Who is moving to Vista?

Comments

• POLKOHOLIC
    POLKOHOLIC Posts: 407
    edited January 2007
    everyone will move to vista...its just a matter of time. when XP first came out - there were countless people saying they will never upgrade from 98. look what everyone is using now.

the thing is...new PC's will now ship with Vista installed and soon everything will be Vista compatible. My guess is the majority of PC users will use Vista by late-2008 and microsoft will start to phase out windows xp by mid-2009. software/hardware compatibility will start to decline for windows XP and increase for Vista by mid 2009 and by 2010 windows XP will be used primarily by non-computer savvy folk.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited January 2007
    Bill Gates issued a press release this afternoon that he would not start using Windows Vista on his personal computers until all of the bugs were worked out. :confused:
  • Roy Munson
    Roy Munson Posts: 886
    edited January 2007
    I bought a new Dell PC about two months ago that came with XP Home Media Ed. I get a free upgrade to Vista Premium for $10.00 shipping and handling when it's available. So I may or may not put it on the new computer, I haven't decided yet. The point someone made about most people switching to Vista in the next couple of years is probably correct as was mentioned most new PC's will ship with some form of Vista.
    2 Channel:
    Amp/Parasound Halo A23
    Pre/Carver C-1
    Tuner/Carver TX-11a
    CDP/Jolida JD 100A
    Turntable/AR XB-Shure V15 III
  • IanD
    IanD Posts: 59
    edited January 2007
    Min 1 SP before I even think of changing. Did enough dancing when XP was first released upon the unsuspecting masses.
    Yamaha RX-V1500
    Pioneer Elite DV-46AV
    Scientific Atalana 8300 PVR-HD
    Panasonic TH-42PX60U
    Polk RTi10
    Polk CSi5
    Polk F/Xi3
    Polk PSW 350
    Mike's IC's
    DIY speaker cables (Kimber 4VS Shotgunned)
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited January 2007
    Stay away stay far away. Whenever a new OS comes out you the consumer has to basically bata test it for Microsoft. There are just way to many different combinations of software and hardware for Microsoft to get all the bugs out before releasing it. With new OS's there are many issues with supporting different hardware. Some of the stuff you have now may not work with Vista. Computers that run great with XP can be serious dogs with Vista, and for the security crap that comes with Vista it asks you 3 times nearly every time you go to change something. Wait a year for the bugs to get worked out, and the hardware to get better.
    Ben
    Owner of a Computer Repair and Networking company
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • izafar
    izafar Posts: 819
    edited January 2007
    This link http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/29/xp-vs-vista/ has a comparison between XP and Vista using a variety of applications, it is interesting to see that most apps run slower on VISTA. So I will hold off until apps specifically tuned for vista comes into market.
    -izafar

Goldenear Technology Triton 1 - Benchmark AHB2 - Benchmark LA4 - Auralic Vega - Auralic Aries Mini - Marantz TT-15S1 - Clearaudio Nano
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited January 2007
    Personally I don't want to be on the bleeding edge of O/S's

Using any Microsoft O/S assures you of that.;)

Linux Lover
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited January 2007
    What sort of power tube is this bad boy going to run? 6550's ? EL34?

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • TennesseeOutlaw
    TennesseeOutlaw Posts: 414
    edited January 2007
    Out of all the various Windows aplications currently sold publicly, the only one(s) that I would consider for a home application would probably be Windows '95 & '98... Windows 2000, Millenium, XP, and +++ have too many "UN"fixes and undeniable problems.. Fix what the HELL is already wrong, or give it the 'EFF up and go on.. Every Windows OS has increasing gotten worse and worse.. Is there a point in which we all say, "It's time to go MAC!!!"
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2007
    Shizelbs wrote:
    Windows Vista comes out tomorrow I think. Who will be getting it and what version will you be purchasing?

I will certainly be getting it, and when I do it will be the Ultimate version.

However, its going to be a while before I do. I need to build another computer before I can think about installing it and my current computer still has some life in it. I will be going balls-out when I do upgrade though.

I'm getting a free copy from Microsoft. . . it was a promotion for the E-machine I just purchased. Imost likely will be selling it . . . I WILL NEVER INSTALL A NEW MS OS RELEASE!!!
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited January 2007
    I don't plan to ever change from XP home or Pro anytime soon.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited January 2007
    I WILL NEVER INSTALL A NEW MS OS RELEASE!!!
    Why? Couldn't be worse than having to use an E-Machine.

:D
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2007
    audiobliss wrote:
    Why? Couldn't be worse than having to use an E-Machine.

:D

Naa I disagree. . . I bought an E-machine in 1998 and it just now took a dump, it was a good upgradable PC. That is why I have a new one. After I fix the video problem it has the little guy will be getting it for school work ONLY.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited January 2007
    disneyjoe7 wrote:
    I don't plan to ever change from XP home or Pro anytime soon.

