Comments

• daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited February 2007
    Catch her at the right time of month!
  • Huck344
    Huck344 Posts: 453
    edited February 2007
    It's all relative. Women have no qualms about buying a $1000 purse or owning a hundred pair of shoes. I'm not married yet (thank God!) but remember having an argument with an ex who complained about some of the things I would buy. I'll admit the batting cage wasn't the smartest of purchases. When I asked her why she cared so much, she told me because I could be spending that money on her! Hmmmm. . .true colors!
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited February 2007
    I got the evil eye as I came into the house toting and trying to hide 3 16"X16" slate tile. I think my wife was even pissed. I went into the basement and placed the tile and she poked her head down to see what my 2 year old was doing and what I was doing with another look of disgust.

@ 10 minutes I went back upstairs elated with my $11 tweek and told her how happy I was. Wife not so much.

We came down to watch The Police play on The Grammys on DVR and about halfway through the song she said " It does sound better."

I guess for me it more of the journey to the destination and for my wife it is more the destination.

I also like to sail. Go figure.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited February 2007
    Ergo the beauty of buying used ... One can make a lot of swaps of equipment without spending a ton of money ...
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited February 2007
    Nice generalizations there Daboyz & Huck!

When it comes to money there is no right or wrong time of month for anyone.

And as for shopping, I can't stand to shop & I damn sure won't spend $1000 on a purse, shoes, or any other article of clothing.

Are there some women who like to shop? Absolutely, but not all.

Again if you are single knock yourself out. Joey certainly does! LOL

But if you are married, it's about compromise & common sense. If you are in debt up to your ears, you have no business buying new gear. That's money that should be spent on getting rid of that debt. If you have more gear than space to comfortably live without tripping over it, then you need to figure out what stays & what goes.

I like new gear just as much as anyone, but it is NOT my top priority. If you put shopping for gear above major debt, keeping a roof over your head & food on the table, then you need a reality check!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • phipiper10
    phipiper10 Posts: 955
    edited February 2007
    My problem is where is the line?

We have not debt other than the house.
    We have two good cars with no payments.
    My wife stays at home with the kids.

Do we have college savings for our 1 and 4 yr old - no.
    Are we on a plan where we can retire at 50 or 60 - no.

Can I afford to spend $1500 on new speakers???????? I don't know the answer ( it's partly rhetorical). I'll be happy but should that money be for moving to a new house, college, retirement or a family vacation?

When you look at the big picture speakers seem silly. I don't think they are but how do I put speakers before those other things.

Damn being Catholic...now I feel guilty even thinking abou it! :eek:
    Analog Source: Rega P3-24 Exact 2 w/GT delrin platter & Neo TT-PSU Digital Source: Lumin T2 w/Roon (NUC) DAC: Denafrips Pontus II Phono Preamp: Rega Aria MK3 Preamp: Rogue RP-7 Amp: Pass X150.8 Speakers: Joseph Audio Perspective 2, Audio Physic Tempo Plus Cables: Morrow M4 ICs & Audio Art SC-5 ePlus, Shunyata PCs Misc: Shunyata Hydra Delta D6, VTI rack, GIK acoustic panels
  • cfrizz
    edited February 2007
    ROFLMAO!!! Great post Phipiper!

With that said, you should put that 1500 towards an IRA for your retirement, if you have 401k's put as much as you can into them. Do you really still want to be working at 60?

As for college savings, the best thing you could do is make them pay the bulk of it themselves, they will appreciate it more & study harder since they will have the responsibility of earning it for themselves.
    phipiper10 wrote:
    My problem is where is the line?

We have not debt other than the house.
    We have two good cars with no payments.
    My wife stays at home with the kids.

Do we have college savings for our 1 and 4 yr old - no.
    Are we on a plan where we can retire at 50 or 60 - no.

Can I afford to spend $1500 on new speakers???????? I don't know the answer ( it's partly rhetorical). I'll be happy but should that money be for moving to a new house, college, retirement or a family vacation?

When you look at the big picture speakers seem silly. I don't think they are but how do I put speakers before those other things.

Damn being Catholic...now I feel guilty even thinking abou it! :eek:
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited February 2007
    My wife can't hear "any" differences in any of the systems that I have put together, so we came upon a compromise that works best for us.

