wow, all this digital sound graet!!! BUT...

haroo
haroo Posts: 83
now that i have my new "sacd & dvd-dvda" hooked up , all that i can think about is that i have 1000 lp's but my marantz pre/pro (sr18-ex) has no phono input ... how can i hook it up without buying a phono amp. can i just use the "tape" input on the marantz(i would just try i but it's a **** load o' work to move the "flexy rack" (4 shelfs/48"-24") out from the wall just to find out that it will not work.
any advise or help in this matter would be wonderfull :)
...isnt this the way that it allways goes.... just when you think that your happy with youur system... you open the closet door and see the component that it all started with,and you think ~ya'!, that what i need... i need the "warmth of ANALOG!~
someone told me that"friends dont let friends listen to "digital"...man, where the hell are all my FRIENDS then?!?!
thx... in advance,
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
--MARANTZ SR18ex 140wpc x 5 (high current/direct amp)thx-ex "ultra"
electrohome tube amp 15watt. pr channel(aprox.1955a.d.) for 2 channel audio{recently recapped& tubed-5ar4power rect. & 12au7)
-kenwood amp(km-996/140wpc(used for 7.1 rears(thx ex)
-toshiba dvd video/audio player(progressive scan) sd-4700
-sony sacd cd player scd-xe670
-nakamichi "music bank cd player "6+1disk(20bit dac)
-toshiba hifi vcr (v3 pro head)
-motorola digital cable box
-RCA 32' "home theater" PIP tv
-polk RT800i x 2 (mains) ~bi-wired
-polk sc400i x 1 (center) ~bi-wired
-polk fx300i x 2 (side fx) ~di-pole
-polk r10 x 2 (rears)
-polk pws250 (powered sub)
-2x173ltr(48"-16")sono subs(powered by kenwood kr-7200 250watt & w/ audiosource EQ (model eq eight/series II)
-Thorens td-166 mk II/Grado silver fs1
-Thorens td-160/empire 66cart
-Dual 601
-D.I.Y. carfea "little big horns"-(pioneer full range 8" & fostex 4" compression horn tweaters
-sony (ps1)
-sony (ps2)

-haroo, "GOD gave you the gift of sound, Your gift to God is what you do with it!"
"marantz haroo"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post edited by haroo on

Comments

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited August 2002
    Phono needs phono in. I'm sad to hear your Marantz doesn't have it. I've never shopped for a phono-pre, but I've seen many tasties to be had.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited August 2002
    If you want a phono on the cheap...radio shack had one the last time I looked..I think it can be had for 40 bucks......pre amp that is..it's powered 2.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited August 2002
    Haroo I think you can use the "tape in". I THINK.

I almost bought a record player at Ultimate Electronics. The guy there told me to put it in one of the outputs. But I cannot remember which one.(Maybe CD-2?) Go to your local HIFI and ask them. They should be able to direct you in the right direction.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited August 2002
    Haroo I think you can use the "tape in". I THINK
    No you can't! You must have a dedicated phono input or a phono pre amp.
    The guy there told me to put it in one of the outputs
    Another prime example of how "some" of these sales people don't have a clue. Your new turntable would not have worked and he should have known that.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2002
    Depends on the turntable actually. Some newer, less expensive models have the phono stage built-in to the unit. Not many, but some do.

Regardless, it (phono stage) is a must.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited August 2002
    records aren't sold here anymore but it is still well alive and kicking......Seems like you could drop some super serious cash for a good table....Me I'm over that format.......long ago.
    By the way B&K,Rotel sells a nice looking Preamp.....Phono that is.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited August 2002
    Originally posted by haroo
    ... how can i hook it up without buying a phono amp. can i just use the "tape" input on the marantz

In January of 2001 I bought a preamp (Adcom GFP-750) that did not have a phono stage. I also have a lot of records, so I understand your frustration.

I considered buying a phono preamp, but the two that I considered (the Rotel RQ-970BX and the Parasound PPH-100) did not sound as good as the phono stage in my old Yamaha C-85 preamp.

