Best Anti-Virus Software?

Comments

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited February 2007
    Don't setup 2 or more anti virus programs to run simultaneously. Every bit of data that goes through the computer has to be scanned. If you feel the need for extra protection you can install 2 and have just one running all the time. When you want you can manually scan with the secondary program.

Yahoo anti virus is as lame as AOL!!!
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited February 2007
    Nod32. Been using it for a while now and it's quite nice. AVG is good too, but I prefer nod32 at the moment. With the pains and conflicts you get with norton I think it'd be crazy to go back to paying them for updates. Free programs is the way to go :)
  • Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited February 2007
    ben62670 wrote:
    Don't setup 2 or more anti virus programs to run simultaneously. Every bit of data that goes through the computer has to be scanned. If you feel the need for extra protection you can install 2 and have just one running all the time. When you want you can manually scan with the secondary program.

every hacker and technophile I know says to run at least two... and they never buy theirs either. Avast and AVG both have free versions because their corporate software is profitable enough that they can let home users get it free, that should say something about the quality.
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited February 2007
    I use Bitdefender and I really like it a lot. It does hourly updates automatically and was a great price. It runs in the background w/out a noticeable drain on comp performance; very effecient and very effective.

Got great reviews too

http://www.bitdefender.com/site/home
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited February 2007
    audiobliss wrote:
    The new version installed flawlessly on my desktop. So did SpyCatcher.

Run the 'deep scan' with SpyCatcher asap.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2007
    I did. Found a few problems; think they're taken care of now.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited February 2007
    i have used nortin products for years but now they olny alow 3 installs befor the product canot be installed any more. with i find to be ubserb i mean if you do get a nasty virus i re install (i dont but my parents do whom i take care of ther computers for them) so i am realey ticked off at nortin right now and thinking of never buying their product agin. in this last year i have stoped buying from 2 store with bad sales polocys and maybe 1-2 brands do to stupidy of polocys
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited February 2007
    PolkThug wrote:
    The free SpyCatcher Express by Tenebril is the best I've used so far. I removed my McAfee a long time ago and have had no problems. (It does both spyware and viruses and has some great extras built-in)

Very good call on the SpyCatcher. I had never heard of it until now, and removed some serious B.S. from my system just now.
  • kn505
    kn505 Posts: 380
    edited May 2007
    ben62670 wrote: »

Yahoo anti virus is as lame as AOL!!!

I installed the AVG and Avast programs. How do I setup so that only one program is running all the time?
    Thanks in advance for your help.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited May 2007
    Uninstall one of them?
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited May 2007
    Won't touch Norton anymore extreme resource hog. I currently use just the Basic McAfee Antivirus on my main PC's. None of the extra BS firewall/Internet security crap. I leave that to my router firewall.

I also use Avast on a couple of secondary machines without any trouble.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited May 2007
    AVG is free. Isn't a resource hog, and catches more viruses than Mac, and Norton combined. If you are writing viruses you are being malicious. You would write them to take out the largest AV companies out there Norton, and Mac. If you want 2 AV programs just set up one to run all the time, and do scans with the second once a week.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited May 2007
    PC Cillin wasn't a resource hog at all till 07. It's still much less of a burden than Mac or Norton.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited May 2007
    ben62670 wrote: »
    AVG is free. Isn't a resource hog, and catches more viruses than Mac, and Norton combined. If you are writing viruses you are being malicious. You would write them to take out the largest AV companies out there Norton, and Mac. If you want 2 AV programs just set up one to run all the time, and do scans with the second once a week.

Thanks. I'm sure AB missed it the first time you said it.:rolleyes:
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited May 2007
    AVG as well, for the last 2 yrs, not one prob.

not to hijack but along the same lines...what about free anti-spyware?
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited May 2007
    SpyBot Search & Destroy and/or Lavasoft Anti-SpyWare.

I run both occassionally.
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited May 2007
    1 more vote for AVG. I used to use pc-cillin and was also fine with it, just got tired of paying for it.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • TennesseeOutlaw
    TennesseeOutlaw Posts: 414
    edited May 2007
    Personally, I use the free AVG program.. www.downloads.com Search for AVG..
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited May 2007
    I have AVG on my wife's tower for the past month. Overall, I'm quite happy with it. Although, it is slower than Mac and Norton.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • haimoc
    haimoc Posts: 1,031
    edited May 2007
    Norton 360 is a new and very good antivirus/spy/adware software. I still like the Mccafee Enterprise version.
  • kn505
    edited May 2007
    kn505 wrote: »
    I installed the AVG and Avast programs. How do I setup so that only one program is running all the time?
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Uninstall one of them?

