Modifications to the RTA 15TL

14567810»

Comments

• BSUfbfan
    BSUfbfan Posts: 201
    There is a single SL3000 on Ebay right now... snag it and then let us know where you live so one of us can help you install it and i'd updrade the caps at the same time
    SDA SRS 2.3
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,527
    edited January 2023
    mrwirez wrote: »
    Hello Polkies! Long time lurker. I'm looking for someone that rebuilds the RTA-15TLs. I don't know the first thing about it. I bought the speakers new in 1991 and they sat for the last 5 years as we've been busy. I recently brought them up and they sounded ok. Then I blew an SL3000 Tweeter. So it's time for an upgrade. I contacted the fellow that used to do them on from here and eBay, but no longer does that work. Any ideas? Thanks.

I think you are going to get a lot of recommendations to swap the SL3000s out for the latest generation RD0198-1s as your first upgrade. I did this a few months ago now. I honestly didn't notice a very significant difference (maybe a little less sizzle on the very top end), but I also upgraded my amp around the same time, so it is hard to know for sure. I only say all that to offer up one of my SL3000s if you want to stay with those to get back up and running as you consider mods. You can have either the original February 1992 dated one I have, or the August 1996 warranty replacement. Just cover shipping cost for me via PP F&F. The two do look different. The earlier one has a "blacker" dome, whereas the replacement is more silver in color. I'll post photos if you're interested in going that route.

As far as all the other possible mods, I'll let the experts here chime in. Oddly, I was just getting ready to start a thread on what is going on with the refresh of my own RTA-15TLs which I also purchased new, when I saw your post. Mine's going to be a pretty minimalist approach compared to what you see in this thread and others here, but the recommendation to let everyone know at least your general location is a good one. I ran into the same thing with the fellow you are talking about, but ended up getting help from a member about 30 miles away from me. The folks on here have a ton of experience and knowledge and are more than willing to help.
    Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM