School Daze

Comments

• Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited January 2007
    True. That may be too much for me when it comes down to the really guilty guys. I have an interest in protecting people against rights violations though for some reason. I guess from seeing it on the job ( not me) and harboring disdain for officers who make bad or illegal arrests. It gives the honest cops a bad rep.

Oh yeah, now we're talking!!!

Take them dirty cops down!! They're the reason many people don't trust the police.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited January 2007
    Early B. wrote:
    Oh yeah, now we're talking!!!

Take them dirty cops down!! They're the reason many people don't trust the police.

Don't I know that! Hell! I don't trust them either!LOL:D
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited January 2007
    Go for it Darla. I returned to University full-time in my mid 30's and did 2 degrees back to back, still working 3 part-time jobs. I was busy and it was a struggle, but I do not regret one minute. Besides, it paid for itself in a short period of time. The end result is I now enjoy what I do and am better off financially. Good Luck!
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited January 2007
    Good luck Darla! I'm glad to see you go for it. Do real estate or contract law. It's a decent field and you won't have to deal with the criminal element, just the corporate sleeze.
    Carl

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2007
    Go get 'em kid! Good luck. My wife just finished 5 years of nursing school to get her R.N and was paid to go to school by all kinds of grants and scholarships, they are out there to be had by those who seek them. . . .it seems to be the most rewarding thing she has done in her life.

I've been toying with thoughts of going back to school . . . I've been out since 1975 and even though I made lots of cabbage, I always hated the work. I would like to get my BA in maybe the culinary arts just to accomplish the degree.

Knock em dead!
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited January 2007
    I would like to get my BA in maybe the culinary arts just to accomplish the degree.

You cook bro?

Carl
    Carl

• hearingimpared
    edited January 2007
    schwarcw wrote:
    You cook bro?

Carl

Big time!!! My Italian Mother started me cooking when I was five years old.
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2007
    Carl, when I had my audio business back in the late 80 -early 90, my brother and I had decided to open a restaurant so I got a job as a cook along with the audio business and my regular job at SMS. I became the souse chef there for two years and loved it. I had quit my regular job and worked at the restaurant until my brother and I decided against opening one of our own.

That's enough here, don't want to hijack the thread.
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited January 2007
    Darla, Follow your heart and go for it. Do what you enjoy for a living, the money will follow.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• wingnut4772
    edited January 2007
    I just took my Spanish CLEP test and passed! YAY :D 6 college credits for me for $75.00.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited January 2007
    Passed Spanish...

Hmmm I thinking living in Miami had something to do with that. :)

Congrats.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited January 2007
    Congrats Darla!

Just keep in mind that becoming an attorney isn't necessarily a ticket to diamonds and riches. My wife passed the Bar, practiced law for two years within a small firm and could barely make two ends meet. Now she works for the Federal Gov...

Sounds like you're in it for the right reasons though.. i.e. your passion for the field and not the money (though I'm sure you'll become filthy, stinking rich anyway.. so please disregard my rambling:D )
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • wingnut4772
    edited January 2007
    disneyjoe7 wrote:
    Passed Spanish...

Hmmm I thinking living in Miami had something to do with that. :)

Congrats.
    Definitely! Deja me ver tu licencia por favor!:D
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• wingnut4772
    edited January 2007
    Congrats Darla!

Just keep in mind that becoming an attorney isn't necessarily a ticket to diamonds and riches. My wife passed the Bar, practiced law for two years within a small firm and could barely make two ends meet. Now she works for the Federal Gov...

Sounds like you're in it for the right reasons though.. i.e. your passion for the field and not the money (though I'm sure you'll become filthy, stinking rich anyway.. so please disregard my rambling:D )

I would be lying if I said I did not want to make tons of dough. I have heard that from a lot of people actually....that many law graduates are not really making bank. What gives there?
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited January 2007
    I just took my Spanish CLEP test and passed! YAY :D 6 college credits for me for $75.00.

Felicitaciones!!!!!!

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited January 2007
    I think it really comes down to whether or not you can get connected to a large firm... in which case, be prepared to work some of the most hellacious hours on the planet.
    Once you become established, break away and do your own thing and still make bank.

However, starting off at a small-firm can be difficult financially. Only so much of the pie to go around, and if you're low person on the totem pole, be prepared to fight, scratch, and claw for your share.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • wingnut4772
    edited January 2007
    Is your wife happy with the money she makes now with the Gov?
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• zombie boy 2000
    edited January 2007
    Unbelievably happy... as am I:D
    The prestige was halved, but the money doubled. Go figure.