My final, and totally satisfactory solution was to use the Yamaha C-85 preamp as a phono preamp. The turntable is plugged into the phono inputs of the Yamaha C-85. The main outputs of the C-85 are plugged into one of the auxiliary inputs of the Adcom GFP-750.

Unless your turntable has a built-in phono equalizer, you must use a phono preamp or a preamp that has a phono stage. Phono records are recorded with RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America) equalization wherein the high and low frequencies are boosted prior to cutting the grooves. This process is called pre-emphasis. Pre-emphasis is used to even out the size of the high and low frequency grooves. To restore the recovered signals frequency response, de-emphasis is required and this is the function of an RIAA phono stage or phono pre-amp.

If you like building stuff, there are a lot of schematics for RIAA preamps around the Internet. Just do a search on "phono preamp" or "RIAA equalizer".
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited August 2002
    If you're interested in one of the little Radio Shack phono preamps, I've got one I'll send you for $10+ship (which wouldn't be much). It's nothing fancy. Considering the other nice gear you own, you might want to go higher-quality.

Jason
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited August 2002
    raife1, that was an excellent explanation! I never knew about the pre/de emphasis but after you explained it all makes sense.

Thanks
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited August 2002
    Small correction, the RIAA eq curve pressed on a record is -20 db for low fq and +20db at high fq's, this curve is reversed at the preamp section, a phono pre amp has a 20db boost on the low fq's and a 20db cut on the high fq's.
    WHY?
    when pressing a record the high fq's are tiny waves inside the groove and low fq's are very large, so to increase S/N ratios of the high's they are boosted so the needle can "see" them better, the low fq's are decreased so their big waves will fit in the small grooves of the record.

So you need a phono preamp that has the correcting eq curve to get you favorite song back to normal.

Here is a link
    http://www.audioamps.com/technotes/note002eq/RIAA/data/RIAA-EIC.pdf
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited August 2002
    I considered buying a phono preamp, but the two that I considered (the Rotel RQ-970BX and the Parasound PPH-100) did not sound as good as the phono stage in my old Yamaha C-85 preamp.

Well.....imagine that....:D
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2002
    yeah yeah yeah

KING YAMMIE
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • DaMonk
    DaMonk Posts: 8
    edited August 2002
    Yes you can use any input unused do you have an aux. input
    may want to use that only issue I'm not sure how to remedy is the ground do you have if so youre home free.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited August 2002
    Originally posted by hoosier21
    Small correction, the RIAA eq curve pressed on a record is -20 db for low fq and +20db at high fq's,

Thanks hoosier21...you certainly couldn't "even out the size of the grooves" if both ends of the frequency spectrum were boosted!:cool: I meant to say "the high frequencies are boosted and the low frequencies are cut." Sometimes I think faster than I type.:confused:
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited August 2002
    Yes you can use any input unused do you have an aux.

Have you ever actually tried hooking up a magnetic cartridge turntable this way? Won't work unless you like the sound really tinny and quiet....

The output from a mag cartridge is something like 100 times less than line level---- almost like a microphone--- you need an additional preamp to boost the signal, as well as apply the RIAA equalization discussed above.

Jason
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited August 2002
    I tried hooking up my turntable to my Marantz SR5000 via the tape input, it does not work.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited August 2002
    My Dyanco PAT4 Preamp has a magnetic phono input rated for 47,000ohms. The standard aux and tape inputs have an impedence of 600ohms.

It's like trying to listen to your speakers using a 1/4" plug and your headphone jack.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited August 2002
    I too bought a 1980's turntable to revive my old lp's.. i bought a small pre-amp and hooked it up to the rear of my Marantz SR5000 on the aux input. it did boost the sound.. but i could never get a bad hum out of the turntable. Yes it was properly grounded. BTW, turntable was a Bang and Ofulsen with a new $80 stylus. So i had to sell the turntable and do without my vinyl.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited August 2002
    Originally posted by haroo
    now that i have my new "sacd & dvd-dvda" hooked up

haroo,

how do you like your SACD and your DVDA players? more specifically, how do they sound? Do you like one format over the other? I have a DVDA player. and love the sound. I've wondered how it compares to SACD.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin: