wives don't get it

13»

Comments

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited February 2007
    cfrizz wrote:
    I love good audio equipment, but I won't endlessly keep changing out equipment looking for that elusive sound! The vast majority of my equipment is 17 yrs old. Why? Because I did it right the first time!/QUOTE]

Cathy, where were you when I started out...could of used your AudioBible sort of speak. You should write a beginnners guide to Audio.
    She's got great gear cause she's SMART !
  • pblanc
    pblanc Posts: 261
    edited February 2007
    Compromise and moderation is a sound policy for dealing with just about any facet of life. Now if we could just teach that to the damn Republicans and Democrats.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited February 2007
    :D You are lucky!:D I also did the same thing when I went to check out my apt. I picked out which wall I was going to put my tv stereo rack & speakers.

I figured out where the rest of the stuff went, the day I moved in!:D

I must be lucky.. I am not married, but I have a girlfriend of almost 3 years, and she absolutely loves home theater and listening to music at damn near deafinin' levels. She had never heard a home theater before we met. By the third of fourth time she came over to my place, she had already taken control of the 4 remotes!! She loves her "disney" cartoon movies, i.e Shrek, The Incredibles, Ice Age, etc.etc. So, everytime I get me a couple of dvd's or cd's I just make sure to pick up the newest "toon" on the market.. Fortunately, for my sake, I love the movies too, and she doesnt even know that I am really purchasing them for myself and NOT her!! LOL As far as the upgrade thing goes, which I am in the process of doing now, I dont know yet if she will notice a "big" enough difference in sound to justify the rather large jump in funds.. I will get back to ya on that..

BTW, whenever I go and look at a new place (house, condo, appt.) I always look to see where all my stereo equipment is going first.. Where is there a solid 3 wall back where the tv and speakers go? If there isnt a good enough spot, that place is generally taken off of the list.. Long story short, WE go and look at a house, about 2450 sq. ft., and a really nice house.. There wasnt 2 closed off walls in the entire house, except of course the bedrooms, and my girlfriend turns to me and says this isnt going to work.. We get back out to the car and I asked her what the problem was, and she tells me, I didnt see a good place to put MYYY home theater and tv at!! LMAO
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited February 2007
    I don't know how smart I am rather than lucky & practical!

I didn't have or make a lot of money, I still don't. With equipment that costs this much money I have to get my moneys worth out of it. It is designed to last for years, so it just makes good sense to get the best you can afford at the time that you know you will keep for years! So I made damn sure that it was gear that I liked & sounded terrific!

After I purchased my 1st real system in 1990 consisting of my Polk speakers, Rotel CD, preamp, & amp along with an Onkyo tape deck I didn't make a change until 13-14 yrs later to get my Denon receiver. And that was only because I had run out of imputs & wanted to get into HT!

The Rotel gear now resides with my brother & going strong, I still have the tape deck, & speakers. The rest is newer, but 4-5 yrs old. Some of it bought from the good members here.

As I said Willow, it's all about practicality & common sense for me!:)

Anyone can do that!:D
    Willow wrote:
    cfrizz wrote:
    I love good audio equipment, but I won't endlessly keep changing out equipment looking for that elusive sound! The vast majority of my equipment is 17 yrs old. Why? Because I did it right the first time!/QUOTE]

Cathy, where were you when I started out...could of used your AudioBible sort of speak. You should write a beginnners guide to Audio.
    She's got great gear cause she's SMART !
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Huck344
    Huck344 Posts: 453
    edited February 2007
    cfrizz wrote:
    Nice generalizations there Daboyz & Huck!

When it comes to money there is no right or wrong time of month for anyone.

And as for shopping, I can't stand to shop & I damn sure won't spend $1000 on a purse, shoes, or any other article of clothing.

Are there some women who like to shop? Absolutely, but not all.

Again if you are single knock yourself out. Joey certainly does! LOL

But if you are married, it's about compromise & common sense. If you are in debt up to your ears, you have no business buying new gear. That's money that should be spent on getting rid of that debt. If you have more gear than space to comfortably live without tripping over it, then you need to figure out what stays & what goes.

I like new gear just as much as anyone, but it is NOT my top priority. If you put shopping for gear above major debt, keeping a roof over your head & food on the table, then you need a reality check!

Cfrizz: You are right, I was making a generalization based on my personal experience. I know not all women spend a thousand dollars on purses and shoes. If anything it's my fault for always dating the high maintenance types!!!
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited February 2007
    larryb52 wrote:
    You see the sony shelf system I had was like 300 & the ISonic is 600 , she see's the $'s doesn't hear the difference, you have to remove the $ in your head. As I try to explain to hear when I listen to set ups in stores is to close your eyes & listen & pick out the intruments being played & listen for the sound stage, I trully think she tries but after she listens she always asks the price!, it's about sound, price is just one of the factors that come after select listening...

Next time she wants some jewelry, tell her the CZ looks just as good as the diamond and the increase in price is not worth it. I bet she will then see the light.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited February 2007
    MSALLA wrote:
    I bet she will then see the light.
    Only from the perspective of looking through a real or fake piece of jewelry ... Which interestingly enough most jewelers would have trouble with ... some even with a loop ...
  • larryb52
    larryb52 Posts: 38
    edited February 2007
    I played a couple hours of her music & I think she get's where I'm coming from...in fact got a request for another of her favorite cd's...
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited February 2007
    This whole thread is why I stick with Hookers...

Seriously though, I find women to be very visual. My wife hated the Polk RT16's I had. Not because they were Polk's, but because they were large, uninteresting, faux wood vinear ebony. I later bought a pair of Red Cherry B&W's, her grandmother thought they were antique furniture. A small victory for my hobby after that day. She still hates all the wires and many components. But as long as the bills are paid and I am not selling blood to purchase new I/C's, we are good. I just need to build a mancave and put a large NO MAA'M sign on the door like on Married With Children.
    Venom
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited February 2007
    My wife bought me my first set of Polk M10B in 1985. They have been with me for over 22 years. She was with me for 18 years. Listening to my Polks without her.... Priceless.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited February 2007
    My wife doesn't understand, but she does know that it makes me happy. Any money I make from buying, then reselling on eBay is mine to spend in any fashion I want. It also doesn't hurt that I make sure to play music we both enjoy fairly regularly. Our hobby doesn't have to be a battleground, afterall, she has her hobbies I don't find the least bit interesting.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited February 2007
    McLoki wrote:
    At least move Sponge Bob into the kitchen so she can listen to some tunes while baking you some pies.... :)

Micheal

Thanks for the laugh. My screen is covered with soda water. ;)

Remember to bring up in any arguments today that flowers die and speakers live.
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited February 2007
    McLoki wrote:
    At least move Sponge Bob into the kitchen so she can listen to some tunes while baking you some pies.... :)

Micheal

Good idea! :D
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited February 2007
    Look on the bright side. It's Valentine's day, chances are pretty good she'll get it tonight;)
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880