If you can get in with the Federal Gov with a law degree under your belt, you should skyrocket. You might have to swallow your pride for a year or two while people you graduated with ask you to perfrom menial tasks... but it's all temporary. I couldn't be more proud of my gal:)
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited January 2007
    Oh yes. $390 a credit !:eek: My job pays 1/2 but I am done upgrading for a while. I will have to figure out how to pay for law school in two years or so but I guess I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

I am at a little over $1100 a credit, yes thats correct, a SINGLE credit. I have zero financial aid. It doesn't hurt right now but it surely will when I graduate and the loans need to be paid :mad: :eek:

Right now I'm playing the work and save(sometimes :) ) game. I have a little under a year to go for my Bachelors in Business Administration.....can't wait to get out and get a permanent job.

Anyway, good luck with the classes, criminal law classes are always interesting from what I hear.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited January 2007
    Hi Darla, ZB is correct. If you work for a big firm, you will most probably make good money but not the kind of money that partners get. But you will almost have no life!

If you decide to work for the goverment, you will take a huge paycut, but you will most likely have a life. Mind you what you will be making with the goverment will not be chump change, you will be doing a lot better than most who don't have a law degree!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • wingnut4772
    edited January 2007
    Unbelievably happy... as am I:D
    The prestige was halved, but the money doubled. Go figure.

If you can get in with the Federal Gov with a law degree under your belt, you should skyrocket. You might have to swallow your pride for a year or two while people you graduated with ask you to perfrom menial tasks... but it's all temporary. I couldn't be more proud of my gal:)
    Thanks. I was thinking of staying on the Dep't and just going to the Legal Bureau also as an officer. That would be a schweet gig and maybe the best of both worlds with my retirement. I guess as I learn more I will figure it out. The problem is that right now I make in the area of 70 to 80K and I want to do better.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• wingnut4772
    edited January 2007
    I am at a little over $1100 a credit, yes thats correct, a SINGLE credit. I have zero financial aid. It doesn't hurt right now but it surely will when I graduate and the loans need to be paid :mad: :eek:

Right now I'm playing the work and save(sometimes :) ) game. I have a little under a year to go for my Bachelors in Business Administration.....can't wait to get out and get a permanent job.

Anyway, good luck with the classes, criminal law classes are always interesting from what I hear.

Geez! Where are you going to school?!:eek: :eek:
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• zombie boy 2000
    edited January 2007
    ... and don't forget -- with the USGov, the raises keep coming and coming and coming so chump change turns into posh living over time...

Just an option. You have years to decide. Congrats again!!
  • BaggedLancer
    edited January 2007
    Geez! Where are you going to school?!:eek: :eek:

nulogo3.gif
    www.neu.edu
  • wingnut4772
    edited January 2007
    I think that's where my roommate went. Pretty pricey but I bet it will be worth it.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited January 2007
    And the gov offers their employees kick **** retirement programs...

One other thought, do some research as to where you want to work and ask them specifically what degrees and coursework focus' that they are looking for so you can be more marketable to the companies you want to work for. 70-80K is nothing to sneeze at. I hope you can make at least that much starting out, might be tight.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • BaggedLancer
    edited January 2007
    I think that's where my roommate went. Pretty pricey but I bet it will be worth it.

Yep there co-op program is #1 in the country. You get the experience for your resume + the money + the networking to land you a big job right out of school.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited January 2007
    I would be lying if I said I did not want to make tons of dough. I have heard that from a lot of people actually....that many law graduates are not really making bank. What gives there?

Supply and demand. There are too many lawyers in America, so many of them don't make very much money unless they have connections or graduate at the top of their class. Your situation is probably a bit different because you already have extensive experience in law enforcement.

BTW Wing -- what does the Legal Bureau do? Thanks.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • wingnut4772
    edited January 2007
    jdhdiggs wrote:
    And the gov offers their employees kick **** retirement programs...

One other thought, do some research as to where you want to work and ask them specifically what degrees and coursework focus' that they are looking for so you can be more marketable to the companies you want to work for. 70-80K is nothing to sneeze at. I hope you can make at least that much starting out, might be tight.

No. I am not sneezing but that is with OT and having to shoot people for a living which I would rather not do anymore.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited January 2007
    when I graduated in 2001 my tuition for the year was ~$25,000 :eek:

I'll be paying student loans for a long long time :o