Unfortunately you won't have much of a choice in a few years. So if never is a few years, I'm with ya. ;)
  • disneyjoe7
    edited January 2007
    Demiurge wrote:
    Unfortunately you won't have much of a choice in a few years. So if never is a few years, I'm with ya. ;)

Well I agree when new software comes out newer computers will be built around it. newer software will be made for it. Old OS will bog down with newer software, hardware will not like the OS system and we all start again. Sad but true. Does anyone wish to run win 3.1 again on a 286 / 386 / 486 PC would you dear to run XP on it? Just last week I trashed a Pent 2 - 400mhz machine because to mother board had 16 meg ram would see a 512 stick and I wondered just what it would see ok 64meg / 128meg???? F it trash it.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited January 2007
    I will not be upgrading for a while. Service pack 1 is already in testing to try to fix all of the bugs it has. I will wait at least a year and let the price drop a bit.
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited January 2007
    Out of all the various Windows aplications currently sold publicly, the only one(s) that I would consider for a home application would probably be Windows '95 & '98... Windows 2000, Millenium, XP, and +++ have too many "UN"fixes and undeniable problems.. Fix what the HELL is already wrong, or give it the 'EFF up and go on.. Every Windows OS has increasing gotten worse and worse.. Is there a point in which we all say, "It's time to go MAC!!!"

I would have to be severely beaten to stay with 95/98. 2000 and up (not including ME) are based on NT architecture and are thus much more secure and smoother running. The 95/98/ME jump to 2000/XP is almost as big as the 3.X to 95 jump.
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited January 2007
    I'll be getting Vista when I get a new puter, and that's not anytime soon.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited January 2007
    ledhed wrote:
    The 95/98/ME jump to 2000/XP is almost as big as the 3.X to 95 jump.
    3.x actually worked for more then 15-20 minutes at a time ... 95/98/ME were a joke ...
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2007
    Win ME was the biggest joke of all. i think MS released it as a joke.. and it wasn't really suppose to be useable. and frankly.. it never worked right, ever.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2007
    I wonder how many people got it at midnight tonight.. and are STILL up right now loading it up on the computers? How many of them are having problems with it? LOL

How many people are going to be up all night getting it to work right? ;)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited January 2007
    Micro$oft is notorious for shipping new software that needs another year of beta testing. Remember XP, ME, 98; those were all disasters until the service pack updates came out at least a year to 18 months later. (Ok, ME never came out of it's coma).

The second problem with Vista is that like all OS overhauls, it needs vastly more powerful resources, and at least a gig of memory to be semi speedy.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • disneyjoe7
    edited January 2007
    markmarc wrote:
    like all OS overhauls, it needs vastly more powerful resources, and at least a gig of memory to be semi speedy.

When we the public say enough is enough. What we have works, or we know you can debug it to improve it.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited January 2007
    The deal at walmart is a deal not a speed demon by any means but after building multiple computers and upgrading money spent I would only build one computer and buy the rest at sams or walmart or dell . Instantly putting more ram in them then turn them loose and enjoy them instead of work on them.

I have a disc of every windows os to date with secondary upgrade discs. I would wait to upgrade to vista but if buying a new computer I would get on the wagon
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited January 2007
    I just finally configured a Wi-Fi card on my main machine running x64 XP. I had to go through all my 11G card to see if one of them had a chipset that had x64 drivers for. Finally found one that had RaLink 2500 chipset on it, and it was the cheapest card of them all, an Airlink101.

I am sure Vista will have much better driver support than x64 but be aware that all of your hardware might not work with Vista right away. When I tested Vista (RC1) it was still very immature product, missing a lot of drivers and compatible software. No doubt it is better now but do some research first if you have any 3rd party software that MUST work on the machine.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2007
    I was considering a new desktop. I always buy Dell. EVERYTHING they sell now has Vista loaded in. I really don't want to go with Vista until the bugs are worked out. I went throught that crap with ME and swore never again to get the latest, greatest until there was plenty of real world info. I guess I could get one and add XP Pro after I get it, but that seems like a waste. :(
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • disneyjoe7
    edited February 2007
    My only concern is if Dell as some special driver built in Vista reinstall disk, you may have an issue with XP pro because something isn't working right. Maybe you are cool, but maybe not.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• jmwest1970
    jmwest1970 Posts: 846
    edited February 2007
    disneyjoe7 wrote:
    My only concern is if Dell as some special driver built in Vista reinstall disk, you may have an issue with XP pro because something isn't working right. Maybe you are cool, but maybe not.

Dell keeps drivers for older models with older OS compatibility available for download. You won't have to worry about that for quite awhile.
  • disneyjoe7
    edited February 2007
    jmwest1970 wrote:
    Dell keeps drivers for older models with older OS compatibility available for download. You won't have to worry about that for quite awhile.

I did an US Robotics modem, driver issue couldn't get the driver from Dell website. Any driver from USR which had a different # to it as these must have been retail versions vs. OEM versions. In the end couldn't get the modem to work again without getting a new one. :(

It was a work computer so I called Dell and was told I needed to call a # that would cost X for the first 5min then Y for anything above it. Nice customer service, in the end less frustrating too just replace it. The computer in question was less then 2 years old.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited February 2007
    Nope.

I was a beta tester for Win 98 years ago. It was a nightmare (many hours, day after day on the phone with MS). It took a long time for MS to begin to get it sorted out, and that's after it's (second) release.

Not too long ago I was in on the beta program for IE 7.0 when it still had growing problems. It's much better now, but that's not the same thing as a whole new OS. For me? I'm not spending my money right now on another unproven (IMO) OS. Going to give it some time.