I have my own "ManRoom" that I am allowed to fill with separates of my choice, 2 channel and HT rigs (towers, couch sub, 8 ft. screen with DLP projector, & amps galore) as long as her living room's gear is easy to run with minimal remotes.

Her only complaint has been when I have quite a bit of gear that doesn't get used and relegated to storage that takes up closet space. I can see her point with this and have vowed to part with the stuff I will likely never use again.

She has been really supportive of any hobby that I got wrapped up with, and just laughs it off as "big boys with their big toys".
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited February 2007
    Mine is a nightmare and she prefers to listen to her cds on the Sponge Bob alarm clock radio in the garage.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • larryb52
    larryb52 Posts: 38
    edited February 2007
    my quest was to get the sound that my 10b's and my larger unit gave me that was the frustrating quest...sorry if I didn't state that clearly...
    cfrizz wrote:
    LarryB I think you said it all in your first post..."I have been on a endless quest..."

That endless quest has cost how many thousands of dollars & how many years? Unless you have endless money & space I would be pitching a fit as well.

I love good audio equipment, but I won't endlessly keep changing out equipment looking for that elusive sound! The vast majority of my equipment is 17 yrs old. Why? Because I did it right the first time!

I understand that this is a hobby for some, but it's a damn expensive hobby which when it impacts 2 people can become a bone of contention.

Thank God I live alone, but am also practical to know when to say enough is enough!
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,549
    edited February 2007
    My gf doesnt necessarily support my hobby, but she finds it endearing. I dont even know exactly what that word means, but as long as she isnt on my tail... I suppose it's not a bad thing.

Only thing is that she does get angry if I end up taking her to audio shops on the way home from dinner... so I've concluded that girls and speakers dont mix.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited February 2007
    I'm afraid I have to go with russman on this one. Whats your favorite pie? :)
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • pblanc
    pblanc Posts: 261
    edited February 2007
    Girls and speakers don't mix? Go to this link and scroll down to third photo on right hand side.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited February 2007
    Uh-oh.....Joey,the word "Endearing" means after your married,
    That **** out the door.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pblanc
    edited February 2007
  • cfrizz
    edited February 2007
    :D Endearing means that to her, it is simply a part of your natural charm & she likes it.

Girls & speakers do not mix AFTER DINNER! Honestly Joey you are with your gf, you can't think of anything better to do than stop off to visit an audio shop?:rolleyes: :eek:

With your schedule, you can't have a lot of free time to be with her so dragging in your hobby while you are with her is just unacceptable!

She is willing to share you with your hobby however, she is NOT willing to share you while you are with HER unless it involves candle light and dancing to music coming out of your stereo! GOT IT?:D

Joey_V wrote:
    My gf doesnt necessarily support my hobby, but she finds it endearing. I dont even know exactly what that word means, but as long as she isnt on my tail... I suppose it's not a bad thing.

Only thing is that she does get angry if I end up taking her to audio shops on the way home from dinner... so I've concluded that girls and speakers dont mix.
  • cfrizz
    edited February 2007
    This may also be true since by then Joey should have the ultimate systems known to man put together. So that money can be put towards a house to put them in!:D
    tonyb wrote:
    Uh-oh.....Joey,the word "Endearing" means after your married,
    That **** out the door.
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited February 2007
    Russman, I usually go with "and make me a sandwich" at the end of your epitat. But, to each his own. I think my version comes from Cartman.

My GF has been surprisingly supportive of my recent habit. Maybe it's because I've convinced her that by buying used gear, then selling it later, I can pretty much break even. However, I agree with her than my recent gear hording has got to stop, or I need to buy a house to have more space for "inventory."

I have come home to find some of her CDs in the bedroom system. And, like Sami's lady, she has ranked the systems in terms of sound quality, which is a very good sign. She's also on more than one occassion asked to and blare Eric Clapton DVD "Wonderful Tonight" as we dance in the moonlight and make out.

So, as long as I can start selling some of this stuff I've got piling up for what I bought it for, I'll be good to go :)
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited February 2007
    Gentle, CFRIZZ. Just joking. But been married 14 yrs and there is a little truth to it, at least with us. She'll be the first to tell ya.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited February 2007
    cfrizz wrote:
    :D Endearing means that to her, it is simply a part of your natural charm & she likes it.

