Who is moving to Vista?

Shizelbs
Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
edited February 2007 in The Clubhouse
Windows Vista comes out tomorrow I think. Who will be getting it and what version will you be purchasing?

I will certainly be getting it, and when I do it will be the Ultimate version.

However, its going to be a while before I do. I need to build another computer before I can think about installing it and my current computer still has some life in it. I will be going balls-out when I do upgrade though.
Post edited by Shizelbs on

Comments

• brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited January 2007
    From what I read briefly, if you have XP just wait until you get a new PC but if you have older than XP, you would be very much benefited by upgrading. Something about the amount of security increases are leaps above previous versions whereas XP is moreso protected........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited January 2007
    Hell no, not for at least 18 months or so...
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2007
    Ed Zachry.

I'll give it at least year, out in the 'real world', so all the fixes and patches can be issued and I don't have the headaches.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • polksda
    polksda Posts: 716
    edited January 2007
    jdhdiggs wrote:
    Hell no, not for at least 18 months or so...

Ditto on this. Not only "no" but "[CENSORED] NO!"

Certainly not until a service pack or two comes out.

Even so, I'm very wary of it. Last thing I need is big brother Bill telling me I can't listen to the 50GB of mp3s I made from my own CDs...
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited January 2007
    Hello

I got to Beta test it for awhile. The first one was Beta 2 and then they sent me RC1 to try also. I put it on a computer I built and didn't have any issues with it at all and installed just fine. It did act like it needs a pretty hefty computer to run it though....

Heres what it was installed on:

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
    AMD AThlon 64 X2 3800
    2 gigs of Kingston ram
    MSI Geforce 7900GTX
    Antec Smartpower 2.0 500 watt
    74 gig Raptor
    and a Lian Li PC-60BPLUSII Case

I took it off and put XP on it for now though.... Will probably wait awhile too as am very comfortable with XP and don't see any big reason to change right now....
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited January 2007
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited January 2007
    Sure, just gotta wait for someone to crack the protection on it.... um... I mean... what?
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited January 2007
    I'll upgrade when i get a new laptop. That's not going t happen for at least 2 years. My current laptop is turning 2 in feb.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2007
    i prob won't get it till i replace my current computer later this year.. ie: Christmas 07 or some time next year. I"m in NO hurry at all.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited January 2007
    nope! Not until Vista can play games as fast as XP.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,705
    edited January 2007
    I'd hold off, I don't care who you are. I've been running XP-64 bit, which of course has Explorer 7.0 64 bit. Nothing with flash works properly with this browser. Nothing with Quicktime works with this browser. This OS has been out for more than 3 years, yet there is still limited 64 bit compatibility! ATI still doesn't have drivers for my TV Tuner card. My soundcard drivers are extremely limited. I could go on and on. But hey, its fast! Granted, my 32bit XP installation is long in the tooth with lots-o-crap installed. My 64bit install is only a few months old and I've left it purposefully spartan.

Anyway, I really just meant to point out that the 3 year old OS still doesn't have full support. I expect many headaches from Vista users in the coming year or two.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited January 2007
    dude, windows 98 RULEZ!!!!! :D
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • PolkWannabie
    edited January 2007
    PolkThug wrote:
    nope! Not until Vista can play games as fast as XP.
    With the same processor(s) that will be never ...
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,667
    edited January 2007
    Checking my installation history, I see that I've installed

fixes, patches, Service Patches, critical updates, tweaks, twiddles, fiddles, and twists for Windows Xp since it came out. :(

Of course, a portion of that

is for sound card, video card, motherboard, other hardware updates.

Most were for Xp, though.

I think I'll wait.
    Sal Palooza
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2007
    I was looking at the Wal-Mart ad and the Presario with a 19" flat panel, 200g DH, 1g ram and Vista premium (worth $160+tax alone) for $698. Thats a freaking great deal. Not to mention on of the best alltime computers on the market.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited January 2007
    scottvamp wrote:
    I was looking at the Wal-Mart ad and the Presario with a 19" flat panel, 200g DH, 1g ram and Vista premium (worth $160+tax alone) for $698. Thats a freaking great deal. Not to mention on of the best alltime computers on the market.

