Best SB commercial?

2»

Comments

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited February 2007
    read-alot wrote:
    The mutt who made it to the Dalmation seat on the Bud wagon has my vote.

That was a good one, the hot babe gettin' all dirty was the icing on the cake.
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited February 2007
    The commercials sucked major this year but I liked the Blockuster one.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited February 2007
    MikeC78 wrote:
    The halftime show was horrible, who likes Prince???

I do...to each his own..
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited February 2007
    no one mentioned the Snickers commercial?

I liked that one..
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited February 2007
    krabby5 wrote:
    no one mentioned the Snickers commercial?

I liked that one..
    Post #29
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • wodom1
    wodom1 Posts: 1,054
    edited February 2007
    I thought the careerbuilder.com commercials with the 'surviving the office' theme were pretty good. I also enjoyed the Snickers commercial where the guy ended up kissing the other guy when they 'shared' the candybar.
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
    Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
  • TennesseeOutlaw
    TennesseeOutlaw Posts: 414
    edited February 2007
    I must be the only one on this forum that was too F'n drunk to remember a single commercial..
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited February 2007
    Snickers pulls smooch ad after complaints

I thought it was funny, but I guess it was offensive.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited February 2007
    The problem with the Snickers commercial was that they had filmed and posted alternate endings on their website. If they'd have left it as is I think it would have been funny (and I was laughing my **** off when I first saw it). Clearly the one aired was the lesser offensive of them all, but when you look at it in terms of the underlying implication (intended or not), you have to recognize that it's inappropriate.

When the alternate endings on the website to the accidental kiss are "hit me with a giant wrench and slam my head under a hood", and "let me ingest toxic chemicals so I can't be even remotely perceived as ****" then the overall implication is that it's something to be ashamed of etc etc. and that's where the problem comes in. I think one or two of the players watching the commercial laughed and thought it was funny, but several clearly didn't.

How many of y'all would have thought it would be a ****/**** group that would want the ad pulled?
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited February 2007
  • brettw22
    edited February 2007
    I'd think it'd be more straight people that would have had a problem with the fact that 2 guys were kind of kissing actually.......

At face value if you didn't know about the alternate endings, it might not seem so bad, but the alternates put a pattern out there on the implications.......
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited February 2007
    I agree that the alternate endings put a violent twist to the whole thing, and it was really a stupid move. You know you're treading on sensitive ground with that kind of thing, why you would try and push it like that is just beyond me. Especially considering the size of the marketing department that a huge corporation like M&M/Mars has, you'd think someone would have objected.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited February 2007
    America, the land of the offended. :rolleyes:
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• brettw22
    edited February 2007
    As someone who has been ganged up on and hit over the head with a chunk of asphalt for nothing more than being ****, I'm not all that concerned with why people don't understand that a message implying violence or anything of the sort is something that should be done to admonish any appearance of being ****.
  • F1nut
    edited February 2007
    So, you got hit in the head for being ****. I got shot for being American, stabbed for being white and got my **** kicked once by a group of guys for being from a better area of town. So what!?!

Relax bro, stop taking it all personally.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• brettw22
    edited February 2007
    You know I'm far from being some sort of militant **** person..........but when the pitch for a product infers that some form of violence is how to cure or address the appearance of something (be it ****, white, black, whatever), that's a bit outside the scope of what an advertisements purpose is.
  • F1nut
    edited February 2007
    I can see your point to some degree. On the other hand there are an almost unlimited number of TV shows and movies that infer that violence is how to address any number of issues.

Militant you're not, vigilant perhaps. :)

President of Club Polk

• Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited February 2007
    Jesse -- you've got six lives remaining.

Brett militant? :rolleyes: The first thing I thought of during the snickers ad was.. hey that's unusual but what crossed my mind was the "you got your chocolate in my peanut butter" campaign.
    B0004MYJ3I.01-A3CDPEGSIQM61V._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V45537193_.jpg
  • F1nut
    edited February 2007
    I took two back. :D

President of Club Polk

• wodom1
    wodom1 Posts: 1,054
    edited February 2007
    brettw22 wrote:
    At face value if you didn't know about the alternate endings, it might not seem so bad, but the alternates put a pattern out there on the implications.......

I never knew about the alternate ending until reading an article about it yesterday. I chuckled at the one that aired during the game though.
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
    Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited February 2007
    brettw22 wrote:
    I'd think it'd be more straight people that would have had a problem with the fact that 2 guys were kind of kissing actually.......

I kind of agree with this but would add a little more. When I watched it I thought it was funny, on second viewing, I thought the G&L's would get upset and then I thought about it and straight men and automechanics should be the ones offended as being portrayed as food driven, moronic homophobes. Anyway, in the end I feel it's much ado about nothing...
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin