I'm Listening to Music Again!

hearingimpared
hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
edited January 2007 in The Clubhouse
Well after 20 years of being out of the audio game and the past 5 months of gathering new and old gear to put together a rig. . . I FINALLY GOT IT UP AND RUNNING!!! I actually got it fired up Wednesday night at 6:00 PM. . .you didn't think I was going to be on this forum between then and now talking to you loosers when I could sit in my own house and listen to music did you? LOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!

Seriously, I fired it up at 6:00 PM (the digital front end) and tried to take all your advise on letting it run quietly for a few days. . . that lasted an hour and 15 minutes. That's like holding up a glass of water in front of a man dying of thirst. At 7:15, I had that baby singing, blasting, every genre of music of I have on CD. I was completely blown away how good the rig sounded with this rough draft configuration it is in. I actually had tears of gratitude running down my face when I got around to listening to my Jazz at the Pawnshop CD, I'm not kidding, my wife had to bring me tissues. I then placed my wife in the sweet spot and my little guy next to her and blasted, Queen, "Another One Bites the Dust" with the attenuator at 11:30. At 10:00 it is very very loud so with it up higher the whole house was rocking and not one little bit of distortion or clipping. The 1.2 TLs are magnificant. I heard only mild brightness on some CDs (on the Best of Sweet it was unlistenable but that is the disc) but a natural sound from most. Of course I don't have the system or the room tweaked out yet but it really sounds awesome.

My wife has never heard a "high or higher end" system and she is blown away with it. She is constantly in the room with me as a matter of fact she helped me build and had some good input when I hit a snag. As a matter of fact as I am writing this in the office, she in blasting Envogue, "The Best Of" in the media room.

Anyhoooo I took some pictures but they don't do it justice so until I get pics that I'm happy with I'm not posting any. You should see it. . . especially with the Sansuii Tuna that I purchased from Russ it just looks so cool.

That first night I listened to music for 6 straight hours . . . the time flies when I am listening. The SDA effect, well I'm not sure about what people have been writing when they say things like, " So & Sos guitar sounded like it was coming from all the way out in the side yard." I haven't heard anything quite that dramatic yet and I don't really want to. I want the music to sound natural which at this time it does. The only recoding that comes close to that "sound effect" is my Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits. There is definetely some effects going on there but that is the only one so far.

The imaging is precise and sometimes staggering. I have a CD "Opus 3" "A selection from 'Testrecord 1, 2, &3'" where there are pop, blues, jazz and classical tracks. . .this disc sounds incredible the imaging in pinpoint acurate. There are startling pieces on this disc where there is a blues/jazz band playing a dueling passage where every instrument, tuba, clarinet, sax, bass, banjo and drums are clearly defined and the depth of the soundstage is deep and blatant.

As far as the rack goes I found that the 9" rack wasn't high enough to accomodate the 5" of space over top of the Adcoms they require. So I took (at my wife's suggestion) 2" aluminum footer cones and made sorbothane circles to match the top side of the cone and placed them upside down with the sorbothane as an adherant on the five pillars of the 3" rack base, points up. I then placed the defective 9" rack, that I received from Linda Fang's company with the holes where the spiked feet would have been, on top of the aluminum cones, it was a perfect fit and since there is no shelf, allows about 12" of space overtop of the Adcoms I then built the remander with the rest of the rack . . . by the way, I have to say UP YOURS LINDA FANG:eek: . . . you tried to screw me by not giving me the spikes for the replacement rack :confused: and I still got to use your defective 9" rack. :cool:

I'm waiting for an audio lead to be shipped from SME (this is a lead that goes from the tonearm to the preamp) so that I can get my analog ears on. . . I can't wait but I gotta tell ya, that $150 Oppo (w/Marigo tweak) with the Timbre DAC, Spectral pre combo sounds really really good.

Antny was over today delivering my HT speaker and CRSs. . . he liked what he heard, I'll let him tell you about it. BTW the CRSs that Jesse reworked are beautiful here.

Anyway. . . I really want to thank all of you who gave me advise and encouragment over the past five months. I love my rig and I love this forum.

I'M SOOOOOOO HAPPY!!!:)
Post edited by hearingimpared on

Comments

• wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited January 2007
    Woohoo!Enjoy it!:D
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited January 2007
    That's awesome, hearingimpaired! Glad to hear you're finally back into the groove of things!! :)
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited January 2007
    Thanks wonderful Joe! Put in Van Morrison's "Moondance" for a little SDA juju!
    Carl

• Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited January 2007
    Glad to hear it Joe. Post some pics would love to see the setup.
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2007
    schwarcw wrote:
    Thanks wonderful Joe! Put in Van Morrison's "Moondance" for a little SDA juju!

I know I have that LP well maybe if it hasn't been destroyed by the flood. I have close to 1k cds I need to go through to find it. . . if I have it I will be listening for the juju tonight.

juju you are showing your age dude that is an old Jonny Weismueller Tarzan movie saying, "Ugh bad juju, no go there."
  • joeparaski
    joeparaski Posts: 1,865
    edited January 2007
    Wow man, simply awesome, can't wait to see the pics.

Joe
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited January 2007
    congrats,, glad to hear that those mono's with the mc upgrades worked out. I know that you have been waiting some time to get them togrther,,have fun,,enjoy.;)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited January 2007
    Ahhh, the sound of a happy Polk Folk. Awesome and congrats Joe.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited January 2007
    Very Cool !

I`m glad you finaly get to enjoy the music....
    It does the soul good !

It is also cool to see/hear how excited you are !
    It`s a great feeling , isn`t it ?!
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2007
    Joe,

Congrats on getting your rig up and running. Sounds like you are in 7th heaven right now.. it's very cool when it all comes together and sounds as good as it does. Right on my friend!!

