School Daze

13»

Comments

• wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited January 2007
    Early B. wrote:
    Supply and demand. There are too many lawyers in America, so many of them don't make very much money unless they have connections or graduate at the top of their class. Your situation is probably a bit different because you already have extensive experience in law enforcement.

BTW Wing -- what does the Legal Bureau do? Thanks.
    They are the dept's official legal department. They provide legal advice for oficers and represent the dept in all legal matters. I am just wondering though if they pay more with the law degree or if they just still abide by the scale....
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited January 2007
    Mine was $34K Phantom...
    I'll be paying for longer:D
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited January 2007
    Mine's at $38k + misc. expenses and climbing yearly.

Anyone interested in picking up the tab for me? :D
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited January 2007
    game, set, match BaggedLancer:D
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited January 2007
    Lol unfortunately it's not one of those games im proud to win :)
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited January 2007
    Well, thankfully for me, I went to a need based school. I started out with a Navy ROTC scholarship, but dropped it because I would have been in just as much debt without it as opposed to using it and owing Uncle Sam 8 years of my life.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited January 2007
    Mine was $27K/year, but that was 7 yrs ago. I hear its at that price per semester now. I was looking at getting my MBA for management stupidity reasons, but the MBA program at UPenn right now is pushing $60K/year, uh, no thanks, not for about a 10% raise upon graduation...

$100/ credit sounds GREAT!
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited January 2007
    They are the dept's official legal department. They provide legal advice for oficers and represent the dept in all legal matters. I am just wondering though if they pay more with the law degree or if they just still abide by the scale....

OK, so your job would be to uphold the sanctity of the fraternal brotherhood of police? I thought you wanted to nail crooked cops.

I could be wrong, but it sounds like a legal arm within a police department would be filled with lawyers who don't have a problem "bending" the law in order to to keep cops out of court and out of jail.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited January 2007
    :eek: :eek: OUCH!:eek: :eek:
    Early B. wrote:
    OK, so your job would be to uphold the sanctity of the fraternal brotherhood of police? I thought you wanted to nail crooked cops.

I could be wrong, but it sounds like a legal arm within a police department would be filled with lawyers who don't have a problem "bending" the law in order to to keep cops out of court and out of jail.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited January 2007

Got my B.S. from there a few years ago, and have the loans to prove it. But i also have a decent job at the place I cooped with, so it was definitely worth it.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited January 2007
    My guess is that the dept's legal department would only pay slightly better than scale. Additionally, your history with them might make it difficult for you and the clients (if your a friend of a guy and you find out his dirty secrets or a guy you hate is someone you have to defend).

On the other hand, it would be about a gauranteed job and gives you experience to leave in the future.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited January 2007
    Early B. wrote:

You don't think more people are after the police, then police being on the wrong side of the law? I don't believe people who are policeman are bad people to begin with, but it maybe the system which changed them. Their jobs and pressures on their family live is tremendous all in all.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited January 2007
    I would be lying if I said I did not want to make tons of dough. I have heard that from a lot of people actually....that many law graduates are not really making bank. What gives there?

Congrats on your decision to invest in more education. It is always one of the best things a person can do for themselves.

Many law graduates are not making bank because they don't know how to position themselves properly in the market place. Legal clients go to an attorney because they are looking for a specific result. If an attorney has demonstrated that he/she can deliver a specific result, clients will beat a path to that attorney's door.

Spend some time reading the biographies of the most successful attorneys. The common factor in all of them is that they had one big case where they delivered a great result for their client(s), usually against highly unfavorable odds. After that one big case, whether it was divorce, personal injury, criminal, etc., they were "on the map" so to speak. Therefore, if you are interested in climbing to the top ranks in the legal biz, you've got to go into it looking for that first big case, that first opportunity to let future clients know what you can do for them. Also, find something you are passionate about, whether it is going after crooked cops, socking large corporations with huge personal injury verdicts, or protecting wealthy clients against outrageous divorce settlements to their golddigging soon-to-be-ex spouses.

On the other hand, if you just want to be financially comfortable and toil away in relative obscurity, then working for a state or federal agency or the legal department of a large corporation are good alternatives to consider.

Regardless of what you decide to focus on, good luck with everything.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited January 2007
    Best of Luck Darla!
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited January 2007
    My friends wife is a lawyer for a BIG DC lawfirm. She put herself through lawschool while working at this firm (got her college degree in Criminal Justice). After lawschool, she passed the Bar Exam, still works for this firm now as a full fledged corporate law attorney making big $$$!

She finished lawschool in 2005 and passed the bar in November 2005. Right after passing the bar and taking a new position a month later, I know she hit $120k/yr. From what I know with talking to my friend, it is much higher than that after only 1 year.

Darla, go for it! Remember, if you feel the urge to be someones sugar mama, I would like to apply! :D

John
    No excuses!
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited January 2007
    Strong Bad wrote:

Darla, go for it! Remember, if you feel the urge to be someones sugar mama, I would like to apply! :D

John

Line starts behind me...!!!

Good for you !

I hope all goes well for you with school..

I find myself on the edge of needing to go to school to get a better job, and make more money for my insane hobby..!!

I will be looking into it soon myself
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited January 2007
    Thanks for all the encouragement guys. I like the sound of 120K :D

I guess I will learn as I go.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited January 2007
    Strong Bad wrote:
    Right after passing the bar and taking a new position a month later, I know she hit $120k/yr.

You have to be careful when considering salary offers. $120 k/yr is really only $60 k/yr if you are working 80 hours per week. At some top law firms, a 14 hour day is expected for partners and senior associate attorneys, but they typically have weekends off. For junior associates just joining a big firm, 16+ hours per day and lots of weekend work is often the norm because they are doing a lot of the grunt research work for the senior people.

Another thing to consider is that most law firms do not offer a benefits package (health insurance, retirement pension, etc.) to junior or even senior associates. In many law firms, only partners receive a benefits package.

Therefore, when you consider $120,000 divided by the long hours minus your out of pocket costs for health insurance, life insurance, and retirement savings, you might only end up with a $40,000 or $50,000 per year job.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2007
    You have to be careful when considering salary offers. $120 k/yr is really only $60 k/yr if you are working 80 hours per week. At some top law firms, a 14 hour day is expected for partners and senior associate attorneys, but they typically have weekends off. For junior associates just joining a big firm, 16+ hours per day and lots of weekend work is often the norm because they are doing a lot of the grunt research work for the senior people.

Another thing to consider is that most law firms do not offer a benefits package (health insurance, retirement pension, etc.) to junior or even senior associates. In many law firms, only partners receive a benefits package.

Therefore, when you consider $120,000 divided by the long hours minus your out of pocket costs for health insurance, life insurance, and retirement savings, you might only end up with a $40,000 or $50,000 per year job.

My sentiments exactly . . .I worked not as an attorney but as a contractor in the IT industry for some time and the $175+K that was being made at that time was full of hidden expenses as well as 80 hour work weeks. My advise, choose your job based on what you love to do rather than the money eventually your money will catch up to your love because you will have been doing such great work the powers that be will freely reward you for it.