat that Sun Belt powerhouse, South Alabama, who had a RPI of 131 and a SOS of 208. :rolleyes:

I've always felt that a good team who thinks they got screwed by being left out of the NCAA Tournament would go on a tear in the NIT and destroy teams to SHOW they belonged...not lay down and lose or play badly, feeling sorry for themselves.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited March 2007
    Or not show up at all (in mind or body) like Georgia Tech did that year they felt they got hosed ('94?)....
    Granted, Pitino was seriously considering keeping the Cardinals out of the NIT last year. Not because he felt they were screwed (far from it.. he knew they didn't deserve a bid, as did the rest of the country). He felt that this team really didn't even deserve an NIT bid.

Instead, he accepted the offer and made it to the semi-finals.. losing to South Carolina.
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited March 2007
    Maryland struggling in the first half. Hope they put it together real soon!
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,710
    edited March 2007
    Louisville sure came to play today. Can't say the same for TT. My first wrong pic already :(
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited March 2007
    Ya, I got 3 for 3 on one of my brackets... but I picked Maryland way too far I think, from their showing today.
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited March 2007
    Whoo! whooo!

Who else had VCU beating Duke?
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • billbillw
    edited March 2007
    Mike682 wrote:
    Whoo! whooo!

Who else had VCU beating Duke?

I did, but unfortunately, most of my early upset pics have been off.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited March 2007
    41-13 with 5 minutes left in the half!!!
    Kentucky Wildcat fans crying a river of blue tears as their precious home turf is overridden by a sea of their rival's colors. I loved watching Edgar Sosa slapping the UK midcourt logo preparing to make a defensive stop.

I actually heard a few bars in Lexington were outright refusing to serve the Louisville army.

This is a GLORIOUS DAY!!!!
  • polksda
    polksda Posts: 716
    edited March 2007
    Day 1 = Bo-ring. 1 "upset" and really the only competitive game of the day. Hope day 2 has a bit more drama...
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited March 2007
    Ding dong, the Dukies are dead!!!
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited March 2007
    The only one I missed in my first bracket was the Duke game. Should have listened to my gut....
  • ND13
    edited March 2007
    . I think it's the fact that Arkansas was let in that has me scratching my head.

Well, seeing that they were in the SEC, were 35th in the RPI and have the 10th ranked strongest schedule. Plus the fact they beat several ranked opponents, including Vanderbilt(a 6 seed), twice in the last week of the reg season. They smoked Alabama, twice, when they were in the top 10 and top 25, respectively. They belong there as much as many of the mid-major schools. What it really came down to was that they won 5 of six to end the season, in the 2nd strongest conference(this season). The parity in the SEC this season was just mind-boggling. Arkansas was the first team to win a road game, in conference play, this year in the SEC. How you finish the season plays a major role in the selection committee's decision making. When Arkansas played Florida, during the reg season and @ Florida, it was a pretty close game....7 points. They had to play Florida in the SEC tourney finals, they
    were playing their fourth game in as many days, against, what many experts still believe is, the team to beat in the NCAA tourney.

We'll see tonight, when they meet up against the 5 seed USC.

How did Duke get in after losing their last 3 reg season games?? That's a team that you should be pissed at. They got their, not by merit, but by reputation alone.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited March 2007
    I didn't say I was pissed. I just think Arkansas is not a tournament-caliber team... Do I think there are mid-majors in the tourney that are worse than the Razorbacks? Sure. But they got in by winning their tournament. With the possible exception of Stanford, find me a worse at-large team than Arkansas.

I definitely think Duke was overseeded.
    And you're right.... that's why they play the games:)

Just out of curiosity... why are you not a Hoosier fan?
  • shack
    edited March 2007
    We'll...not to bad on the first day. Missed one on a bracket (an 8/9 tossup between BYU and Xavier) and leading day one with zombie. 2 brackets are in 2nd place and 2 are in 3rd place. Very few of these things are won on the first round. The Sweet 16 and Elite 8 usually determine the winners of bracklet pools.

I'm pissed at Tour. He set this thing up and went AWOL again. :confused:

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • shack
    edited March 2007

'Cause in his heart he's a Tennessee boy! :D

• billbillw
    edited March 2007
    polksda wrote:
    Day 1 = Bo-ring. 1 "upset" and really the only competitive game of the day. Hope day 2 has a bit more drama...

I guess you didn't see that Xavier game. Something like 10 lead changes and still tied with less than a minute left. It was a great game.
  • ND13
    edited March 2007
    shack wrote:
    'Cause in his heart he's a Tennessee boy! :D

Born In Arkansas and raised as a HOG fan.
  • ND13
    edited March 2007
    I didn't say I was pissed. I just think Arkansas is not a tournament-caliber team... Do I think there are mid-majors in the tourney that are worse than the Razorbacks? Sure. But they got in by winning their tournament. With the possible exception of Stanford, find me a worse at-large team than Arkansas.

I definitely think Duke was overseeded.
    And you're right.... that's why they play the games:)

Hmmm, where to start??

Seeing that they beat Vandy twice in a week. What about Gonzaga? Another team there by what they've done in the recent past. And how is a 21-13 record, from an SEC team, BAD??

Again, the best time for a team to get it together is the last few weeks of the season. We'll see how they fair against the 5 seed Trojans.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited March 2007
    That must be hard in the middle of Hoosier country. Not that Hoosier fans are as bad as UK fans, but I imagine you take a your fair share of ribbing from the local fan base.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited March 2007
    Go take another look at the Razorbacks non-conference schedule. Then come up with a justifiable defense of the RPI. I really don't think the SEC was the best conference this year. Just look at the SEC West....

I'll concede Gonzaga as well.
  • ND13
    edited March 2007
    No, I like the Hoosiers, too. They're my Big Ten team. My wife graduated from IU. She also went to high school and college with Steve Alford. We live in New Castle, In...the home of the largest high school gymnasium in the country and the Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame.
  • ND13
    edited March 2007
    I really don't think the SEC was the best conference this year. Just look at the SEC West....

I'll concede Gonzaga as well.

The SEC was the 2nd strongest conference. It was stated on one of the ESPN bracket specials.

It's called parity.

And I don't make up the RPI's rules.

This happens every season, in every sport. There will always be a few teams that will get the short end of the stick and there always will be. There were over 100 division 1 teams, this season, with 20 or more wins.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited March 2007
    Kind of a useless bit of conincidental trivia, but New Castle, KY has the largest gymnasium in the state.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited March 2007
    Arkansas is a lot better team than they led on early in their season. The only people who got jobbed this year is Ohio State. They were the legitmate #1, #1.
  • ND13
    edited March 2007
    Demiurge wrote:
    Arkansas is a lot better team than they led on early in their season. The only people who got jobbed this year is Ohio State. They were the legitmate #1, #1.

It's all about timing....when you peak as a team.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited March 2007
    ND13 wrote:
    There were over 100 division 1 teams, this season, with 20 or more wins.

I heard this myself. Pretty amazing lil' number. As for the four-letter network, take what they say with a grain of salt. And "parity" is a slippery eel of a concept. It neither proves or disproves the strength of a conference. It only proves that everyone is relatively equal.