Are you new to SDA's? Is this your first pair of SDA's?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2007
    beardog03 wrote:
    Very Cool !

I`m glad you finaly get to enjoy the music....
    It does the soul good !

It is also cool to see/hear how excited you are !
    It`s a great feeling , isn`t it ?!

You got that right Brother. . .I think I am mellowing in my old age too because I find myself just enjoying the music and not obsessing over making the system sound better. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .well not yet!:eek:

Thanks,
    Joe
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2007
    danger boy wrote:
    Joe,

Congrats on getting your rig up and running. Sounds like you are in 7th heaven right now.. it's very cool when it all comes together and sounds as good as it does. Right on my friend!!

Are you new to SDA's? Is this your first pair of SDA's?

No Al, I bought a pair of SDA/SRSs back in I think 1984 or 5. I was tailing Matt Polk at the 1987 CES raving to him about how much I loved the SRSs. That is why when I found out that 2 channel audio was still alive and well this past June, I saw these baby's on ebay and outbid them all to get them. I knew what the SDA/SRSs could do so I knew that 3 or 4 versions better had to be worth the >700 mile round trip to pick them up.

I now have two sets of SDAs. The 1.2 TLs and the CRSs I bought from Antny. Ya know what the greatest thing about all this is. . .my wife is so into this with me. I mean I can blast these bad boys anytime of day or night and she has no problem with that, she and my little guy sleep right through it. . . how many guys can say that?

I'm telling you I am the luckiest guy in whole world!!!!
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2007
    Very cool!
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited January 2007
    No doubt, you are one happy camper!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited January 2007
    AHHH...another happy ending!Congrats on the tunes.You by chance didn't give Antny pastries did you ? He turns into those critters on Gremlins when he eats pastries.:D
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited January 2007
    Check the back of the manual and this thread for suggested songs. http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22736
    Ya know what the greatest thing about all this is. . .my wife is so into this with me.
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited January 2007
    how about some pic's,,especially of those adcom guts ;)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited January 2007
    I'm glad I am not the only one who acts like a "Kid in a Candy Store" when gear arrives. That's what makes this so much fun.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,480
    edited January 2007
    I think I am mellowing in my old age too because I find myself just enjoying the music and not obsessing over making the system sound better. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .well not yet!:eek:

Hey, quit bein a picky bastage! Get some discipline man. I'd lend ya some but don't have any to spare. :D

Glad you are enjoying yourself Joe. It has been a long dry spell, eh?

Edit: And like George said, pics man, pics.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited January 2007
    He's going CRAZY. This freak is 100% certifiable. He should just go ahead and call the boys in the white coats now...

But seriously, we have the makings of one extremely listenable rig here. This was the first time I got to listen to a set of 1.2TL's.(I've gotten my ears on a couple pairs of 2.3TL's) And I like it.ALOT. It's just what you think it would be. HUGE sound, SLAMMING dynamics, VISCERAL bass, detail like you are sitting for a personal show with the band. So far in my life, these babies would be the only thing I'd consider to take the place of my CA Platinums.

The imaging is right on. I listened to a couple of tracks and was swept up in the music. Close your eyes and see the musician kind of ****. I have some music I want to hear on that rig. I wish I had more time to play with them, but it'll come. I wanna hear his TT running.

The rig has some space issues at this point. You're going to have a hard time at this point with a rig that large until everything gets situated. Rome wasn't built in a day...

He's got a stellar rig to listen to while he squares everything away, though...;)

Right now it sounds great. Friggin' Awesome. I can only imagine how it will be after he gets settled into the house and dials it all in.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited January 2007
    Glad you're having fun Joe.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2007
    SCompRacer wrote:
    Hey, quit bein a picky bastage! Get some discipline man. I'd lend ya some but don't have any to spare. :D

Glad you are enjoying yourself Joe. It has been a long dry spell, eh?

Edit: And like George said, pics man, pics.

D-I-S-C-I-P-L-I-N-E Discipline, I've never heard that word before, what does it mean.! LOL
  • Normanality
    Normanality Posts: 297
    edited January 2007
    Excellent!

Congrats on the rebirth of audio in your world!
    I did the same thing last year rebuilding after almost 15 years away.

Now I can't break myself away from the listening chamber!
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,480
    edited January 2007
    D-I-S-C-I-P-L-I-N-E Discipline, I've never heard that word before, what does it mean.! LOL

I only know what it means when I am broke. :D
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2007
    SCompRacer wrote:
    I only know what it means when I am broke. :D

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!
  • Libertyc
    Libertyc Posts: 915
    edited January 2007
    I can't wait to get overthere and listen the rig. I'm happy for you Joe...it was a long wait. I would have had those Adcoms hooked up sittiing on milk crates. How about next weekend for a long demo??
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2007
    Libertyc wrote:
    I can't wait to get overthere and listen the rig. I'm happy for you Joe...it was a long wait. I would have had those Adcoms hooked up sittiing on milk crates. How about next weekend for a long demo??

You're on Brother, just let me know the time.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited January 2007
    Late chiming in...but sounds fantastic.

I think that's one thing that tends to get lost in the shuffle here as we pontificate about gear, just the sheer joy of listening to music. I've been there and that's one my things now, I'm pretty much done chasing gear. I've got the stuff I want. Now I'm more into building and listening to my music library.

Good on ya, Joe. That Willie Nelson Stardust LP is a good SDA demo as well.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited January 2007
    Man whats left say, congrats, and send your wife to me, a real keeper there.

RT1
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited January 2007
    Thats great!! Sit back and enjoy it. You deserve it after all that moving.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880