Uh... what? You're talking about a COMPAQ, right?

I wouldn't pay 700 bucks for a Compaq filled with gold bullion.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • noimposse
    noimposse Posts: 264
    edited January 2007
    scottvamp wrote:

If you were to get that PC, I'd certainly recommend getting another gig of ram to accompany what is already there for Vista. I was running with all the playskool visual stuff on with my machine and it could have definitely benefited from more than the gig I have. With the 512 on my laptop, it was even slower.

As for getting Vista anytime soon....maybe, but I most likely won't be putting it on my main PC.
    Ghetto Rig
    Power: HK AVR245.
    Screen: LG 24" 1080p.
    Speaks: Rti4.
    Source: PC. PS3. Xbox360.
    Cables: BlueJeans. Monoprice.
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited January 2007
    I've read that they've had over 5 million people test the beta of Vista, so, it should be more operational out of the box than prior OS's. I was an early early adapter of XP and I had no problems with it. Blew 98 right out of the water.
  • PolkWannabie
    edited January 2007
    bobman1235 wrote:

Me either ... Way too much of their own proprietary BS ... Always has been ...
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited January 2007
    I had it installed on my laptop since November 06 (the business version). Upgrade install took about 3 hours from XP. Integration to XP home network is unstable, file transfer between XP and Vista doesn't work too well, lots of time out. RAM with less than 1024MB (1GB) will guaranteed a crawl lethargic performance. This is true with Pentium M laptop. Graphic quality is very good, even on an old ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 with 32 MB on board memory. All in all, it is a necessary evil to have, eventually.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • PolkWannabie
    edited January 2007
    Shizelbs wrote:
    I've read that they've had over 5 million people test the beta of Vista, so, it should be more operational out of the box than prior OS's. I was an early early adapter of XP and I had no problems with it. Blew 98 right out of the water.
    You mean you didn't enjoy the BSOD's ?
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2007
    I'm still trying to figure out how to play Myst on MS-DOS 6.2 os.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2007
    Just giving a heads up on a good deal. I got the same price model two years ago. Yes it is a Compaq. That is all i have ever owned, great CS and i have never had a single problem with either Presario i have owned (8 years total)Compared to DELL they are VERY reliabe upgradeable computers.
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2007
    bobman1235 wrote:

Sounds like deal you would lose out on. Presario's are easy to upgrade so getting to the gold would be a snap.:D
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited January 2007
    Really? Compaq must have changed a lot in the past decade. They were complete garbage from 95-2001. Using bottlenecked MB's, onboard graphics and sound, proprietary OS BS.... I'd agree with Bob, no thanks...
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2007
    Really, compared to Dell anything is better. Seeing that technology doubles every couple years, i would say that computers have changed in the last 7 years.
    I got a Presario 5000T in late 99 or 2000. Windows Millenium just hit the market. Most awarded computer series and i have a couson that still uses it 8years later.
    The new VooDoo series is sweet. http://www.voodoopc.com/showroom.aspx?categoryID=1

Anyway its HP now after a 4 year merger.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited January 2007
    I will only get it when I need a new pc.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited January 2007
    I'm have a disc ready to install - I just need the serial (it's a legal installation, the MSDN site that has the serials was down awhile back and I haven't bothered to check back with my teacher). I'm going to dual boot to get the gist of it.
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited January 2007
    ledhed wrote:
    I'm have a disc ready to install - I just need the serial (it's a legal installation, the MSDN site that has the serials was down awhile back and I haven't bothered to check back with my teacher). I'm going to dual boot to get the gist of it.
    Make a bit-to-bit copy of your existing OS. I don't know how well they have fixed it, or if at all, but the RC1 would not co-exist with XP or Linux. I will not get one anytime soon, maybe when it's time for a new computer with DX10 video card.
  • jmwest1970
    jmwest1970 Posts: 846
    edited January 2007
    During 7 years as an MCSE I've learned one thing. Never, and I mean NEVER install a Microsoft product until a Service Pack has been released. It's not that they're programming is worse than anyone else, it's the fact that Microsoft software typically has millions of lines of code. If they waited until the software was stable to release it we'd get an upgrade every decade or so.