Thanks for the advice. Here is another advice that I found on the AVG forum:

"It is never recommended by anyone that knows what they are talking about to run two or more active antivirus programs at the same time. The active components will conflict with each other. Generally you won't see the effects of the conflict but you will make both programs less effective none the less. Choose one antivirus program and uninstall the other one.

Here is Avast's statement about it... http://www.avast.com/eng/faq-installation-problems.html#idt_222
    Here is Grisoft's statement about it... http://free.grisoft.com/doc/28627/lng/us/tpl/v5
    Here is Microsoft's statement about it... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/189264
    Here is Symantec's statement about it... http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2000031316555206
    Here is ZoneLab's statement about it... http://free.grisoft.com/doc/28627/lng/us/tpl/v5"
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited May 2007
    I just started using ZoneAlarm's security suite. I kinda like it. It's not a gigantic resource hog but it does use some resources. Afterall it is running a firewall, virus/spyware protection and a bunch of other stuff that fills in alot of holes that other "complete" suites miss.

It used to be pretty poor for performance but they just released a new version about a month and a half ago and it's very much improved.

http://www.zonealarm.com/store/content/catalog/products/sku_list.jsp?dc=12bms&ctry=US&lang=en&lid=ho_zass
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited May 2007
    I just started using ZoneAlarm's security suite. I kinda like it. It's not a gigantic resource hog but it does use some resources. Afterall it is running a firewall, virus/spyware protection and a bunch of other stuff that fills in alot of holes that other "complete" suites miss.

It used to be pretty poor for performance but they just released a new version about a month and a half ago and it's very much improved.

http://www.zonealarm.com/store/content/catalog/products/sku_list.jsp?dc=12bms&ctry=US&lang=en&lid=ho_zass

My cousin has been using ZoneAlarm's suite for a couple a three years now and it is really good. But you have to disable the prompt option, it will drive you nuts. Make sure that you choose the suite that does include the anti-spyware protection. There are different versions.
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited May 2007
    If McAfee and Norton suck so bad what does everyone use for a firewall?
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • bobman1235
    edited May 2007
    tryrrthg wrote: »

ZoneAlarm.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited May 2007
    audiobliss wrote: »
    SpyBot Search & Destroy and/or Lavasoft Anti-SpyWare.

I run both occassionally.

Thanks,
  • Jstas
    edited May 2007
    tryrrthg wrote: »

McAfee actually had the best Firewall on the market for a while. Until they eff'ed it all up with the Internet Security Suite stuff. Guardian was awesome.

I'm on the page with bobman though. In the abscence of Guardian, ZoneAlarm takes top honors IMO. Couple either of those with a hardware firewall on your home network router and you'll be behind security layers so deep that anything you have on your system will not be worth the time for a baddy to try and crack through your setup.

For me, now I use ZoneAlarm on my systems and they are behind a Linksys WRT54G wireless router. The WRT54G is Linux based also and the firewall is quite robust mostly due to the way Linux handles system permissions and file access. Wireless security is WPA and also access is limited by MAC address. Full logging is enabled and I can see who is on my network, who is trying to get on and traceroute information for all connections. I realize it's overkill for a home network but living in an apartment complex, any monkey can get on your network easily enough and surf for things like child **** or snuff films or perform malacious acts and they all get traced back to you because it's coming through your account on your ISP.

• kn505
    edited May 2007
    How can you tell if someone is on your network or is trying to get on your network?
  • bobman1235
    edited May 2007
    If you have a router, you can usually log into that and see a list of computers (by MAC address) that are using your network.
  • Jstas
    edited May 2007
    You can also use network sniffers and analyzers to see where network calls are coming from, where they are heading and which ones have failed. Most firewall programs have a trace route program and a network sniffer/analyzer with them. If not, you can find any number of them online. Sun Microsystem's Solaris has a very nice network packet sniffer as part of the OS called snoop. I have seen it ported to other Linux versions.

Most of these programs will output a list of traffic that you can view. The trace route programs will give all kinds of info on each jump an incoming packet made. Some of these sniffers will even give you a WhoIs work up on the domain name owner, where it is listed and hosted, who handles the locking and even contact info for the domain name owner.

Yeah, privacy and security don't really exist. The only thing you can do is to put so many pitfalls and traps in the way that it makes the time spent circumventing them all a greater expense than the reward behind the firewall. At that point, it isn't worth it and you get to have security through obscurity and lack of value.