Girls & speakers do not mix AFTER DINNER! Honestly Joey you are with your gf, you can't think of anything better to do than stop off to visit an audio shop?:rolleyes: :eek:

With your schedule, you can't have a lot of free time to be with her so dragging in your hobby while you are with her is just unacceptable!

She is willing to share you with your hobby however, she is NOT willing to share you while you are with HER unless it involves candle light and dancing to music coming out of your stereo! GOT IT?:D

ROCK ON CATHY........WOHOOOOOOO!!!!
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited February 2007
    I can`t afford it...I`m outta control..
    I admit it
    :D
    My wife is on me like a cheap suit every damn minute of everyday...complaining about "all that stereo stuff"..."I`m trying to retire", "how much did that cost"?...."you already have two of those"..."you don`t need another one"....

excetera..excetera..blah, blah, woof, woof..!!

I`m on the other side of a divorce daily...
    She digs it while I`m playing what she wants, when she wants...

It`s just a money thing...we`re always broke

and I`m eyeballing a new Cary pre, and some tube amps..!!

I will have my tubes Damn it !!!

so I bought her a new car...:rolleyes:

Dodge Magnum

shut her up for a little while....until I mentioned Mono Blocks..!!!

I`m a Sic man...:D
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,549
    edited February 2007
    cfrizz wrote:

Eep! Sorry Cathy!

You got me there!

:(:p;)
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited February 2007
    Mine is a nightmare and she prefers to listen to her cds on the Sponge Bob alarm clock radio in the garage.
    At least move Sponge Bob into the kitchen so she can listen to some tunes while baking you some pies.... :)

Micheal
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited February 2007
    In the 2 pages of this thread I have come to 1 conclusion to deal with wives:

Bribes

Cars, clothes, purses, furniture, remodeling, vacation all = bribes.
  • pblanc
    edited February 2007
    Dog bribes: chew toys, milkbones, soft bed, walks.
    All much cheaper. My advice: go with dogs, easier to maintain, more affectionate, and you get to pick out a new one ever 10-15 years.
  • pblanc
    edited February 2007
    (and dogs don't talk)
  • cfrizz
    edited February 2007
    No Mark, the way to deal with wives = compromise & moderation! DO NOT FOLLOW BEARDOGS example!:eek: :p;):D
    In the 2 pages of this thread I have come to 1 conclusion to deal with wives:

Bribes

Cars, clothes, purses, furniture, remodeling, vacation all = bribes.
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited February 2007
    There always glad to see you even if you smell like another dog......
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • TennesseeOutlaw
    TennesseeOutlaw Posts: 414
    edited February 2007
    I must be lucky.. I am not married, but I have a girlfriend of almost 3 years, and she absolutely loves home theater and listening to music at damn near deafinin' levels. She had never heard a home theater before we met. By the third of fourth time she came over to my place, she had already taken control of the 4 remotes!! She loves her "disney" cartoon movies, i.e Shrek, The Incredibles, Ice Age, etc.etc. So, everytime I get me a couple of dvd's or cd's I just make sure to pick up the newest "toon" on the market.. Fortunately, for my sake, I love the movies too, and she doesnt even know that I am really purchasing them for myself and NOT her!! LOL As far as the upgrade thing goes, which I am in the process of doing now, I dont know yet if she will notice a "big" enough difference in sound to justify the rather large jump in funds.. I will get back to ya on that..

BTW, whenever I go and look at a new place (house, condo, appt.) I always look to see where all my stereo equipment is going first.. Where is there a solid 3 wall back where the tv and speakers go? If there isnt a good enough spot, that place is generally taken off of the list.. Long story short, WE go and look at a house, about 2450 sq. ft., and a really nice house.. There wasnt 2 closed off walls in the entire house, except of course the bedrooms, and my girlfriend turns to me and says this isnt going to work.. We get back out to the car and I asked her what the problem was, and she tells me, I didnt see a good place to put MYYY home theater and tv at!! LMAO
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited February 2007
    cfrizz wrote:
    No Mark, the way to deal with wives = compromise & moderation! DO NOT FOLLOW BEARDOGS example!:eek: :p;):D

You can't deny the fact that it works :D